BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

09-11-2021, 03:08 PM   #111
SAMM3Y
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by slcook54 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biginboca View Post
Those doors! Wow!! Can't wait to see the final weight savings. It's hard to imagine it being more than 30lbs per door… but I would love to be wrong!
According to this post, Oem doors with all the fixins are 70lbs each.

https://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...php?p=26244808

These are probably less than 10lbs each. A window, regulator, handle, and latch might be 20-something-lbs? That's kinda what I'm guessing with.

I have flat carbon panels on order for the interior.
@SAMM3Y and I were chatting. Do you see any risk of the connection points of the door cracking over time, where it latches. Or would there be some sort of aero catch mechanism?
I had a carbon trunk on my car for about a year and the carbon around where the latch attached to stress cracked from wear and tear.. I was speculating with Steve that it might be a good idea to reinforce the latch mounting area as it looks pretty thin on those doors although I'm sure it's very high quality carbon.
      09-13-2021, 12:35 AM   #112
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

i got the doors over to the body shop for paint and i'm dropping the car off for a pre-fit. i was going to just wing it (oem replica doors, right?) but the guy does great work and strongly suggested i bring the car by for fitting.
i sort of prepped the car by taking the door cards off and reconnecting the window switches. i wanted to take inventory anyways for titanium hardware. another thing i wanted to do was look at he window switch wiring. i've never liked the big driver's side switch mounted to a carbon panel. it just doesn't flow and never looks right. i posted a quick instagram story talking about my intentions and a nice shop in the UK messaged me, stating it is... difficult. basically, the car doesn't like it if the signal doesn't come from that switch. i'm not really surprised that bmw complicated this, but hopefully the solution is more simple.
the solution that was relayed to me was to remove the button from the driver's side with that whole wiring clip attached, and relocate the button to the single button housing.
what i'm going to try to do, is remove the window wiring, buy an oem clip for the switch to receive, and see what happens. if that doesn't work, i'll swap the housing. i'll likely relocate the two switches to the center console like the old bmw days, or maybe mount them through a carbon blank where the radio used to be.
      09-13-2021, 12:51 AM   #113
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Quote:
i got the doors over to the body shop for paint and i'm dropping the car off for a pre-fit. i was going to just wing it (oem replica doors, right?) but the guy does great work and strongly suggested i bring the car by for fitting.
i sort of prepped the car by taking the door cards off and reconnecting the window switches. i wanted to take inventory anyways for titanium hardware. another thing i wanted to do was look at he window switch wiring. i've never liked the big driver's side switch mounted to a carbon panel. it just doesn't flow and never looks right. i posted a quick instagram story talking about my intentions and a nice shop in the UK messaged me, stating it is... difficult. basically, the car doesn't like it if the signal doesn't come from that switch. i'm not really surprised that bmw complicated this, but hopefully the solution is more simple.
the solution that was relayed to me was to remove the button from the driver's side with that whole wiring clip attached, and relocate the button to the single button housing.
what i'm going to try to do, is remove the window wiring, buy an oem clip for the switch to receive, and see what happens. if that doesn't work, i'll swap the housing. i'll likely relocate the two switches to the center console like the old bmw days, or maybe mount them through a carbon blank where the radio used to be.
I suspect the car doesn't like it when it can't see that switch module because the side mirror controls are also there and linked to the seat memory module. I wonder if it's something that can be coded out?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2021, 01:25 AM   #114
omgzirra_exe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4.4L M3, IS300

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMM3Y View Post
I had a carbon trunk on my car for about a year and the carbon around where the latch attached to stress cracked from wear and tear.. I was speculating with Steve that it might be a good idea to reinforce the latch mounting area as it looks pretty thin on those doors although I'm sure it's very high quality carbon.
if you have the struts' on, they will cause too much stress on the hinges/mounting area
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2021, 02:15 AM   #115
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
I suspect the car doesn't like it when it can't see that switch module because the side mirror controls are also there and linked to the seat memory module. I wonder if it's something that can be coded out?
i'll have to test it a couple different ways because i wasn't planning on having powered mirrors. i'll report what i find.
      09-13-2021, 10:21 PM   #116
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by slcook54 View Post
@SAMM3Y and I were chatting. Do you see any risk of the connection points of the door cracking over time, where it latches. Or would there be some sort of aero catch mechanism?
i don't think the doors see the same stresses as the trunk... hard to say. the trunk can be adjusted to be tight and it basically is held closed in tension between the hinges and the latch. add a wing to that, and it just adds to the tension.
i'm sure the doors have some static tension when closed, but i'm not sure how much.
      09-14-2021, 07:31 PM   #117
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Body shop text me the door fitment is on point. Fit great.
Attached Images

