BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - California

EXXEL Distributions

07-28-2019, 07:46 PM   #1
Abefroman55
Rep
Drives: 2011 e93 m3

Tune and smog question...please forgive me.

Ok, forgive me. trying to figure this out. I have test pipes and a tune. I know the correct way is to put some cats on and return to stock tune. But.................my friend's friend attempted to pass it "as is" but is convinced the tune is not allowing him to "work his magic." He is telling me to take the tune off and return so he can take care of it.

The question is....is this even possible? I don't understand exactly how it works. Is he confused or am I. Should I not waste the time and just find a stock mid pipe and remove the tune and do it the correct way? How do most people do this?

Any info could help me. Thank you in advance.

Ps. I know I am an a-hole asking this because it is a sensitive topic. Let's answer in hypotheticals.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2019, 08:24 PM   #2
randrews15
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3 Le Mans Blue

Lots of missing information here. What is he going to do to deal with the emission code from running test pipes? I'm not sure what he's planning to do with a stock tune to pass emissions with test pipes. If they do an undercarriage inspection I don't think you'd pass.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2019, 08:50 PM   #3
JKY723
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

You’ll need primary and secondary cats with stock tune to pass smog.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2019, 10:53 PM   #4
Abefroman55
Rep
Drives: 2011 e93 m3

Sorry, I worded it poorly....
Guy who has the smog shop said that he would pass whatever I got. I said I have a tune and no cats. I brought the car to him, and he felt that the tune was giving him problems to do whatever he does. I don't totally understand what his plan was or what he does. He just said to take off the tune and come back.

I just don't understand how this stuff works. I'm just looking for someone who is familiar with these services to lend advice. A pm would be better probably. Thank you for your help.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 12:02 AM   #5
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

What tune do you have?
Other's have posted they don't pass smog in Cali with a tune and test pipe but one of the venders here insist their tune passes smog in Cali.

If you do flash back to stock, you'll also need to do the emissions driving cycle to get it to pass.

https://www.smogtips.com/smog-questi...es-Drive-Cycle
How to Perform a BMW 3-Series Drive Cycle

Begin by: (Make sure you have between 1/4 and 3/4 fuel in the gas tank. The EVAP test will not run while your BMW has a full tank of gas or the gas tank is near empty. Ensure there are no pending or active trouble codes and that the check engine light is not on. Start the drive cycle from a cold start; preferably on a cold morning.

A. Start engine and idle for approximately 2 minutes and 10 seconds. The secondary air injection and EVAP leak detection tests are being conducted now.

B. Begin driving. Accelerate to 20-30 MPH and maintain steady speed for 3 minutes and 15 seconds. During this drive segment the ECU is checking closed-loop operation and oxygen sensor response time.

C. Accelerate to 40-60 MPH and maintain steady speed for 15 minutes. The catalyst monitor is being run now.

D Decelerate to a complete stop and idle while the engine is in gear for 5 minutes. The ECU is testing the system for EVAP leaks.

E. End of Drive Cycle

If readiness status of all monitors do not switch to “ready,” ensure preconditions are met, and complete a new drive cycle after the engine has cooled overnight. The BMW 3-Series drive cycle (drive trace) requires driving both highway and city speeds. If you feel you might be unable to complete the drive cycle safely, please seek assistance from a BMW repair center or smog check repair station.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 10:29 AM   #6
Mr. Liu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 M3 '14 E63 '05 E55K

I just went through a whole month of figuring out smog with the exact same issue you have. I finally waved the white flag and got a stock xpipe, everything is back to stock. My cat and 02 are all ready after driving about 50 miles, and the only thing I have to get ready now is the EVAP.

I suggest you not mess with the headache and just swap back to stock
      07-29-2019, 11:05 AM   #7
hungryhippo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

No issues with smog if you have a stage 1 tune with oem xpipe installed.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 02:00 PM   #8
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Liu View Post
I just went through a whole month of figuring out smog with the exact same issue you have. I finally waved the white flag and got a stock xpipe, everything is back to stock. My cat and 02 are all ready after driving about 50 miles, and the only thing I have to get ready now is the EVAP.

What's the EVAP and how do you get it ready?
Can you PM me your tune? My smog is due in a couple weeks too.
Thanks.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 02:40 PM   #9
sdbmwcoding
Captain
United_States
Rep

I don't think your smog guy fully understands what mods you have. If he's actually doing a legit smog, you will not pass with your catalytic converters removed even on stock tune. I think maybe he thinks you just have an aftermarket exhaust that isn't messing with emissions but the tune isn't letting a monitor pass which is false. If this is a legit smog you need to throw your cats back in (you only need primaries, you can leave secondaries out if you removed the secondaries), flash stock tune and do a drive cycle. There are certain tunes out there that mimic obd readiness so it'll show all monitors are on but no vendor will publicly say their tune does that as its illegal.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 11:29 PM   #10
HeavyArmZ
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:

I'm pretty sure the EVAP monitor can be incomplete and you would still pass smog in CA, with all other monitors ready.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 10:22 AM   #11
Mr. Liu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
What tune do you have?
Other's have posted they don't pass smog in Cali with a tune and test pipe but one of the venders here insist their tune passes smog in Cali.

