BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications
 
European Auto Source (EAS)
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-19-2019, 02:49 PM   #1
O2ShootTheJ
Second Lieutenant
45
Rep
257
Posts

Drives: 08 E92 M3 AW/FR
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: VA

iTrader: (1)

VF650 high oil temps....best upgraded oil cooler?

Hey guys. So ever since I had my E92 with VF650 dyno tuned over the winter Iíve had a problem with the car running hot when ambient temps are 80s+ with just normal driving. Will usually be a hair over 210, but occasionally will get half way between the 210 and the dot before 300 when itís hot outside. The picture below is a little cooler than it was before I took the picture.

Main question here, is what upgraded oil cooler options do we have and what seems to be working the best for everyone?
Attached Images
 
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2019, 10:00 AM   #2
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
561
Rep
1,099
Posts

Drives: like a granny.
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Manhatan

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to amrazM
Do88 oil cooler and radiator
Appreciate 2
      07-20-2019, 11:29 AM   #3
Mr_Reeves
New Member
2
Rep
8
Posts

Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Bath, UK.

iTrader: (0)

^ Second this. Most of the track day people I know use D088. I'm having one installed later this year as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 12:09 AM   #4
O2ShootTheJ
Second Lieutenant
45
Rep
257
Posts

Drives: 08 E92 M3 AW/FR
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: VA

iTrader: (1)

Thank you guys!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 12:12 AM   #5
O2ShootTheJ
Second Lieutenant
45
Rep
257
Posts

Drives: 08 E92 M3 AW/FR
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: VA

iTrader: (1)

Am I seeing this right? $4,000 for a radiator and oil cooler?? My car is only worth like $25,000 now lol
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 04:39 AM   #6
nycplumber
Captain
170
Rep
653
Posts

Drives: slow
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: nyc

iTrader: (0)

Are you sure you have the correct currency selected? Radiator is $545 and oil cooler is $599 USD
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 04:41 AM   #7
M3SQRD
Brigadier General
M3SQRD's Avatar
United_States
386
Rep
3,270
Posts

Drives: E92 M3,R56 S,F22 240iX,F82 M4
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: EC

iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by O2ShootTheJ View Post
Am I seeing this right? $4,000 for a radiator and oil cooler?? My car is only worth like $25,000 now lol
No. It’s only ~$1350 for the do88 radiator, oil cooler and power steering cooler (best buy if you have a MT) whereas it’s ~$1150 for just the radiator and oil cooler (power steering cooler is $400). If you have a DCT (I think you do based on your pic), their “big pack”, which includes the radiator, oil cooler, power steering cooler and DCT cooler, is ~$2150.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 06:37 AM   #8
Not Sure
Private First Class
105
Rep
187
Posts

Drives: 2013 E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Mich

iTrader: (0)

are OP's temps (220-230 deg) even an issue? seems pretty typical for this platform.
Appreciate 1
      07-23-2019, 07:47 AM   #9
msan
Major
315
Rep
1,040
Posts

Drives: 2011 E90 M3 / 2012 X5 35i M Sp
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Los Angeles, CA

iTrader: (15)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Sure View Post
are OP's temps (220-230 deg) even an issue? seems pretty typical for this platform.
I agree thatís normal for hot weather and pushing the car a little bot
Appreciate 1
      07-23-2019, 12:03 PM   #10
ebisu8
Major
ebisu8's Avatar
United_States
283
Rep
1,179
Posts

Drives: ///M
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Peachtree Corners, GA

iTrader: (63)

I have the full Big Pack do88 setup and I'm using it with my 6MT. No complaints, perfect fitment, fast shipping from do88 and it does what it needs to do.

https://www.do88.se/en/artiklar/bmw-...k-dkg-dct.html
__________________
|Instagram - ebisu8_m3|OEM GTS|BMW Motorsport|Recaro|Brey-Krause|Akrapovic GT4|BBS E88|Bilstein|FallLine|SPLParts|Harrop|Alekshop|BPM |MRF RBs|Dinan|BMW Performance|Motorsport Hardware|do88|MFactory|CAE|IND|AP Essex|Vibra-Technics|UCP|Voltphreaks|
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 12:22 PM   #11
E4superfly
Enlisted Member
14
Rep
47
Posts

