BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

01-07-2020, 03:12 PM   #1
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Antigravity "Drop-in" Lifepo4 Lithium Batteries for BMW - Save 43lbs!

Antigravity Lifepo4 Lithium Batteries

While widely known for their MicroStart Jump Starter accessories, Antigravity Batteries has changed the game again with their latest Lithium-Ion Car Batteries. The newest RE-START line of batteries offers built-in WIRELESS Remote-activated Jump-Starting, plus a full Battery Management System (BMS) for the safest, longest cycle life possible. They come in exact-fit OEM sizes for most all modern Performance and Passenger Cars/Trucks. We are the First Lithium-Ion Battery company to offer the most popular BCI Sizes including H5/Group-47, H6/Group-48, H7/Group-94R, Group-35 and others. If you need a more compact battery that will be best for Race or performance car applications, see the RS-30 or ATX30-RS. They also feature a full BMS and RE-START technology. All Antigravity Automotive Batteries offer much higher power and are ultra lightweight compared to the lead/acid and AGM batteries they replace.

Specs
- H6/Group 48 OEM Automotive Case size (directly replace stock battery).
- LxWxH: 10.75 x 7 x 7.5 inches.
- Amp Hour Options: 24 Ah, 30 Ah, 40 Ah, or 60 Ah
- High Power: 24Ah=1000CA, 30Ah=1200CA, 40Ah=1500CA, 60Ah=1800 Cranking Amps
- Exclusive RE-START Technology
- Complete Battery Management System built-in
- Ultra Lightweight: Drop up to 43 lbs instantly over OEM BMW battery!
- Safest Battery Technology using full BMS and Lifepo4 Lithium chemistry

H6/Group-48 Battery
NEW! Lightweight Lithium Car Batteries with Wireless Remote Built-In Jump Starting! The first Intelligent Lithium-Ion Automotive Battery that won’t leave you stranded.

Antigravity Batteries has changed the game again with their latest Lithium-Ion Car Batteries. The newest RE-START line of batteries offers built-in WIRELESS Jump-Starting! That means if your battery is ever discharged, simply press the Button on our provided Keyfob, start the car and drive away! No need for a Jump-Starter, or Roadside Assistance. You don’t even have to open the hood of car to access the battery, and can do it from the safety of sitting in your car!

RE-START TECHNOLOGY: BUILT-IN JUMP-STARTING
AG's amazing RE-START Technology is the first battery ever to offer Wireless Remote-activated built-in Jump Starting. (Can also be activated manually by pressing Restart button on top of battery.) So it won’t allow you to get stranded with a dead battery! For example if you left your lights on, the intelligent Battery Management System (BMS) in each RE-START battery would put itself to sleep before being drained dead, yet save just enough energy to start your vehicle again and get you out of that emergency. And with our WIRELESS REMOTE KEYFOB you can activate the Jump-Starting without ever opening the hood of the car. Simply press the Keyfob Button, start your car and drive away.

FULL BATTERY MANAGEMENT: BUILT-IN BMS FOR SAFETY AND LONG LIFE
The Antigravity Batteries RE-START system offers the latest technology for the safest, longest life cycle possible. Our superior on-board Battery Management System (BMS) offers Safety Circuitry to prevent Over-Discharge and Over-Charge, and has Short-Circuit protections, while additionally offering Cell Balancing and Thermal protections. These advanced features of our BMS make the battery not only as safe as possible, but also extend the life of the battery by keeping the battery in the prime operating zone and not allowing damage to the battery. Therefore creating the longest possible Life Cycle. From 7-9 years are expected from the Antigravity RE-START Batteries depending on use and climate.

EXACT DROP-IN FITMENT: EXACT FIT FOR MOST VEHICLES
The Antigravity Batteries RE-START Automotive Batteries come in EXACT FIT OEM sizes for most all Performance and Passenger Cars/Trucks. We are the First Lithium-Ion Battery company to offer the most popular BCI sizes including H5/Group 47, H6/Group 48, H7/Group 94R, Group 35 and others. These sizes are standard sizes in most all European and American Cars and Trucks. So whether you have a Porsche, Lamborghini, GTR, Mustang, Camaro, Corvette, Viper, BMW, Audi, Subaru or other Performance Car, we have a model that can fit. But keep in mind Lithium isn’t only for Performance Cars; it works great in passenger cars too! (Please check our Car Battery Fitment page for details).

