BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

EXXEL Distributions

12-24-2015, 03:17 PM   #23
evilspiritM3
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3, 2018 F87 M2

Garage List
2018 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
absolutely. a lot of times when i make a mistake in driver input, i know it before the car is in the position i put it in and mdm helps me out. i like to think i have a good feel for a smooth, natural, and efficient movement, but i still make mistakes in timing it just right and/or rushing/dragging.

on a recent trip to the streets of willow, i turned off mdm and loved it. i was putting more power down out of the tight corners and the car seemed to rotate easier. it only took me two laps to put it into the dirt. i'm not ready to turn it off every time. i guess what i'm trying to say is that although i agree that sticky tires can mask mistakes, mdm will still let you know most of the time.
That is too funny- pretty much did the same thing. The first time I went DSC off, I made it almost a full session thinking "I have this figured out". Which is just about the same time I man-handled the throttle and ended up in the grass at VIR.
      12-26-2015, 11:19 AM   #24
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
I disagree. Gripper tires allow you to go faster. Period. I can't remember a time when a person was time keeping that they said they were slower on stickier tires.

What R-comps do is mask the mistakes that will ultimately lead you to exceed the limit of grip and lose control of the car at a higher rate of speed. This is why, my opinion, you see more offs that result in a crash in advanced groups. With an R-comp...you're likely going +10mph faster off track vs those with street tires. So you go off quicker, further and more likely to hit something. R-comps tend to snap vs progressively squeal and lose grip so it is much more difficult to regain control...so I think there is a lower save % as well.

I also disagree with using MDM as a gauge of your driving. There are a couple of common stages for most drivers. One of them is learning to control the rear axle. Unlike the front wheels...the only way to really know what is going on with the rear axle is through the seat. MDM numbs that sensation since it intervenes when it senses slip angle. Good drivers know how to maintain some slip angle in the tires. Even worse...a stock E9X M3 is likely one of the faster cars in any group. So you slaughter the field because of the car (with MDM) and move into advanced. Then you realize that you need to turn DSC off but now you are going much faster with a lot more risk and a certain expectation that comes with most advanced groups.

I would never tell a student to turn off DSC due to liability for the DE org. If things like lawyers and lack of personal accountability didn't exist...I'd tell the student to turn that sh*t off.

I lived this mistake of driving with DSC on in my 330Ci...luckily nothing bad happened but you really are missing out on 50% of the capabilities of this car by driving with MDM on.

In the end...turn DSC off from the start and drive slow.

Sage advice. It's why I worked my way up to turning DSC off while autocrossing so I could learn the car's limits at a lower speed and in a safer environment. As it is, I still don't disable DSC if I'm at an unfamiliar track. I find Euro MDM to be fairly forgiving, but what troubles me is that I know it's doing things without flashing the light/notifying me.
      01-13-2016, 09:31 PM   #25
leo95se
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 e92 M3, '15 F15 X5d

i have 2 used for sale. anyone interested? i can send details, pics, etc. let me know. they are just sitting around, i dont plan to use them. thx!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2016, 10:34 PM   #26
surlynkid
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Garage List
Agree that those running MDM cannot judge their driving. But students get too far down the path with nannies and then freeze when they turn them off. If you cannot feel the back end moving or the whole car slipping, slow down until you can. I have uber grip on R7s but when I screw up, they are completely unforgiving. The grip they give can almost be unsettling unless you are confident in controlling your car.