Drives: e92 m3
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Abu dhabi

iTrader: (0)

alternatives

I was thinking of running csf triple pass radiator with alekshop oil cooler any thoughts or comments
__________________
like a boss
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 01:18 PM   #12
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
561
Rep
1,099
Posts

Drives: like a granny.
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Manhatan

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to amrazM
Quote:
Originally Posted by E4superfly View Post
I was thinking of running csf triple pass radiator with alekshop oil cooler any thoughts or comments
No offense to Alekshop but you may want to do some research on here regarding their oil cooler before you buy one.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 02:04 PM   #13
BigBoosting
Captain
87
Rep
623
Posts

Drives: 09' M3 6MT
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Grand Rapids

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by msan View Post
I agree thatís normal for hot weather and pushing the car a little bot
He clearly states his car gets that hot with normal driving, which is abnormal.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 03:24 PM   #14
O2ShootTheJ
Second Lieutenant
45
Rep
257
Posts

Drives: 08 E92 M3 AW/FR
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: VA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3SQRD View Post
No. Itís only ~$1350 for the do88 radiator, oil cooler and power steering cooler (best buy if you have a MT) whereas itís ~$1150 for just the radiator and oil cooler (power steering cooler is $400). If you have a DCT (I think you do based on your pic), their ďbig packĒ, which includes the radiator, oil cooler, power steering cooler and DCT cooler, is ~$2150.
Ah thatís much more reasonable. Thanks! And yes Iím DCT.

Do I just buy from the Do88 website? Any issues with shipping to the US?

And yea Iím getting that toasty with normal driving. Would rather be safe than sorry. I may wait and see how it handles the Texas heat/humidity before I order the kit from Do88 though.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2019, 03:57 PM   #15
Makaveli7
Enthusiast
Makaveli7's Avatar
Lebanon
82
Rep
98
Posts

Drives: M3 E92 Jerez Black
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Dubai

iTrader: (0)

Im not in the US/Texas but in a place where it gets stupid hot and humid (it was literally 115F today and humidity around 60%).

Ordered the Full kit from Do88 directly after SYT_Shadow amazing review - I'd recommend it to anyone.

Backstory: After the install I was hitting the 222F which was depressing after paying that amount to change the oil cooler, radiator, dct cooler, and power steering cooler (even have the bimmerworld Epic oil diverter), so I went ahead with changing the Water pump and gates 71c thermostat, wonders and miracles came together, average oil temps are:

1- 200 to 208 on normal driving
2- reaches 216 on spirited drives
3- Water varies between 180F to a max of 199F depending on the above and the weather.

Im reading the info on the steering wheel and not gauge as many have pointed that the oil temps gauge is a mix between the oil and coolant reading.

Something I would suggest you look into would be the oil mileage, the coolant quality if its been a while since you changed and ensure your rod bearings are healthy since you are supercharged.

My next step on this will be using water wetter and distilled water to see if it helps getting the coolant temps down.

on that topic, since you have the VF650 which is water/air cooled with an additional intercooler, that should have virtually assisted with getting the oil temps a little lower, so I would suggest you look into the mounted intercooler for the supercharger to see if it is affecting the cooling in anyway, and if you would need any further cooling (ice box, methanol, etc.). I would however wait for the FI experts on these to chime in.
__________________

'08 JB E92 m3 // CCB Brakes // MS intake // Gintani Tune// ARH header & IPE Exhaust // Trinity front lip // VRS diffuser // LCI Taillights // KW Coilover // 3.62 Diff //

https://www.instagram.com/makaveli777/
Appreciate 3
      07-24-2019, 02:49 AM   #16
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
561
Rep
1,099
Posts

Drives: like a granny.
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Manhatan

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to amrazM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makaveli7 View Post
on that topic, since you have the VF650 which is water/air cooled with an additional intercooler, that should have virtually assisted with getting the oil temps a little lower, so I would suggest you look into the mounted intercooler for the supercharger to see if it is affecting the cooling in anyway, and if you would need any further cooling (ice box, methanol, etc.). I would however wait for the FI experts on these to chime in.