PERFORMANCE BENEFITS
Weight: The ultralight Antigravity RE-START Batteries weigh from 8.5 lbs to 16 lbs (4-7 Kg) depending on the model. On average this equates to a weight loss from 35- 60 lbs (16-27 Kg) over a typical Lead/Acid Battery! The incredible weight savings will increase your vehicle’s performance in several key areas such as handling, allowing shorter braking distances, improved acceleration and even better gas mileage. Additionally, our Lithium-Ion battery is by far the most economical weight loss product on the market! A 30 lbs weight reduction in Carbon Fiber or Titanium would cost over $50,000 dollars compared to roughly $700-$800 dollars for our Battery.
Power: The high cranking power of the Antigravity Lithium-Ion Battery can start Motors up to 900 Horsepower easily! Additionally for even more weight loss you can go with a smaller Amp Hour Battery if you want the lightest weight possible. Power will rarely be an issue being our small batteries will easily turn over Hi-Performance Motors up to 600 Horsepower!

AMP HOUR / CAPACITY OPTIONS
At Antigravity Batteries we realize users have different applications. So they offer different Amp Hour Capacities in the same Case Size. For example the H6 Case Size is used in the Porsche 911 Series of Cars, but is also used in some SUVs. So a higher Amp Hour Capacity Battery will be desirable in an SUV, but the Porsche owner might want to lose as much weight as possible for Track use, so we have a 24 Ah H6 Size battery that saves another 10lbs and benefits the Porsche Owner. So you can choose the option that suits your application the best. We have most models available in 24Ah, 30Ah, 40Ah and 60Ah.

H6/GROUP 48
Models Available in 24Ah, 30Ah, 40Ah, 60Ah - but Cranking Performance better than a 90Ah Lead Battery

FEATURES & BENEFITS
- First Battery with WIRELESS Built-In Jump-Starting! Wireless Keyfob Remote actuated Emergency Jump Starting. So you won't be stranded by a dead battery ever again!
- FULL Battery Management System (BMS) including Over-Discharge, Over-Charge, Short Circuit, Thermal Protections and Cell Balancing.
- RE-START TECHNOLOGY: The RE-START Battery has self-restarting capabilities. It intelligently monitors its status and if it senses over-discharge it will put itself into a sleep mode, yet saves enough energy to allow you to RE-START your vehicle. Simply press the wireless keyfob or activation button on the battery.
- OEM FITMENT: Exact Lead/Acid Replacement sizes. No additional modifications or trays necessary to install.
- LONGER LIFE: 2x to 3x the lifecycle of lead/acid and other Lithium batteries due to full Battery Management system.
- HIGH POWER: Up to 3x the Cranking Amps of similar sized lead/acid battery. Better Starting and higher voltage at start-up.
- ULTRA LIGHTWEIGHT: The Antigravity RE-START Battery can be as much as 70% lighter than the Lead/Acid equivalent. This equates to roughly 40lb or more lbs of instant weight-loss just by changing out the battery! That makes the Antigravity Lithium-Ion Battery the most cost-effective weight-loss product hands-down, while offering better starting, handling and braking! A real performance value!
- LOW SELF-DISCHARGE: The RE-START Battery does not self-discharge like Lead/Acid Batteries. It offers a longer storage time provided there are not excessive parasitic drains on the battery.
- DURABILITY AND CAR SAFE: Much more resilient to vibration than Lead/Acid. Incredibly shock and vibration resistant; no liquids or acid inside to spill or drain out. Will not release dangerous Hydrogen while Charging and will not leak liquids that are damaging to your finish or chassis such as acid.
- ENVIRONMENTALLY SAFER BATTERY: No Acid or Heavy Metals such as Lead, Cadmium, or Mercury. Always remember to Recycle your batteries responsibly!

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM

Last edited by tom @ eas; 01-07-2020 at 03:18 PM..
Appreciate 1
meko177.00
      01-07-2020, 03:12 PM   #2
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Antigravity Lifepo4 Lithium Battery installation

We've been testing this battery type since last year on a daily driver/weekend warrior M3 with no absolutely no voltage issues or starting.

The Antigravity batteries come ready to install, no additional parts are needed. In this install, we used the H6-40-RS as it closely matches the OEM battery specs while shedding 43lbs of weight over the stock battery which comes in at . Its size allows the use of the factory battery hold down cleat without the use of battery adapters or trays.

Only tool needed is a 10mm socket.

After installation is completed, the battery needs to be registered like OEM AGM types either through ISTA, Bimmerlink, or BMW independent shop. For the H6-40-RS, choose 40aH AGM setting.

If you have any questions, please ask in the thread or PM.

