BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

Mporium BMW

10-17-2020, 11:11 AM   #1321
PACarGuy
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 DCT ZCP

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighindu79 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cannyjock View Post
Quote:
Please do let me know how it works out if you do.
I have this in the UK and it's not bad. I'm using wireless Android Auto and it works well. Some of the same downsides though - I have to use aux for sound. However, some people have found other ways to do it. Using Apple, music will go over bluetooth to the Combox but not navigation directions apparently, and at least one person has it working over aux without plugging into the armrest, it must route sound via the harness to aux in some way - the instructions do suggest this may work, and apparently it sounds better. Using Android, I've had to use their second mic to pick up 'Ok Google' commands, I've still got some experimenting to do here. Overall, for the money it's a good buy.

More - this is in a 2011 e90 M3 with Combox, individual audio.

Thread here: https://forums.m3cutters.co.uk/threa...%A3168.230734/
Thank you. So, this unit doesn't integrate with the oem mic? The description and pictures on the Ali store don't provide these details.
It appears that it does have an item mic integration. One of the pictures submitted by a reviewer on aliexpress shows what I believe is a mic splitter cable, similar to the one that comes with the MMI kit from bimmertech.

Also, I am able to use the combox via Bluetooth audio with my Kremersino v1, but I was hoping that the Carsara kit could use the quad lock harness for aux instead of the external plug. Maybe that's not really possible...
      10-17-2020, 11:15 AM   #1322
bighindu79
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 Jerez Black/Fox Red bla

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACarGuy View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I have this in the UK and it's not bad. I'm using wireless Android Auto and it works well. Some of the same downsides though - I have to use aux for sound. However, some people have found other ways to do it. Using Apple, music will go over bluetooth to the Combox but not navigation directions apparently, and at least one person has it working over aux without plugging into the armrest, it must route sound via the harness to aux in some way - the instructions do suggest this may work, and apparently it sounds better. Using Android, I've had to use their second mic to pick up 'Ok Google' commands, I've still got some experimenting to do here. Overall, for the money it's a good buy.

Thank you. So, this unit doesn't integrate with the oem mic? The description and pictures on the Ali store don't provide these details.
It appears that it does have an item mic integration. One of the pictures submitted by a reviewer on aliexpress shows what I believe is a mic splitter cable, similar to the one that comes with the MMI kit from bimmertech.

Also, I am able to use the combox via Bluetooth audio with my Kremersino v1, but I was hoping that the Carsara kit could use the quad lock harness for aux instead of the external plug. Maybe that's not really possible...
Based on the uk M3 forum that was posted earlier, if you are using CarPlay, the audio does go through combox and doesn't require plugging in the external aux cable. Android however; seems to be the one requiring external aux input.
Appreciate 1
PACarGuy674.50
      10-17-2020, 11:16 AM   #1323
PACarGuy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Did the Carsara unit come with a connector to plug into the idrive controller? The pics don't seem to show that and I am wondering how they access the idrive controller without that. Also, does it come with an external mic and OEM mic splitter cable?
      10-17-2020, 12:06 PM   #1324
cannyjock
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW e90 M3

Yes, it comes with a connector for the iDrive, and some additional cables which I presume are for other variants. It comes with an external mic, and yes there is some kind of splitter cable but I've only tried it with the supplied mic so far.
Appreciate 1
PACarGuy674.50
      10-17-2020, 12:08 PM   #1325
cannyjock
Private
Rep

Quote:
Based on the uk M3 forum that was posted earlier, if you are using CarPlay, the audio does go through combox and doesn't require plugging in the external aux cable. Android however; seems to be the one requiring external aux input.
Apparently CarPlay will only output music via Bluetooth, but I don't think it'll do navigation, Waze etc.

One person with Android reports that it does work via aux without plugging into the centre console, and the instructions suggest that this may work too. I'm wondering if there's some difference in the combox setup causing this, I have $6FL and possibly this is the difference?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 12:40 PM   #1326
bighindu79
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, it comes with a connector for the iDrive, and some additional cables which I presume are for other variants. It comes with an external mic, and yes there is some kind of splitter cable but I've only tried it with the supplied mic so far.
Would you be able to post pictures of the mic splitter and iDrive controller cables? I couldn't find detailed pictures for this brand.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2020, 12:49 PM   #1327
bighindu79
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Apparently CarPlay will only output music via Bluetooth, but I don't think it'll do navigation, Waze etc.

