BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

05-17-2022, 10:07 AM   #1
bluemagnet
Private
Rep
Drives: x1 f48 2016

Air mass to high, pressure too high

First of I have a 2016 X1 and posting on this forum because I found the x1 crowd lacking in any technical know how. I figured someone in here have more
Knowledge of what to investigate.

I currently have 109k on the odo.
I just replaced my MAF, TMAP and MAP sensors a week ago because I kept getting two engine codes:

121201 Boost pressure sensor, overrun, pressure too high

102001 Air mass, air mass too high

Stock intake.

I still get both errors. If not the sensors than could it be the throttle manifold? Maybe valve is sticking? Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2022, 11:24 AM   #2
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a granny.

Is it tuned? you typically see these codes a n20 when its tuned. give some more information about the car and I will be able to help you.

G-Power Supercharged
First DCT to Manual Conversion Worldwide
KW CS, BBS RI-A, BW Headers, Snow 2.5
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2022, 01:08 PM   #3
bluemagnet
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrazM View Post
Is it tuned? you typically see these codes a n20 when its tuned. give some more information about the car and I will be able to help you.
It was tuned previously with a RaceChip but I had since removed that as that was when it originally started throwing those codes. I ran the Chip for over a year without issues. I had RaceChip send me a new box and cables as I thought it was either tuner box and/or cable but no improvement. It is stock at this time. I had cleared the codes obviously but keeps coming up. Drivability is normal. In fact I had noticed significant improvement in acceleration since I replaced the three sensors. I use BimmerLink via Bluetooth to clear the codes.

I take it back about having no symptom. Occasionally engine will stutter at cold start but once I put gas on it it is fine. No overall drivability issue. MPG is normal 25-30

Last edited by bluemagnet; 05-17-2022 at 01:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2022, 09:14 PM   #4
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemagnet View Post
It was tuned previously with a RaceChip but I had since removed that as that was when it originally started throwing those codes. I ran the Chip for over a year without issues. I had RaceChip send me a new box and cables as I thought it was either tuner box and/or cable but no improvement. It is stock at this time. I had cleared the codes obviously but keeps coming up. Drivability is normal. In fact I had noticed significant improvement in acceleration since I replaced the three sensors. I use BimmerLink via Bluetooth to clear the codes.

I take it back about having no symptom. Occasionally engine will stutter at cold start but once I put gas on it it is fine. No overall drivability issue. MPG is normal 25-30
Being that you had the race chip in there which is essentially a piggy back you may want to reset learned values of the dme to remove any adapted settings that the dme accounted for while using the racechip. Some cars that had dinantronics installed had similar issues in my experience and the dinantronics worked under the same principles as the race chip. You need ista to do this, more than likely it’s not a hardware issue at this point especially since you replaced the affected parts already. Clearing the codes is not enough.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2022, 09:57 PM   #5
bluemagnet
Private
Rep

Quote:
Being that you had the race chip in there which is essentially a piggy back you may want to reset learned values of the dme to remove any adapted settings that the dme accounted for while using the racechip. Some cars that had dinantronics installed had similar issues in my experience and the dinantronics worked under the same principles as the race chip. You need ista to do this, more than likely it’s not a hardware issue at this point especially since you replaced the affected parts already. Clearing the codes is not enough.
How do I go about reseting the learned values? Is it simply disconnecting both battery terminals for 15 minutes, turn accessorily lights on etc..?
Thank you for your help amrazM!
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2022, 05:29 AM   #6
amrazM
mTekMods
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemagnet View Post
How do I go about reseting the learned values? Is it simply disconnecting both battery terminals for 15 minutes, turn accessorily lights on etc..?
Thank you for your help amrazM!
no it has to be done with a bmw computer, ista or similar.

G-Power Supercharged
First DCT to Manual Conversion Worldwide
KW CS, BBS RI-A, BW Headers, Snow 2.5
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2022, 08:41 AM   #7
bluemagnet
Private
Rep

Quote:
no it has to be done with a bmw computer, ista or similar.
Oh I see. I thought ista was a typo from you
Haha

Is there anyone in Illinois lake/cook county that have an ISTA to help reset my ECU?

Thank you.

Last edited by bluemagnet; 05-18-2022 at 09:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2022, 08:45 PM   #8
deansbimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: 2011 E93 M3

Garage List
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
2011 X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
ISTA is the BMW diagnostics software. Anyone can pull fault codes but turning those into an actionable plan requires running through the test plans and actuations provided within the software. Otherwise you're guessing and throwing parts at a car.

You need a shop with BMW experience who has this software and can perform a proper diagnosis and repair with OE parts.
Appreciate 0