BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

11-29-2019, 06:08 PM   #221
Powashiftin
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartledoo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powashiftin View Post
You should just have it coded.
Lol this topic is an endless circle. It can't be coded. Otherwise, somebody would know how.
I'm assuming you're referring to a non I-drive vehicle, correct? If so, then I wasn't aware of that issue. Nonetheless, you should look into one of the pro's on the forum to assist.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 06:18 PM   #222
Bartledoo
Driver
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
I'm assuming you're referring to a non I-drive vehicle, correct? If so, then I wasn't aware of that issue. Nonetheless, you should look into one of the pro's on the forum to assist.
The pros have already tried and failed...unless one is lurking with knowledge above all of the other pros, but doesn't want to attract customers with a desired result that only they can produce. I doubt it because anyone with a special ability in that field would want to show it off, regardless of how small it is.
      12-03-2019, 12:09 PM   #223
Drifter2090
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 | E92 335i | E90 335d

Damn, I guess its much harder than I thought. Was looking at a 6mt car that doesn't have I drive or the M button. But it seems like even with the retrofit, it will change the audio source.
SS2-FR E90 M3 6MT / IND / AFE / ActiveAutowerke - SOLD
AW-FR E90 M3 DCT / ACM / IND / AutoTecknic / K&N / H&R / Bilstein - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 01:15 PM   #224
GORDON.M3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 • F25 X3 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter2090 View Post
Damn, I guess its much harder than I thought. Was looking at a 6mt car that doesn't have I drive or the M button. But it seems like even with the retrofit, it will change the audio source.
It's really not a problem. if your radio is off then the M button would just trigger and not the audio source.
Appreciate 1
      12-04-2019, 01:22 PM   #225
Drifter2090
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 | E92 335i | E90 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by GORDON.M3 View Post
It's really not a problem. if your radio is off then the M button would just trigger and not the audio source.
Damn, that's still kind of annoying though. I wonder if the media source button has an extra cable, or if its just all software.
SS2-FR E90 M3 6MT / IND / AFE / ActiveAutowerke - SOLD
AW-FR E90 M3 DCT / ACM / IND / AutoTecknic / K&N / H&R / Bilstein - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 01:52 PM   #226
GORDON.M3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 • F25 X3 M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter2090 View Post
Damn, that's still kind of annoying though. I wonder if the media source button has an extra cable, or if its just all software.
all software mostly. the guy said he switched to the M button pcb set and it still didn't do anything, audio was still switching so.. there hasn't been a break through yet.
Appreciate 1
      02-10-2020, 09:29 AM   #227
pyhee
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 M3

Thumbs up Great discussions

Hey guys thank you for all the discussions. I have been trying to sort out a M-button related problem so the above information are very helpful. Please keep it on if you have any progress
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 03:23 PM   #228
OneWhite35
Private
Rep
Drives: White 135i N55 DCT

Thank you for this thread. My car is an 2008 no iDrive but I am running into some issues.

I have retrofitted a SZL module from an M3 that had MDM. I went through NCSExpert and added $2MD to the CAS, FRM, and NFRM modules; then, I processed all the ECU modules with the exception of 2MULF, 8BMOT, and MASK as they are giving me errors when I tried to write to them.

Pressing the change audio source button causes the green "M" icon to pop up on my dash, but no MDM. I tried pressing and holding down the change audio source button for 5 seconds as well as I have read that this is how to turn on/off MDM for non-iDrive models, but nothing happens. Is there an additional step required for non-iDrive models?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2020, 09:46 AM   #229
rg1220
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by S14turbo View Post
For those guys want self Code it:
NCS-Expert

1. Change VO to add $2MD in CAS & NFRM (NFRM updates FRM automatically) [modules that store the VO] using NCS Expertmode (Read VIN & VO, Update VO with $2MD, Write VO to ECU's using FA_WRITE) - <F1><F3><F2><F6><F4><F2>FA_WRITE<F3> for each of the 3 modules.

2. Process car using NCS Expertmode to set factory defaults for updated VO (Read VIN & VO, Process Car) <F1><F3><F6><F3>Process Car<F1>Code Car.

If stuck on most2 just Code all other modules with clear man file

Ediabas:

3. Reset steering angle sensor using Tool32 DSC_87.prg lenkwinkel_dsc_abgleichen.
4. Reset any faults using INPA <F9> E90 Functional Jobs <F4> <F2> Clear Error Memory.

Done with k+d-can cable just few minutes ago
So I followed this, but it seems that my idrive doesn't have the M Drive option. It still has the original M Key option. I suspect it's related to processing the car and thus my computer setup. When I Load Profile (Manipulation) -> Start -> Choose ECU it only shows CAS/NFRM/FRM. Is that normal? Also when Processing ECU and reading it, it doesn't show the DSC module. I setup the e89 daten files per the BMW Standard Tools instructions (but didn't click Update Winkfp in BMW Coding Tool as I didn't know if I needed to update software).

Pressing the button on the steering wheel that would say M (I didn't replace that yet), shows the (M) symbol on the dash. And DSC appears to be setup properly (no errors after doing 3 and 4).