One person with Android reports that it does work via aux without plugging into the centre console, and the instructions suggest that this may work too. I'm wondering if there's some difference in the combox setup causing this, I have $6FL and possibly this is the difference?
I also have combox and 6FL from the factory. I wonder if all these retrofit CarPlay boxes were developed with older model years and/or regions where this combination wasn't offered as a baseline leaving those with this combo from the factory having a different experience. For example, the issue I'm facing with the kremersino v2 unit is something the manufacturer has never heard of or seen and they don't have any solution other than sending me a replacement unit.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 03:28 AM   #1328
cannyjock
Private
Rep

Quote:
Would you be able to post pictures of the mic splitter and iDrive controller cables? I couldn't find detailed pictures for this brand.
I'll try, but the iDrive controller cable is now behind the unit so may be a few days until I take it out.

I've also got the instructions which shows these, although the iDrive cable I have has a few more options (should be attached). Note, it seems that this unit is the same as the Bimmertech one.
Appreciate 1
PACarGuy674.50
      10-19-2020, 08:39 AM   #1329
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

Quote:
I'll try, but the iDrive controller cable is now behind the unit so may be a few days until I take it out.

I've also got the instructions which shows these, although the iDrive cable I have has a few more options (should be attached). Note, it seems that this unit is the same as the Bimmertech one.
I was looking at the hardware, it overall seems to be very very similar though I notice the antenna hookup is in a slightly different spot, so not sure if this is just a slightly different variation or it's the same OEM with a slightly different board, but doesn't seem to be the exact same part.

It also seems like the Bimmertech comes with the mic splitter cable but this Carsana one doesn't? Not sure if that's something that can get sourced separately or just find a very covert way of mounting the microphone.

It sounds like people had generally good results with nobody complaining about sound quality, maybe I'll impulse buy one of these and see if I can get it installed and tested and if it still has an issue have time before the Bimmertech Black Friday sale...
      10-19-2020, 09:16 AM   #1330
cannyjock
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdemon View Post
I was looking at the hardware, it overall seems to be very very similar though I notice the antenna hookup is in a slightly different spot, so not sure if this is just a slightly different variation or it's the same OEM with a slightly different board, but doesn't seem to be the exact same part.

It also seems like the Bimmertech comes with the mic splitter cable but this Carsana one doesn't? Not sure if that's something that can get sourced separately or just find a very covert way of mounting the microphone.

It sounds like people had generally good results with nobody complaining about sound quality, maybe I'll impulse buy one of these and see if I can get it installed and tested and if it still has an issue have time before the Bimmertech Black Friday sale...
This does come with a mic splitter - should be in the instructions I attached above.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 11:07 AM   #1331
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
This does come with a mic splitter - should be in the instructions I attached above.
Ah, I see the pigtail now I didn't notice it before.

I went ahead and ordered one, I guess I'll take the guinea pig route since most of the folks on that other thread seemed to have good things to say.

Does anybody have a recommendation for the backup camera? Theres dozens and all seem to have various complaints about fit and finish and everything else.

Would rather not spend the time wiring something up only to find out it's garbage and doesn't fit properly (unless they're all garbage and I need to lower my expectations or try the OEM route).
PACarGuy674.50
      10-19-2020, 11:13 AM   #1332
PACarGuy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Thanks for sharing that. It does look like the same set of connections as the bimmertech, and based on the document, it also appears that sound from the box can potentially be delivered via AUX over the quad lock connector, and that the external 3.5mm AUX plug may not be needed. I think I may give this one a shot too.
      10-19-2020, 11:20 AM   #1333
cannyjock
Private
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for sharing that. It does look like the same set of connections as the bimmertech, and based on the document, it also appears that sound from the box can potentially be delivered via AUX over the quad lock connector, and that the external 3.5mm AUX plug may not be needed. I think I may give this one a shot too.
It does appear possible, and at least one person in the UK forum has it working over the quad lock connector but that doesn't work in mine for some reason. I suspect it's something to do with the combox version or the individual audio/6FL options I have which may mean aux is only routed via 3.5mm plug.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 11:22 AM   #1334
PACarGuy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
It does appear possible, and at least one person in the UK forum has it working over the quad lock connector but that doesn't work in mine for some reason. I suspect it's something to do with the combox version or the individual audio/6FL options I have which may mean aux is only routed via 3.5mm plug.
Good point. I also have 6FL and 752 individual audio options on my MY2012. I might be in same boat on that.
Did you have the fiber optic cable that has to be re-seated in the new quad lock connector? I wonder if that's part of it.

