BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

07-13-2019, 03:18 AM   #155
igM3NACER
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eduard.A View Post
I have a vf620 kit with AFD flex fuel commander and I've been running full e85 for a month or so and for the most part everything is solid but sometimes I get a fuel pump malfunction and reduced power to 7k rpm.... only happens when i do long pulls and stay at high rpm for a while
Are you on the injectors that came with the kit..?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 03:14 PM   #156
Eduard.A
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by igM3NACER View Post
Quote:
I have a vf620 kit with AFD flex fuel commander and I've been running full e85 for a month or so and for the most part everything is solid but sometimes I get a fuel pump malfunction and reduced power to 7k rpm.... only happens when i do long pulls and stay at high rpm for a while
Are you on the injectors that came with the kit..?
I am on the updated bosh injectors which Mike from BPM said are bigger than the previous VF injectors. He said these should be good to go with e85. You think I'm maxing our injectors? Why would the car throw a fuel pump code if that was the case?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 03:30 PM   #157
8500RPM
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 CP

Quote:
I am on the updated bosh injectors which Mike from BPM said are bigger than the previous VF injectors. He said these should be good to go with e85. You think I'm maxing our injectors? Why would the car throw a fuel pump code if that was the case?
That's probably just the code the ECU thows out if something is off with the fuel system. I doubt the ECU would send a code saying "Injectors MAX DUTY".

1050X injectors seem like the go to right now for E85 custom tunes.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2019, 02:39 PM   #158
Eduard.A
Private First Class
Rep

So as I mentioned before, I have the exact same setup as the OP. Vf620, BPM 93 tune, AFD flex fuel commander... when I dyno my car on full e85 my car made less power than on 93... can someone explain to me how the OP was getting huge power gains and I'm not.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 02:06 AM   #159
JohnEastvold
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Picked up an 6 speed e46 M3. Over the winter im going to do a big single and build the motor. Thats the plan anyway... right now im enjoying the summer with it N/A. Shooting for 900+ wheel on a built block. If i do a stock block ill aim for 600-700 on e85
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 04:22 PM   #160
Properstyle
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 e90 ZCP m3

Quote:
So as I mentioned before, I have the exact same setup as the OP. Vf620, BPM 93 tune, AFD flex fuel commander... when I dyno my car on full e85 my car made less power than on 93... can someone explain to me how the OP was getting huge power gains and I'm not.
lean protection kicking in. the car seeing the lean condition and pulling timing to protect the car as it tries to rich up the mixture.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 04:24 PM   #161
Eduard.A
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Properstyle View Post
Quote:
lean protection kicking in. the car seeing the lean condition and pulling timing to protect the car as it tries to rich up the mixture.
Why was OP not encountering this?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 04:26 PM   #162
Properstyle
Major
Rep

Quote:
varibles in tune. nothing to say the bpm tune he had back then is the same as what you have now it that makes sense. do you have your dyno graph?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 04:32 PM   #163
Eduard.A
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
varibles in tune. nothing to say the bpm tune he had back then is the same as what you have now it that makes sense. do you have your dyno graph?
93 and e85 dynos
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 04:45 PM   #164
Properstyle
Major
Rep

Quote:
93 and e85 dynos
looking at those dates I would look in to what your IATs were when you did these dynos. Part of the reason john made as much as he did was cooler temps where as here in texas is been kicking 90 plus the last 2 months. you can kiss any power good by in this heat.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 04:47 PM   #165
Eduard.A
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
93 and e85 dynos
looking at those dates I would look in to what your IATs were when you did these dynos. Part of the reason john made as much as he did was cooler temps where as here in texas is been kicking 90 plus the last 2 months. you can kiss any power good by in this heat.
100 whp though?
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2019, 11:18 AM   #166
Properstyle
Major
Rep

Quote:
100 whp though?
your air intake temps that day on the dyno had to be almost 130. Our cars pull timing at 100 degrees. Jon also ran a much smaller pulley then you. A 3.40 if I remember correctly he is runing more boost and was in colder climate. Tryna make power this time of the year in Texas is a waste. Humidity and heat kill blower cars.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2019, 11:24 AM   #167
Eduard.A
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
100 whp though?
your air intake temps that day on the dyno had to be almost 130. Our cars pull timing at 100 degrees. Jon also ran a much smaller pulley then you. A 3.40 if I remember correctly he is runing more boost and was in colder climate. Tryna make power this time of the year in Texas is a waste. Humidity and heat kill blower cars.
I get what you're saying but he made 617whp on the same pulley and same tune. I made 478whp. I just feel like there has to be more to it than climate. I could be wrong I'm not a mechanic but I'm just asking.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2019, 07:31 PM   #168
JohnEastvold
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3

