BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

EXXEL Distributions

03-21-2019, 09:18 PM   #23
tsk94
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E82 128i, F82 M4, E36

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximusB View Post
For the dust shield, should I remove it or trim it? Seems like it is better to remove it completely as it offers better cooling to the brakes, but will that introduce more dust in the wheel well area?
Front - remove. Rears - trim.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 11:20 PM   #24
MaximusB
Major
Rep
Drives: 13 Frozen White E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk94 View Post
Front - remove. Rears - trim.
Interesting, reason being?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2019, 11:51 PM   #25
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
For the dust shield, should I remove it or trim it? Seems like it is better to remove it completely as it offers better cooling to the brakes, but will that introduce more dust in the wheel well area?
For the front i was able to unbolt most of it which is quick, convenient and lets you go back to stock

I recall trimming the rear shield of my e46 and what remained looked very dangerous
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 12:00 AM   #26
tsk94
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E82 128i, F82 M4, E36

Quote:
The front's are held on with 3 bolts so it's simple to do. I believe the rears are actually part of the rear hud assembly so completely removing them isn't so simple. Simply trimming them in the rear is the easiest and most effective approach.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 12:36 AM   #27
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

RacingBrake (RB) makes a rear replacement rotor for our cars (and a front rotor too). I have them on my car. Something to think about
      03-22-2019, 01:09 AM   #28
MaximusB
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk94 View Post
Quote:
The front's are held on with 3 bolts so it's simple to do. I believe the rears are actually part of the rear hud assembly so completely removing them isn't so simple. Simply trimming them in the rear is the easiest and most effective approach.
Ahh got ya. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 01:12 AM   #29
MaximusB
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
RacingBrake (RB) makes a rear replacement rotor for our cars (and a front rotor too). I have them on my car. Something to think about
Thanks. I was looking at those, as well as Zimmerman, Pfc, stoptech and oem. In the end I decided on the stoptech bbk. It is something I was going to get next year or so.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2019, 03:09 PM   #30
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

I have a Stoptech 355 front kit and the RB rear replacement rotors and they are definitely brakes!
      04-10-2019, 10:42 AM   #31
lutfy
Captain
Rep
Drives: G87 M2, NASA ST5 86, Defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
I was going to say the exact same thing

PFC DD rotors up front, match them with your rear stock rotors. It is more braking power than you need and the DD rotor keeps much cooler than stock
+1 I used to track my M3 extensively and hated the stock rotors. They would overheat, those cheese grator would chew up pads etc. mushy pedal even with Castrol SRF. HORRIBLE.

I got PFC DD rotors (it was V2 back then) and bang it made a big difference (I unbolted the heat shields too). It would last 3 weekends on the track and I would chance it preventative after 6 track days as it was question of time it would surface to the rim. But I did a bit of runs each day (Chin etc giving lots of time on track).

Pads were mated with Pagid Yellows (which we ran in all of our cars at Yas Marina when I worked there). You can get better pads like PFC01 etc if competing but for value that was mysetup matched with OEM rear rotors.

Braking was never an issue short of sometimes I would get mushy pedal every two weekends (no ducting as it was a street car).

Is BBK better? Sure. Required? No.

Dont do the FCP returns. The stock rotors fall short on the track big time once you start going full boogie with sticky tires.

Lutfy
Appreciate 2
SYT_Shadow11421.00
redpriest2145.50
      04-10-2019, 11:45 AM   #32
Candide13
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 M3 ZCP 6MT AW/FR

Quote:
I was going to say the exact same thing

PFC DD rotors up front, match them with your rear stock rotors. It is more braking power than you need and the DD rotor keeps much cooler than stock
I am tempted by this, though it does not get rid of the fiddly brake pad replacement procedure for the stock front caliperss...as you've got experience both with stock calipers and big calipers, how much does the braking performance differ on this product?

I.e., how much performance do I miss out on by not going BBK, apart from the convenience of doing pad changes one-handed whilst smoking a cigar..
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2019, 11:54 AM   #33
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candide13 View Post
I am tempted by this, though it does not get rid of the fiddly brake pad replacement procedure for the stock front caliperss...as you've got experience both with stock calipers and big calipers, how much does the braking performance differ on this product?

I.e., how much performance do I miss out on by not going BBK, apart from the convenience of doing pad changes one-handed whilst smoking a cigar..
Interestingly, even though the pad change in my BBK is very fast, since I discovered the PFC11 pads I won't switch to street pads unless I have more than a month or two until my next track event.

