BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

European Auto Source (EAS)

02-24-2021, 08:08 AM   #155
//steve\\
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

There are 3-4 different vendors in Europe that all offer the exact same type rear roll center kits. It only seems to be something no one here does.

I want to say both times I've inquired it's about $1600-ish + shipping from Europe. That's 8 solid offset bushings+the machined spacers needed.
      02-24-2021, 01:07 PM   #156
Epoustouflant
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by //steve\\ View Post
There are 3-4 different vendors in Europe that all offer the exact same type rear roll center kits. It only seems to be something no one here does.

I want to say both times I've inquired it's about $1600-ish + shipping from Europe. That's 8 solid offset bushings+the machined spacers needed.
We're looking at probable 2,000$ for their Small Axle Kit (28 pcs) in the upcoming GB. Differential lift kit will be optional and other suspension arms.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 01:30 PM   #157
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Reeves View Post
I think where the expense lies in fairness to Schirmer is the fact that all of their parts are TUV approved. So you can fit these parts to your car in Germany and they will still pass the very stringent roadworthy test over there.
This is a *huge* deal. In Europe you literally fail inspection for using spacers, or using tires whose outer diameter is over 2% vs stock, or widening your track (with wheels, as you cannot do it with spacers) over 30mm, blah blah blah.
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6728.50
      02-24-2021, 01:34 PM   #158
Epoustouflant
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Reeves View Post
I think where the expense lies in fairness to Schirmer is the fact that all of their parts are TUV approved. So you can fit these parts to your car in Germany and they will still pass the very stringent roadworthy test over there.
This is a *huge* deal. In Europe you literally fail inspection for using spacers, or using tires whose outer diameter is over 2% vs stock, or widening your track (with wheels, as you cannot do it with spacers) over 30mm, blah blah blah.
Their kits are only TUV approved if installed by Schirmer. They are verifying this.

The upcoming GB will have cool options.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 01:59 PM   #159
slowdown_dan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e93

You can replicate the Schirmer small parts kit with Millway (sweden) parts, shipped to the US for under 1300 USD shipped.

Maybe I should set up a competing group buy?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 02:29 PM   #160
Epoustouflant
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by butte2butte View Post
You can replicate the Schirmer small parts kit with Millway (sweden) parts, shipped to the US for under 1300 USD shipped.

Maybe I should set up a competing group buy?
You can try 🤪 Make sure to chat with @Jason
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 03:47 PM   #161
leftfootbr8king
Lieutenant
Rep

Even if a gb through millway never panned out, who cares. That's a a tasty price for good parts. What would make the Schirmer kit almost twice as expensive? Is there a quality difference?
Appreciate 1
      02-24-2021, 06:12 PM   #162
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftfootbr8king View Post
Even if a gb through millway never panned out, who cares. That's a a tasty price for good parts. What would make the Schirmer kit almost twice as expensive? Is there a quality difference?
Doubt it. You're paying for the branding. Same way you're paying 3x more for a Meyle ball joint bought from Schirmer.
Appreciate 2
      02-24-2021, 09:23 PM   #163
Epoustouflant
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
Quote:
Doubt it. You're paying for the branding. Same way you're paying 3x more for a Meyle ball joint bought from Schirmer.
They include this and a few other things in the kit. Their website listing isn't accurate on inclusion. Not ideal.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 06:39 AM   #164
slowdown_dan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e93

What do they include in the kit more than the picture shows? I counted and there are indeed 28 pieces in the picture of the small kit, it's just that 8 of the parts are set screws and 12 of them are the machined bearing spacers that go along with the corresponding bearings and toe arms.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 07:16 AM   #165
Epoustouflant
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by butte2butte View Post
What do they include in the kit more than the picture shows? I counted and there are indeed 28 pieces in the picture of the small kit, it's just that 8 of the parts are set screws and 12 of them are the machined bearing spacers that go along with the corresponding bearings and toe arms.
Will be posted in GB thread.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 08:09 AM   #166
tlrid3r
just another M3
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biginboca View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlrid3r View Post
Well there is one key point. Roll center correction for the rear is important and not many people offer this, if any other than them. There is very little detail available.
Why is this very important? I assume it's because Shirmer is running their cars pretty low and the ring has some rough sections hence the need for raising the diff and roll center correction. If others aren't running that low maybe it's a non issue

[img]https://i.postimg.cc/PrjmtNBX/C41-D7...CFC7007289.jpg[/img]
From my knowledge on the e9x platform they are not rising the diff just stiffening the bushing. But they are correcting roll center just on the arm caring all the load. Just 20mm drop from factory ride height you can be measured roll center offsets.
///M3... Don't want more power, Just want it to turn sharper one step closer each time. -Ohlins TTX Raceline, PolePostions seats, Akrapovic EVO, ARC-8, 1/2 Cage, Seat Delete, Stoptech BBK, solid Subframe and diff bushing, spherical bearing on everything.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 08:52 AM   #167
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 328i 6MT