Quote:
I get what you're saying but he made 617whp on the same pulley and same tune. I made 478whp. I just feel like there has to be more to it than climate. I could be wrong I'm not a mechanic but I'm just asking.
i never dynoed on 93. i could notice a power increase on e85 though between the two. i ran a 3.33 pulley at roughly 10psi. i had green injectors. bpm vf620 tune for 93. if iran bigger injectors and tune for e85 im sure it could have hit 650-680whp healthily.
(Sold) 2008 BMW M3 Coupe 6mt - VF-Engineering with Advanced fuel dynamics PROFLEX COMMANDER at 10psi 620/435@7800rm
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 11:36 PM   #169
Mdriv3r
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F13 M6

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnEastvold View Post
i never dynoed on 93. i could notice a power increase on e85 though between the two. i ran a 3.33 pulley at roughly 10psi. i had green injectors. bpm vf620 tune for 93. if iran bigger injectors and tune for e85 im sure it could have hit 650-680whp healthily.
Some of the numbers here are impressive. I am looking at upgrading from my ESS kit with black injectors as well. What pulley, injector, and tune do you guys suggest? I am not on the 650 kit.

After reading everything here, I would just like to be on full e85 if possible. I see that people are doing this with the stock system and that is great. Currently, Fuel-it has two options for an inline fuel upgrade, one being a walboro 525. They are both inline kits with a retrofit bracket that fits right in the bucket to run in conjunction with the stock system.

From what I have gathered, The fuel pressure regulator in the car will not allow the extra pump to over pressurize the fuel system. So the hobbs switch option is good bc it just activates @ 4psi and keeps sustained flow. As the demand from e85 gets larger at top past 7k rpm, the secondary should be kicked in by the hobbs switch and keep it sustained.

Would you guys suggest this route? Would this require an injector upgrade as well? or go just with the 1050cc injectors, AFD flex fuel kit, smaller pulley/belt and new tune? Also with a tune accepting e85 and those 1050cc injectors, will it still be able to run 93 as well? Trying to see if I can work out some real flex fuel here, but still get good safe and high whp. 600-ish would be great.

Last thing, have you guys had your 1050cc injectors milled down? How are you mounting them?
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 12:09 AM   #170
Properstyle
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by premo View Post
Quote:
Some of the numbers here are impressive. I am looking at upgrading from my ESS kit with black injectors as well. What pulley, injector, and tune do you guys suggest? I am not on the 650 kit.

After reading everything here, I would just like to be on full e85 if possible. I see that people are doing this with the stock system and that is great. Currently, Fuel-it has two options for an inline fuel upgrade, one being a walboro 525. They are both inline kits with a retrofit bracket that fits right in the bucket to run in conjunction with the stock system.

From what I have gathered, The fuel pressure regulator in the car will not allow the extra pump to over pressurize the fuel system. So the hobbs switch option is good bc it just activates @ 4psi and keeps sustained flow. As the demand from e85 gets larger at top past 7k rpm, the secondary should be kicked in by the hobbs switch and keep it sustained.

Would you guys suggest this route? Would this require an injector upgrade as well? or go just with the 1050cc injectors, AFD felt fuel kit, smaller pulley/belt and new tune? Also with a tune accepting e85 and those 1050cc injectors, will it still be able to run 93 as well? Trying to see if I can work out some real flex fuel here, but still get good safe and high whp. 600-ish would be great.

Last thing, have you guys had your 1050cc injectors milled down? How are you mounting them?
I personally run the fuelit 525kit how ever I do not run anhobbs switch.

I used my meth controler to activate the pump as this allows me to even shut the pump off completely or even test prime it if I want.

I currently run a rather small pulley on my car so when not racing if I do too heavy of a downshift my car will see over 4 psi on decel. That means During normally just sprinted driving the pump would come on and shut off. Becuase our fuel system has the ability to regulate pressure based on voltage I noticed that if they system does this too much it actually will shut the factory pump off becuase the pressure the fuel rail ends up seeing with both pumps on during non full load use is too high.

So when I am not racing I turn my controller off and there is no issue. You may not have this problem but this is just something I noticed while running a smaller pulley

The factory fuel pump is strong enough for full E85 with a smaller pulley up to 4th gear wot. So there really is no need for me to have my secondary pump coming on unless I am actually racing. Not having the pump come on and off so rapidly also preserves the life of the pump.