I find the BBK is especially useful in long stints when really pushing on the braking zones and going quite fast. Consumable cost is also lower but you need to do many days to amortize the BBK.
The way the E90 is driven, with +50 days a year, I don't see any other option. If I were doing 5-10 days a year I'd probably have the DD rotors and call it a day.

There is a performance difference if you are able to go fast enough to take advantage of it. I don't think the PFC DD would be able to outbrake GT3 RSs consistently for two 30 min sessions back to back, but the PFC BBK takes that and asks for more.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2019, 12:00 PM   #34
Candide13
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 M3 ZCP 6MT AW/FR

Quote:
Interestingly, even though the pad change in my BBK is very fast, since I discovered the PFC11 pads I won't switch to street pads unless I have more than a month or two until my next track event.

I find the BBK is especially useful in long stints when really pushing on the braking zones and going quite fast. Consumable cost is also lower but you need to do many days to amortize the BBK.
The way the E90 is driven, with +50 days a year, I don't see any other option. If I were doing 5-10 days a year I'd probably have the DD rotors and call it a day.

There is a performance difference if you are able to go fast enough to take advantage of it. I don't think the PFC DD would be able to outbrake GT3 RSs consistently for two 30 min sessions back to back, but the PFC BBK takes that and asks for more.
Thanks! Something to think about..

Can the PFC dd be upgraded to a BBK later on by just purchasing the caliper?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2019, 12:17 PM   #35
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candide13 View Post
Thanks! Something to think about..

Can the PFC dd be upgraded to a BBK later on by just purchasing the caliper?
It's a different offset hat and I'm 99% sure the rotor thickness is also different.

It really depends on what you're doing. If you want to do some track days and daily drive your M3 I'd get the DD rotors.

If you use the M3 as a tool to crush infidels at track days, have a suspension with high spring rates, then the PFC BBK is truly spectacular. I'm currently spending huge amounts of time trying to build brackets that will allow me to take the PFC BBK to my F80 CS... that is how good it is
Appreciate 1
Candide13202.00
      04-10-2019, 02:43 PM   #36
atopa2002
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z3M, 2013 e92 M3, F15 X5

Quote:
It's a different offset hat and I'm 99% sure the rotor thickness is also different.

It really depends on what you're doing. If you want to do some track days and daily drive your M3 I'd get the DD rotors.

If you use the M3 as a tool to crush infidels at track days, have a suspension with high spring rates, then the PFC BBK is truly spectacular. I'm currently spending huge amounts of time trying to build brackets that will allow me to take the PFC BBK to my F80 CS... that is how good it is
You’ve crossed over to the dark side
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2019, 02:54 PM   #37
macdude357
Captain
Rep
Drives: IB E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by atopa2002 View Post
Speaking of crushing infidels, the "benchmark" track here in SoCal is Buttonwillow CW13. The "benchmark" time is < 2:00. I've come oh so close with a 2:00.5 but haven't been able to break through yet. I often watch YouTube videos of others at the track. Once in a while I'll come across a video of someone in something like a C7 GS and see them getting on the throttle later than me, taking the corners a bit slower than me and then, BOOM, 1:59. So frustrating.

So it was with much pleasure this last weekend at Willow Springs (a "horsepower" track if there ever was one), that the two C7 Z06's in my run group (one with Hoosiers and one with Cup2's) had to grid up behind my near full weight sedan with RS4's every session (Speed Ventures grids by laptimes).
Appreciate 2
SYT_Shadow11421.00
redpriest2145.50
      04-10-2019, 03:03 PM   #38
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by atopa2002 View Post
Hahahahaha

Not really, I still have both E9Xs!

I've always said M always builds the most trackable cars, now I'm putting my money where my mouth is!
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2019, 04:07 PM   #39
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by macdude357 View Post
Speaking of crushing infidels, the "benchmark" track here in SoCal is Buttonwillow CW13. The "benchmark" time is < 2:00. I've come oh so close with a 2:00.5 but haven't been able to break through yet. I often watch YouTube videos of others at the track. Once in a while I'll come across a video of someone in something like a C7 GS and see them getting on the throttle later than me, taking the corners a bit slower than me and then, BOOM, 1:59. So frustrating.

So it was with much pleasure this last weekend at Willow Springs (a "horsepower" track if there ever was one), that the two C7 Z06's in my run group (one with Hoosiers and one with Cup2's) had to grid up behind my near full weight sedan with RS4's every session (Speed Ventures grids by laptimes).
The Vettes are extremely capable. Run R1s next time hehe. Good job!
Appreciate 0