BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > New and Preowned M3 Pricing, Ordering, Tracking / European Delivery / Dealer Reviews

10-20-2020, 04:58 PM   #1
tiltedwilt
Registered
Rep
Drives: WTB E92 M3

2009 E90 M3 Buying Advice

New around here and found a 2009 M3 6MT in Interlagos Blue and am curious if it's a good deal or if I should run like hell. It's got ~113,500 on the odometer and RBs have been done, although I'm not sure at what mileage. Not sure about TAs. 3 previous owners and I'm forced to buy sight unseen. Plan on having a PPI done but wanna see what y'all think before I go ahead with that. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 05:16 PM   #2
E90M3velocity
Captain
Philippines
Rep
Drives: Manual-Slicktop E90 M3

RB's are done which is a good sign of the owner's commitment on maintaining the car. Even if the car has a maintenance history, I would still have a PPI done by a legit shop to check it out in its current state. Their eyes are basically yours since you can't go there yourself.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 08:29 AM   #3
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltedwilt View Post
New around here and found a 2009 M3 6MT in Interlagos Blue and am curious if it's a good deal or if I should run like hell. It's got ~113,500 on the odometer and RBs have been done, although I'm not sure at what mileage. Not sure about TAs. 3 previous owners and I'm forced to buy sight unseen. Plan on having a PPI done but wanna see what y'all think before I go ahead with that. Thanks!
How would we be able to comment on if it's a good deal with only the mileage and rod bearings?

Aside from results of a PPI (which realistically will tell you how much you'll need to invest off the bat, but not if it's a good deal):

-What is the overall condition? I saw a car with 145k that was in frankly great condition, 2 owner car and the second owner was a detailer who kept it very clean. I just knew I had a higher budget and it wasn't the exact spec I wanted.
-Are there full service records? That will be just as much an indicator of how much the owners cared than just the rod bearings. If the owner did the rod bearings but also tracked the car 10 times a year, that might have much different stipulations.
-Clean carfax, no accidents? Original paint work?
-Stock or modded? Cars with a lot of cheap aftermarket stuff are probably less desirable and less valuable than something mostly stock.

I still wouldn't feel comfortable doing something sight unseen unless the owner was meticulously detailed. I bought my car from a dealer a few states away but I still went to pick it up in person before handing over the money.
      10-21-2020, 11:20 AM   #4
tiltedwilt
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdemon View Post
-What is the overall condition? I saw a car with 145k that was in frankly great condition, 2 owner car and the second owner was a detailer who kept it very clean. I just knew I had a higher budget and it wasn't the exact spec I wanted.
-Are there full service records? That will be just as much an indicator of how much the owners cared than just the rod bearings. If the owner did the rod bearings but also tracked the car 10 times a year, that might have much different stipulations.
-Clean carfax, no accidents? Original paint work?
-Stock or modded? Cars with a lot of cheap aftermarket stuff are probably less desirable and less valuable than something mostly stock.
It's listed for $25k. As far as overall condition, from videos and pictures I've seen it looks to be in very good condition. Paint has been color corrected recently. Owner 2 reported damage to rear on the Carfax, and also doesn't have any service records on the books. Carfax is pretty sparse on service records. Fairly certain it is bone stock, no obvious mods. No way to know if it was tracked since its coming from a dealer. There's parts of the deal that definitely sketch me out, which is why I came here to ask people that know way more than I do. Really just wanna know if it's even worth it to go through with the PPI.

Quote:
I still wouldn't feel comfortable doing something sight unseen unless the owner was meticulously detailed. I bought my car from a dealer a few states away but I still went to pick it up in person before handing over the money.
Trust me I don't either, but as I get deeper into the search, I'm realizing that that's probably the only way I'm gonna get one to me. The Navy's not too keen on letting us travel at the moment.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 11:43 AM   #5
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep

That price feels way too high for a '09 with 100k+, you're paying for the rareness of the blue in that situation. A quick look shows there are a number of 2011 cars with like 85k in that price range.

