BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

EXXEL Distributions

08-10-2021, 11:18 PM   #1
414bhp
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, CTS-V, AMG GT S, Tesla

E90 M3 vs. C8 Corvette Z51

Hi M3 guys and gals,

I got to test drive the new mid-engine C8 Corvette with the Z51 performance package for several hours and drive it back to back with my 2016 AMG GT S. (I replaced my E90 M3 with the AMG GT S late last year.) I've got a full write-up on the C8 vs AMG GT S on my blog here, but I see some people asking about the C8 vs. the E90 M3, so I'll try and compare them the best I can here.

Exterior - The C8 is cuts, slashes, gaping intakes, and flying wings. And, because of the angular cab-forward design of the C8, it looks like a modern, radar-evading fighter jet to me. I think the design is amazing. In the SF Bay Area the Corvette is still rare, so it turns many heads. The M3 looks great too, but is clearly from an earlier era. In my opinion the M3 design may be more future proof because it's more conservative.

Interior - This surprised me, but the C8's interior (with the mid-level LT2 package) is incredibly nice. Chevy went to town by splashing leather on everything, using knurled metal for the rotary knobs, and putting aluminum facings on the frequently used buttons. The interior design is wild, with 60% of the cabin being dedicated to the driver, and the passenger being walled off to the right. Obviously, the M3 cabin is simpler and more practical, but still attractive and high quality. However you'll find more plastic (buttons and dash) in the M3. I'd say the Corvette trumps the M3 for luxury finish. The C8 has a ton of trick technology that the M3 never got: a HUD, 360-cameras, birds-eye-view bumper cameras, and front axle lift. I loved the Corvette's mid-range GT2 sports seats. They are aggressively bolstered yet still comfortable and supportive, and they have built-in ventilation. But for daily driving I'd prefer the less restrictive M3 seats.

Comfort - I personally think the M3 has a firm but nice ride, especially because the M3 seats are so well padded. But the C8 had the optional mag-ride dampers, and they are magic-carpet smooth over rough roads. The Corvette drove like the best from modern Cadillac, which is smoother than anything from BMW M. The Corvette's cabin is hushed and free of squeaks and rattles. In terms of a quiet, comfortable cruiser, the C8 is as good as or better than the M3, so long as you are okay with aggressive seats and a tight 2-person cabin.

Drivetrain - I had a dual-clutch M3, and it was showing its age. The C8 DCT is newer, faster, smoother...better. The Corvette V8 makes great sounds and heaps of torque, so it generally feels a class (or two) faster than the M3. But the M3's V8 is much more musical, and its throttle response at high-RPMs give me goosebumps I just don't get from the C8. If you're a high-revving engine snob, stick with the S65.

Sprinting - The C8 has some crazy moves for a 3650 lb, 495 hp, RWD car. The amazingly effective launch control got me to 60 mph in 2.9s, and I have no idea what I am doing at a drag strip! Because of the horsepower advantage the C8 bests the M3 in any objective measurement. But the zing of the M3 above 7k rpm is a delight that the C8 never has.

Cornering - The C8 has more cornering ability than I can exploit on the street. I expected the mid-engine Corvette to be more eager at entering corners, but the C8's super-heavy steering (especially in Track mode) and conservative suspension setup made the car feel reluctant to turn. (It _did_ turn, it just didn't _feel_ like it wanted to.) Using the comfort steering helps the Corvette feel more willing. In comparison, I think the M3 has much better steering weight (not too heavy) and is more eager to enter corners. The M3 also knows how to communicative grip levels as the limit approaches. That said, even if it's numb, the Corvette can smoke a stock M3 on any twisting road.

Excitement - Here is where the Corvette loses the comparison by a mile. The M3 has fantastic feel and feedback from the chassis and the steering. Via the steering I can feel the changing grip at the front tires, and all of the textures and impacts from the road. The Corvette whispers about the road grain and impacts, but it gives no information about the tire grip or suspension work. For me, this makes the Corvette feel aloof and remote; there's little two-way conversation between me (as the driver) and the car. Additionally, the C8 chassis feels like it is built for much burlier engines. The 495 hp V8 doesn't challenge it, and the Corvette chassis feels bored by its engine. I find the M3 a lot more exciting to drive because it's so much more involving and communicative. That said, I also wanted more torque out of the S65 so that I could torture the rear tires more easily.

