BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

07-17-2018, 01:02 PM   #23
xander_g
Major
Rep
Drives: G30 M550i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
It was my understanding that the motor is mostly stock, save for a tune.
Interesting, I was under the impression that schirmer were known for their stroked s65 car.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 01:14 PM   #24
xchosun1x
Track Duty
United_States
Rep
Drives: Track build 08 E92 M3 DCT

it does have a stroker engine in it...4.4 or 4.6 i'm not sure which though
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2018, 01:41 PM   #25
AP3X_FTW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
It was my understanding that the motor is mostly stock, save for a tune.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xander_g View Post
Interesting, I was under the impression that schirmer were known for their stroked s65 car.
See my post from above. There is confusion because there are several Schirmer E92 builds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP3X_FTW
You are correct, this particular car had a stroker kit when he set the sub 7 min BTG time. There are a number of Schirmer E92 and E90 M3's out there, and they range from stock motors, CF airbox and tune, to full stoker builds and/or Harrop superchargers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xchosun1x View Post
it does have a stroker engine in it...4.4 or 4.6 i'm not sure which though

For Sale - E92 M3 Full Black Interior Part Out
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2020, 03:55 PM   #26
geoffreyaugusto
Rep
Drives: 09 E92 M3, 993 Turbo S, F430

What are the extra cut outs on the rear bumper?? I’ve noticed this on a few other fast ring e92 m3s
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2020, 04:40 PM   #27
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoffreyaugusto View Post
What are the extra cut outs on the rear bumper?? I’ve noticed this on a few other fast ring e92 m3s
Additional diff cooling and helps reduce parachuting effect.
Appreciate 1
roastbeef11581.50
      12-23-2020, 05:40 PM   #28
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

i caught a glimpse of a shirmer gt on a lift and i can't find the same video. i'm pretty sure i saw a blade style sway bar affixed near the rear mounts of the subframe. i'm pretty sure it was a misha charoudin video that got taken down.

Last edited by roastbeef; 12-23-2020 at 06:06 PM..
Appreciate 1
///Mobbin1476.50
      12-23-2020, 07:05 PM   #29
slowdown_dan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e93

I have a feeling some adjustable sways, revised front sus geo (like Strom uprights) and access to their nitron r3 shock settings would get a guy pretty close to "schrimer kinematics"
Appreciate 1
///Mobbin1476.50
      12-23-2020, 08:31 PM   #30
atopa2002
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z3M, 2013 e92 M3, F15 X5

https://www.m3post.com/forums/showpo...74&postcount=6
Appreciate 1
///Mobbin1476.50
      12-23-2020, 08:44 PM   #31
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by atopa2002 View Post
Wow, I've never seen those before, impressive! Are those #roastbeef weight saving holes cut into the chassis? And kinematics is something real it seems, more than what SPL achieves, maybe something more akin to SPL + Strom?

Have some Schirmer parts in my street + track build plan.
      12-23-2020, 08:56 PM   #32
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Those definitely played a part in my inspiration for my #beefholes.
      12-23-2020, 09:11 PM   #33
911r
Captain
Rep
Drives: slowly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mobbin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by atopa2002 View Post
Wow, I've never seen those before, impressive! Are those #roastbeef weight saving holes cut into the chassis? And kinematics is something real it seems, more than what SPL achieves, maybe something more akin to SPL + Strom?

Have some Schirmer parts in my street + track build plan.
Tom offers a 192pc kinematics kit, that he will not release or sell to anyone that isn't able to have the kit installed by himself or his team directly. He also offers a "smaller" kit which primarily aims to remove all rubber bushings from the car, and allow for more camber, roll centre, and bump steer correction. I believe that smaller kit can fairly be easily replicated with a combination of SPL arms and solid aluminum bushings, but it of course won't be as strong as the Schirmer kit.
Appreciate 2
///Mobbin1476.50
roastbeef11581.50
      12-25-2020, 06:50 AM   #34
nickauger
Private
Rep
Drives: m3 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP3X_FTW View Post
I thought M24 only had the universal CF door panels, but after looking again you are right. The front and rear "molded" CF panels are very nice, and I agree they are likely the same ones found in the Schirmer cars.

Correct.
Just discover Arbont Racing shop , they are manufacturing the most craziest carbon parts. I ve discovered them when i saw some amazing carbon door panel in a For sale race car thread on facebook. They are base in Latvia and they are a race team that sell there own product.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2020, 01:30 PM   #35
tsk94
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E82 128i, F82 M4, E36

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911r View Post
Tom offers a 192pc kinematics kit, that he will not release or sell to anyone that isn't able to have the kit installed by himself or his team directly. He also offers a "smaller" kit which primarily aims to remove all rubber bushings from the car, and allow for more camber, roll centre, and bump steer correction. I believe that smaller kit can fairly be easily replicated with a combination of SPL arms and solid aluminum bushings, but it of course won't be as strong as the Schirmer kit.
There's not even 192 pieces in the suspension, even if you include all bushings, mounts and bolts... Something fishy there.

Regardless, from pictures I've seen the Schirmer cars are nothing special 'kinematics wise'. They use all factory pickup points in the front axle with adjustable arms - basically identical to SPL arms. In the rear the subframe looks stock with stock mounting points, hard to tell if it's changed on the hub though as the rear hubs look different. They replaced the lower control arm that houses the spring, but that won't make much difference - it's just a custom arm.
Appreciate 1
Bartledoo2691.50
      12-25-2020, 02:33 PM   #36
b4hand
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3

They also seem to use rear coilovers but again, nothing special.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2020, 03:29 PM   #37
911r
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk94 View Post
Quote:
There's not even 192 pieces in the suspension, even if you include all bushings, mounts and bolts... Something fishy there.