Also, how is the quality of the bass signal from this unit?
      10-19-2020, 11:27 AM   #1335
cannyjock
Private
Rep

Quote:
Good point. I also have 6FL and 752 individual audio options on my MY2012. I might be in same boat on that.
Did you have the fiber optic cable that has to be re-seated in the new quad lock connector? I wonder if that's part of it.

Also, how is the quality of the bass signal from this unit?
Yes, you have to move the 2 optical cables from the original quadlock into the new one which goes directly into the back of the headunit - easy to do and I presume you wouldn't get any sound at all unless you do it.

I'm playing with EQ which makes a big difference to the sound through the 3.5mm plug but need to play more to see if I can get it to an acceptable level.
Appreciate 1
PACarGuy674.50
      10-19-2020, 11:32 AM   #1336
PACarGuy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yes, you have to move the 2 optical cables from the original quadlock into the new one which goes directly into the back of the headunit - easy to do and I presume you wouldn't get any sound at all unless you do it.

I'm playing with EQ which makes a big difference to the sound through the 3.5mm plug but need to play more to see if I can get it to an acceptable level.
Hmm, so does that mean it's not so great right off the bat?
      10-19-2020, 11:35 AM   #1337
cannyjock
Private
Rep

Quote:
Hmm, so does that mean it's not so great right off the bat?
Not great no, the consensus is that by tweaking EQ you can get it to 'nearly as good as bluetooth' which would be OK - remember you can still drop back to the main system too.

The guy who got it working via quadloack aux says the sound is better - I think that's to do with the low output (or expectations of high input from the 3.5mm plug). Playing with EQ certainly improves it, I'll keep trying but would love to get it working without plugging in.
Appreciate 1
PACarGuy674.50
      10-19-2020, 11:45 AM   #1338
PACarGuy
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Not great no, the consensus is that by tweaking EQ you can get it to 'nearly as good as bluetooth' which would be OK - remember you can still drop back to the main system too.

The guy who got it working via quadloack aux says the sound is better - I think that's to do with the low output (or expectations of high input from the 3.5mm plug). Playing with EQ certainly improves it, I'll keep trying but would love to get it working without plugging in.
Thanks again. Maybe I'll hold off for a bit then and await more updates/feedback.
      10-19-2020, 12:50 PM   #1339
brettcp
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3

Quote:
I suspect it's something to do with the combox version or the individual audio/6FL options I have which may mean aux is only routed via 3.5mm plug.
I did quite a bit of research on this, and I believe you are correct. I even tried coding to force the aux to be routed at the back of the CIC unit, never did get it to work.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 03:08 PM   #1340
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

Has anyone tried running a USB powered headphone amp to boost the signal from the Aux jack before it gets back to the car?
      10-19-2020, 03:40 PM   #1341
cannyjock
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdemon View Post
Has anyone tried running a USB powered headphone amp to boost the signal from the Aux jack before it gets back to the car?
I'm sure I've read about this in the past and apparently it works - any suggestions on what device, I might give this a go.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2020, 03:48 PM   #1342
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I'm sure I've read about this in the past and apparently it works - any suggestions on what device, I might give this a go.
Wondering about something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08KQDPM8R..._jSFJFb972YM4Y

I have pretty bad hearing so I'm not really sure I "care" much, let alone giving up even more space inside the console (unless there is a clever way of fitting this underneath) but wonder if this would solve some of those issues.

Amazon has a pretty forgiving return policy, might be worth trying as a science project.