Auto cross with DSC off is so different than being on track with DSC off that I cannot see any comparison. When you are on the gas flat out at 90mph at apex with the car moving around, that is nothing like auto cross.
Stoptech 380mm/355mm | PFC08 / Pagid RS-29 | Akrapovic EVO - CF tips | Benvo Tune | MS UDP | AA air filter | MCS 2-way with 700/1000lb springs | Solid bushings and adjustable links | RD front swaybar | Apex EC-7 18x10 square 275/35-18 NT01 | Turner Race Studs | GT4 Brake Cooling | GT4 Power Steering Cooling | Alekshop Oil Cooler | Performance Steering Wheel | | CF Spoiler | Varis System 1 Full CF Diffuser | Extended Paddle Shifters | Schroth Quick Fit Pro | Turner Steering Rack Stops | Vorshlag Camber Plates
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2016, 12:24 AM   #27
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo95se
i have 2 used for sale. anyone interested? i can send details, pics, etc. let me know. they are just sitting around, i dont plan to use them. thx!
Well let's hear about 'em.
      01-14-2016, 02:09 AM   #28
Sapper_M3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976
Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
Correct. Learn technique and ingrain the good habits on a slower car and more "moderate" tires.
I disagree. Gripper tires allow you to go faster. Period. I can't remember a time when a person was time keeping that they said they were slower on stickier tires.

What R-comps do is mask the mistakes that will ultimately lead you to exceed the limit of grip and lose control of the car at a higher rate of speed. This is why, my opinion, you see more offs that result in a crash in advanced groups. With an R-comp...you're likely going +10mph faster off track vs those with street tires. So you go off quicker, further and more likely to hit something. R-comps tend to snap vs progressively squeal and lose grip so it is much more difficult to regain control...so I think there is a lower save % as well.

I also disagree with using MDM as a gauge of your driving. There are a couple of common stages for most drivers. One of them is learning to control the rear axle. Unlike the front wheels...the only way to really know what is going on with the rear axle is through the seat. MDM numbs that sensation since it intervenes when it senses slip angle. Good drivers know how to maintain some slip angle in the tires. Even worse...a stock E9X M3 is likely one of the faster cars in any group. So you slaughter the field because of the car (with MDM) and move into advanced. Then you realize that you need to turn DSC off but now you are going much faster with a lot more risk and a certain expectation that comes with most advanced groups.

I would never tell a student to turn off DSC due to liability for the DE org. If things like lawyers and lack of personal accountability didn't exist...I'd tell the student to turn that sh*t off.

I lived this mistake of driving with DSC on in my 330Ci...luckily nothing bad happened but you really are missing out on 50% of the capabilities of this car by driving with MDM on.

In the end...turn DSC off from the start and drive slow.
+1

Very well said.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2016, 10:23 AM   #29
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

I need to get myself some Nittos! Hoping there's a discount soon!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2016, 11:02 AM   #30
leo95se
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
Well let's hear about 'em.
2011 or 2012 date code. I'll have to verify they have been in a shipping box. Approx 50% life left. No separation or any concern like that. Really just looking to clear my garage space. Left over because I corded two and switched to slicks so these never got used.
Just make me an offer. Keep in mind shipping is pricey so local (to CT/NYC) is ideal.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2016, 12:47 PM   #31
warp10
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 Jet Black:ZCP, ZCV, ZP

Garage List
2011 M3  [10.00]
2011 28i X3  [0.00]
I also have three used ones with 50-75% tread left. If anyone is interested.
      01-14-2016, 04:29 PM   #32
Kong Sheng Han
Banned
North Korea
Rep
Drives: Something something racecar

Garage List
2011 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2001 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by leo95se View Post
2011 or 2012 date code. I'll have to verify they have been in a shipping box. Approx 50% life left. No separation or any concern like that. Really just looking to clear my garage space. Left over because I corded two and switched to slicks so these never got used.
Just make me an offer. Keep in mind shipping is pricey so local (to CT/NYC) is ideal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by warp10 View Post
I also have three used ones with 50-75% tread left. If anyone is interested.
Size?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2016, 05:43 PM   #33
leo95se
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kong Sheng Han View Post
Size?
thread title
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2016, 06:21 PM   #34
Kong Sheng Han
Banned
North Korea
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2001 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by leo95se View Post
thread title
Oh wow. Right..
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2016, 07:53 PM   #35
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

master (or just get good at drifting, saving, etc) and the side effect of that will be lower lap times due to confidence in that you know how to save that shit when the car is sliding around.

just spend some time in a slower run group than usual (if you have advanced too much already), create some space, pick some safe corners, crank the wheel and hammer the throttle. you'll get used to it quick.