Regardless, from pictures I've seen the Schirmer cars are nothing special 'kinematics wise'. They use all factory pickup points in the front axle with adjustable arms - basically identical to SPL arms. In the rear the subframe looks stock with stock mounting points, hard to tell if it's changed on the hub though as the rear hubs look different. They replaced the lower control arm that houses the spring, but that won't make much difference - it's just a custom arm.
Just echoing information I've received from Tom & one of his distributors directly. I do agree that their kit is nothing unheard of, with the exception of the diff lift kit; I haven't seen that implemented onto many (if any) E9x M3s in NA. Their arms are a little beefier than SPL arms, and lack titanium bolts which I've heard aren't the strongest on dedicated track cars.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-25-2020, 03:51 PM   #38
tsk94
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E82 128i, F82 M4, E36

Quote:
Just echoing information I've received from Tom & one of his distributors directly. I do agree that their kit is nothing unheard of, with the exception of the diff lift kit; I haven't seen that implemented onto many (if any) E9x M3s in NA. Their arms are a little beefier than SPL arms, and lack titanium bolts which I've heard aren't the strongest on dedicated track cars.
Ya, I'm not trying to question what you said. As you stated, you're simply passing on what you've been told.

I'm sure they exaggerate the amount somehow, perhaps '192' includes everything new bolt, washer and nut lol - in which case it might be perhaps plausible.

Regardless, my point was that the Schirmer cars aren't witchcraft. They may have a few special tweaks/changes to them that you can't easily do to a regular M3, but otherwise it's nothing out of this world. They are just well set-up cars and the whole package works together very well.
Appreciate 2
derbo3602.50
911r889.00
      12-25-2020, 04:12 PM   #39
Ajolives
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2019 Audi SQ5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
I might need an E92 race car now.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2020, 04:55 PM   #40
911r
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Ya, I'm not trying to question what you said. As you stated, you're simply passing on what you've been told.

I'm sure they exaggerate the amount somehow, perhaps '192' includes everything new bolt, washer and nut lol - in which case it might be perhaps plausible.

Regardless, my point was that the Schirmer cars aren't witchcraft. They may have a few special tweaks/changes to them that you can't easily do to a regular M3, but otherwise it's nothing out of this world. They are just well set-up cars and the whole package works together very well.
Ahh, I'm with you. Yeah, I was caught off caught by 192 pieces as well. And totally, no witchcraft. Like you said, just well setup cars. Their kits are considerably more expensive than similar Turner / SPL kits as well, I'm curious to see how many people adopt their parts when the online site releases.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2020, 05:08 PM   #41
Epoustouflant
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Ahh, I'm with you. Yeah, I was caught off caught by 192 pieces as well. And totally, no witchcraft. Like you said, just well setup cars. Their kits are considerably more expensive than similar Turner / SPL kits as well, I'm curious to see how many people adopt their parts when the online site releases.
As with anything European made, pricing will be everything.

I think they'll be overpriced and limited distribution will make this a pain in the ass. IMO what makes Schirmer special is the brand built around parts + setup.

They should have sought installation partners in the US prior to selling parts online.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2020, 05:14 PM   #42
slowdown_dan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e93

I believe they will. They have European partners outside of Germany to install their parts. An east coast and west coast partner in the US is likely in the works, if I had to guess. If it's not, it should be.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2020, 05:21 PM   #43
911r
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by butte2butte View Post
I believe they will. They have European partners outside of Germany to install their parts. An east coast and west coast partner in the US is likely in the works, if I had to guess. If it's not, it should be.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epoustouflant View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

As with anything European made, pricing will be everything.

I think they'll be overpriced and limited distribution will make this a pain in the ass. IMO what makes Schirmer special is the brand built around parts + setup.

They should have sought installation partners in the US prior to selling parts online.
Surprisingly, Tom has no intentions of partnering with any US shop/distributors—at least according to Scott from Auto Attune (Schirmer's UK distributor). I was hoping they would. Perhaps down the road?
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2020, 05:36 PM   #44
Epoustouflant
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Surprisingly, Tom has no intentions of partnering with any US shop/distributors—at least according to Scott from Auto Attune (Schirmer's UK distributor). I was hoping they would. Perhaps down the road?
I am not surprised. German aftermarket tuners consistently overlook the US market - hence why I started these group buys. They don't understand nor want to put in the time to figure out our market for the most part.

Looking at their attempt to create a separate brand for the Team Schirmer Parts, them pushing back the launch date from October to January and the recent European network of shops that install their parts, this doesn't seem that well planned out and an attempt to monetize the brand rapidly, hopefully I'm wrong.

It does beg a few questions:

- What's the value in Schirmer suspension parts without their setup expertise?
- Does their off-the-shelf suspension setup translate to tracks outside of Germany, and the 'Ring?
- Can a European brand built off YouTubers and kinematic mystic translate to a worldwide brand without the proper distribution & installer network?

Their interior parts for the E9X would definitely be interesting as they were able to retain a luxury RS-like feel to their cabin, but I'm skeptic on suspension parts. It's also my understanding they have worked with BBS to improve the E88s with larger bolts for durability, but I'd assume it's something our resident BBS expert Slicer could have customized.

Curious and excited still to see their launch in January.
Appreciate 1
911r889.00