BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

07-01-2014, 09:36 PM   #23
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio View Post

sounds better than megan IMO
Ahh this video. I was wondering if there are any more. I would have gotten test pipes a long time ago I just keep hearing everyone complain about rasp. I honestly don't mind a little rasp, but I would I like to hear opinions from Dave or anyone else who has heard this setup in person
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 09:42 PM   #24
gazosnic
Major
Rep
Drives: bmw m3

If you leave the rest of the x pipe and cats stock id recommend OEM mod (perforated method). If you ever plan to do any cat removal etc like test pipes, def get the Megan.

I say this as I had the OEM mod... loved it on its own. Once i added TP's it sounded like shit and way too loud. Then paired w Megan and it sounds awesome. Only downside w megan is that there is a little drone around 2k rpm.
      07-01-2014, 10:00 PM   #25
Dave07997S
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 Ford Mustang GT

Quote:

Thats the straight through I believe.

You can hear some rasp in that video, it sounds like the camera didn't quite pick it up as well. I found the OEM straight through mod with TPs to be to much rasp. I like some rasp, just not that much. The OEM mod that just gets rid of one set of the perforation that sounded very good. To be honest I thought it sounded great...

Dave
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 10:01 PM   #26
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave07997S View Post
Thats the straight through I believe.

Dave
if you read the youtub comments the uploaded says its the 2 pipe method. test pipes make the car a lot louder
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 10:04 PM   #27
Dave07997S
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2020 Ford Mustang GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazosnic View Post
If you leave the rest of the x pipe and cats stock id recommend OEM mod (perforated method). If you ever plan to do any cat removal etc like test pipes, def get the Megan.

I say this as I had the OEM mod... loved it on its own. Once i added TP's it sounded like shit and way too loud. Then paired w Megan and it sounds awesome. Only downside w megan is that there is a little drone around 2k rpm.
Agreed, the Megan has a decent volume but more refined. For those who haven't heard this setup in person, really don't judge this exhaust by its price.

It really is just a re-badged Agency Power.
2004 BMW M3 Imola/Blk
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2014, 10:07 PM   #28
gazosnic
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by STooK View Post
Ok after some more research it seems like the OEM mod is just replacing the pipe and putting everything back including the wig. Hopefully I'm right this time!
Well that is one method. Perforated method. The other method is a bypass method which is basically straight pipes and much louder.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 10:08 AM   #29
Stilly
BPM stage 1 tune, Reversing camera, Exhaust Mod
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 Pure (comp pack)

Thumbs up OEM exhaust Mod

I recently did the OEM mod, and could not be happier. 0% drone and at 100 K/ph can not hear the exhaust unless accelerating.
I would have no probs recommending MOD.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2014, 06:52 PM   #30
WCM3
Î canŧ főcus mŷ attėntĭon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 Rubicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stilly
I recently did the OEM mod, and could not be happier. 0% drone and at 100 K/ph can not hear the exhaust unless accelerating.
I would have no probs recommending MOD.
Did you replace the perforated pipes or do the straight through (ACM) design?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2014, 08:56 PM   #31
X5-User
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCM3 View Post
Did you replace the perforated pipes or do the straight through (ACM) design?
+1 ...I am looking to know the answer as well. Perforated or ACM for zero drone?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2014, 09:10 PM   #32
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-M3 View Post
+1 ...I am looking to know the answer as well. Perforated or ACM for zero drone?
perforated
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2014, 09:48 PM   #33
keno
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '19 C63S AMG Coupe

I had the OEM mod originally, and later switched to a MS Test Pipes and Megan Race combo, it really is no contest - the Test Pipes/Megan combo is amazing.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 10:29 AM   #34
WCM3
Î canŧ főcus mŷ attėntĭon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 Rubicon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598 View Post
perforated
Thanks! I'm trying to keep the drone at a minimum so might try the perforated exhaust mod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keno View Post
I had the OEM mod originally, and later switched to a MS Test Pipes and Megan Race combo, it really is no contest - the Test Pipes/Megan combo is amazing.
Any sound clips? By any chance, did you try the test pipes while the OEM mod was on? Curious how that would sound.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 11:07 AM   #35
gazosnic
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCM3 View Post
Thanks! I'm trying to keep the drone at a minimum so might try the perforated exhaust mod.

