BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

03-02-2011, 05:03 PM   #45
mrkhanna16
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 SSII/Fox Red ZCP DCT

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by philingyou View Post
now i just need to find the right e9x for me. but is buying a used and leased car a good idea? since its much cheaper, i dont want to kill my grandma cause of the price tag for special ordering one. i looked around and i read that used and leased are more abused then normally. since people dont take care of it to much is that true?

what are the cons of buying a used and leased e9x?

thanks
dont buy a used leased car!!!!!

E92 M3 SSII/Fox Red, DCT, ZCP
past rides-IS350, E92 335i
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 05:10 PM   #46
Erhan
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cooper S

Get like a GTI, Mini Cooper S or something on that price range, AT MOST. Trust me, you can't handle an M3, wheter it is E46 or E92. So what's the point then?

Where are you gonna find money for insurance and gas anyways. If someone will be handing you money for it, get something cheap, reliable and economical. Save up, invest.

You're at the age where you should be working/studying most of the time. You won't have time to enjoy life, and when you do, find something cheaper (and safer) than having/driving an E92 M3.

---

ps. I've a friend who is much older than 56. He owns a Z4 M Coupe. He is a high performance driving instructor. He sometimes tracks his car multiple times a week. I believe he "floors the car a lot".
      03-02-2011, 05:12 PM   #47
mrkhanna16
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by erhanh View Post
Get like a GTI, Mini Cooper S or something on that price range, AT MOST. Trust me, you can't handle an M3, wheter it is E46 or E92. So what's the point then?

Where are you gonna find money for insurance and gas anyways. If someone will be handing you money for it, get something cheap, reliable and economical. Save up, invest.

You're at the age where you should be working/studying most of the time. You won't have time to enjoy life, and when you do, find something cheaper (and safer) than having/driving an E92 M3.
when your young is when it is easier to enjoy life. once you get older you might have a family and more responsibilities.

Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 05:17 PM   #48
LFTLANE
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' 535xi

09' M3.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 05:25 PM   #49
BimmerM
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F95 X5 M C, '11.5 E92 M3 C

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 M  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Price will vary greatly depending on the options you want.

If you are looking for used, definately go for a CPO (Certified Pre-Owned) car. Go to BMWUSA.com and on top, select Certified Pre-Owned, then select Model Search to search for cars in your area. There's a lot of them out there so you should have a good selection to choose from. You will still have the remaining factory warranty to take care of any issues you find.

Note that if you want iDrive, the 2008 models have the older iDrive. Cars built from 2009 to Sept 2010 have the newer harddrive based iDrive, and Sept 2010 and newer have the newer COMBOX iDrive to support more features.

Also 2011 model year and newer have LED Taillights if you care about that.

A leased car will mean monthly payments. Well I guess same will be true if you finance a car. However, it depends on whether you want to own the car in the end or not. If you want to own the car then financing would be a safer option. If you lease you can choose to buy off the car at the end of the lease or return it.

Hope that helps. Can't wait to see what you choose.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 05:33 PM   #50
bavarian06
Captain
Rep
Drives: e46 m3

I cant believe an e9x m3 is becoming the norm for kids. The demographics for the m3 is suppose to be 40+. what's going on here, arent we in a recession?

Make your first responsible decision and think for your parents. insuring that car for a person at your age is going to horrendous. I cant even imagine how much it will be once you get a ticket. Plus the art school is really expensive. I know a director for the institute and he said himself he’s amazed how much people are willing to pay for this type of schooling (poor ROI IMO).

As much as anyone think they can handle a +400hp car, they cant (unless you have taken professional driving courses and seen track time). At age 31 and gone through extensive driving schools and seen track days, I still think the car is too much for me, let alone a beginner driver. This reminds me of when newbie squids would get 1000cc supersport bikes, wanting max hp, to only crash it and/or kill themselves. Heard it way too many times.

