BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

02-26-2020, 02:39 PM   #1
V8Juice
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E92 M3

Looking to buy M3

Hey all,

New to the forum, been lurking for quite some time and am finally looking to purchase an M3. So my only wants are Competition Pkg and Sedan, which leaves me with only 1 MY option. 2011. I have found a few that look to meet my requirements just want some opinions from the Vets and possibly current or past owners of these vehicles. https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...1267/overview/ https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...9759/overview/

Let me know what you guys think. I'm all ears to opinions and suggestions.
Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2020, 08:45 PM   #2
neilum
Captain
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4

Well I'll say you have good taste and, also extremely rare taste. They are not many E90 ZCP's produced, in fact there was exactly 1,220 of them ever made for the US market.

How many examples of the E90 M3 sedan and E92 M3 coupe were produced with the optional Competition Package (ZCP)?
PM91 (ECE-spec M3 sedan, LHD, with ZCP): 165
PM92 (ECE-spec M3 sedan, RHD, with ZCP): 116
PM93 (NA-spec M3 sedan, LHD, with ZCP): 1,220
KG91 (ECE-spec M3 coupe, LHD, with ZCP): 1,987
KG92 (ECE-spec M3 coupe, RHD, with ZCP): 1,570
KG93 (NA-spec M3 coupe, LHD, with ZCP): 5,870

https://bmwmregistry.com/model_faq.php?id=50#2

I am also so tired of people writing about oil analysis done in regards to rod bearing health, it really means nothing (specifically the note in the first ad above). If RB's weren't done they need to be. At least the TA's were though so that's a minor plus.

They both look to be priced right but the first one with black wheels on a black car is a huge nope from me so that would have to be negotiated because I would want the stock 359's back on the car the way it should be and they aren't cheap.

Last edited by neilum; 02-26-2020 at 08:50 PM..
Appreciate 1
Space Fox1042.00
      02-27-2020, 10:05 AM   #3
V8Juice
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilum View Post
Well I'll say you have good taste and, also extremely rare taste. They are not many E90 ZCP's produced, in fact there was exactly 1,220 of them ever made for the US market.

How many examples of the E90 M3 sedan and E92 M3 coupe were produced with the optional Competition Package (ZCP)?
PM91 (ECE-spec M3 sedan, LHD, with ZCP): 165
PM92 (ECE-spec M3 sedan, RHD, with ZCP): 116
PM93 (NA-spec M3 sedan, LHD, with ZCP): 1,220
KG91 (ECE-spec M3 coupe, LHD, with ZCP): 1,987
KG92 (ECE-spec M3 coupe, RHD, with ZCP): 1,570
KG93 (NA-spec M3 coupe, LHD, with ZCP): 5,870

https://bmwmregistry.com/model_faq.php?id=50#2

I am also so tired of people writing about oil analysis done in regards to rod bearing health, it really means nothing (specifically the note in the first ad above). If RB's weren't done they need to be. At least the TA's were though so that's a minor plus.

They both look to be priced right but the first one with black wheels on a black car is a huge nope from me so that would have to be negotiated because I would want the stock 359's back on the car the way it should be and they aren't cheap.
Thanks for the info on how many were made I never knew it was so little! Of course I had to go and fall in love with the rarest one at that. So even though the first one had TA replaced, because it doesn't have OEM 359's its not worth it?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 12:03 PM   #4
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8Juice View Post
Hey all,

New to the forum, been lurking for quite some time and am finally looking to purchase an M3. So my only wants are Competition Pkg and Sedan, which leaves me with only 1 MY option. 2011. I have found a few that look to meet my requirements just want some opinions from the Vets and possibly current or past owners of these vehicles. https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/800941267/overview/ https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/803829759/overview/

Let me know what you guys think. I'm all ears to opinions and suggestions.
Thanks in advance
Honestly, I think a non competition on good coil overs is going up be a better car, so if you can't find a ZCP car you want, consider that.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 12:52 PM   #5
V8Juice
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Honestly, I think a non competition on good coil overs is going up be a better car, so if you can't find a ZCP car you want, consider that.
And just go with one that has EDC right? One of the reasons I want ZCP is because of value and rareness, that will help when I go to sell it
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 01:01 PM   #6
spiderspider
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 DCT, 991 C4S, E46 330i