Any thoughts or ideas?

Also I have a 2011.0 e92 M3 if that makes any difference.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2020, 12:26 PM   #230
rg1220
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg1220 View Post
So I followed this, but it seems that my idrive doesn't have the M Drive option. It still has the original M Key option. I suspect it's related to processing the car and thus my computer setup. When I Load Profile (Manipulation) -> Start -> Choose ECU it only shows CAS/NFRM/FRM. Is that normal? Also when Processing ECU and reading it, it doesn't show the DSC module. I setup the e89 daten files per the BMW Standard Tools instructions (but didn't click Update Winkfp in BMW Coding Tool as I didn't know if I needed to update software).

Pressing the button on the steering wheel that would say M (I didn't replace that yet), shows the (M) symbol on the dash. And DSC appears to be setup properly (no errors after doing 3 and 4).

Any thoughts or ideas?

Also I have a 2011.0 e92 M3 if that makes any difference.
Just an update to my post above. I was able to get it to work!
This is the most important part:

Quote:
2. Process car using NCS Expertmode to set factory defaults for updated VO (Read VIN & VO, Process Car) <F1><F3><F6><F3>Process Car<F1>Code Car.

If stuck on most2 just Code all other modules with clear man file
I got stuck on the 2nd module in the list when processing car so it didn't code any of the other modules. I then went through and manually processed each ECU. These are the modules I ended up coding: (the first module in the list but I forgot to write it down), 8BMOT, ABG, BFGB, BFS, CAS, CIC, and M3DSC.

Not sure if I should have continued and coded all the other modules or not but Mdrive showed up in iDrive and I also have a backup camera from a previous owner and was hoping I wouldn't break that so I decided to stop there.

OneWhite35 helped me a lot with this. He has a non-idrive car and did the same steps as me but wasn't able to get it to work. If anyone else has any ideas, let him know!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2021, 07:41 AM   #231
Epoustouflant
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Quote:
The pros have already tried and failed...unless one is lurking with knowledge above all of the other pros, but doesn't want to attract customers with a desired result that only they can produce. I doubt it because anyone with a special ability in that field would want to show it off, regardless of how small it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GtiGyver View Post
Quote:
Lol this topic is an endless circle. It can't be coded. Otherwise, somebody would know how.
Exactly.

Using an M3's iDrive's steering angle sensor module and steering controls with the M and custom star button are not enough.
There is something else. Just not sure what.

Knowing that the GTS doesn't have iDrive, but does have an optional radio, there must be a way...
Any breakthrough?

I'll do this in the Spring as I got the SZL part coming in. The media switching with Mdrive sounds like a nagging bug.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2021, 11:20 AM   #232
Bartledoo
Driver
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epoustouflant View Post
Any breakthrough?

I'll do this in the Spring as I got the SZL part coming in. The media switching with Mdrive sounds like a nagging bug.
Nah. Everytime someone claims they will figure it out and report back, it's crickets. It didn't really bother me when I was still using it though. Just press the button 3 times and your media stays the same. Becomes a weird habit.
      01-07-2021, 10:56 PM   #233
powerbait
postimus minimus
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 addiction

Garage List
2018 BMW M3  [10.00]
1998 BMW M3  [8.75]
2010 BMW M3  [9.37]
2006 BMW M3  [10.00]
The audio source switching is really not that big of a deal, sometimes if you press it quick enough the M mode comes on and the audio source doesn’t change. I’m at about a 50% rate of change at this point.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2021, 05:49 AM   #234
2226cc
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M3 E92

Hallo,

So trying to get a M button on my 08' without idrive to work. I got a SZL from a car with M button and fitted it.

Coded the VO with $2MD and they show up in the VO from CAS FRM and NFRM now.
Did the adaptions on the angle sensor and no faults are showing an the green M lights up when i press the button the car also goes in power mode.

So that seems to work okay just the only this is i don't really notice a difference between M mode and no M mode. Traction control is in both settings very aggressive.

Is there anything i missed? I was really hoping for the DTC to be a bit more fun.
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2021, 11:16 AM   #235
pyhee
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2226cc View Post
So that seems to work okay just the only this is i don't really notice a difference between M mode and no M mode. Traction control is in both settings very aggressive.

Is there anything i missed? I was really hoping for the DTC to be a bit more fun.
Hi first congratulations on the success!

To me the power mode makes quite difference. So I usually drive in normal mode for comfort and sometimes in power mode for fun.

You have to see yellow MDM light on the cluster to make sure the traction control is in M Dynamic Mode. If you feel it still intervening too much, try code EuroMDM in the DME module.
-HiFi to Logic 7 (Top HiFi) retrofit
-OEM backup camera retrofit -E9x M3 M-Drive retrofit
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2022, 09:26 PM   #236
yeedub
Rep
Drives: Telsa Model 3

I'm stuck where I can turn on M mode in the cluster but the MDM doesn't turn on. I can't process the whole car because some modules have an error, including 2mulf and 8bmot

2008 M3 no I drive
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2022, 08:03 PM   #237
yeedub
Rep
Drives: Telsa Model 3

For those with an early car that has done the coding and not able to get MDM working, what you have to do is update the DME software to something newer (like 240E). You may or may not need the M drive buttons but I put them in and everything including MDM works. You can even remember the settings such as Power mode on/off by holding down the M button for 2 seconds and then you see it flash in the gauge cluster.
Appreciate 1
S55_M376.50
      04-26-2022, 06:05 PM   #238
chocstraw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP

I've listed the steering stalk pulled from my car for sale.

