BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

European Auto Source (EAS)

06-25-2018, 10:12 AM   #1
Candide13
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 M3 ZCP 6MT AW/FR

Battery registration with Schwaben/Foxwell tool

So I replaced my OEM battery yesterday with a Bosch 49-850BAGM unit. Novels have been written about the back-breaking experience of doing the actual swap for our cars, and my experience was par for the course, I think, but I managed.

Afterwards I tried to register the battery with a Foxwell NT510 tool, which I had bought with this purpose in mind, however that step failed. I particular, the tool claimed success, but when looking at the battery registration history with the same tool, it did not show the new battery. Same with the stored histogram of battery charge levels, which was not erased back to zero. Asking Foxwell resulted in a "yes you can" response with no specifics.

Afterwards, of course, I found a bunch of threads about Foxwell & Carly that discuss this issue. It could be that batteries for regular E9x cars can indeed be registered, but not batteries for E9x M3s.

So, my question is: has anyone on this forum been successful registering a new battery for their E9x M3 with a Schwaben/Foxwell tool? Here "success" means that it shows the battery registration in the history after the event. Getting a "success" message is not enough.

Come to think of it, another measure of success would be if the start/stop process worked again after the battery change. My old battery was sufficiently weak that the start/stop process was never engaged anymore.

Thanks....

Last edited by Candide13; 06-25-2018 at 10:35 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2018, 07:58 PM   #2
8500RPM
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 CP

I don't have any advice about the battery unfortunately but never engage the start/stop feature. Worst thing ever invented for performance engines by far
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2018, 09:33 PM   #3
vincE92M3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M

Garage List
'11 E92 M3  [0.00]
Was able to do so and verify with the latest version of Carly
      09-07-2018, 01:05 PM   #4
Candide13
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 M3 ZCP 6MT AW/FR

Update on Schwaben tool

Ok, so here is an update on new battery registration with the Schwaben tool.

The tool definitely cannot store the mileage for the battery change, it says registration is successful, but it always shows the same mileage numbers when reading out the details afterwards. So to that extent this does not work.

However, it does seem to be able to reset the battery charging algorithm. I say that because after using the tool my start/stop function worked again, which hasn't been working for at least two years, as the old battery slowly got weaker. (And yes, I normally switch start/stop off, like everyone else.)

Bottom line: the tool gets the job done in the sense that it resets the charging algorithm. It cannot store the actual mileage numbers etc, which is a shame but really secondary.

I'll keep the tool now.

Appreciate 0
      12-24-2018, 02:09 PM   #5
Araig82
Registered
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

I’m going through this right now. I just registered my new battery, it said successful. When going back into it to verify it only shows my previous setup. I put a agm battery in and it looks as though it’s still the 90ah lead acid battery. Also the old mileage. Everything is working fine (for now) but I’d like to see the new setup in the system. Did I do something wrong?
Appreciate 0