BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

02-10-2010, 01:11 PM   #1
ONE92
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 DCT

Ess Dct&tune

I just wanted to post my opinion of ESS after having had the DCT and ECU tune. I have been religiously watching all of the threads on M3post, waiting for one company to really shine before I invested in their product. I have researched many companies, pretty much to the point where i was becoming very aware of the BS that goes on in this industry. I saw a post by Pencilgeek about all the problems he has had getting the tune that he was happy with after putting a stroker in his car. I than started to research ESS and could not find any dirt on them from the past, which led me to call Roman. I asked him about the DCT tune, which he was very honest about and full of information. I had the ECU and the DCT tune programmed to my M3 and am very satisfied with the results. Roman told me the lag would still be there so I was not expecting a complete fix of the DCT, I would say that it cuts it in half though. I do get a much firmer shift and the exhaust blips are instantaneous to my shifting. I also am able to power out of lag now which before if i accelerated to hard at a point of lag, the car would bounce around as though I did not know how to drive a manual. The ECU tune I can feel the torque at lower end RPM and the MPH definitely stack up faster all the way through the gears. I will definitely be getting the STII supercharger in the future and have to say in person it is a truly remarkable piece of kit. I see a lot of welding in my line of work (offshore construction) and the welding is top of the line. Roman took me for a ride and it was a whole different world, in the sense that we were doing about 80 and got a huge rear end kick out going from 2-3. I hope this is a benefit for anybody that is looking hard right now and is not sure who they want to go with, ESS offers quality that I don't feel is matched by many industries. Roman and AJ were very pleasant to do business with as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 02:16 PM   #2
10M3MAN
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Nissan Altima SER

Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 03:17 PM   #3
m33
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 VT650 MCB Individual

Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 03:23 PM   #4
Lemans_Blue_M
Automotive Industry Insider
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lemans Blue M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONE92 View Post
I just wanted to post my opinion of ESS after having had the DCT and ECU tune. I have been religiously watching all of the threads on M3post, waiting for one company to really shine before I invested in their product. I have researched many companies, pretty much to the point where i was becoming very aware of the BS that goes on in this industry. I saw a post by Pencilgeek about all the problems he has had getting the tune that he was happy with after putting a stroker in his car. I than started to research ESS and could not find any dirt on them from the past, which led me to call Roman. I asked him about the DCT tune, which he was very honest about and full of information. I had the ECU and the DCT tune programmed to my M3 and am very satisfied with the results. Roman told me the lag would still be there so I was not expecting a complete fix of the DCT, I would say that it cuts it in half though. I do get a much firmer shift and the exhaust blips are instantaneous to my shifting. I also am able to power out of lag now which before if i accelerated to hard at a point of lag, the car would bounce around as though I did not know how to drive a manual. The ECU tune I can feel the torque at lower end RPM and the MPH definitely stack up faster all the way through the gears. I will definitely be getting the STII supercharger in the future and have to say in person it is a truly remarkable piece of kit. I see a lot of welding in my line of work (offshore construction) and the welding is top of the line. Roman took me for a ride and it was a whole different world, in the sense that we were doing about 80 and got a huge rear end kick out going from 2-3. I hope this is a benefit for anybody that is looking hard right now and is not sure who they want to go with, ESS offers quality that I don't feel is matched by many industries. Roman and AJ were very pleasant to do business with as well.
      02-10-2010, 04:12 PM   #5
LV-E92M3
Lieutenant
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: Donkey

NICE!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 09:38 PM   #6
biglare
Bulldog
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW & Porsche

Glad you are happy with your Tune and DCT Software.

We'll have to meet up as I am in AZ too

GTS
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 09:42 PM   #7
LV-E92M3
Lieutenant
Afghanistan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglare View Post

+1.... I wish that I can hang out in AZ too... too far away...

AJ is a very knowledgeable person I never had problem with my DCT tune
Can't go wrong with ESS. I'm glad that you like your tune.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 02:20 AM   #8
Trier Germany
Banned
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: 2009 E-90 M3 space gray

That is some good info! I have also been lurking around reading differen't opinions on peoples tune. It looks like ESS will be getting my buisness very soon.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 10:42 AM   #9
ONE92
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:

That would be cool, as I really love this car and it would be great to hang out with others with the same passion. I will probably get STI supercharger in a couple months when I get back from work, would be great to see how the stages run against each other. I am going with STI first just for the fact that Roman said I could get STII at no additional install cost. They are really good guys, a pleasure to have around.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 10:49 AM   #10
ONE92
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trier Germany View Post
That is some good info! I have also been lurking around reading differen't opinions on peoples tune. It looks like ESS will be getting my buisness very soon.
I just want to say that I personally feel that would be the right decision. They have a solid name and everybody is happy with the product that they offer. Roman and AJ are great to work with and you are hearing this from somebody that has no benefits from swaying people one way or another. I have and will continue to pay full price for all ESS product, with the opinion that it is a deal anyways.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 04:14 PM   #11
xxe92xx
Banned
Rep
Drives: 08 M3

so is ess comparable to the powerchip tune...i havent seen many threads on just an ecu tune from ess
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 06:28 PM   #12
ONE92
Private
United_States
Rep

I have not had Powerchip

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxe92xx View Post
so is ess comparable to the powerchip tune...i havent seen many threads on just an ecu tune from ess
I can only say that ESS in my opinion has great customer service and product. I will not flame boy. I am very happy with the tuning I received and saw the 15hp and 20tq increase, as they claim. I can feel it as well as it shows, completely linear and all the way across the rpm range ( no dips in hp or tq). I am a satisfied customer and wanted to let people know. I have read some good things about Powerchip but have never experienced their tune.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 07:54 PM   #13
sales@ESSTuning
Rep
Drives: ESS M3 / M4

Quote:
I don't compare our products to other vendors but I can give you some background on our tuning. We have a long history of tuning BMW's as it has been our primary focus for 15 years. We have our own in house tuner who has worked for ESS for 13+ years. He develops all of our supercharger, Transmission and NA performance software. We have tuned thousands of BMW's all over the world.

