BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

12-25-2020, 08:35 AM   #23
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

No. It is the way bmw designed it. There is a cone shaped gasket that seals between the flanges.

If the E46 M3 midpipe to rear exhaust flange fits the E90 M3 header pipe and cone shaped gasket, is there enough meat on the flange to simply drill the bolt holes longer?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2020, 06:40 AM   #24
Insomniaroy
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3 DCT

I keep getting leaks even after replacing both gaskets * cleaning the flanges , torquing cold and retorquing cold after few cold-hot cycles.
All brackets, clamps and exhaust hangers seem ok but I still suspect under heavy braking the midpipe slides forward just a little bit over that left header connection, destroying the gasket.
Would it be safe to weld the left flange to the header ? Maybe it is not welded to allow for expansion/contraction because otherwise something will crack ? In this case I will mod the bracket from gearbox to exhaust. This is my 2nd M3 that has this recurring issue and I'm on stock exhaust setup (+OEM end box mod).
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 09:38 PM   #25
2011_M3
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 bmw m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insomniaroy View Post
I keep getting leaks even after replacing both gaskets * cleaning the flanges , torquing cold and retorquing cold after few cold-hot cycles.
All brackets, clamps and exhaust hangers seem ok but I still suspect under heavy braking the midpipe slides forward just a little bit over that left header connection, destroying the gasket.
Would it be safe to weld the left flange to the header ? Maybe it is not welded to allow for expansion/contraction because otherwise something will crack ? In this case I will mod the bracket from gearbox to exhaust. This is my 2nd M3 that has this recurring issue and I'm on stock exhaust setup (+OEM end box mod).
Did you ever get it fixed I'm having issues with the driver side header to my test pipes and I just bought gaskets and put the on today and still has a leak. I put sealant and exhaust tape to try and fix it but it still leaking but not as much anymore and I haven't go into limp mode so far and I drove it for 20mins
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 04:41 PM   #26
Insomniaroy
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3 DCT

I didn't fix it but didn't notice any obvious leaks during winter (windows up). Also got my anual checks done recently and no remarks about any exhaust leaks , although a small leak would go unnoticed I think.
Maybe it fixed itself this time ?
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2021, 09:57 PM   #27
GearKid
Private
Rep
Drives: S2000, Subaru STI, Tacoma or

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch32 View Post
Hello,

I removed me exhaust today and the left header doesn't have a welded flange, the right header's flange is welded on and can't move. Please see pictures below.
I just recently swapped out my midpipe and noticed the floating flange on only one side. It's definitely by design in order to ensure the exhaust system lines up properly without putting excessive stress on the headers.
If there's any leaking then the gasket isn't seated correctly or there's a defect in the mating surfaces of the midpipe or header pipe. The flange won't prevent a leak whether it's welded or not. It's designed to compress the gasket into the midpipe and around the exhaust pipe.

Here's the link from ESC Tuning for the gaskets

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...h/11627830668/
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6727.00