BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

08-10-2020, 09:37 AM   #23
Senpai
Major
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappas Fritas View Post
The Akrapovic X-Pipe is smaller diameter than the oem piping, so much so that I believe it can fit inside the OEM piping. May be a really snug fit though. I'm not sure though, I'm basing this off the way the RKP adapters are slipped on/installed in that attachment I sent earlier.
Yeah the RKP adapters looks to fit snug so just barely any wiggle room which I'd assume gives the best seal and no risk of an exhaust leak. I haven't measured the stock ball flange's I.D. but that's also because i didn't want to chop my x pipe up. Maybe if I found a trashed one near me I would haha.

The adapters I ordered off amazon should be showing up today. They are a 2.5" I.D. so it should slip on very freely (60mm O.D. off akra and 63mm I.D. for adapter piece). I'll try clamping it down with some band clamps and see if it'll move at all or creates a decent seal.

Otherwise I have spoken to Bomiz and they might have a solution since they the ball flange that comes off their x pipe fits the oem rear connection since the ball is thick enough.

Looks like we might finally be figuring something out all this time
      08-10-2020, 11:03 AM   #24
nsogiba
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 6MT Interlagos

Curious to see if those adapters can mimic the OEM rear section (female ball flange).

Let us know and take pics!

2009 E92 M3 | 6MT | Interlagos Blue
Progress Thread

2016 F15 X5 35i | 8AT | Sophisto Grey
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 05:19 AM   #25
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a granny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomiz View Post
I don't think the taper is aggressive enough to not slide through. I'll measure it for you
you should hit up your aliexpress business agents and have them make us something

G-Power Supercharged
First DCT to Manual Conversion Worldwide
KW CS, BBS RI-A, BW Headers, Snow 2.5
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2020, 07:13 AM   #26
nsogiba
Second Lieutenant
Rep

All, I recently picked up a used OEM axle back that had been chopped up at some point in its life- the female ends had been cut off. I was able to find a set of male/female ball and socket flanges that fit the OEM exhaust perfectly. Not sure if this is any help to the Akrapovic crowd, but in case anyone needs to rescue a stock x-pipe/axleback, these are a great option. They even come with clamps that are identical to the OEM BMW clamps. I'll get some pictures up comparing these to the OEM parts soon.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-672325

Progress Thread

Appreciate 1
Senpai481.50
      08-25-2020, 07:46 AM   #27
Senpai
Major
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsogiba View Post
All, I recently picked up a used OEM axle back that had been chopped up at some point in its life- the female ends had been cut off. I was able to find a set of male/female ball and socket flanges that fit the OEM exhaust perfectly. Not sure if this is any help to the Akrapovic crowd, but in case anyone needs to rescue a stock x-pipe/axleback, these are a great option. They even come with clamps that are identical to the OEM BMW clamps. I'll get some pictures up comparing these to the OEM parts soon.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-672325
Thanks for heads up! I bought one of the walker male end flanges and it seems the taper is a bit aggressive to slide over the akra x pipe. I test fitted one without cutting the length down and once it got to the taper there was quite a bit of resistance. I didn't continue to hammer it down to avoid damaging the x pipe. It looks like the summit flange kit also has the same taper which leads me to believe it'll also be a tight fit.

Worst case scenario I heard someone chopped the ends off of their stock x pipe and used that as an adapter for the akra. If I don't hear back from bomiz this will probably be the route I go since I already have a spare x pipe with test pipes.
      08-25-2020, 07:50 AM   #28
nsogiba
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senpai View Post
Thanks for heads up! I bought one of the walker male end flanges and it seems the taper is a bit aggressive to slide over the akra x pipe. I test fitted one without cutting the length down and once it got to the taper there was quite a bit of resistance. I didn't continue to hammer it down to avoid damaging the x pipe. It looks like the summit flange kit also has the same taper which leads me to believe it'll also be a tight fit.

Worst case scenario I heard someone chopped the ends off of their stock x pipe and used that as an adapter for the akra. If I don't hear back from bomiz this will probably be the route I go since I already have a spare x pipe with test pipes.
Like I mentioned, the male flange in the link I posted is a direct replacement for the OEM x-pipe. Might be easier than hacking up a perfectly good x-pipe.

Similarly, I placed the Summit female flange against the OEM female flange on my stock axleback and they match perfectly.

Can you post some pics of your issue?