Good luck on your decision.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 05:38 PM   #51
jamesjjj
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Mazdaspeed 3

Numerous of my friends are from Pasadena Art Center, (4-5 of them in automotive design)

Trust me, you don't need a M3. (yet, I know everyone wants a baller ride to school) Save the money because you are going to be spending even more $$ on 3D models and equipments. You can build your own m3.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 05:49 PM   #52
mrkhanna16
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarian06 View Post
I cant believe an e9x m3 is becoming the norm for kids. The demographics for the m3 is suppose to be 40+. what's going on here, arent we in a recession?

Make your first responsible decision and think for your parents. insuring that car for a person at your age is going to horrendous. I cant even imagine how much it will be once you get a ticket. Plus the art school is really expensive. I know a director for the institute and he said himself he’s amazed how much people are willing to pay for this type of schooling (poor ROI IMO).

As much as anyone think they can handle a +400hp car, they cant (unless you have taken professional driving courses and seen track time). At age 31 and gone through extensive driving schools and seen track days, I still think the car is too much for me, let alone a beginner driver. This reminds me of when newbie squids would get 1000cc supersport bikes, wanting max hp, to only crash it and/or kill themselves. Heard it way too many times.

m3 is no biggie for the 17-20 group. there is a kid at occ that has the new 599 gto. some people are more fortunate than others

Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 06:04 PM   #53
mexicanmike
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 E93 Jerez Black

Here is what I would do if I was in the same situation.

Get the e46, as long it has been taken care of and is reliable, it will be a real pleasure to drive. Take the difference between the two cars, assuming thats in the table and invest it. Buy the time you are done with school, you should have made a profit of some sort from the invested funds. At this point you can figure out if you want to spend that money on a car, or something else. If you want to use it on a car, awesome, get whatever you want.

I would invest the cash and get the e46 for two reasons. 1) You will be parking in school lots, more than likely visiting parties, having fun ect. Do you know what a gigantic pain in the ass it is to be young and have to worry about a-holes hitting/messign with your car. This will seriously limit were you actually decide to go. I am not saying that the e46 will be much different, but it will def draw less attention from haters. Haters gonna hate you know. Esp if they are drunk, young, and dumb. Now i know what your thinking, "ehh whatever, its not like I'm going to be partying at frat houses or anything". Well.....maybe not, but when you decide to go out with friends, who do you think they are going to want to drive?(Either way it will be you) Unless you and your 18 year old buddies frequent fine dining establishments, more than likely you will be parked next to some jabroni in a jalopy, that will, even if on accident, potentially damage your car.

Even at my age, I am so anal when I drive my car. I don't like parking in crowded lots, and will walk far to keep my car out of the main parking areas.

Also, have you ever driven a drunk friend home? (Your answer better be no, your 17 damn it ) Yea, it sucks when your buddy pukes in your car, but.......it comes with the friendships sometimes.

Congrats on the M, whichever you go with.

Either way, get any and all mistakes out of the way at a young age, driving related, or not. Your future self will thank you.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 08:24 PM   #54
TX
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 ///M3 E92 APW 6MT

Yikes is all I can say, I've only had my M3 a few months now and what a beast it is. I mean not to be rude, but your grandma must need better glasses to be even considering buying a 414HP V8 M3 for any 17 year old kid as his FIRST car. What on earth? Wow, I'm not even going to get into this. Someone is obviously made of money to even consider the upkeep, gas, insurance. Tires are $2200...every 15 thousand miles. Need I say more? But please dont wind up like another recent M3 driver on this forum.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 08:35 PM   #55
TX
Captain
Rep

Quote:

I have to agree with you. I thought I was young picking one up at 30. I thought I was doing well to be able to purchase an 09 E92. But I agree 100% with you. What the **** is wrong with the world where a $70,000 sports car is even considered by someone at that age. Especially as a gift. I mean the gift should be that they are putting you through college. That you even had the chance to go to college? Why is a car on top of a $200,000 degree even needed?

I can say that with nearly 100% odds I wouldn't be here today if I hadn't learned how to handle a car for the last 14 years before buying an M3. I'd probably be wrapped around a tree years ago if I had a 414HP v8 at 17, but hey thats just me.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 08:44 PM   #56
PinkFlamingo
Car Shopping Addict
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 GT4

Quote:
all these are good points, but out of bmw, i dont find anything similar to the m3. (im a die hard m3) i road in a friends 335is today, and it didnt feel similar to the m3 or even the e46, even though i had a good time up in the hills at Stanford university.

both are great cars, and both will really pull. but would the e9x be a better choice? since maintenance would be free, and insurance would be constant ( if i dont crash it) i feel overall the e9x would be a better choice,
but the fact that its a quite expensive car as well as its 414hp and around 300lb/ft its basically a death gift to me. as a parents perspective would this be a good choice?

also can anyone estimate the monthly payment if the pricing is around 45k and 0 down or msrp payment? ( my parents were never late into paying there bills even their 745 il full options).

thanks alot.
What does your patents payment history have to do with your Grandma buying you a car? If your Grandma has to finance this car, spending $45k is ridiculous.
      03-02-2011, 11:46 PM   #57
philingyou
Rep
Drives: bmw m3 e92 jet black

hmmm, people say that i should invest but i have no idea how to investing. if you guys or someone out there is willing to point out a good site or something, then im all ears. as for the car either which way, i go its a good car, both have ridiculous amount of power. (380 as well as 414)

for insurance, the car would be going under my dad or my moms name, most likely my dad since hes a better driver and he never has crashed his car only when someone bumping into him. for the gas my dad owns a gas station as his second job in downtown LA, so when ever i need gas go to him. but...

tires are amazingly expencive, i did not know tires are 2200... thats alot of money.

as for a
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 11:59 PM   #58
philingyou
Rep
Drives: bmw m3 e92 jet black

woops i didnt finish....

im most definitely looking to finance the car. or a 4 year lease. since asking 70,000 is alot for my grandma and i bet she doesnt have much time. (old age) so im going lower to only a 4 year payment. and nothing else.

im looking into a 09 model or a 08, since thats when the lease is basically over. also all i ask is a jet black color and competition package, if any dealer meets my criteria then im very interested. if there is a newer one im down to take a look and see if its worth it.

how much would the 011 LED lights cost? since if it makes the car look better then im a little intrested but have to figure out the price. for idrive, i dont really mind cause im intrested into supercharging it when i have the money. since i dont have to pay for gas, i can use all the gas i want basically. but most likely the farthest driving i would ever be doing when i go to school is probably form my apartment to my gas station.

either way i go thanks for the input and ill keep in mind what you have said
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 12:52 AM   #59
BimmerMeUp
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

So your father is going to insure this car as if it were his own and at his address, while you have the car and drive it around (with great enthusiasm)? Or are you going to live at home while not being listed on the policy as a primary driver?

Either way, sounds like trouble to me. If a car like either of these shows up wrecked and the insurance company gets any wiff of a 17 year old driver, I'd guess they will have a problem, and that problem will become your problem.

Dude, you are virtually guaranteed to have some kind of a wreck within the next few years. We've all been there. Be sure you are prepared for that eventuality in all regards, not just being belted in. You probably won't need a helmet, but you will need good insurance coverage. Maybe a lawyer too, those are expensive.

Save your granny and everyone else some big money and have fun with a late model GTI or MINI. Nothing wrong with those at all, and you're less likely to induce a stroke in your elders when they finally catch up with your automotive lusting.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 02:03 AM   #60
joseph328
Private First Class
Slovakia
Rep
Drives: 992 Turbo S , E92 M3, Audi SQ8

Quote:
The demographics for the m3 is suppose to be 40+.
So not true. That car is for anyone who can afford it, if he's willing to accept the Challenge.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 03:20 AM   #61
TX
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerMeUp View Post
So your father is going to insure this car as if it were his own and at his address, while you have the car and drive it around (with great enthusiasm)? Or are you going to live at home while not being listed on the policy as a primary driver?

Either way, sounds like trouble to me. If a car like either of these shows up wrecked and the insurance company gets any wiff of a 17 year old driver, I'd guess they will have a problem, and that problem will become your problem.

Dude, you are virtually guaranteed to have some kind of a wreck within the next few years. We've all been there. Be sure you are prepared for that eventuality in all regards, not just being belted in. You probably won't need a helmet, but you will need good insurance coverage. Maybe a lawyer too, those are expensive.

Save your granny and everyone else some big money and have fun with a late model GTI or MINI. Nothing wrong with those at all, and you're less likely to induce a stroke in your elders when they finally catch up with your automotive lusting.
Sir, you are correct. I forgot to mention in my earlier post that I recommended a golf GTI as a great learner car with a hell of a lot of power.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 03:21 AM   #62
TX
Captain
Rep

Quote:
woops i didnt finish....

im most definitely looking to finance the car. or a 4 year lease. since asking 70,000 is alot for my grandma and i bet she doesnt have much time. (old age) so im going lower to only a 4 year payment. and nothing else.

im looking into a 09 model or a 08, since thats when the lease is basically over. also all i ask is a jet black color and competition package, if any dealer meets my criteria then im very interested. if there is a newer one im down to take a look and see if its worth it.

how much would the 011 LED lights cost? since if it makes the car look better then im a little intrested but have to figure out the price. for idrive, i dont really mind cause im intrested into supercharging it when i have the money. since i dont have to pay for gas, i can use all the gas i want basically. but most likely the farthest driving i would ever be doing when i go to school is probably form my apartment to my gas station.

Others have brought this up, but I must bring it up again. Why on earth is your grandma financing a car for you? That's the most insane thing I think I have ever heard.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 03:30 AM   #63
TX
Captain
Rep

Exclamation

Quote:
woops i didnt finish....

You really are digging yourself into a hole here with these posts.
Grandma financing a e92 m3.
Not paying for gas
Supercharging a 414HP car at 17
demanding jet black and (competition package - not even available pre '11, no?)

I feel a total lack of appreciation and respect for what you are about to acquire which is rather sickening.
Maybe I'm just jealous, but I dont think I'd be making any demands of a family which is paying your total way to school and another 50K+ in a car.

Yes, I just got a quote from my dealer for new tires, which are basically bald, I have less than 1/16th" of tread left after 17K original miles for $2199 installed.

As a side note, can anyone post up their prices so I know if this is insane? It seems very high. I priced out the same OEM set of tires from tirerack with delivery for $1249, so almost $1K LESS than the installed from the dealer price.

A local shop here says they will mount and balance for 15 a tire, so that is 60 bucks which is still a heck of a lot cheaper than the extra thousand the dealer wants.

Anyone have any comparison prices?
Thanks.

Bottom line, I feel horrible that you would allow your grandmother to finance a car for you. At first you said she was buying you a car so we all figured money was involved. Financing is another story and if you're going to put the car under your parents insurance and be a full time driver. Wow, I hope you never hit me.

Think it over.

Last edited by TX; 03-03-2011 at 03:33 AM.. Reason: Missed a few lines, cheers!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 09:49 AM   #64
Erhan
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX View Post
Think it over.
+1. But not much faith.
      03-03-2011, 11:26 AM   #65
andrew9223
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135

Wait for grandma to die buy ferrari? She must be loaded to buy you a 60k car at 17.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 11:46 AM   #66
mr_yogi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Success

Not to be mean/rude (or as Ricky Bobby would say "With all due respect..."), but this thread is stupid and annoying. I don't know why I keep looking at it.

This guy doesn't know WTF he's doing. He's all over the place with his posts. /end rant.
Appreciate 0