Next if you install the 1050cc injectors and turn them side ways they clear the valve cover with no issue. Leaving them in factory position is possible but places large amount of stress on the injector as they are shorter and do not perfectly clear.

Lastly. I run a rk tunes map for full E85 and I also have a 93 map. I do not recommend or support any use of a flex fuel box of any kind for out cars as they is no communication with the ecu.

If someone sells you an E85 tune for that box they are actually sending you an aggressive 93 tune that's causes some slight knock the car catches when on 93 and pulls back the timing target. When you put full E85 in the tank the octane is raised. The knock goes away and the car raises the timing target back up which makes it seem like you made more power. Those flex boxes only increase injector duty cycle they do not do anything for timing. Do not use one get a tune made for full E85.

If you have any other question feel free to pm. I've been busy with work and tx2k prep but I do have a full write up on thisncoming.
Appreciate 1
      03-10-2020, 07:57 PM   #171
Mdriv3r
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F13 M6

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by premo View Post
Quote:

Would you guys suggest this route? Would this require an injector upgrade as well? or go just with the 1050cc injectors, AFD felt fuel kit, smaller pulley/belt and new tune? Also with a tune accepting e85 and those 1050cc injectors, will it still be able to run 93 as well? Trying to see if I can work out some real flex fuel here, but still get good safe and high whp. 600-ish would be great.

I personally run the fuelit 525kit how ever I do not run anhobbs switch.

I used my meth controler to activate the pump as this allows me to even shut the pump off completely or even test prime it if I want.

I currently run a rather small pulley on my car so when not racing if I do too heavy of a downshift my car will see over 4 psi on decel. That means During normally just sprinted driving the pump would come on and shut off. Becuase our fuel system has the ability to regulate pressure based on voltage I noticed that if they system does this too much it actually will shut the factory pump off becuase the pressure the fuel rail ends up seeing with both pumps on during non full load use is too high.

So when I am not racing I turn my controller off and there is no issue. You may not have this problem but this is just something I noticed while running a smaller pulley

The factory fuel pump is strong enough for full E85 with a smaller pulley up to 4th gear wot. So there really is no need for me to have my secondary pump coming on unless I am actually racing. Not having the pump come on and off so rapidly also preserves the life of the pump.

Next if you install the 1050cc injectors and turn them side ways they clear the valve cover with no issue. Leaving them in factory position is possible but places large amount of stress on the injector as they are shorter and do not perfectly clear.

Lastly. I run a rk tunes map for full E85 and I also have a 93 map. I do not recommend or support any use of a flex fuel box of any kind for out cars as they is no communication with the ecu.

If someone sells you an E85 tune for that box they are actually sending you an aggressive 93 tune that's causes some slight knock the car catches when on 93 and pulls back the timing target. When you put full E85 in the tank the octane is raised. The knock goes away and the car raises the timing target back up which makes it seem like you made more power. Those flex boxes only increase injector duty cycle they do not do anything for timing. Do not use one get a tune made for full E85.

If you have any other question feel free to pm. I've been busy with work and tx2k prep but I do have a full write up on thisncoming.
I appreciate your post properstyle. I am going to pm you about this. There is alot of detail to this. Also thats great you have the system working well. 4th gear wot is plenty of speed, so I can see why you only use the extra pump when racing.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2020, 12:16 AM   #172
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Eduard.A, you should contact us if you are experiencing any issues and also log the car and send the logs to us for review. There is definitely something wrong if you are receiving a fuel pump malfunction. This is sometimes the pump, pressure sensor, or EKPS control unit. Reach out to us if you need assistance and do not continue to drive the car if you believe something may be awry. Sorry I am just seeing this (6 months later!) and don't recall hearing about this previously. Thanks!

To those interested we offer the 650 pulley upgrades, injectors, and flex fuel kits.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 1
Mdriv3r148.50
      03-15-2020, 11:02 AM   #173
0EMPLUS
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90

Can anyone tell me what is or are the pulley measurements for the 620-650 kits? Newbie sorry
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2020, 09:35 AM   #174
blackbate92m3
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw e92 m3

Quote:
Picked up an 6 speed e46 M3. Over the winter im going to do a big single and build the motor. Thats the plan anyway... right now im enjoying the summer with it N/A. Shooting for 900+ wheel on a built block. If i do a stock block ill aim for 600-700 on e85
What’s your intake temps at WOT
Appreciate 0