VF650 or really any other belt driven forced induction system directly causes the motor to generate more heat because of the additional load placed on the motor at all times.
__________________
2011 Jerez Black/Fox Red E90 M3
NBT Evo, Digital PSW, Dinmann CF, M PERF E Brake.
KW CS 2W, Hotchkits F/R, Solid SF/Diff.
VF620, Borla XPipe, Dinan Exhaust
E90 M3 by Amraz Mohammed,
Appreciate 2
      07-25-2019, 10:38 AM   #17
E90_M3_Dubai
Private
E90_M3_Dubai's Avatar
United Arab Emirates
53
Rep
74
Posts

Drives: 08 E90 M3 - 11 E71 X6M
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Dubai

iTrader: (1)

Oil cooler on its own won't reduce your temps, it will only help to recover back to your "normal" temp quicker than OEM cooler.

Now with FI on an NA engine, you will be producing more heat and your temps passed 220 while cruising in hot weather is believe it or not your new "normal" temps ( as in after the SC install).

now how to reduce that is where you want to focus , and I suggest getting a gauge of some sort to monitor your water and oil temps as a first step so you would accurately check whether the mods are helping you reduce temps or not , the cluster gauge isn't gonna cut it for an FI setup.

Things to do :
1- replace coolant water in your system with a 50/50 BMW coolant and Distilled water mix plus 2 bottles of water wetter.
2- Get an M24 Thermostate kit and replace your OEM
3- GetEpic Motorsports S65 Oil Diverter Valve Kit from bimmerworld website and replace your OEM one .
4- Get an ICEBOX setup from MRF engineering.

doing this will not only reduce your current Oil temps, but it will also give you a constant edge over bad IAT's and this will dramatically enhance your car performance under boost .
__________________
https://www.m3post.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic228756_2.gif
GINTANI STAGE X 723WHP | Built Motor | SYVECS S6+ ECU | SPEC Dual Plates Stg 3 | Recaro Sporster CS | 6 pt Harness | CAE Shifter | Rear Seat Delete | KW V2 | H&R Sport Sway Bars | Brembo 380 BBK | MRF ICEBOX KIT | EWS Titanium Custom Intake |ARH headers | 4.10 Dinan Diff | DSS CF Shaft | DEFIV Rear Differential Brace | M24 Oil Cooler| Toucan Screen
Appreciate 1
      07-25-2019, 01:24 PM   #18
Scharbag
Captain
Scharbag's Avatar
Canada
756
Rep
915
Posts

Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Victoria

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90_M3_Dubai View Post
Oil cooler on its own won't reduce your temps, it will only help to recover back to your "normal" temp quicker than OEM cooler.
That is not entirely true. A more effective oil cooler will reduce peak oil temperature as it is able to remove more thermal energy in the same time period as a smaller cooler. Typically, larger coolers are more effective but proper design can effect the cooler's efficiency.

Think of it this way: if you put an infinitely large oil cooler on your vehicle, you would never be able to heat up the oil at the return line.

And I agree, running the same oil cooler on a NA vs FI engine, the FI engine will always run hotter due to the increased waste heat produced in the engine (more fuel, more heat). That said, if you run a good synthetic engine oil, 260F is still not going to cause much worry. I used to run 290F in a big turbo VW 1.8T all day long and never had any issues before selling the car. Some race forums consider 300F oil temperatures nothing to worry about if using a good synthetic oil.

