BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

02-07-2023, 01:18 PM   #23
dizz81
Moving on
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral White F82 ZCP 6pd

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagob5 View Post
We've have a 2022 MYLR for over a year now and quality is pretty good imo. Not nearly as bad as some make it out to be but I also tailored my expectations to be reasonable. I understand this is not a luxury car and going in with that mindset, I think the Tesla is fine.

My biggest gripe with the car is the ride quality is pretty bad if you're not on a silky smooth road. Frankly, it rides like shit - more jarring than my E90 M3. I was not expecting that but I guess they have a new "comfort" suspension that they're putting on the MY's now so this may be a nonissue now. Sucks we cant get a retrofit for a couple hundred bucks..
But you like many others have paid "luxury" car price for the thing. I would expect some refinement for the money spent on a Tesla.

2011 Blk M3 ESS VT2 625/ES Race *Sold*
2018 MW F82 ZCP 6spd *Sold*
2021 Audi S5 SB
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2023, 01:35 PM   #24
chicagob5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizz81 View Post
But you like many others have paid "luxury" car price for the thing. I would expect some refinement for the money spent on a Tesla.
My point was that the quality is fine imo. I didnt come into this expecting leather on every surface with alcantara headliner. I expected a car that has decent cabin materials with reasonable build quality.

YMMV but we don't have issues with misaligned panels, excessive panel gaps, or creaks and rattles inside. I know many folks have had those issues, and I was ready to decline delivery if we did have problems, but we lucked out with a good one.

I wouldn't buy one for myself but I see why non car enthusiast like them. My wife really likes it and I enjoy the EV experience, which is good enough for me.
Appreciate 3
dizz81296.00
Cos270608.50
chris7197273.00
      02-07-2023, 01:39 PM   #25
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep
Drives: 981CS/428/is250/JLU Rubicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by g21 View Post
my apologies, i had not been in one but this guy has, and in the car that he is looking at, you are 100% right

If I was a mechanic, I would hate them too

No more gouging people for $300 oil changes (unless your my Porsche dealer who wants $695 wtf?)

In all seriousness for every "critic" video there are 100 videos from people who actually drive them that rave about them...My friend recently got a M3P and can't stop talking about it...says he will never go back to regular car again. He isn't alone in that thinking.

Funny thing is the gentlemen who bought my BMW works for Tesla body shop and said that the early model 17-18 had issues but that they've been very good from the MY19 on... Said the panel gaps are easy fix if it has them.

I am hoping for the best as I have my delivery appointment set for tomorrow at 11:30...will post initial thoughts and pics soon.

I have had some pretty cool cars in the last 20 years and must admit I haven't been this excited about picking up a new car since I flew to Oregon to pick up my first NSX 20 years ago

just a couple driving reviews here from a 2020 and 2023

this is kinda crazy...imagine having your pick of your favorite cars exhaust note when ever you want.

Last edited by SoCal_NSX; 02-07-2023 at 02:20 PM..
Appreciate 2
      02-07-2023, 04:58 PM   #26
BGM-M3COMP
The Ben Shapiro of this place. I never lose! LOL
Rep
Drives: 12 plaids on order

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_NSX View Post
If I was a mechanic, I would hate them too

No more gouging people for $300 oil changes (unless your my Porsche dealer who wants $695 wtf?)

In all seriousness for every "critic" video there are 100 videos from people who actually drive them that rave about them...My friend recently got a M3P and can't stop talking about it...says he will never go back to regular car again. He isn't alone in that thinking.

Funny thing is the gentlemen who bought my BMW works for Tesla body shop and said that the early model 17-18 had issues but that they've been very good from the MY19 on... Said the panel gaps are easy fix if it has them.

I am hoping for the best as I have my delivery appointment set for tomorrow at 11:30...will post initial thoughts and pics soon.

I have had some pretty cool cars in the last 20 years and must admit I haven't been this excited about picking up a new car since I flew to Oregon to pick up my first NSX 20 years ago

just a couple driving reviews here from a 2020 and 2023

this is kinda crazy...imagine having your pick of your favorite cars exhaust note when ever you want.

Lots of YouTube reviews of teslas and many of them state the build quality isn’t out of control as people make it seem.

So basically if someone hates a car, doesn’t matter what it achieves it’s no good in their eye.

It’s all good. The rising sales and being the number 1 ev car maker is already enough proof.

Lmao
      02-07-2023, 05:01 PM   #27
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
I'm still getting over the fact that you dropped the NSX.

The NSX is one of the few cars I really wish I had bought at some point in my life. The other is a 1965 Lincoln Continental.
yeah, I had three of them over a 15 year span and it was just time for something new...The Cayman slays it on every level, but it doesn't have the nostalgia that's for sure....I wish I kept it, but I much prefer driving the Porsche over it though.
It became a garage queen scene as nobody wanted to do drives anymore cuz they didn't want to put miles on them anymore ...it was time to move on.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2023, 05:57 PM   #28
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Eh, I'd say the Mechainc's assessment was spot on based on my limited experience with a Model 3 and a Model Y. He's right that the build cost is in the engineering and build of the thermal management system of the Tesla. The quality (fitness for use) of the body and interior are subpar for the price class. It's up to the individual owner to make such choices about cost vs. build quality. I found the Model 3 to be uncomfortable and loud inside (2018 model). The Model Y I didn't get a long trip in, but it too was loud. The suspension isolation is not of the price class and the appointments of the interior are below the price class. But again, it's up to the individual owner to make those decisions.

Yet for this thread, we all should be happy a fellow car enthusiast is super excited about buying his Model 3. It doesn't matter what any of us think about Tesla. We all can relate to that experience.
My m3 had its first rattle before 5k miles. Not even a year into ownership. This is a German luxury brand where people jerk off at the fact that no other car maker can touch. It’s above and beyond any other car maker in terms of quality. That’s bmw. That’s what people think of the car.

It’ll be 1 year next month I’ll have my model 3. Only noise I hear is road noise because of the shitty tires that came with the car. I’m not about to pull every single panel or look for seams and see if there’s any defect. That’s not why I got the car.

I got an ev for its ev purposes. Not because I’m looking for a luxury brand with impeccable build quality. If I did that I wouldn’t even be on this forum, I’ll be on the Mercedes forum. As they have better quality than bmw in my opinion. My friend has an old ass fucking e55 Amg and Car is buttery smooth, fast and tight. Yet I’m chasing an odd dash rattle or something in the center console.

You get a Tesla because you value what it is as a car FIRST, everything else is secondary.

The power, range and network for its price point is unmatched. That’s why I got one.
      02-08-2023, 08:46 AM   #29
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

In some areas my Model 3P has exceeded my expectations. In some areas it's pretty disappointing. After 9 months there are more interior rattles than any car I have ever owned and that's including modded Subaru STI and Mitsubishi EVO's. You really have to cross your finger that you got a good car with the dashboard installed properly as there are a bunch of annoying rattles that can develop that can't be fixed without removing the entire dash. Also the worst paint on any new car as Tesla purposely uses extremely soft paint so scratches and flaws at delivery can be easily corrected at delivery centers. The upper control arm issue still persists so expect to have those start creaking at any time. The build quality now is a lot better than when introduced but Tesla still has a long way to go to even hit the lowest ICE automaker standards for quality.
Appreciate 4
Cos270608.50
chris7197273.00
KRS_SN13107.50
      02-09-2023, 10:28 PM   #30
M3WC
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Interior rattles...reminds of early F8x days.

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1031768
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2023, 11:17 AM   #31
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

SoCal, I'm still looking forward to your review when you get the Model 3. Despite all the negativity espoused in the various posts, I know you will post a reasoned, rational and objective review.

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 02-12-2023 at 08:15 AM..
Appreciate 2
      02-12-2023, 10:49 AM   #32
MaC-N54-E82
G82 Love
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 M4 Competition xDrive

Garage List
Also interested in your review. I’m anything but an EV hater, as my wife dailies a Volvo EV, but was in a Model Y Lyft yesterday and it was a complete rattle trap.
Also: FJ60, Volvo Recharge
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2023, 01:47 PM   #33
R N M
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
I’m still surprised so many ppl buy these things. The interior is utterly depressing place to be. Also not having HUD or at least driver specific gauges is a huge safety issue imo. Thinks like the cardboard sun visors, uncomfortable seats, cheap plastics etc are all huge turnoffs.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2023, 06:11 AM   #34
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaC-N54-E82 View Post
Also interested in your review. I’m anything but an EV hater, as my wife dailies a Volvo EV, but was in a Model Y Lyft yesterday and it was a complete rattle trap.
I rode in a brand new Escalade a month ago in an Uber to nyc.

It was also a rattle trap. And it felt like the wheels would fall off with each bump he hit.

News flash, ALL UBER/LYFT cars drive like shit.
      02-13-2023, 05:48 PM   #35
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

I'm glad you bought a new car, but why all the fanfare about a plain-ole-dime-a-dozen white Tesla? If I bought myself a new Corolla or Camry, great, but not sure if I'd go starting threads about my first impressions and/or in-depth review.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2023, 10:16 PM   #36
BMWCCA1
BMW Owner Since 1971
Rep
Drives: 1964 700 Sport Cabriolet

Garage List
2013 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGM-M3COMP View Post
Not because I’m looking for a luxury brand with impeccable build quality. If I did that I wouldn’t even be on this forum, I’ll be on the Mercedes forum. As they have better quality than bmw in my opinion.
Appreciate 1
heavyD^23684.00
      02-14-2023, 12:03 AM   #37
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1 View Post
I'm glad you bought a new car, but why all the fanfare about a plain-ole-dime-a-dozen white Tesla? If I bought myself a new Corolla or Camry, great, but not sure if I'd go starting threads about my first impressions and/or in-depth review.

maybe cuz your Camry doesn't hang with super cars in 0-60 or lap other sport sedans that cost 2-3 times the price....

YouTube some Model 3 Performance videos

12th quickest production car in the world ....
https://www.motortrend.com/news/quic...tortrend-2019/

This is the Performance model, not the standard range model....it is the ultimate sleeper...people have no idea as was proven by your post.
Appreciate 1
chris7197273.00
      02-14-2023, 12:17 AM   #38
SoCal_NSX
Major
Rep

ok, finally picked up the new ride this morning and it was beyond my expectations....I honestly don't know how any red blooded car guy could hate on this car without actually driving one

It is fuggin insane FUN and seems to have endless torque at your disposal...the AWD also makes that power usable as it just goes where you point it. It is literally a high tech go-kart.

0-60 in 3.2 is no joke...I can't imagine the Plaid and it's 1.99 seconds

This is plenty speed for anyone and it is very addicting....I must have got lucky because this car is well sorted fit and finish is as good if not better than any of my previous BMW's...I think the internet lies

I've only had it for a day, but so far, I don't think the Porsche is going to see many miles anytime soon
Attached Images

Appreciate 8
M3WC3639.00
Efthreeoh16952.00
Burrcold5047.50
Sedoy675.50
      02-14-2023, 12:27 AM   #39
Wht340i
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340I

Congratulations! It looks nice. I personally know 3 people that got a model 3 and within two years of owning them they all have traded them in for something else. The performance is cool however that interior is not for me. I test drove one before getting my M340i and so far been super happy with it. Enjoy
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2023, 07:50 AM   #40
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
I rode in a brand new Escalade a month ago in an Uber to nyc.

It was also a rattle trap. And it felt like the wheels would fall off with each bump he hit.

News flash, ALL UBER/LYFT cars drive like shit.
Good lord you are an insufferable fanboy. Please stay at the Telsa forums and stop dumbing down this place. I own a Tesla and you don't see me going full on stupid here trying to justify ownership.
Appreciate 5
Burrcold5047.50
P111541.50
Efthreeoh16952.00
Mosaud19983892.50
KRS_SN13107.50
      02-14-2023, 06:57 PM   #41
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_NSX View Post
ok, finally picked up the new ride this morning and it was beyond my expectations....I honestly don't know how any red blooded car guy could hate on this car without actually driving one

It is fuggin insane FUN and seems to have endless torque at your disposal...the AWD also makes that power usable as it just goes where you point it. It is literally a high tech go-kart.

0-60 in 3.2 is no joke...I can't imagine the Plaid and it's 1.99 seconds

This is plenty speed for anyone and it is very addicting....I must have got lucky because this car is well sorted fit and finish is as good if not better than any of my previous BMW's...I think the internet lies

I've only had it for a day, but so far, I don't think the Porsche is going to see many miles anytime soon
Thanks for giving us an update.

Noted the "Level E" that photobombed the pic.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2023, 12:27 PM   #42
Steelguin
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C HHS/DCT

Quote:
Lots of YouTube reviews of teslas and many of them state the build quality isn’t out of control as people make it seem.

So basically if someone hates a car, doesn’t matter what it achieves it’s no good in their eye.

It’s all good. The rising sales and being the number 1 ev car maker is already enough proof.

Lmao
I don't hate the car at all, but its a total POS build quality wise. It is what it is, no hate.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2023, 12:43 PM   #43
BGM-M3COMP
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelguin View Post
I don't hate the car at all, but its a total POS build quality wise. It is what it is, no hate.
They’re not known for build quality. I do agree some are worse than others. Mine is fine.

People say they’re expensive yet they’re selling like hotcakes.

People say the build quality isn’t good yet they’re selling like hotcakes.

Because they’re the best at what they do, for the cost, period.
      02-15-2023, 02:06 PM   #44
g21
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M340T M550i EV6GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizz81 View Post
interestingly, in my country Tesla is the one of the cheapest EVs for $/kwh
Appreciate 0