Biginboca3763.50
redpriest2145.50
Kelse921131.50
Exclusivs542.00
DrFerry6728.50
slcook541863.00
      09-15-2021, 12:32 PM   #118
Datka
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 ,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAMM3Y View Post
Carbon fiber has a tensile strength of 820,000 psi, while fiberglass has a tensile strength of around 50,000 psi. But, fiberglass is much more flexible than carbon fiber, so it will bend and is "stronger" than carbon fiber in certain situations. Its not "stiffer" than carbon fiber, thus less prone to stress fracture.
For that reason I chose fiberglass trunk over CF trunk. Have 61 inch wing mounted on it for a few years now without any problems. I did reinforce mounting points under the trunk with thin aluminum plates though.
Trunk is body color painted, the only negative, fiberglass is slightly heavier than CF.
      09-22-2021, 09:52 AM   #119
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Carbontec flat door panels came in the other day. The two panels weigh a scant 3.4lbs combined.

I plan on only having the door handle on the card and I'll be relocating the window switches elsewhere.

The plastics4performance windows came. They look great. I opted for the 4mm variant with the scratch resistant hard coating. I'm impressed.

Oh, and a big bag of titanium hardware for the door came.
Attached Images

slcook541863.00
      09-22-2021, 10:22 AM   #120
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
Carbontec flat door panels came in the other day. The two panels weigh a scant 3.4lbs combined.

I plan on only having the door handle on the card and I'll be relocating the window switches elsewhere.

The plastics4performance windows came. They look great. I opted for the 4mm variant with the scratch resistant hard coating. I'm impressed.

Did you consider the louvered variation? Also, any reason you're not using their side windows for the front doors?
      09-22-2021, 10:26 AM   #121
Kelse92
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Former e92 M3 Owner

Wow I'm impressed with those windows and the price is pretty affordable! This is a tempting piece down the road for my car

#ladydriven Heavy-spec M3 // KW Clubsports // AA x-pipe // Gintani muffler // Macht-Schnell intake // Gintani tune // OMP Seats // Too Many Apex Wheels // Stoptech ST-60 // Cobalt Friction brake pads
Appreciate 1
roastbeef11584.50
      09-22-2021, 10:46 AM   #122
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRLane View Post
Quote:

Did you consider the louvered variation? Also, any reason you're not using their side windows for the front doors?
The side windows need to be supported and require a partial frame. They are also slightly thinner and [i imagine] they would bounce back and forth between the window trim.
Also, they aren't as durable as glass and if they are dirty when you roll them up/down, they will eventually get marred or scratched.

The only reason I didn't get the louvered variant is I like the oem+ look more. Plus, you can't really close them. I guess you could tape them, but still… the oem look is what I'm after.
derbo3607.00
      09-22-2021, 02:56 PM   #123
Jive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Do you have a target weight in mind? What is weight savings so far with all the titanium nuts/bolts?
Appreciate 1
roastbeef11584.50
      09-22-2021, 05:18 PM   #124
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

I can't wait to see your track day report.
I think ever since I joined, you went into hibernation.
Appreciate 2
roastbeef11584.50
Kelse921131.50
      09-22-2021, 06:25 PM   #125
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyary View Post
I can't wait to see your track day report.
I think ever since I joined, you went into hibernation.
Yea, I had a couple things going on. Bought/sold a house, slight remodeling… life getting in the way of my hpde career. lol
      09-22-2021, 06:27 PM   #126
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jive View Post
Do you have a target weight in mind? What is weight savings so far with all the titanium nuts/bolts?
The goal is as light as possible.

I've probably saved about 1.5 lbs with titanium thus far.
      09-22-2021, 07:09 PM   #127
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Can't wait to see just how light our cars can actually go!
Appreciate 1
roastbeef11584.50
      09-22-2021, 08:22 PM   #128
dogbone
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M3 - IB

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Trinity Autosport built an E92 M3 with a full cage and aero to 2850lbs.