Last edited by tom @ eas; 09-09-2021 at 01:09 PM..
Appreciate 3
//steve\\1074.00
GotV8?1050.50
M43S7RO502.00
      01-07-2020, 03:32 PM   #3
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

I like it! But won’t be buying an $800 battery any time soon.
Appreciate 2
slcook541863.00
GotV8?1050.50
      01-07-2020, 08:59 PM   #4
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

That EOM battery is a BIOTCH to get out of that well.
Why are these auto Li Batteries still so expensive??
Great looking product.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 08:09 AM   #5
//steve\\
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Next time I need a battery this is on my list!

You just simply can't replace that much weight for anywhere close to that cost and I'm a firm believer that all the chunks of 15, 20, 30lbs you can take out of the car slowly add up over time.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 08:36 AM   #6
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Any evidence that this will last 2X longer than stock AGM?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 08:57 AM   #7
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
I have been daily driving my car with a Voltphreaks in it since June of 2016. None of my OEM AGM batteries came close to lasting that long (The car went through 3 oem batteries in 7.5 years - the factory one was replaced right after I got it because it was sitting on a lot for a while, one more under warranty right before the warranty ran out, then I did the Voltphreaks after I got a deal on one secondhand)

I don't even bother with the tender anymore when the car sits for long periods during the winter. I used a tender with the oem batteries and they still crapped out quickly.

If you don't routinely park outside in sub-30f temperatures (performance starts to fall off a cliff especially if it soaks to that temperature overnight), this is a fantastic option at basically half-price of the Voltphreaks which was, at the time, about $1200 new and the only show in town for a battery with the kind of BMS and "restart" features this one has. I drive the car all winter long, I just park it in my ~40f garage at night and it fires right up, and wherever I go during the day isn't enough time for it to cold-soak. It will still start in sub-20f temperatures, after sitting for long periods, it's just not happy, at all, about it. I can't say the car was particularly happy to start in cold weather with an OEM battery either though, but it always did

This isn't quite as light as the "Big" voltphreaks batteries (mine was one of the biggest at the time, and weighs just ove r7lb) but the compatibility with the pyro/cutoff module and easy of swap is a big, big upside. My battery mount doesn't look near as well-integrated into the install as it does in those pictures

Last edited by Richbot; 01-08-2020 at 10:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 09:55 AM   #8
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

I have started in -20F when the car has been outside for the day or overnight. Li is probably not a good choice for me.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 10:18 AM   #9
Richbot
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
I have started in -20F when the car has been outside for the day or overnight. Li is probably not a good choice for me.
Yep. At those temps the chemistry just isn't favorable especially for charging - you can get around it with a battery heating blanket but it's not worth thec omplication IMO when an AGM battery can still puke out half of its cranking amps at sub-zero temperatures, and be charged right away

Last edited by Richbot; 01-08-2020 at 10:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 12:17 PM   #10
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
There are lots of manufacturers that make lots of claims, and we get contacted almost daily asking to sell the next latest and greatest thing. However, we've been working with Antigravity since early last year testing & logging different applications before even considering selling to the public - as we're the ones making the recommendations and providing support if needed. All our street vehicles and now race applications run Antigravity, as platforms are tested and verified with real-world experience. The Antigravity line is very popular on the Porsche end, and it's time BMW owners get a chance to experience the same.

Quote:
Antigravity has an integrated partition (call RE-START) that has its own booster pack within the battery. If for any reason the battery is dead (parasitic draw or otherwise) simply press the button on the included wireless remote (or integrated button on the battery) to start the vehicle.

We've been using the Antigravity XP-10 Jump Packs for years in the shop, these things will boost anything from BMWs to diesel trucks. I keep one in each of my vehicles for emergencies or just to use as a power bank. Anyone that's had one of these will attest to how handy these things are, and that same technology has been integrated into their battery line.

Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 01:14 PM   #11
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep

I like the built in jumper but doesn’t it have the same low temp problem as the rest of the battery system? In other words, it’s not going to help me in -20F. Unless there is a preheat feature like you find on the better Li jump packs. If I was in California like you guys, I would have no problem with a Li battery or a smaller AGM battery like an H5 or H6.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 01:19 PM   #12
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
I like the built in jumper but doesn’t it have the same low temp problem as the rest of the battery system? In other words, it’s not going to help me in -20F. Unless there is a preheat feature like you find on the better Li jump packs. If I was in California like you guys, I would have no problem with a Li battery or a smaller AGM battery like an H5 or H6.
Thankfully, we'll never see those temps in CA.

Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 01:21 PM   #13
Ximian
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
Wouldn't a LI battery maintainer help keep the battery warm as it charges? If it's going to be below -10F, everything is going on a CTEK (MUS 4.3 Polar) maintainer at my house.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 09:05 AM   #14
Richbot
Major General
Rep

Internal resistance will cause some heating during charging, but there are also some problems with charging a Lifepo cell below about 0F that might not be overcome by the heat input from trickle charging.

My voltphreaks has a similar low voltage cutoff and restart mechanism with a button you push on the battery top to get it to restart if it cuts itself off, I've only used it once when I left all the accessories on too long in cold (23f) weather, stupidly didn't just start it immediately after parking it outside all night, and the car still started. So that's a really nice feature.
      01-09-2020, 02:27 PM   #15
dzid_
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 135i 2011 DCT

They pretty much skipped low tempreture subject on their website.

On short trips, it may never have a chance to charge and there will be also no way to charge it in a cold garage if it's BMS has a low temperature charging protection, as it should.

If SoC is high, however, the cranking attempts / repeats could heat it up though, so on really short trips you may actually start seeing it charging.

In practice, it may only be a problem in really cold climates. But as I mentioned in another post, we are starting to see cheaper options. (Yeah, I know, it is likely to be "Chinese crap".)

Last edited by dzid_; 01-09-2020 at 02:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 02:33 PM   #16
turbo_joe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 Coupe

Which battery is recommended for the e92 M3?
      01-09-2020, 03:15 PM   #17
kevin @ eas
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2015 BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_joe View Post
Which battery is recommended for the e92 M3?
The e9x has hold down locations for both H6 or H7 batteries. Both of those sizes will work. The bigger H7 size will allow for higher AH but slightly heavier.

Appreciate 1
turbo_joe1608.00
      01-09-2020, 03:50 PM   #18
SupraSaiyan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 6MT Stripper AW/Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin @ eas View Post
The e9x has hold down locations for both H6 or H7 batteries. Both of those sizes will work. The bigger H7 size will allow for higher AH but slightly heavier.
Actually no, the AH are the same in either size; only the dimensions and weight differ. Go for the H6 for slightly lower weight and same price.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 03:51 PM   #19
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzid_ View Post
They pretty much skipped low tempreture subject on their website.

On short trips, it may never have a chance to charge and there will be also no way to charge it in a cold garage if it's BMS has a low temperature charging protection, as it should.

If SoC is high, however, the cranking attempts / repeats could heat it up though, so on really short trips you may actually start seeing it charging.

In practice, it may only be a problem in really cold climates. But as I mentioned in another post, we are starting to see cheaper options. (Yeah, I know, it is likely to be "Chinese crap".)
Freezing weather isn't the target audience for these. I daily a i3S and see the see the difference in overall range from summer vs winter months, even in CA. It's only temporary, and things back to normal once it warms back up. Those seeing extreme temperatures should probably switch back to the original AGM during winter months or not upgrade at all. Taking +40lbs out of a car with no degradation in performance is a pretty significant win, and comes at a much lower lb/$ price than other methods, such as wheels, seats or in even in extreme cases such even deleting a sunroof.

I would not even go near the alibaba offerings, as there is absolutely zero accountability for failures or build quality. Cheapest price doesn't necessarily mean the best deal in all cases.

Last edited by tom @ eas; 01-09-2020 at 06:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2020, 03:59 PM   #20
kevin @ eas
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2015 BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupraSaiyan View Post
Actually no, the AH are the same in either size; only the dimensions and weight differ. Go for the H6 for slightly lower weight and same price.
H7 allows for a 60 Amp hour option which the listed weight is 18.5lb, H6 60AH is 18.15lbs so its hair lighter. The H6 40 and the H7 40 is pretty much identical weight and price.

Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 10:17 AM   #21
SupraSaiyan
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin @ eas View Post
H7 allows for a 60 Amp hour option which the listed weight is 18.5lb, H6 60AH is 18.15lbs so its hair lighter. The H6 40 and the H7 40 is pretty much identical weight and price.
Yeah but you said the H7 will allow for higher AH which was incorrect. Both sizes are available in the same AH.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2020, 11:09 AM   #22
SupraSaiyan
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4_GTS View Post
Are u stupid or can't read English? H7 comes in 40ah and 60ah and H6 only comes in 40ah.is 60ah not higher than 40ah?
https://antigravitybatteries.com/pro...tive/ag-h6-rs/
H6 is available in 60ah, also stated by Tom's original post. I can read and spell English. Unlike you.

Last edited by SupraSaiyan; 01-10-2020 at 11:29 AM..
Appreciate 0