Cheers,
__________________

2011 E92 M3 - 6MT, ZCP, Dinan Stuff
A wise friend told me "I stopped trying to make a slow car go fast. Instead, I bought a fast car." Sound advice.
Appreciate 1
      07-27-2019, 12:52 AM   #19
gte869h
Upgraded from e46fanatics
gte869h's Avatar
United_States
5
Rep
48
Posts

Drives: 2011 BMW M3 6MT ZCP
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Miami, FL

iTrader: (0)

I saw oil temps drop immediately when I switched to Redline oil from factory or Mobil 1 fill. For those not ready to invest in an upgraded oil cooler (CSF or whatever), this is a real solution.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2019, 11:20 AM   #20
E90_M3_Dubai
Private
E90_M3_Dubai's Avatar
United Arab Emirates
53
Rep
74
Posts

Drives: 08 E90 M3 - 11 E71 X6M
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Dubai

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scharbag View Post
That is not entirely true. A more effective oil cooler will reduce peak oil temperature as it is able to remove more thermal energy in the same time period as a smaller cooler. Typically, larger coolers are more effective but proper design can effect the cooler's efficiency.

Think of it this way: if you put an infinitely large oil cooler on your vehicle, you would never be able to heat up the oil at the return line.

And I agree, running the same oil cooler on a NA vs FI engine, the FI engine will always run hotter due to the increased waste heat produced in the engine (more fuel, more heat). That said, if you run a good synthetic engine oil, 260F is still not going to cause much worry. I used to run 290F in a big turbo VW 1.8T all day long and never had any issues before selling the car. Some race forums consider 300F oil temperatures nothing to worry about if using a good synthetic oil.

Cheers,
with all due respect to your VW experience and the theoretical stuff about oil coolers in general, I'm talking about real-life BMW E9X Oil cooler experience I've installed CSF oil coolers and I've finally used M24 oil cooler and BOTH had no significant effect on idle or daily driving temps , they do a "better" job than OEM cooler in reducing the recovery time as I said but not really reducing oil temps .. I'm not talking about VWs or NA M3s here , I'm the owner of a 720+whp E90 M3 and I literally live in the desert ! lol so I kinda know a thing or two about high oil temps

cheers
__________________
https://www.m3post.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic228756_2.gif
GINTANI STAGE X 723WHP | Built Motor | SYVECS S6+ ECU | SPEC Dual Plates Stg 3 | Recaro Sporster CS | 6 pt Harness | CAE Shifter | Rear Seat Delete | KW V2 | H&R Sport Sway Bars | Brembo 380 BBK | MRF ICEBOX KIT | EWS Titanium Custom Intake |ARH headers | 4.10 Dinan Diff | DSS CF Shaft | DEFIV Rear Differential Brace | M24 Oil Cooler| Toucan Screen
Appreciate 1
      07-27-2019, 07:07 PM   #21
Scharbag
Captain
Scharbag's Avatar
Canada
756
Rep
915
Posts

Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Victoria

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E90_M3_Dubai View Post
with all due respect to your VW experience and the theoretical stuff about oil coolers in general, I'm talking about real-life BMW E9X Oil cooler experience I've installed CSF oil coolers and I've finally used M24 oil cooler and BOTH had no significant effect on idle or daily driving temps , they do a "better" job than OEM cooler in reducing the recovery time as I said but not really reducing oil temps .. I'm not talking about VWs or NA M3s here , I'm the owner of a 720+whp E90 M3 and I literally live in the desert ! lol so I kinda know a thing or two about high oil temps

cheers
No need to get critical.

I am only suggesting that oil coolers will effect oil temperature. This does not mean they can break the rules of thermodynamics. If you have more waste heat than the cooler can remove, then of course you are going to overheat. A better oil cooler will delay overheating while driven the same way as the inferior one. But yes, you will still overheat.

Happy motoring,
__________________

2011 E92 M3 - 6MT, ZCP, Dinan Stuff
A wise friend told me "I stopped trying to make a slow car go fast. Instead, I bought a fast car." Sound advice.
Appreciate 1
      07-28-2019, 12:57 AM   #22
GORDON.M3
Lieutenant Colonel
GORDON.M3's Avatar
Canada
692
Rep
1,947
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: LAX/YYZ/HKG

iTrader: (8)

do88 is the only brand that is worth getting to see any real results in terms of cooling. the csf stuff is not much of an improvement over stock, unfortunately.
__________________
DINAN | EVOSPORT | VAC | ARP | RD SPORT | NEEZ | EIBACH | CSF | IND
Appreciate 2
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:33 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST