BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....
 
European Auto Source (EAS)
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-10-2021, 07:25 AM   #1
PYE46M3
Captain
744
Rep
610
Posts

Drives: E46 M3, E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: CA

iTrader: (0)

E9x M3 vs. E46 M3 Driving Experience (2021 Edition)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whack6 View Post
They are proving to be more reliable and well built long term than e46M as well, and currently are changing hands at prices that make the e46M value proposition essentially a joke, especially when you consider the additional neediness those cars have.
Except the driving experience of the E9X compared to a E46 is a joke.
__________________
2005 Phoenix Yellow E46 M3 6MT Coupe
2013 Interlagos Blue E92 M3 6MT ZCP
2007 Imola Red Z4 M Coupe
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2021, 07:42 AM   #2
Epoustouflant
Banned
Canada
1162
Rep
451
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Montreal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYE46M3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by whack6 View Post
They are proving to be more reliable and well built long term than e46M as well, and currently are changing hands at prices that make the e46M value proposition essentially a joke, especially when you consider the additional neediness those cars have.
Except the driving experience of the E9X compared to a E46 is a joke.
Rising tides raise all boats here - if well maintained E46s go up, the E9Xs are bound to follow suit once distinctions between crap and clean examples (no matter the mileage) are clearer in the market.

The E9X is an improvement in most aspects of the driving experience (performance, reliability, transmissions, suspension, etc) versus the E46 except for the 100-200 lbs difference.
Appreciate 3
chocstraw436.50
DjMarkOne102.00
S65M3AL24.00
      01-10-2021, 11:22 PM   #3
whack6
Enlisted Member
26
Rep
31
Posts

Drives: 08 E90 M3 AW/FR
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Philly

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYE46M3 View Post
Except the driving experience of the E9X compared to a E46 is a joke.
Driven both, e9x is superior IMO. But thanks for your comment.
Appreciate 7
GeorgeA724.00
tsk941441.50
slcook541785.00
DjMarkOne102.00
      01-11-2021, 12:45 PM   #4
GeorgeA
Major
GeorgeA's Avatar
United_States
724
Rep
1,376
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whack6 View Post
Driven both, e9x is superior IMO. But thanks for your comment.
E46 is a great car to drive, feels natural and kind. With its slower steering and engine, but itís not as much theater as the E92, which feels much more brutal and rewarding. E92 is still one of the best all time cars to drive (sports cars included). That guy clearly hasnít driven the car properly.
Appreciate 1
      01-11-2021, 09:23 PM   #5
PYE46M3
Captain
744
Rep
610
Posts

Drives: E46 M3, E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeA View Post
That guy clearly hasnít driven the car properly.
how do you drive a car that feels like a bloated 550i properly? pretty much everyone outside this forum would agree that E46 is more raw and connected driving experience.
__________________
2005 Phoenix Yellow E46 M3 6MT Coupe
2013 Interlagos Blue E92 M3 6MT ZCP
2007 Imola Red Z4 M Coupe
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2021, 09:30 PM   #6
Epoustouflant
Banned
Canada
1162
Rep
451
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Montreal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYE46M3 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeA View Post
That guy clearly hasn’t driven the car properly.
how do you drive a car that feels like a bloated 550i properly? pretty much everyone outside this forum would agree that E46 is more raw and connected driving experience.
That's quite the hyperbole.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 07:47 AM   #7
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Cyberdemon's Avatar
1517
Rep
3,309
Posts

Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Long Island NY

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epoustouflant View Post
That's quite the hyperbole.
Welcome to the internet. I have to imagine they wouldn't own both cars if they hated them that much.

Some people like cucumbers, some people like pickles.

And some of us just wanted the car that had 4 doors.
__________________
Current: '20 X5, '18 M3 ZCP
Previous: '11 E90 335i, '11 E90 M3, '16 VW GTI, '15 M235i, '13 335i, '08 TL-S, '00 Corvette
Appreciate 1
      01-12-2021, 07:49 AM   #8
Epoustouflant
Banned
Canada
1162
Rep
451
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Montreal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdemon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epoustouflant View Post
That's quite the hyperbole.
Welcome to the internet. I have to imagine they wouldn't own both cars if they hated them that much.

Some people like cucumbers, some people like pickles.

And some of us just wanted the car that had 4 doors.
Brings me back to the cIviC M3 days 😂
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2021, 11:55 AM   #9
whack6
Enlisted Member
26
Rep
31
Posts

Drives: 08 E90 M3 AW/FR
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Philly

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYE46M3 View Post
how do you drive a car that feels like a bloated 550i properly? pretty much everyone outside this forum would agree that E46 is more raw and connected driving experience.
take it to a racetrack and wring the piss out of it, that's how. thanks again for your very on topic contributions to this thread lol.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 12:56 AM   #10
TH868Civils
Banned
TH868Civils's Avatar
8
Rep
11
Posts

Drives: M3, M4
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Still reading.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2021, 04:33 PM   #11
GeorgeA
Major
GeorgeA's Avatar
United_States
724
Rep
1,376
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYE46M3 View Post
how do you drive a car that feels like a bloated 550i properly? pretty much everyone outside this forum would agree that E46 is more raw and connected driving experience.
I really don't even know how to respond to this statement, but let's break it down.

550i and the E92 feel NOTHING like each other - not sure where you even got that idea from.

E46 and E92 are about the same weight, but the E92 has better suspension, steering (E46 has a SLOW rack, E92 has a quick and crisp one), engine, gearbox, chassis and just about everything else. By better, I mean more connected at a higher performance level which requires a more experienced driver to reach those limits vs the E46, who's limits are easier to reach which might indulge less experienced drivers.

A huge amount of people outside of this forum who blurt out statements like that haven't driven either car at the limit and are basing things off of regular street driving (which is irrelevant).

Again, the E46 is a pleasure to drive, I loved my seat time on track and canyon BUT the E92 is a step up in every aspect, it is more involving, quicker and more raw.
Appreciate 5
      02-08-2021, 04:51 PM   #12
PYE46M3
Captain
744
Rep
610
Posts

Drives: E46 M3, E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeA View Post
I really don't even know how to respond to this statement, but let's break it down.

550i and the E92 feel NOTHING like each other - not sure where you even got that idea from.

E46 and E92 are about the same weight, but the E92 has better suspension, steering (E46 has a SLOW rack, E92 has a quick and crisp one), engine, gearbox, chassis and just about everything else. By better, I mean more connected at a higher performance level which requires a more experienced driver to reach those limits vs the E46, who's limits are easier to reach which might indulge less experienced drivers.

A huge amount of people outside of this forum who blurt out statements like that haven't driven either car at the limit and are basing things off of regular street driving (which is irrelevant).

Again, the E46 is a pleasure to drive, I loved my seat time on track and canyon BUT the E92 is a step up in every aspect, it is more involving, quicker and more raw.
Thanks for your input. I own both and driven both at the limit. E46 is a razor and E92 is a butter knife.
__________________
2005 Phoenix Yellow E46 M3 6MT Coupe
2013 Interlagos Blue E92 M3 6MT ZCP
2007 Imola Red Z4 M Coupe
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2021, 04:54 PM   #13
PYE46M3
Captain
744
Rep
610
Posts

Drives: E46 M3, E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whack6 View Post
take it to a racetrack and wring the piss out of it, that's how. thanks again for your very on topic contributions to this thread lol.
hmmm you must have missed my on topic posts throughout this thread.
__________________
2005 Phoenix Yellow E46 M3 6MT Coupe
2013 Interlagos Blue E92 M3 6MT ZCP
2007 Imola Red Z4 M Coupe
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2021, 06:03 PM   #14
GeorgeA
Major
GeorgeA's Avatar
United_States
724
Rep
1,376
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PYE46M3 View Post
Thanks for your input. I own both and driven both at the limit. E46 is a razor and E92 is a butter knife.
You've driven the E92 at the limit and came to the conclusion that it feels like a 550i?

Yea, right.
Appreciate 2
      02-09-2021, 08:09 AM   #15
amrazM
mTekMods
amrazM's Avatar
United_States
1831
Rep
2,608
Posts

Drives: like a granny.
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Manhatan

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeA View Post
You've driven the E92 at the limit and came to the conclusion that it feels like a 550i?

