BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

Mporium BMW

10-10-2018, 12:36 AM   #23
dogbone
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M3 - IB

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpewpew View Post
Hmm I should get an AIM Solo DL. Starting to get consistent, getting +/- 0.5 to 1 second lap times in a session when traffic is light. Data would be insightful too!

If I use my OBD port for my Waylens camera, can I hardwire in the Solo DL and run the OBD port with something plugged in at the same time?
OBD and CAN are two separate ways of collecting data. Keep using the OBD for whatever you're doing, and hardwire the AIM into the CAN bus. There's WAY more information available to you for logging via the CAN bus.
Appreciate 1
kyippee1072.00
      10-10-2018, 12:43 AM   #24
kyippee
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Supra MK5, F44 235GC

Awesome. Thanks dogbone !
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2018, 08:09 PM   #25
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Figured this might be a good place to ask - how do you get the aim solo 2 to save data??? It tracks the lap times but when I go back the memory says empty. Got to be missing it in the manual somewhere but can’t find anything about it.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2018, 08:38 PM   #26
jcolley
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcolley View Post
What does the AIM template show for the ArbID, format, etc?

The DCT transmits to the DME over PT-CAN on 0xB5 with Byte 7 (in byte0-7 format) being Gearbox temp. 8 Bit, unsigned, with a range of -40 to 170 Celsius (hex value -40C).

Edit:

Not sure of the 0xB5 arbid is mirrored over on K-CAN, so you would need to be tapped into PT-CAN to read it if so.
Going back through a 44MB PT-CAN log dump from Regular Guy, I think that ArbID is N/A on E9x BORDNET 2000. Looking through the disassembly to see what I can find.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2018, 08:57 PM   #27
dogbone
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M3 - IB

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcolley View Post
Going back through a 44MB PT-CAN log dump from Regular Guy, I think that ArbID is N/A on E9x BORDNET 2000. Looking through the disassembly to see what I can find.
Did RegularGuy have a DCT on those loggings? I'm worried it may have been a 6MT.....

Anyway, could you clarify in dumb-guy English what you meant?
Appreciate 1
      07-21-2020, 11:53 PM   #28
Ximian
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
Google Earth and the GPS track from the AIM Solo 2 DL don't quite match up. Is there more accurate mapping software?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 07:05 AM   #29
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ximian View Post
Google Earth and the GPS track from the AIM Solo 2 DL don't quite match up. Is there more accurate mapping software?

GPS is not 100% accurate but can be much better if you use external antennas and/or can get more satellites. Is it within a few feet? How are you positioning the Solo on your windshield?

My Cosworth software uses Bing Maps and sometimes my racing line appears to drive into the grass.

Last edited by dparm; 07-22-2020 at 07:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 08:11 AM   #30
Ximian
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
GPS is not 100% accurate but can be much better if you use external antennas and/or can get more satellites. Is it within a few feet? How are you positioning the Solo on your windshield?

My Cosworth software uses Bing Maps and sometimes my racing line appears to drive into the grass.

Pretty much the same problem here. I've exchanged a few e-mails with Aim and they provided more information than I needed. The Solo does keep track of GPS positional accuracy and mine is <= 3 feet most of the time.

While the GPS track is consistently accurate (not in any one direction in particular), the problem is that Google Maps is not perfectly accurate either due to distortions it has to correct for. The only solution is moving to more accurate mapping software with imagery created from airplanes or drones at lower altitudes, so more accuracy.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 08:35 AM   #31
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ximian View Post
Pretty much the same problem here. I've exchanged a few e-mails with Aim and they provided more information than I needed. The Solo does keep track of GPS positional accuracy and mine is <= 3 feet most of the time.