Quote:
From my knowledge on the e9x platform they are not rising the diff just stiffening the bushing. But they are correcting roll center just on the arm caring all the load. Just 20mm lower from factory ride height you can measure roll center offsets.
Incorrect, they do in fact raise the diff...

https://www.teamschirmerparts.com/pr...lding-solution
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 09:53 AM   #168
cwlo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 04 m3

Interesting idea...so it says welding required. I take it they are modifying the diff mounting points on the subframe higher? Probably that for the front mounts, and maybe an offset bushing for the rear. Would love to see actual setup.
Appreciate 1
      02-25-2021, 09:59 AM   #169
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:

I like how other products say they are made of "quality steel". That's such a relief!
tlrid3r513.50
DrFerry6728.50
roastbeef11584.50
      02-25-2021, 10:07 AM   #170
cwlo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 04 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
I like how other products say they are made of "quality steel". That's such a relief!
I take it you never owned a vintage Porsche...that postwar German steel was definitely not quality!
Appreciate 1
tlrid3r513.50
      02-25-2021, 10:28 AM   #171
tlrid3r
just another M3
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Quote:
From my knowledge on the e9x platform they are not rising the diff just stiffening the bushing. But they are correcting roll center just on the arm caring all the load. Just 20mm lower from factory ride height you can measure roll center offsets.

Correct it says that but look at bushing. All mounting holes are centered. Compared that with f8x platform. So BS is a raise kit.
The product description is exact the same as f8x.
See below. Offset in the bushing.
Attached Images

///M3... Don't want more power, Just want it to turn sharper one step closer each time. -Ohlins TTX Raceline, PolePostions seats, Akrapovic EVO, ARC-8, 1/2 Cage, Seat Delete, Stoptech BBK, solid Subframe and diff bushing, spherical bearing on everything.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 10:48 AM   #172
Epoustouflant
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Correct it says that but look at bushing. All mounting holes are centered. Compared that with f8x platform. So BS is a raise kit.
The product description is exact the same as f8x.
See below. Offset in the bushing.
Don't work off their images, like I said. It will be explained in the GB. Their diff lift kit for the E9X is completely different than the F8X. I've been chatting with Patrick at Team Schirmer for a week working out the contents of the kit - they didn't do a great job at it on their launch.

I'm hoping to fix this - there is value in their kit and no, it isn't something you can buy off from the other manufacturers. There will be some of Schirmer's setup magic in it.
Appreciate 1
Lienrocs701.00
      02-25-2021, 10:52 AM   #173
leftfootbr8king
Lieutenant
Rep

Fwiw I think the sites pictures and descriptions are garbage. It might actually be a lift kit. It might not. The bushings pictured might be what you receive, they might not.

What is becoming clear to me is Schirmer either has no idea how to market its products, or doesn't care to. I'm leaning towards they just don't know, because it seems like they are trying to link up with social media influencers and work to put together group buys to get some sales moving.

They teased the online parts shop for quite a while so again, I have to believe they want this to work, but I can't understand why they're so vague in their descriptions while being so proud with their pricing.
Appreciate 2
tlrid3r513.50
M43S7RO502.00
      02-25-2021, 11:16 AM   #174
Biginboca
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 328i 6MT

I recall reading somewhere that the diff lift kit required welding because the metals above the diff had to be cut out and rewelded. Not sure if that’s the sheet metal of the body some piece of the subframe.

Based on that it seems like the diff lift would be more likely some sort of brackets? If it lifted the diff 1” with offset bushing inserts would that even be necessary?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 11:16 AM   #175
b4hand
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3

Quote:
Fwiw I think the sites pictures and descriptions are garbage. It might actually be a lift kit. It might not. The bushings pictured might be what you receive, they might not.

What is becoming clear to me is Schirmer either has no idea how to market its products, or doesn't care to. I'm leaning towards they just don't know, because it seems like they are trying to link up with social media influencers and work to put together group buys to get some sales moving.

They teased the online parts shop for quite a while so again, I have to believe they want this to work, but I can't understand why they're so vague in their descriptions while being so proud with their pricing.
I feel like they need to have Tom make a short video on each product or something. Right now, their descriptions leave a lot to be desired.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 11:19 AM   #176
Epoustouflant
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by b4hand View Post
Quote:

I feel like they need to have Tom make a short video on each product or something. Right now, their descriptions leave a lot to be desired.
Yes.
Appreciate 0