ESS currently builds supercharger systems for more than 20 BMW models with several new models coming soon. All of these supercharger systems operate on the software our tuner designed from scratch. When you design supercharger software for a specific platform like the E9X M3 you have to have a very good working knowledge of the entire control system. This knowledge makes it very easy to tune NA motors, Stroker motors and custom files when needed. Knowing the entire control system inside and out also allows us to know what does and does not make power safely. With a lot of the newer BMW operating systems like the MSS60 you need to understand how making small changes in the factory files can cause negative effects such as limp modes, cold start issues, unsafe AFR's etc.. BMW also likes to release several different versions of software each with small changes from the next. Knowing how to identify these changes so you can modify the software to work properly with them is vital.

We tune our software to not only make additional power but to also improve how the car drives. Alot of effort goes into providing a complete tune from performance and driveability to reliability and safety. We take the same R&D and testing approach when developing NA files as we do with our supercharger files before we release them to the public.

Here is a list of the different BMW series we currently offer performance software for. We offer software for several models in some of these series including diesel. Because we operate out of Europe and the US we offer all of our software in both versions.

E8X 1-Series
E46 3-Series
E9X 3-Series
E34 5-Series
E39 5-Series
E60/61 5-Series
E63/64 6-Series
E38 7-Series
E65 7-Series
E83 X3-Series
E53 X5-Series
E70 X5-Series
E71 X6-Series
E85 Z4-Series
E89 Z4-Series

If anyone ever has questions on our software feel free to PM or email me
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 09:25 PM   #14
m33
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 VT650 MCB Individual

Damn man that's a seriouse list , all I can say is my M3 performs flawless , I'm not surprised to see all the different BMW's they offer tunes for !!
It's good to see a Solid company like ESS doing right by the BIMMER world by offering rock solid SuperChargers & tunes that our cars deserve !!

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 09:59 PM   #15
SpencerM3
Sauce
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 SSII E90 M3

ESS and Roman are top notch!
2009 E90 M3 | Silverstone II | Black Novillo | HRE P40's | Akrapovic Exhaust | Eibach Pro Kit | Jet Black Kidney Grilles | SSII Side Reflectors | SSII Side Gills | LUX H8 Angel Eyes | Macht Schnell Filter | Tecnocraft Envy Charge Pipe

"M3 drivers have no friends." - Jeremy Clarkson
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 10:25 PM   #16
xxe92xx
Banned
Rep
Drives: 08 M3

hmm...
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2010, 12:46 AM   #17
biglare
Bulldog
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW & Porsche

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerM3 View Post
ESS and Roman are top notch!
+1

I am considering a ESS tune on my 2006 4.8is X5 and possibly a S/C kit when it comes out soon!

GTS
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2010, 04:24 AM   #18
LV-E92M3
Lieutenant
Afghanistan
Rep

Quote:
+1

I am considering a ESS tune on my 2006 4.8is X5 and possibly a S/C kit when it comes out soon!
Damn another one? Roman doesn't say or compare with other companies, but he provides the result. ESS software works really well with my sc kit never ever disappointed
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2010, 12:31 PM   #19
ONE92
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Oh and by the way
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2010, 12:39 PM   #20
PunjabiM3
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 CS

Quote:

Hey I will be moving to Arizona soon as well. Would love to meet some of the local members and put together a meet if possible. I am driving the M3 down March 17-22; taking a 5 day road trip down the Pacific coast from Seattle to AZ.

And to the OP, glad you are satisfied with ESS. I am thinking of getting a tune and am leaning towards ESS since they do seem to have their act together, offer what imho is the best SC kit for the M3 at this time, and will be local to me in AZ once I move down!
2024 718 GT4 RS | Arctic Grey
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2010, 07:23 PM   #21
ONE92
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PunjabiM3 View Post
Hey I will be moving to Arizona soon as well. Would love to meet some of the local members and put together a meet if possible. I am driving the M3 down March 17-22; taking a 5 day road trip down the Pacific coast from Seattle to AZ.

And to the OP, glad you are satisfied with ESS. I am thinking of getting a tune and am leaning towards ESS since they do seem to have their act together, offer what imho is the best SC kit for the M3 at this time, and will be local to me in AZ once I move down!
Yes, they do have their act together. I am very pleased with my tune, it got even better as I drove the car more. I really do believe that all my research paid off in the end. I wanted to get a supercharger all along and thought a tune would help me find out if ESS was going to be who I used. I have already told Roman that he will be the first person I am getting in touch with when I get back from work. I am a very happy customer and ESS deserves all the praise they get. Like I said before I am down to meet up with anybody that wants to discuss this car, that is the reason I come on this site.
Appreciate 0