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showth...0#post28840630
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2022, 07:58 AM   #239
jaeyon
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Just did this tonight but my car already had an NBTEVO retrofit. I can get the green m logo on the dash by pressing the button, but unable to access the M drive menu via idrive (nbtevo2). Anyone know what needs to be done to address this? Assuming the nbtevo needs to be coded for the m drive menu
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2022, 01:20 PM   #240
Frostynorth
Weirdo
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

For all those without NAV and can't get it to work. Here's some hopefully helpful information.

2011 M3 (03/11 build date) - Bimmergeeks expert cable.
Swapped in the SZL.

Coded car as per this post.

The following two things came up after in step 1 in above post.
First - NCSExpert had the following error during the coding where it stopped and I didn't continue.
Name:  error.png
Views: 407
Size:  9.7 KB

The car should not have a CICM listed in NCSExpert. (INPA shows the RAD2 (MOSTGW & MASK/CCC) in Identification and User information field)

Second - A fault in INPA - UIF: "50 SINE Error_Ecu_Subfunction_Not_Supported__Invalid_Forma t" (cannot confirm if this was there before retrofit)

Have yet to resolve these faults, but the car and radio operate normally.

--

After the initial coding pressing the M button, the green M lit up & power button turned ON, but no MDM (radio also switched sources). Noticed when turning on the ignition that MDM does light up on initial startup of the cluster.

Decided to default code every module one at a time, except for CICM - still errors out in NCSExpert (now: CODIERDATEN_LESSEN)

After default codding & starting the car, pressed the M button no change. I've read that holding the button down saves settings for no nav cars. Pressed the power button to shut it off, held the M button for about 5 seconds and MDM lit up. Immediately codded in Euro_MDM and went for a drive.

Steering is on sport mode and the car doesn't interfere as aggressively. Would still prefer it was even less aggressive, but it's much much better than before.

--

Regarding the radio switching sources, there is a MDrive option in the RAD22.C34 (RAD22_MDRIVE) that might be related, but can't test this until the radio communication is resolved.

Will update once again if I sort out those two faults. Current idea is to update the two modules with winkfp. Have also read about needing ICOM to communicate safely to the radio. Unsure, there's conflicting information on this.

If anyone has an insight it would be greatly appreciated.

Much thanks to jp1984 for helping bounce ideas back and forth.
Appreciate 1
jp1984506.00
      07-17-2022, 10:15 PM   #241
alamo89
Private
Rep
Drives: M3

I need this so bad, I have a 2011 single hump. What do I need to change to have this?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2022, 11:48 AM   #242
jp1984
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: an E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostynorth View Post
For all those without NAV and can't get it to work. Here's some hopefully helpful information.

2011 M3 (03/11 build date) - Bimmergeeks expert cable.
Swapped in the SZL.

Coded car as per this post.

The following two things came up after in step 1 in above post.
First - NCSExpert had the following error during the coding where it stopped and I didn't continue.
Attachment 2932520

The car should not have a CICM listed in NCSExpert. (INPA shows the RAD2 (MOSTGW & MASK/CCC) in Identification and User information field)

Second - A fault in INPA - UIF: "50 SINE Error_Ecu_Subfunction_Not_Supported__Invalid_Forma t" (cannot confirm if this was there before retrofit)

Have yet to resolve these faults, but the car and radio operate normally.

--

After the initial coding pressing the M button, the green M lit up & power button turned ON, but no MDM (radio also switched sources). Noticed when turning on the ignition that MDM does light up on initial startup of the cluster.

Decided to default code every module one at a time, except for CICM - still errors out in NCSExpert (now: CODIERDATEN_LESSEN)

After default codding & starting the car, pressed the M button no change. I've read that holding the button down saves settings for no nav cars. Pressed the power button to shut it off, held the M button for about 5 seconds and MDM lit up. Immediately codded in Euro_MDM and went for a drive.

Steering is on sport mode and the car doesn't interfere as aggressively. Would still prefer it was even less aggressive, but it's much much better than before.

--

Regarding the radio switching sources, there is a MDrive option in the RAD22.C34 (RAD22_MDRIVE) that might be related, but can't test this until the radio communication is resolved.

Will update once again if I sort out those two faults. Current idea is to update the two modules with winkfp. Have also read about needing ICOM to communicate safely to the radio. Unsure, there's conflicting information on this.

If anyone has an insight it would be greatly appreciated.

Much thanks to jp1984 for helping bounce ideas back and forth.
My Friend here has been absolutely incredible in this project. I can't wait to see this nailed down, for any other coders out there, lets solve this for community good!

I can't wait until this is complete, it seriously made my day every little baby step we took!

Appreciate 0