With an accident on the car fax and no service history I'd be inclined to pass unless the dealer was willing to come down or you absolutely had to have a blue car right now.
      10-21-2020, 12:54 PM   #6
br2wdc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 E90 LMB

CyberDemon has nailed it, but I'll chime in since I was recently in your shoes.

First off, RB and TA are the biggest concerns for any E9x M3, and if they can PROVE the RB have been done (actual hard copy receipt of work done), that is a big hurdle for a car with over 100k.

Price of $25k is curious for a 2009 E92 and does seem higher then normal to me with the main reasons are IB paint + 6MT + dealer markup. Does it have CF roof? Single hump? Cloth interior? If not, it's priced a bit high.

But to me the biggest factor would be the PPI, which IMHO you must get. The results will really determine if anything the dealer is telling you is true, which I have unfortunately found out is usually never the case.

Finally assuming the car passes a PPI, if you have your heart set on IB/LMB exterior, you must be prepared to jump on the car.

I was also a remote buyer when I purchased my car, and once the car passed the PPI, I had lined up everything to allow me to pickup the car a few days later.

Good luck!

Quote:
New around here and found a 2009 M3 6MT i
n Interlagos Blue and am curious if it's a good deal or if I should run like hell. It's got ~113,500 on the odometer and RBs have been done, although I'm not sure at what mileage. Not sure about TAs. 3 previous owners and I'm forced to buy sight unseen. Plan on having a PPI done but wanna see what y'all think before I go ahead with that. Thanks!
Quote:
It's listed for $25k. As far as overall condition, from videos and pictures I've seen it looks to be in very good condition. Paint has been color corrected recently. Owner 2 reported damage to rear on the Carfax, and also doesn't have any service records on the books. Carfax is pretty sparse on service records. Fairly certain it is bone stock, no obvious mods. No way to know if it was tracked since its coming from a dealer. There's parts of the deal that definitely sketch me out, which is why I came here to ask people that know way more than I do. Really just wanna know if it's even worth it to go through with the PPI.

Trust me I don't either, but as I get deeper into the search, I'm realizing that that's probably the only way I'm gonna get one to me. The Navy's not too keen on letting us travel at the moment.
Quote:
That price feels way too high for a '09 with 100k+, you're paying for the rareness of the blue in that situation. A quick look shows there are a number of 2011 cars with like 85k in that price range.

With an accident on the car fax and no service history I'd be inclined to pass unless the dealer was willing to come down or you absolutely had to have a blue car right now.

2011 E90 M3 | Le Mans Blue | DCT | Slicktop
“The end is inevitable Maverick, your kind is headed for extinction” … “maybe so sir, but not today” – Tom Cruise in Top Gun: Maverick
Previous: 2006 E90 330i | 6MT -- 2001 E39 540i | 6MT -- 1997 E36 M3 | Techno Violet | 5MT
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 03:10 PM   #7
tiltedwilt
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by br2wdc View Post
Price of $25k is curious for a 2009 E92 and does seem higher then normal to me with the main reasons are IB paint + 6MT + dealer markup. Does it have CF roof? Single hump? Cloth interior? If not, it's priced a bit high.

But to me the biggest factor would be the PPI, which IMHO you must get. The results will really determine if anything the dealer is telling you is true, which I have unfortunately found out is usually never the case.
It has the sunroof, CIC, and leather seats.

I think I'm going to go ahead with the PPI, but what would be a good price to get them down to if they'll budge? Really appreciate all the help!
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 04:15 PM   #8
tiltedwilt
Registered
Rep

Update: Dealer wasn't going to budge at all on the price so I politely passed. Here's the car in question if any of y'all care. I really appreciate the insight!

https://rpmgaragetx.com/2009-bmw-m3-...-75229/6863714
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 06:53 PM   #9
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep

Judging by the painted side markers, aftermarket wheels & studs, and LED angel eyes it looks like it was certainly owned by an enthusiast (and it's almost my twin except for the transmission and aluminum trim).