If you do flash back to stock, you'll also need to do the emissions driving cycle to get it to pass.

https://www.smogtips.com/smog-questi...es-Drive-Cycle
How to Perform a BMW 3-Series Drive Cycle

Begin by: (Make sure you have between 1/4 and 3/4 fuel in the gas tank. The EVAP test will not run while your BMW has a full tank of gas or the gas tank is near empty. Ensure there are no pending or active trouble codes and that the check engine light is not on. Start the drive cycle from a cold start; preferably on a cold morning.

A. Start engine and idle for approximately 2 minutes and 10 seconds. The secondary air injection and EVAP leak detection tests are being conducted now.

B. Begin driving. Accelerate to 20-30 MPH and maintain steady speed for 3 minutes and 15 seconds. During this drive segment the ECU is checking closed-loop operation and oxygen sensor response time.

C. Accelerate to 40-60 MPH and maintain steady speed for 15 minutes. The catalyst monitor is being run now.

D Decelerate to a complete stop and idle while the engine is in gear for 5 minutes. The ECU is testing the system for EVAP leaks.

E. End of Drive Cycle

If readiness status of all monitors do not switch to “ready,” ensure preconditions are met, and complete a new drive cycle after the engine has cooled overnight. The BMW 3-Series drive cycle (drive trace) requires driving both highway and city speeds. If you feel you might be unable to complete the drive cycle safely, please seek assistance from a BMW repair center or smog check repair station.

I dont have any engine tune whatsoever, I had an Akrapovic deleter to get rid of CEL when I am running my test pipes. I removed that also.
      07-30-2019, 11:44 AM   #12
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I dont have any engine tune whatsoever, I had an Akrapovic deleter to get rid of CEL when I am running my test pipes. I removed that also.
I see. Definitely won't pass without a tune, and even then, Cali is super strict so it still may not pass.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 02:39 PM   #13
Mr. Liu
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I never understood why people have to go through that laborious drive cycle to set monitors.

Without a tune, all you have to do is swap the stock xpipe back on, drive it for 50 miles and all monitors that are required will set.

I am still having issues with my EVAP but I don't even think that one is required to pass in CA, so I am going to get it checked this week to get this over with.
      07-30-2019, 03:22 PM   #14
M3ANMACHINE
Admiral
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 + 2014 F15 X5

No, you will not pass at all with test pipes still installed.
2011 SG E90 M3 | 2008 AW E90 M3 | 2004 E46 M3
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 04:40 PM   #15
BimmerPaul
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 & E92M3 Competition

Will HFC's and a tune work?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 12:55 AM   #16
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerPaul View Post
Will HFC's and a tune work?
Most likely not in Cali. ALL parameters have to be ok to pass. Many states allow one reading not ok and will still pass.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 04:31 AM   #17
Boosted899
Rep
Drives: E93 BMW 335i convertible

I m a former and still currently license smog tech been doing smog since 2003 . Pm me your question. Or someone can start a new Post with common question or any question relating smog I can help answer all of your concerns. In return I need someone to code my Lci headlights and tail lights lol.
Appreciate 1
m3jala543.50
      07-31-2019, 07:12 PM   #18
omgzirra_exe
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 4.4L M3, IS300

Quote:
Most likely not in Cali. ALL parameters have to be ok to pass. Many states allow one reading not ok and will still pass.
my s2000 passed with headers, hfc, and hks hi power single.

but im not sure if you can with the m3 since you have a lot more going on.

im actually about to say frick it, and use my friends OEM XPIPE. rather not deal with the headache.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2019, 08:14 PM   #19
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weiss-Sinanju View Post
my s2000 passed with headers, hfc, and hks hi power single.

but im not sure if you can with the m3 since you have a lot more going on.

im actually about to say frick it, and use my friends OEM XPIPE. rather not deal with the headache.
What year was the S2000? Sweet car!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 12:15 AM   #20
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted899 View Post
I m a former and still currently license smog tech been doing smog since 2003 . Pm me your question. Or someone can start a new Post with common question or any question relating smog I can help answer all of your concerns. In return I need someone to code my Lci headlights and tail lights lol.
Can you plug into a car and see if it'll pass without sending anything to the mother ship?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2019, 02:28 AM   #21
sdbmwcoding
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted899 View Post
Can you plug into a car and see if it'll pass without sending anything to the mother ship?
You can check emissions readiness with a generic Bluetooth adapter and an obd tool from the App Store. I recommend torque on Android. Super easy to see if the car has all monitors passed which theyd check when they plug their system in. Even though you pass obd emissions readiness you can also fail due to aftermarket intake etc that doesn't have carb sticker though
Appreciate 1
aus889.50
      08-02-2019, 03:41 AM   #22
E92Gok
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 m3

I had this whole issue back in April as well, a smog shop did tell me as well they can do that. What they are referring too is that you remove your tune and keep your CATs do the driving period to reset your EVAP in hopes for them to pass your smog. But this is not possible because if you don't have primary cats and go back to Stock tune there is a very high chance your check engine light will turn on. Which then takes you back to Square 1. My suggestion is put OEM pipes,OEM tune. Reset your EVAP (there is a driving sequence to follow you can find online) and just get your car smog passed normally.
Appreciate 0