Yea, right.
e9x m3 handles superior to the E46, there is literally science behind the suspension design showing it is superior.
__________________
2011 Frozen Black/Fox Red E90 M3 650+WHP

G-Power Supercharged
First DCT to Manual Conversion Worldwide
KW CS, BBS RI-A, BW Headers, Snow 2.5
Appreciate 1
GeorgeA724.00
      02-09-2021, 08:12 AM   #16
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Cyberdemon's Avatar
1517
Rep
3,309
Posts

Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Long Island NY

iTrader: (3)

Some people think cucumbers taste better pickled.
__________________
Current: '20 X5, '18 M3 ZCP
Previous: '11 E90 335i, '11 E90 M3, '16 VW GTI, '15 M235i, '13 335i, '08 TL-S, '00 Corvette
Appreciate 5
GeorgeA724.00
bake572.00
Mr Pete1298.50
chocstraw436.50
      02-09-2021, 09:17 AM   #17
PYE46M3
Captain
744
Rep
610
Posts

Drives: E46 M3, E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: CA

iTrader: (0)

Agree to disagree. Itís all good.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2021, 03:21 PM   #18
kyrix1st
Colonel
kyrix1st's Avatar
Japan
2151
Rep
2,134
Posts

Drives: M3 Euro,E92M3 MT&DCT,M4ZCP
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: global

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2004 BMW Z4  [0.00]
E46 felt slower than my E36 3.2 euro being 150kg heavier and similarly powered (343ps vs. 321ps).

E92 feels leaps better in every area except low end torque and fuel economy.

All comparing stock of course.
__________________
Pass me if you can.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2021, 09:31 PM   #19
14_deltaM3
Private First Class
113
Rep
109
Posts

Drives: e36m3 euro ó>e92m3
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrix1st View Post
E46 felt slower than my E36 3.2 euro being 150kg heavier and similarly powered (343ps vs. 321ps).

E92 feels leaps better in every area except low end torque and fuel economy.

All comparing stock of course.
My ranking of the e46 went down after having sampled a euro spec e36.

I truly donít really understand the widely held view that the e46 is this raw animal. Itís very refined and smooth and confident, much like the e92. The e36 feels lighter than even the figures demonstrate.
Appreciate 1
      02-11-2021, 01:03 PM   #20
Eja144
Second Lieutenant
Eja144's Avatar
United_States
297
Rep
297
Posts

Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Long Island, NY

iTrader: (0)

The E46 blind fanboy-ism has ruined the platform for me. Why did this guy even start this thread? Not getting laid enough and wanted attention? Lol
Appreciate 2
      02-11-2021, 02:46 PM   #21
PYE46M3
Captain
744
Rep
610
Posts

Drives: E46 M3, E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eja144 View Post
The E46 blind fanboy-ism has ruined the platform for me. Why did this guy even start this thread? Not getting laid enough and wanted attention? Lol
I didn't start the thread. it was a post I made in another thread and someone grabbed the post and made a new thread with it.


but you're right, 7+ years of E46 ownership is just blind fanboy-ism
__________________
2005 Phoenix Yellow E46 M3 6MT Coupe
2013 Interlagos Blue E92 M3 6MT ZCP
2007 Imola Red Z4 M Coupe
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2021, 05:54 PM   #22
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
SYT_Shadow's Avatar
United_States
10671
Rep
9,831
Posts

Drives: E90M/E92Mstroker/M4GTSx2/MiniS
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Greenwich, CT

iTrader: (2)

Both are great cars. I owned an E46M for 100k miles while I put 30k on my E92. Took both to the track, drove them side by side, etc.

I find that frequently you get comments about how raw an E46M is and how tame a E92 is from people who have an E46 modded to the moon and back.

My E46 was largely stock, as was my E92, and at the track the delta was the largest there has ever been in a BMW I've owned. A stock engined E92 is closer to my F80 CS than an E46 is to the E92.


Both are great cars and I'd be happy with either.
Appreciate 6
CSBM52464.00
kyrix1st2150.50
Bartledoo2656.50
slcook541785.00
DjMarkOne102.00
FMLYSDN1165.00
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:34 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST