BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

07-09-2018, 05:49 PM   #67
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
Yep, that's the joint. There's almost definitely a leak. I don't see how yours could be different unless it was made differently from mine. Really easy to find out, start the car cold, reach under the car to that joint and hold your hand upstream of the clamp not touching the pipe, if you feel exhaust hitting your hand (it won't be hot yet) you has leak

It's slightly quieter in the car now. The additional raspiness/edge from 3k+ with the MPE is still there but now it all comes out the back, heh
Shit howdy, I think I have it too then.
      07-31-2018, 08:53 AM   #68
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

4000 miles no CEL. I guess we'll see what it does on winter gas, but so far the computer is happy. We've had some cooler weather lately (been hot and muggy pretty much solid since I put it on) and I mean, it could be in my head, but it never used to catch this much rubber into 2nd on concrete. Gonna be rowdy when it's 45 out
      08-01-2018, 12:38 PM   #69
L4ces
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Alpine White

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
4000 miles no CEL. I guess we'll see what it does on winter gas, but so far the computer is happy. We've had some cooler weather lately (been hot and muggy pretty much solid since I put it on) and I mean, it could be in my head, but it never used to catch this much rubber into 2nd on concrete. Gonna be rowdy when it's 45 out

IMHO, you have an appreciation for the timbers produced by the MPE and how too much rasp diminishes the quality of the sound. Because of that, I find myself ruminating on it being being right for me. I don't know if you have a video and if not, would make a video?

I don't know of any other setup with the MPE and xpipe.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 03:04 PM   #70
Richbot
Major General
Rep

If you're looking for sweet mellow ear candy (ie no additional rasp, it's raspy with the factory xpipe, just very muffled) with the MPE, this is the wrong tree to bark up

At WOT, it's a holy-crap cartoon amplified version of MPE. It sounds like there are 12 of me, racing 12 sportbikes, under overpasses, it's great. At partial throttle, also just the same as MPE but just slightly more. However there's an in-between zone, fast throttle blips, wide openings at 2500-4k, that is definitely raspier than with the stock pipe.

The problem is some of the stuff the stock xpipe still keeps at a civilized level (but is still present, MPE has some edge to it with the stock xpipe) is amplified quite a bit. Fast throttle blips and large throttle openings at 3-4k and up, especially when cold, are particularly "edgy". It's not like a "trumpet" because the Corsa, I surmise from videos, has a lot more bass/baritone than the MPE. This makes sense, the MPE becomes effectively a straight pipe at WOT, the Corsa uses chambered mufflers. You're getting whatever is coming out of the xpipe, attenuated by 4' of tubing and a couple perforations at WOT on the MPE (same deal as the OEM welded muffler mods).

I'll try to get video with my suction mount. It's hard to describe. I know I would miss it under every overpass if it was gone. Not sure I would miss it on cold starts...lol

Last edited by Richbot; 08-01-2018 at 03:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 09:41 PM   #71
L4ces
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Alpine White

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
If you're looking for sweet mellow ear candy (ie no additional rasp, it's raspy with the factory xpipe, just very muffled) with the MPE, this is the wrong tree to bark up

At WOT, it's a holy-crap cartoon amplified version of MPE. It sounds like there are 12 of me, racing 12 sportbikes, under overpasses, it's great. At partial throttle, also just the same as MPE but just slightly more. However there's an in-between zone, fast throttle blips, wide openings at 2500-4k, that is definitely raspier than with the stock pipe.

The problem is some of the stuff the stock xpipe still keeps at a civilized level (but is still present, MPE has some edge to it with the stock xpipe) is amplified quite a bit. Fast throttle blips and large throttle openings at 3-4k and up, especially when cold, are particularly "edgy". It's not like a "trumpet" because the Corsa, I surmise from videos, has a lot more bass/baritone than the MPE. This makes sense, the MPE becomes effectively a straight pipe at WOT, the Corsa uses chambered mufflers. You're getting whatever is coming out of the xpipe, attenuated by 4' of tubing and a couple perforations at WOT on the MPE (same deal as the OEM welded muffler mods).

I'll try to get video with my suction mount. It's hard to describe. I know I would miss it under every overpass if it was gone. Not sure I would miss it on cold starts...lol
Thank you the description. I enjoyed reading it and I'm looking forward to whatever video you can provide.

BTW, I have an MPE and AA signature. The MPE is now my current. I'd like to increase the hollow reverberation/resonance sound that is characteristic of it. It comes in around 3.5 to 4K when light on the throttle. That is easier to produce with the foot by not going WOT. Actually, I'd like an increase in everything and can accept a certain amount of additional rasp.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 10:30 PM   #72
Richbot
Major General
Rep

I know exactly the hollow sound you mean, that's definitely still there and louder. It just gets overshadowed by the rasp and just, LOUDness in that range now, if that makes sense, with lighter throttle applications than it used to
      08-12-2018, 10:37 PM   #73
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Yep, that's the joint. There's almost definitely a leak. I don't see how yours could be different unless it was made differently from mine. Really easy to find out, start the car cold, reach under the car to that joint and hold your hand upstream of the clamp not touching the pipe, if you feel exhaust hitting your hand (it won't be hot yet) you has leak

It's slightly quieter in the car now. The additional raspiness/edge from 3k+ with the MPE is still there but now it all comes out the back, heh
finally put those aftermarket clamps on. car still has a tincy-wincy bit of rasp or gurgle, but this aftermarket clamp did make the exhaust sound different.
      04-01-2019, 04:17 PM   #74
DavidZ
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11.5 E90 M3 6MT

When you have friends with cars making 450 to 700 whp, the M3 has never felt fast to me until around 5k rpm. I just went for first test drive since installing the aFe x pipe (existing power/drive train mods are K&N drop in, MPE, MFactory carbon fiber driveshaft and 4.10:1 final drive for 6MT) and my god it feels like a different car. It feels properly fast at any rpm now. I did get a before dyno (360.9 whp after Alex@Alpine's 93 octane stage 1 map) so I'll get another dyno to see how much I gained... I'd expect to see a lot more "area under the curve".
      07-20-2019, 03:34 PM   #75
DavidZ
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11.5 E90 M3 6MT

Quote:
So I’ve had this on the car for 2500 miles. Because I’m lazy and didn’t want to dig up and install the latest evolver software, I didn’t even clear adaptations and just plug and played it. My car has a Stage 1 tune, so the cat efficiency monitoring 02 sensors are still reading as from the factory supposedly. No CEL. Pretty confident I’ve driven it enough to say no CEl but we’ll see.
Quote:
Have you confirmed with an OBD scanner that cat efficiency is enabled with your tune? With a stock tune, I'm getting a CEL (cat efficiency below threshold). I'm running E85 with an AFD Proflex, but am not sure if that has any impact. I also have a "stage 1" tune that doesn't throw a CEL, but apparently that tune ignores cat efficiency, doesn't meet OBD2 readiness and thus doesn't pass MD emissions. I'm trying to pass MD emissions without swapping back to stock X pipe.
      07-21-2019, 08:40 AM   #76
Richbot
Major General
Rep

Yes. My car is always “all monitors ready” when I scan it.

FWIW: this xpipe has been on the car for jusf under 15.000 miles. Still no CEL. I just checked again this morning out of curiosity with my generic “same scan as the emissions obd” handheld scanner. No codes all monitors ready

Last edited by Richbot; 07-21-2019 at 09:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2019, 09:14 AM   #77
Richbot
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
finally put those aftermarket clamps on. car still has a tincy-wincy bit of rasp or gurgle, but this aftermarket clamp did make the exhaust sound different.
Sounds slightly less leaky

Come for the no cel, stay because you have reduced cognitive capacity due to long term low level CO exposure
      09-29-2019, 10:10 PM   #78
Richbot
Major General
Rep

Looks pretty decent after 17000 miles - and still no CEL
Attached Images

10-03-2019, 12:01 PM   #79
AC/DC
NooB
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Looks pretty decent after 17000 miles - and still no CEL
Nice! I still need to install mine. I'm waiting to do it after I get a lift put in my garage; it'll be my first project towards justifying the need for it.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2020, 07:21 PM   #80
AC/DC
NooB
Rep

Finally got around to installing mine. Definitely a bit of a PITA, but it looks and sounds good!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 09:39 AM   #81
Richbot
Major General
Rep

Update - just ran my car through the STL-area's "scan-only" OBDII emissions check. All good. All monitors ready. Appears the cats are doing their jobs.