If you are considering buying a C8, go drive one first, because I think you might be surprised by how reserved and luxurious it feels on the street. If you love the hydraulic steering and fizzy engine of the E90 M3, you'll be disappointed with the C8. But if you love exciting styling, fancy tech, and a race-ready engine and chassis, the C8 is a fantastic car.
Appreciate 3
CSBM52695.50
bhowelett125.00
      08-11-2021, 08:33 AM   #2
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

Nice writeup. My uncle just picked up a C8 need to take it for a spin sometime soon.

The GM MR dampers really are trick pieces of kit, it's a shame that so many other pieces of the GM products often let them down. On terrible NY roads the E90 and it's creaks and rattles and squeaky trim certainly remind you you're in a car that was designed in 2006.

The new Caddy CT5-V Blackwing looks juicy in the 4 door space and pretty good looking to boot.
      08-11-2021, 11:49 AM   #3
414bhp
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdemon View Post
Nice writeup. My uncle just picked up a C8 need to take it for a spin sometime soon.

The GM MR dampers really are trick pieces of kit, it's a shame that so many other pieces of the GM products often let them down. On terrible NY roads the E90 and it's creaks and rattles and squeaky trim certainly remind you you're in a car that was designed in 2006.

The new Caddy CT5-V Blackwing looks juicy in the 4 door space and pretty good looking to boot.
Yes! I incredibly interested in the Caddy CT5-V Blackwing! I've got a CTS-V wagon (6-speed) that I love to pieces, but sometimes it feels a bit heavy, lumbering and flexy. I'm thinking that the Blackwing would give me a similar rush but with a much better composed chassis. On the other hand, the CTS-V is a thoroughly analog experience, and it has amazing hydraulic steering which is on par with the 997 Porsches. So I'd be reluctant to give that up!

Appreciate 0
      08-11-2021, 12:33 PM   #4
Cyberdemon
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i, 2018 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by 414bhp View Post
Yes! I incredibly interested in the Caddy CT5-V Blackwing! I've got a CTS-V wagon (6-speed) that I love to pieces, but sometimes it feels a bit heavy, lumbering and flexy. I'm thinking that the Blackwing would give me a similar rush but with a much better composed chassis. On the other hand, the CTS-V is a thoroughly analog experience, and it has amazing hydraulic steering which is on par with the 997 Porsches. So I'd be reluctant to give that up!

Nice read, and great ride to have in the stable. For all it's flaws I think that wagon is going to keep a tremendous value. I felt similar when I drove a friends CTS-V (though his was an auto/sedan) that it felt much bigger and the auto made the whole thing feel softer and sluggish than I'd expect. I also didn't think I could live with the tech on a daily basis anymore.

The new Caddy seems like it's fixed a lot of those problems at a bargain price compared to the current M5. Just hope they don't pull it out of production in 2 years for weak sales.
      08-11-2021, 04:12 PM   #5
414bhp
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberdemon View Post
Nice read, and great ride to have in the stable. For all it's flaws I think that wagon is going to keep a tremendous value. I felt similar when I drove a friends CTS-V (though his was an auto/sedan) that it felt much bigger and the auto made the whole thing feel softer and sluggish than I'd expect. I also didn't think I could live with the tech on a daily basis anymore.

The new Caddy seems like it's fixed a lot of those problems at a bargain price compared to the current M5. Just hope they don't pull it out of production in 2 years for weak sales.
Yeah, in some ways it's a classic car experience with the CTS-V. Stick shift, Atari-graphics nav screen, old-school GM interior design (lots of plastic buttons!), but it's one of the few cars that is comfortable, silly powerful, brimming with feedback and can do family duties.

Pretty much all car tech is outdated after a 5 or 10 years, so if you are going to hang on to any car for a decade, you just accept it. I just use my cellphone for nav and podcasts, and that's that!
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2021, 10:40 AM   #6
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

GM has been the best place to buy a fast manual sedan since the E90M went out of production.

I love them for it, even with all their other flaws
      08-12-2021, 11:12 PM   #7
414bhp
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
GM has been the best place to buy a fast manual sedan since the E90M went out of production.

I love them for it, even with all their other flaws
Sounds like you are not an F80 M3 fan! I've had some great drives in the F80/F82, but never tried the manual. (And never really found it more compelling than the E90.)
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2021, 02:38 PM   #8
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

8 is enough and 6 is not heh