It looks like it's in pretty good condition for the mileage, but you can certainly see the leather wear on the steering wheel, shifter, etc and the valve covers look pretty bubbly. There honestly aren't enough closeups or high res images of the paint to tell the condition. My dealer did the same thing, constantly sending me 640x480 images like he sold Ferrari's but could only afford a Motorola Razr for pictures.

It's definitely a $3-5k premium you'd be spending for the color (which I get cause I did it too). If you are like me and you absolutely have to have it in blue, then it's still cheaper than the $40K I spent, but just know that you could probably find a black or white car in better shape for similar or less.

But blue looks so damn good I don't mind that money missing from my bank account...I've already had 3 white BMW's couldn't do another one.

Name:  IMG_5418.jpg
Views: 754
Size:  808.6 KB
      10-21-2020, 09:25 PM   #10
br2wdc
First Lieutenant
Rep

OK well now I see why they are asking $25k: very, very rare combination to see an E90 with 6MT, add in the IB and you have a car almost impossible to find.

It looks extremely clean and you can see the small upgrades (black M3 badge, updated lighting and wheel bolts) plus Michelin tires all suggest it was taken care of, possibly by an BMW enthusiast.

While I now understand the higher price, the high miles would cause a dilemma for you down the road: put just 17k miles in 2+ years, and now you want something different, but need to sell a 09 M3 with 130k miles? Very difficult to get high resale with that many miles.

Both Cyber-D and I understand the quest for IB/LMB. If you really want E90+6MT+IB, I'd do a PPI to at least see what other issues there are. If they find some issues and you still want the car, use those issues as leverage to get the dealer to come down in price.

To me passing or holding off on this particular car as you have decided makes the most sense. If your budget is around $25k, you most certainly will find a number of good cars with less then 100k in just as good of condition, possibly with RB and TA already done.

Quote:
Update: Dealer wasn't going to budge at all on the price so I politely passed. Here's the car in question if any of y'all care. I really appreciate the insight!

https://rpmgaragetx.com/2009-bmw-m3-...-75229/6863714
Quote:
Judging by the painted side markers, aftermarket wheels & studs, and LED angel eyes it looks like it was certainly owned by an enthusiast (and it's almost my twin except for the transmission and aluminum trim).

It's definitely a $3-5k premium you'd be spending for the color (which I get cause I did it too). If you are like me and you absolutely have to have it in blue, then it's still cheaper than the $40K I spent, but just know that you could probably find a black or white car in better shape for similar or less.

But blue looks so damn good I don't mind that money missing from my bank account...I've already had 3 white BMW's couldn't do another one.

Attachment 2443485

“The end is inevitable Maverick, your kind is headed for extinction” … “maybe so sir, but not today” – Tom Cruise in Top Gun: Maverick
Previous: 2006 E90 330i | 6MT -- 2001 E39 540i | 6MT -- 1997 E36 M3 | Techno Violet | 5MT
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 08:51 AM   #11
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep

BTW here is another 2009 IG car @ $26k with only 66k miles. Extended leather even though it's silver.

https://cargur.us/CZ_Vd
      10-23-2020, 07:01 AM   #12
br2wdc
First Lieutenant
Rep

Nicely done Cyber-D! That car is not too far from me and from the listing looks great, and certainly worth a PPI.

Quote:
BTW here is another 2009 IG car @ $26k with only 66k miles. Extended leather even though it's silver.

https://cargur.us/CZ_Vd

Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 10:05 AM   #13
Ab28
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3/E39 M5/128i

Quote:
Thats my E39 M5 in the background!

Next year I'll say hello in person.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2020, 12:18 PM   #14
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab28 View Post
Thats my E39 M5 in the background!

Next year I'll say hello in person.
Next time we'll have to get name tags that include everyones Name, instagram handle and screen name.
Ab28591.00