Progress Thread

Appreciate 1
Senpai481.50
      08-25-2020, 10:33 AM   #29
EMKOOP
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Thanks for your detective work Senpai it will be invaluable for others on the forum for years to come. Kudos to you.
      08-26-2020, 08:42 AM   #30
Senpai
Major
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsogiba View Post
Like I mentioned, the male flange in the link I posted is a direct replacement for the OEM x-pipe. Might be easier than hacking up a perfectly good x-pipe.

Similarly, I placed the Summit female flange against the OEM female flange on my stock axleback and they match perfectly.

Can you post some pics of your issue?
I'll grab some pictures tonight! The issue isn't with the male flange to oem rear but slipping the pipe over the akra x pipe. I still need to cut the adapter down to size but haven't had the time to work on it recently. Maybe next weekend i'll be able to mess around with a few things to see if it works out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMKOOP View Post
Thanks for your detective work Senpai it will be invaluable for others on the forum for years to come. Kudos to you.
No problem! I'm surprised no one decided to tackle this sooner on account of how many people ask to separate the x pipe from the rear on almost every akra evo for sale post
      08-31-2020, 08:32 AM   #31
Camnyc
wannabe
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI M3

You can take the adaptor to a local exhaust shop and have them expand it a tiny bit, to open up the “taper”.
Appreciate 1
Senpai481.50
      09-06-2020, 11:52 AM   #32
Senpai
Major
Hong Kong
Rep

Tl;dr good news, adapters work.

The walker 2.5" adapters I bought didn't quite work but Camnyc's idea to have them expanded the would probably work but didn't have the time since I already had the exhaust dropped on my friends lift. Went and filed down some material and it is a super tight fit but couldn't file down it even enough to have it slide over without resistance. I didn't want to chance damaging the x pipe so I didn't go any further. If anyone wants to tackle this I'm sure having it expanded would work.

I wound up cutting the flange off the stock x pipe and it fits pretty well. The ID of the stock flange is slightly larger at 62mm than the OD of the akra which is right around 60mm. You can feel a slight exhaust leak from the flange after clamping it down but it's not more than my bimmerworld x pipe slip joint by the forward x. The sound of the leak is virtually non-existent, it's way less noticable than the leak I had with the bimmerworld slip joints. I'll be updating Op with pictures once I get the car back on the lift next weekend. I was in a time crunch this weekend so wasn't able to get all the pics I needed.
Appreciate 1
      04-30-2021, 04:14 PM   #33
Senpai
Major
Hong Kong
Rep

BUMP! Updated the OP with new info! Drop me a PM or post here if you'd be interested in a set of the adapters!
      06-14-2021, 02:11 PM   #34
wahooooman
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Atlantis M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senpai View Post
BUMP! Updated the OP with new info! Drop me a PM or post here if you'd be interested in a set of the adapters!
i would def be interested in some adaptors trying to fit a cat back to the akra testpipe xpipe setup i have
      06-21-2021, 09:29 AM   #35
Senpai
Major
Hong Kong
Rep

***UPDATE 6/21/21***

Hey guys sorry for the lack of updates! Been busy with work as well as tracking the car so haven't really been on top of this. I've been working on this at a snail's pace since I first brought up the topic last year. Thank you everyone who reached out, I am getting a small run of these so for anyone who reached out. I have replied back to a few PM's but had to clear out a few due to no more inbox space. If anyone is still interested drop me a PM and I'll get you squared away. As of now I believe there are still 3 sets up for grabs 2 have been accounted for already.

As for design we just went forward with a single piece design as shown in my other pictures. I've had mine on for a while already and I'm happy to report there are no leaks! I've had to be under my car to tech for the track and while I was there I always double checked the connection and there's no seizing or exhaust leaks.

Last edited by Senpai; 06-21-2021 at 10:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2021, 08:31 AM   #36
Senpai
Major
Hong Kong
Rep

Welp! Finally going to have these in hand this week. If anyone is still interested I can start shipping them out Monday.
      08-31-2021, 12:21 PM   #37
Senpai
Major
Hong Kong
Rep

Well after a long time I finally made a post in the classifieds section. Updated the OP as well with some info.
      03-02-2022, 09:13 PM   #38
Jerezblack.m3
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 M3

Are you still selling some?
Appreciate 1
Senpai481.50
      03-02-2022, 10:27 PM   #39
Senpai
Major
Hong Kong