BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

Mporium BMW

04-22-2021, 11:24 AM   #1
Pappas Fritas
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 M3, Melbourne Red, 6sp

Garage List
DIY: E93 Roof Lubrication and Seal Conditioning (Convertible, Origami Top)

One the best, most thorough resources for the e93 I've ever found has to do with the Lubrication and Conditioning of Seals on our origami convertible tops! Rather than rehash what they've down so well, I'll provide the links for you to read/download yourself and provide my feedback/experiences below.

Sources:
PDF Download Link: THE GUIDE
Source: Original Post
Please let me know if the original posters are on here so I can give them credit!

Background: My e93 roof did not operate smoothly from the time I got it. The up/down movement wasn't fluid/smooth, it could be a little choppy/surge-like. One day, the top wouldn't come up (not even the trunk lid would raise), and I thought for sure I needed a new hydraulic pump. Luckily, it went back up on the way to the mechanic so I held off on a repair. Online research lead me to the links above. I decided to try lubricating the top before replacing the convertible hydraulic pump ($1,950 from FCP Euro, I'd go TopHydraulics rebuilt route for ~$500).

Positioning the Convertible Top Properly: I can't stress this enough, make sure you stop your convertible in the right position and support it to avoid excess strain on your hydraulic system. Better safe than sorry! I will follow-up with the proper way.

Lubricating the Convertible Hardware: Read THE GUIDE which goes into a lot of detail, then read how I adapted it. Based on reading THE GUIDE, I decided to be thorough and do my own 2 step route.
First, I went with 3in1 penetrating oil to really get down into the joints/bearings/slides and get everything moving and flush out old grease/rust. Make sure to place rags/plastic down to avoid getting this on your interior. After applying, I put the top down and took it out for a drive. Every couple of minutes I would put the top up or down to work the oil in. Already operating smoother
This is the 3-in-1 penetrating oil I used: 3-in-1 Penetrant Oil

Second: After about a day, it was time for the long lasting lithium grease. Using THE GUIDE, I applied grease to all the locations specified. DO NOT OVERDO IT, last thing you want is globs of grease falling on your leather/trim/paint. With this in mind, I opted for a small squeeze tube (rather than a spray bottle) to allow for more precise application and used a qtip/toothpick to help get it deeper into some of the joints. I operated the top a few times, and then wiped away excess grease that served no lubricating purpose. This is the lithium grease I used: White Lithium Grease

Conditioning the seals: Read THE GUIDE which goes into a lot of detail, then read how I adapted it.
First step for me was a deep cleaning of the grime accumulated on my seals. With the convertible top in the maintenance position, I used a toothbrush and soapy water to GENTLY and thoroughly clean the seals until I saw rubber. There are a lot of channels in these complex seals and a lot of spots where grime accumulates. I rinsed as best I could, and thoroughly wiped them all down with a wet micro fiber.

Second step, I did a quick conditioning with Gummi Pflege to help loosen the seals up (wanted to do it quick protection after doing the 3in1 lubrication). This is the product I used, no complaints but may try Sonax on the next replacement.Gummi Pflege

Third step, about a week later, I went with the Krytox for the long term, thorough conditioning as recommended and detailed in THE GUIDE. A little goes a long way with this stuff! Here is the Krytox product I used:Krytox

Hope this helps my fellow e93 enthusiasts out! I will update with photos next time I do it. Feel free to comment and provide feedback so we can all benefit!
Active Autowerke Pulley, Tune, and drop-in Filter. Full Akrapovic Evo Exhaust (dual resonated with secondary high flow cats).
Appreciate 10
ToddinTN504.00
bake601.50
GORDON.M31403.00
CTMike262.00
cloumeM164.00
victo6.00
      05-09-2021, 11:20 PM   #2
bake
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 F10, 2013 E93

Subscribed! Thanks for posting this.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2021, 05:34 PM   #3
6spdvert
Private
Rep
Drives: NA

Awesome post!! Thanks for that!

What is the proper stacking of the top for maintenance?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2021, 02:28 AM   #4
GORDON.M3
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 • F25 X3 M-Sport

For the rubber seals that are treated with Gummi Pflege use Honda Shin-Etsu instead. Lasts way longer and will make the seals as puffy/restored like new.

I've used Honda Shin-Etsu on all door seals and all the creaks that came from the factory rubber door seals are gone. This has worked on many vehicles that I have owned.

Thank me later.
      09-23-2021, 08:40 AM   #5
Fantastipotamus
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 Vert DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappas Fritas View Post
Positioning the Convertible Top Properly: I can't stress this enough, make sure you stop your convertible in the right position and support it to avoid excess strain on your hydraulic system. Better safe than sorry! I will follow-up with the proper way.
Following up on this.. I have a new-to-me 2015 F83 M4, and I’m not sure if it would directly correlate, but I haven’t attempted to work on my seals yet because I wasn’t sure if there’s and official way to get the top into a ‘maintenance mode’ or if that just equates to a specific position where you stop the movement.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2022, 06:18 AM   #6
Kixars
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Great thread all
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2022, 12:49 AM   #7
bmwdonut
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Thanks! Just purchased a 2011 E93 M3 and wanted to make the hard top doesn't crap out on me.
Appreciate 1
      05-10-2023, 09:44 AM   #8
steve_eltham
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport

Hi.

Thanks for the post. I just recently got a 2009 E93 M Sport and there is the beginnings of some noise so want to get this sorted and your post in really helpful.

>Positioning the Convertible Top Properly: I can't stress this enough, make sure you stop >your convertible in the right position and support it to avoid excess strain on your >hydraulic system. Better safe than sorry! I will follow-up with the proper way.

I guess I should I move the roof into the 'convenient loading' position?

Thanks!
Steve
Appreciate 1
      10-08-2023, 03:24 AM   #9
BenGottoSmith
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW E93

Where to use Krytox vs Gummiphlege?

This post and The Guide are beyond awesome - I just can't see where to use Krytox vs Gummi?
I read elsewhere to use Krytox on every bit of rubber that doesn't risk streaking a window...
Love the idea of doing all rubbers with (much cheaper) Gummi, then a week later touching up the right bits with Krytox.
And BTW in the context of a broken roof, Krytox is CHEAP!!!
TIA.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2023, 01:36 PM   #10
relevante
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 M3

Thanks for putting all of this together.

One trick I just discovered today when going over my hardtop for the first time: these plastic micro tips designed for CA glue bottles work great on the short straw on the HHS-K can. It's making a lot easier to not make a mess and be confident that I'm getting the grease exactly where it needs to go.

https://www.amazon.com/Micro-Tips-Pr.../dp/B086SSLKYH

Appreciate 3