I'd prefer a slicktop, but that's just me.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 01:03 PM   #7
V8Juice
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderspider View Post
I'd prefer a slicktop, but that's just me.
Meaning no moon/sunroof right? If thats the case i would to but that is a rare find
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 02:35 PM   #8
mrspecter
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I researched and lurked about 4 months before buying my M3 and all I have to say is be ready and have your finances in order because what you are looking for is definitely pretty rare and nicer examples are starting to disappear, so be ready to pull the trigger at any moment otherwise you may have to wait a while before another decent example appears.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 02:40 PM   #9
SLC Steve
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP E90

Here is the advice I will give as the owner of a ZCP Sedan (just ticked over 3 years in ownership).
  • Buy the nicest one you can afford.
  • Buy the one with the lowest miles and best service history.
  • Pick your top most three important things it needs to have (certain color/mileage/mods v stock) and then realize that you will only get two of those three important things
  • DO NOT SETTLE for one that was driven where the roads were salted and the thing was blasted through the winter.
  • RE: Rod bearings and all; by this stage the cars are creeping up in miles. They need to get done. Plan on getting the bearings replaced if they have not already been done. Plan on doing the engine mounts at the same time. This will be ~$2500-3000. Then it will be done and you won't have to think about it for ten years/100K miles again.
  • Replace the TBAs if they die. Replace the ignition coil pack if it dies.

If you expect to get a top example then be prepared to pay top prices. If you are not shopping for a top example or do not want to spend that much then do not be surprised with the maintenance that will be required within 6 months of purchase. Don't be surprised at the asking price some people have. It would take forty grand for me to even consider parting with my car at this point and even then I don't think I would do it because there is no car I would want to replace it with for 40 grand. Look at this car: https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1694206 and accept that there are probably few cars out there this clean and none of them are for sale.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 03:19 PM   #10
neilum
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the info on how many were made I never knew it was so little! Of course I had to go and fall in love with the rarest one at that. So even though the first one had TA replaced, because it doesn't have OEM 359's its not worth it?
Could be a good deal if the PPI and service history check out. I personally just like the 359 wheels and aren't interested in aftermarket wheels.

You could take the car, and sell the wheels on there and put that cash towards a new set of real comp wheels... I would definitely inquire about the rod bearings either way though that needs to be done imo

Totally up to you though, and what you like.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 03:50 PM   #11
spiderspider
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 DCT, 991 C4S, E46 330i

they could be oem GTS wheels. might ask.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 04:05 PM   #12
V8Juice
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks for all the info and insight guys i appreciate it. I definitely want an E90 with ZCP, preferably under 60k mileage. Color isn't really that much of a concern because id wrap it eventually. I would prefer the heated and power seats but if it doesn't have it not a big deal. i'd say i'm comfortable around the $35k range. Would be nice to have RB or TA already done but if it isn't no big deal. I think im being pretty reasonable, worst case scenario I give up on ZCP
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 04:56 PM   #13
wyatth
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 ZCP

You’re being reasonable. Just check the classifieds here and most FS sites every few days and be ready to move when something good comes up. You’re being flexible enough on specs and realistic on price/miles that this won’t be a unicorn hunt. But, do patient and diligent!
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 06:54 PM   #14
V8Juice
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyatth View Post
You’re being reasonable. Just check the classifieds here and most FS sites every few days and be ready to move when something good comes up. You’re being flexible enough on specs and realistic on price/miles that this won’t be a unicorn hunt. But, do patient and diligent!
I definitely have patience haha I waited a year or so before pulling the trigger on my Lexus IS F. There is one thing im not sure of and its the audio. Is it harmon kardon like on the 3 series or just some "premium" audio system?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2020, 08:46 PM   #15
neilum
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I definitely have patience haha I waited a year or so before pulling the trigger on my Lexus IS F. There is one thing im not sure of and its the audio. Is it harmon kardon like on the 3 series or just some "premium" audio system?
I have the premium sound. It's really very very good for a stock OEM system. Great mid range tons of depth to it. It lacks high end bass though as a negative.

You can spot the premium audio by the aluminum trim around the speakers on the doors.

And it's worth the wait to get a car this well sorted and purrdy -

Appreciate 1
br2wdc271.00
      02-28-2020, 09:46 AM   #16
V8Juice
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilum View Post
I have the premium sound. It's really very very good for a stock OEM system. Great mid range tons of depth to it. It lacks high end bass though as a negative.

You can spot the premium audio by the aluminum trim around the speakers on the doors.

And it's worth the wait to get a car this well sorted and purrdy -

Your car is super clean! You're also not that from me only a few hundred miles haha
Appreciate 0