BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

02-20-2022, 08:52 AM   #45
recentfuture
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2002 530i Sport - 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by recentfuture View Post
Would you have links to replacement mount. Something economical, I saw Amazon is selling on another thread.
Stock foam rear strut mounts - $50 on ECS
Powerflex yellow PU rear strut mounts - $80 on ECS (these would be lifetime parts)
Monroe 907984 rubber rear shock mounts - $14 on FCP

They're not crazy pricey. I'd just get powerflex and not worry about them ever again.
Hey man I appreciate you. Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2022, 06:53 PM   #46
1FastSicilian
-Frank
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

Chasing this terrible clunk upfront from both sides.. I think its the camber plates that come with the kit..

Anyone else running these have an issue?

EDIT***

Turns out the SPL endlinks were hitting the lower control arms.. There's two different types of SPL arms for this car, you have to get the non-M ones.
IG: @_frank_stone_

Last edited by 1FastSicilian; 06-07-2023 at 12:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2022, 02:22 PM   #47
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FastSicilian View Post
Chasing this terrible clunk upfront from both sides.. I think its the camber plates that come with the kit..

also, ohlins customer service has been complete CRAP!!

Have chased many clunks over the years and found they can be many different things. Likely something that was left loose or came loose over time, loose swaybar end-link, loose suspension arm bolt, spring rattling (if not under preload), camber plates sure. If you can jack the car up or take it to a shop that can, you can pull back and forth on each arm or component and see if you can replicate the noise.

Fwiw, once properly installed with everything tightened the Ohlins R&T kit with GC street camber plates up front has been completely quiet for me. One reason I like the GC street plates is that they rely on a large urethane bushing and are made the way they are to reduce NVH for street driven cars. The more track focused plates do feel better on track (had vorshlag plates before GC street) but am happy with the GC's for now.
      02-22-2022, 03:08 PM   #48
1FastSicilian
-Frank
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mobbin View Post
Have chased many clunks over the years and found they can be many different things. Likely something that was left loose or came loose over time, loose swaybar end-link, loose suspension arm bolt, spring rattling (if not under preload), camber plates sure. If you can jack the car up or take it to a shop that can, you can pull back and forth on each arm or component and see if you can replicate the noise.

We tried everything, took end links off and drove without them, made sure everything was torqued properly, etc. The coilovers do have a helper spring so the spring doesnt move. The sound is as if the coilover is bottoming out which is not happening but that's the best way to describe the sound.

Fwiw, once properly installed with everything tightened the Ohlins R&T kit with GC street camber plates up front has been completely quiet for me. One reason I like the GC street plates is that they rely on a large urethane bushing and are made the way they are to reduce NVH for street driven cars. The more track focused plates do feel better on track (had vorshlag plates before GC street) but am happy with the GC's for now.
I had ohlins R&T with GC hybrid plates on my e46 and they were super quiet. never a single noise. I wish I could say the same about these that were $1000 more expensive -__-
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2022, 06:07 PM   #49
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1FastSicilian View Post

also, ohlins customer service has been complete CRAP!!

I believe Ohlins Dedicated Track uses Vorshlag plates. I have Vorshlag plates and no clunk. Did you install the plates with the rubber spring pad from the stock top mount as per Vorshlag installation instructions?
Appreciate 1
Davisca4552207.50
      02-25-2022, 01:25 PM   #50
1FastSicilian
-Frank
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
I believe Ohlins Dedicated Track uses Vorshlag plates. I have Vorshlag plates and no clunk. Did you install the plates with the rubber spring pad from the stock top mount as per Vorshlag installation instructions?
I followed all of the instructions that were provided by Ohlins. I've set up a few of their coilovers and never had an issue.

Trying to deal with ohlins over this and their customer service is not great.. They tried telling me that loctite will help the clunk.. tried that, nothing..

Then they said there is no way their part can have defective and that I need to ship them to them and their engineers will diagnose the issue.. I asked for a temporary camber plates to try (offered to pay) they said no.

If I cant sort this out, I'll just buy a diff brand camber plate.

EDIT***

Figured out the issue.. My end links were hitting the control arm on big bumps and making the clunk. All is good with the ohlins

Last edited by 1FastSicilian; 02-16-2023 at 02:30 PM.. Reason: FIGURED OUT THE ISSUE
Appreciate 0