BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

BPM

05-23-2012, 09:48 AM   #67
Shosholoza
Shosholoza
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I will be happy to help!
      05-23-2012, 11:42 AM   #68
Car54
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 M-Sport Wagon - EBII

Quote:
Originally Posted by zslow6 View Post
I have a question since I'm new to the m scene. I heard with stock rotors and a brake duct kit people tend to cracks rotors because they cool to quickly, anyone have/heard of this issue?
Depends on many factors, but I would say in general they're going to be better. If you doing a track day in the 40s and on an easy track for brakes, say Road Atlanta, then you might want to plug up the ducts. You won't be able to keep pads at operating temp and you'll eat up rotors (with track pads).
      05-23-2012, 03:32 PM   #69
Porschefile
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I think a big factor re: cracking is where the air is directed. If the air is hitting the rotor face directly it cools at an unsafe rate and can crack, whereas air hitting the center of the rotor and going through the vanes cools evenly and relatively slowly.
Appreciate 0