While the GPS track is consistently accurate (not in any one direction in particular), the problem is that Google Maps is not perfectly accurate either due to distortions it has to correct for. The only solution is moving to more accurate mapping software with imagery created from airplanes or drones at lower altitudes, so more accuracy.
My take is that if it's consistently inaccurate, I can live with it to compare my line between sessions. I use it in conjunction with the camera to confirm if I'm tracking out completely and getting all the way up on the curbing.
      07-24-2020, 07:11 AM   #32
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

My rear shelf mounted AiM GPS antenna report GPS accuracy of 50cm which is less the 3'
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
dparm3849.50
      09-20-2020, 08:25 PM   #33
cenotaph
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
While no where near as much data as AiM, if you bought an OBD device and used it with HLT, it could provide basic data, mine shows Throttle %, Coolant Temp, speed, rpm, gps data.
Is this the only real time data you can get over OBD? If not, is there a list somewhere? I'm looking to add some more data to TrackAddict.
      09-21-2020, 06:57 AM   #34
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cenotaph View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
While no where near as much data as AiM, if you bought an OBD device and used it with HLT, it could provide basic data, mine shows Throttle %, Coolant Temp, speed, rpm, gps data.
Is this the only real time data you can get over OBD? If not, is there a list somewhere? I'm looking to add some more data to TrackAddict.
The thing I was missing the most using TrackAddict, External GPS and OBD adapter is brake pressure information and steering angle.

It is very useful to see speed, throttle, brake pressure (psi numbers) and steering angle.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2020, 04:19 PM   #35
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cenotaph View Post
Sorry didn't see this until now. It depends on the car, for our cars:

I am able to export the following log to csv:
LAPINDEX
DATE
TIME
TIME_LAP
LATITUDE
LONGITUDE
SPEED_KPH
SPEED_MPH
HEIGHT_M
HEIGHT_FT
HEADING_DEG
SATELLITES
ACCURACY_M
DISTANCE_KM
DISTANCE_MILE
ACCELERATIONSOURCE[CALCULATED/MEASURED/UNDEFINED]
LATERALG
LINEALG
LEAN
RPM
WHEEL_SPEED_KPH
WHEEL_SPEED_MPH
THROTTLE
GEAR
FUEL
COOLANT_CELSIUS
IAT_CELSIUS
MAP

HLT can capture more values, but oil temp is not standard on our cars, HLT can add custom PIDs but it seems complicated and I don't understand how to do it.

I can't make sense of the instructions for adding a custom PID, i also dont know where to get it.
Quote:
To understand how a known custom PID can be utilized, let us have a look into an example: for some Ford cars, the steering
wheel angle is available as a mode $22 parameter. Ford uses 2 byte PIDs which is $3201 for the angle. Most custom PIDs
are not answered when requested using functional addressing / OBD mode. Instead a physical ECU needs to be addressed.
For this custom PID, it is the ABS ECU which provides the parameter. Finally, the reply is a one byte value “A”, which can be
mapped to an degree angle by calculating (6.25*A)-800.
The following columns were empty which I am guessing isn't supported by the app on our cars:
OIPPRESSURE
BRAKEPRESSURE
WHEEL_SPEED_RL_DELTA_KPH
WHEEL_SPEED_RR_DELTA_KPH
WHEEL_SPEED_FL_DELTA_KPH
WHEEL_SPEED_FR_DELTA_KPH
YAWRATE
ODO
STEERINGANGLE
STEERINGANGLERATE
FIXTYPE[COMBUSTION
CSC
ELECTRIC
HYBRID]
SUPPORTLEVEL
DRIVERPOWER
ENGINEPOWER
BAT_CELSIUS
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2022, 10:51 AM   #36
TrackEnthusiast
Private
Rep
Drives: 125i 2014

Cheap alternative with MLaptimer app and GoPro

There is another option for those who want to spare some bucks (my case). Recently, I've put together some code to use a GoPro as video and GPS along with the MLaptimer app. It is very straight forward to use, no need for wiring into any ECU neither pairing different devices via bluetooth. All you need is to go out on the track while recording with the GoPro and with the MLaptimer app. By the way, the MLaptimer for iPhone is a really cool app, specially if you consider that the car sensors (but the GPS) are very accurate.

The code I've put together will parse the MLaptimer low res GPS track with the high res GPS track from the camera, sync everything together, and output a csv file for rendering videos with Dashware or RaceRender. Even better, it also outputs a .vbo file, which can be used in CT to analyze the driving, with very good quality (of course, quality depends on how good you set up the GoPro). Check the results below and access www.easy-telemetry.com to know more. Note: processing the app files is free, but there is a little fee for processing GoPro files.

Appreciate 1
dparm3849.50