01-14-2016, 08:03 PM   #36
nholmes
Track Whore
United_States
Rep
Drives: women wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
master (or just get good at drifting, saving, etc) and the side effect of that will be lower lap times due to confidence in that you know how to save that shit when the car is sliding around.

just spend some time in a slower run group than usual (if you have advanced too much already), create some space, pick some safe corners, crank the wheel and hammer the throttle. you'll get used to it quick.

Just be sure you check with the event organizer first, ones like NCRC will give you the rest of the day off for drifting.

Appreciate 0
      01-14-2016, 08:09 PM   #37
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nholmes
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post

Just be sure you check with the event organizer first, ones like NCRC will give you the rest of the day off for drifting.

Yeah thy don't like it. But hey it's edumacation in my book lol.
      02-11-2016, 12:52 PM   #38
dbyrd
DSC Off!
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 6MT ZCP

DSC off toward the end of intermediate or early in advanced run groups. The majority of times that I've experienced oversteer has involved not getting into the throttle early enough.

Now back on topic - where are the good deals on NT-01s now?
MCS 1WNR with 600/900 spring rates / Vorshlag camber plates / Apex ARC-8s with MSI studs / Stoptech Trophy ST-60/ST-40 / Cantrell Motorsports Brake Duct Kit / Cobalt Friction XR1, XR2s or PFC-11 pads / UUC Corsa axle-back with Fabspeed HFC and x-pipe / Schroth Quick Fit Pros / HANS Sport II / AA green filter / Coolshirt with large bag / Aim SoloDL with SmartyCam / CSF Radiator
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2016, 06:59 AM   #39
surlynkid
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbyrd
DSC off toward the end of intermediate or early in advanced run groups. The majority of times that I've experienced oversteer has involved not getting into the throttle early enough.

You need RR or Hohos now. ?
Stoptech 380mm/355mm | PFC08 / Pagid RS-29 | Akrapovic EVO - CF tips | Benvo Tune | MS UDP | AA air filter | MCS 2-way with 700/1000lb springs | Solid bushings and adjustable links | RD front swaybar | Apex EC-7 18x10 square 275/35-18 NT01 | Turner Race Studs | GT4 Brake Cooling | GT4 Power Steering Cooling | Alekshop Oil Cooler | Performance Steering Wheel | | CF Spoiler | Varis System 1 Full CF Diffuser | Extended Paddle Shifters | Schroth Quick Fit Pro | Turner Steering Rack Stops | Vorshlag Camber Plates
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2016, 10:05 PM   #40
dbyrd
DSC Off!
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 6MT ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by surlynkid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbyrd

You need RR or Hohos now. ?
I'm missing your reference, but I was planning on talking to you about what tires you've been running - Hoosiers I think. At this point, I'd like something that lasts at least 5-6 days. Any thoughts about Hankook TDs or BFGR1s?
MCS 1WNR with 600/900 spring rates / Vorshlag camber plates / Apex ARC-8s with MSI studs / Stoptech Trophy ST-60/ST-40 / Cantrell Motorsports Brake Duct Kit / Cobalt Friction XR1, XR2s or PFC-11 pads / UUC Corsa axle-back with Fabspeed HFC and x-pipe / Schroth Quick Fit Pros / HANS Sport II / AA green filter / Coolshirt with large bag / Aim SoloDL with SmartyCam / CSF Radiator
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2016, 10:06 PM   #41
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

I would think r1 would fit that bill only have couple days on set and wearing well.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2016, 10:33 PM   #42
Kong Sheng Han
Banned
North Korea
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2001 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
I would think r1 would fit that bill only have couple days on set and wearing well.
Ever use very old R1s?

Last edited by Kong Sheng Han; 02-13-2016 at 11:55 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2016, 06:41 AM   #43
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

No had first new set last year and plan to finish them off this season
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2016, 11:58 AM   #44
Kong Sheng Han
Banned
North Korea
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2001 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
No had first new set last year and plan to finish them off this season
Wanna try using 8.5 year old R1s? I have six being used as living room decoration lol.
Appreciate 0