I've now put close to 20,000 miles on this xpipe, including a track day.

I did throw my first real code in like 18 months last month, right before the car needed inspecting, of course. Turned out the tstat sensor crapped the bed.
      03-11-2020, 09:43 AM   #82
//steve\\
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Quote:
Update - just ran my car through the STL-area's "scan-only" OBDII emissions check. All good. All monitors ready. Appears the cats are doing their jobs.

I've now put close to 20,000 miles on this xpipe, including a track day.
hmmm......this might be the best option. These are 200cell HFCs on this one in place of the stock primaries and then resonators downstream?

And what tune is being run with these?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 09:53 AM   #83
Richbot
Major General
Rep

300cell - this is what differentiates this pipe from the others - it uses a more restrictive cat than almost every other HFC-equipped xpipe on the market. The fit isn't great but the price is relatively reasonable and with these cats it's the only one I know of that has reliably kept the CEL off without O2 extenders or other defeat devices. It probably makes 5-10 fewer hp across the range as a result of using a denser catalyst brick.

I have an Evolve Stage 1 tune, which has been on the car for more than 100,000 miles. secondary O2 monitors are active and were intentionally left on - it's the same exact tune I used when I had the stock xpipe on the car.

Also, it may help that I had evolve leave the cold start sequence intact with this tune. Shutting it off causes the cats to light off more slowly, from what I understand, but I'm not sure at what point the car will throw an out of range code, if it will even do it during the first couple minutes of driving or if it doesn't matter so long as it's in-range when the car is warm during the driving sequences it uses to monitor.

Last edited by Richbot; 03-11-2020 at 09:59 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 11:06 AM   #84
AC/DC
NooB
Rep

Nice update to hear! So far no issues with mine either. Sounds great and no CEL.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2020, 06:33 PM   #85
Richbot
Major General
Rep

Here’s one of the videos I’ve been promising, cold start in an enclosed 1200sf garage with a few revs. Pretty much the worst case scenario for loudness. It’s pretty bananas in this situation. The MPE has about 115,000 miles on it now, and the xpipe about 25k? I think that might be a little itty bitty flame/pop there at the end of the video lol. Sounds on the video pretty close to how it sounds in person at wot - it’s nuts just like this under overpasses and whatnot, just lasts a lot longer and the pitch is higher - this was only about 5,000 rpm. the poor iPhone mic does get a bit overwhelmed.

I’ll do a driving video one day I swear

Last edited by Richbot; 11-21-2020 at 06:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 10:20 PM   #86
BlackM3Comp
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW M3

Nice! Now another 2 year wait for the driving clip!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2020, 12:35 AM   #87
wyatth
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 ZCP

The idle is nice but the those revs are vicious. I’d ask for some more clips, outside, drive by, etc but it’d take another 2 years for them.

Would be cool if they offered this pipe with 4 resonators. Basically a Dinan midpipe with 300 HFCs in the primary spot.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2020, 08:10 AM   #88
Richbot
Major General
Rep

It needs something for sure, to tame it with the MPE, if you're not a fan of rasp. With a stock back box I bet it'd be just about perfect. I've been waiting this whole time for an excuse to go back to stock xpipe, emissions fail, O2 sensor fail, broken weld, whatever, but 2.5 years later none of that has happened, it's still ridiculous and won't go away heh. And it still sounds like you're being chased by a Cup car under overpasses

Cold start idle is pretty loud, but once it finishes the cycle it's actually quieter than our E63 AMG at idle. That thing sounds like somebody is beating war drums off in the distance, all the time.

I have a suction bumper mount somewhere, but whether I want to risk my phone for the internet is another question heh