Racewerkz Engineering had an E92 M3 with full cage that was getting into that 2800 range. There were titanium bits all over it, so many parts were replaced with super light stuff, dry sump oil system.

Jordan Yost built an E92 M3 for endurance racing. IIRC I think it was under 2900lbs.

Forum dude FrostyAZ built a BEAUTIFUL build with over 400 labor hours in it. Car was around 2900 lbs.

As far as what we have to look forward to in our community:

-redpriest looks set to make a large commitment into his E92. Really eager to see how that turns out.
-Obviously, roastbeef is in the midst of a wild project, but if he doesn't do a cage, it's sort of hard to compare weight because all the other builds have cages which is at least a 120lbs penalty.
-The person who is hyper committed to this platform who always has something exciting going on is OG Shark. Always eager to see what he and his shop have been cooking up.

Years ago, I saw an E92 M3 European built race car for sale. I don't know what the heck was going with that build, but they listed the weight of the car in kg and when I converted it to pounds, it was so light, I didn't believe it. Figured it had to be a mistake. It was like high-2400s. I couldn't understand what on earth could have been done to that car for it to be listed at that weight......I just chalked it up to being an error.......buuuuuut then you see stuff like this, listed at 2535 lbs and you wonder......M3 Race Version
Appreciate 3
roastbeef11584.50
atopa2002202.50
MULLET50.00
      09-22-2021, 10:12 PM   #129
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.63]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbone View Post
Quote:
Trinity Autosport built an E92 M3 with a full cage and aero to 2850lbs.

Racewerkz Engineering had an E92 M3 with full cage that was getting into that 2800 range. There were titanium bits all over it, so many parts were replaced with super light stuff, dry sump oil system.

Jordan Yost built an E92 M3 for endurance racing. IIRC I think it was under 2900lbs.

Forum dude FrostyAZ built a BEAUTIFUL build with over 400 labor hours in it. Car was around 2900 lbs.

As far as what we have to look forward to in our community:

-redpriest looks set to make a large commitment into his E92. Really eager to see how that turns out.
-Obviously, roastbeef is in the midst of a wild project, but if he doesn't do a cage, it's sort of hard to compare weight because all the other builds have cages which is at least a 120lbs penalty.
-The person who is hyper committed to this platform who always has something exciting going on is OG Shark. Always eager to see what he and his shop have been cooking up.

Years ago, I saw an E92 M3 European built race car for sale. I don't know what the heck was going with that build, but they listed the weight of the car in kg and when I converted it to pounds, it was so light, I didn't believe it. Figured it had to be a mistake. It was like high-2400s. I couldn't understand what on earth could have been done to that car for it to be listed at that weight......I just chalked it up to being an error.......buuuuuut then you see stuff like this, listed at 2535 lbs and you wonder......M3 Race Version
Tube chassis and fiberglass / carbon body panels?
      09-23-2021, 03:34 AM   #130
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

I've actually been talking with Jamie at Pinacle Motorsport across the pond. I love his work and quality. It might just actually be economical to fly him out and have him build a cage… we just have to figure out a shop that will let us use their equipment. Lol
Attached Images

atopa2002202.50
slcook541863.00
      09-23-2021, 08:57 AM   #131
berns
Captain
Rep
Drives: '07 E90 335i

Quote:
I've actually been talking with Jamie at Pinacle Motorsport across the pond. I love his work and quality. It might just actually be economical to fly him out and have him build a cage… we just have to figure out a shop that will let us use their equipment. Lol
Told you Jamie was awesome! Incredible work. Not sure how easy it is to get the T45 he uses here. But I'd assume he'd just pre-cut all the bars and ship them, then come to assemble.

When and if you go for this, I might be interested in sharing some cost to cage mine too. But that's still a decent ways down the line for me.
Appreciate 1
roastbeef11584.50
      09-23-2021, 09:20 AM   #132
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by berns View Post
Quote:
Told you Jamie was awesome! Incredible work. Not sure how easy it is to get the T45 he uses here. But I'd assume he'd just pre-cut all the bars and ship them, then come to assemble.

When and if you go for this, I might be interested in sharing some cost to cage mine too. But that's still a decent ways down the line for me.
I'll post up if this thought becomes a plan. He liked the idea though. Again, the hard part is finding a shop. If he ships pre-bent tubes, he could always burn it together in my garage.