Any sound clips? By any chance, did you try the test pipes while the OEM mod was on? Curious how that would sound.
I had test pipes w oem mod for about a week. Way too loud and unrefined. I have a video somewhere I just need to upload it.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 11:28 AM   #36
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

OP, it depends on 2 things.

Will you ever consider going test pipes or xpipe in the future? If it's even remotely possible that it can happen, just go with Megan exhaust. I've got a much more expensive setup than that, but I honestly think it's an amazing sounding combo. Would have definitely considered it at the time, but I've never heard one IRL at that point, and they were hard to get a hold of.

If you are sure you'll leave the cats on, then OEM exhaust mod (either method) is great too.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT

Last edited by W///; 07-14-2014 at 11:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 11:35 AM   #37
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd598 View Post
Ahh this video. I was wondering if there are any more. I would have gotten test pipes a long time ago I just keep hearing everyone complain about rasp. I honestly don't mind a little rasp, but I would I like to hear opinions from Dave or anyone else who has heard this setup in person
I wish people would not go by this video, I've seen it so many times and it's just not accurate.

First of all, look at what kind of picture quality that video is. The phone looks ancient, so I guarantee you the microphone will not pick up how the car really sounds.

I had ACM TP + ACM mod for about a month or 2 before I finally took it off. IMO it just doesn't sound good.

Let me put it this way. The S65 DESERVES a good exhaust combo. Isn't that the excuse E9x owners use to not go F80? When a you got the exhaust just right on the V8, it's a perfectly grilled ribeye. OEM mod + TP to me is like a a pound of sloppy joe. It's not inedible, but it's quantity (volume) over quality (tone).

Not to mention the rasp was loud enough to rattle some clips in the headliner at around 3k RPM, really annoying. No other exhaust combos did that for me.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 12:53 PM   #38
Mv8aw
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 e92 M3 ZCP

Quote:
I just got an ACM exhaust (straight pipe). I love the sound, a deeper tone down low, and screams up top. Its hard to explain the tones. You just have to hear it. The deep sounds down low dont sound like your typical domestic v8, or anything else really. I really like the range of the tones in this mod.

I will say this about drone.... if youre absolutely NOT used to having aftermarket exhausts, you will think it "drones". If you will be driving kids in the back of the car, you will most likely think its too loud.
On the other hand, If youre used to aftermarket exhausts and modifiying your cars, you will think its fairly quiet. Its very subjective as we all know.. But cruising at almost any speed, if you keep a steady speed and throttle, you can keep all drone out. Its when youre at lower rpms, for example 6th gear(6mt) and trying to get from 60-70mph when the exhaust hums. To me, its just at the maximum acceptance level.

Im located in nova and if anyone wants to hear one, let me know.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 01:42 PM   #39
X5-User
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mv8aw View Post
I just got an ACM exhaust (straight pipe). I love the sound, a deeper tone down low, and screams up top. Its hard to explain the tones. You just have to hear it. The deep sounds down low dont sound like your typical domestic v8, or anything else really. I really like the range of the tones in this mod.

I will say this about drone.... if youre absolutely NOT used to having aftermarket exhausts, you will think it "drones". If you will be driving kids in the back of the car, you will most likely think its too loud.
On the other hand, If youre used to aftermarket exhausts and modifiying your cars, you will think its fairly quiet. Its very subjective as we all know.. But cruising at almost any speed, if you keep a steady speed and throttle, you can keep all drone out. Its when youre at lower rpms, for example 6th gear(6mt) and trying to get from 60-70mph when the exhaust hums. To me, its just at the maximum acceptance level.

Im located in nova and if anyone wants to hear one, let me know.

I am also located in Nova, what part of NOVA are you in? I would love to hear your exhaust mod.

My concern is really on RASP more than drone. I know both don't have much drone but what I heard is ACM is a little bit raspy (someone correct me if I am wrong). It will be my DD and yes I will have my baby sitting the back. So I am not really sure which MOD to go with. I read on this forum a lot of reviews so I guess it is all subjective. Majority claim that perforated exhaust mod is less raspy but in sametime not as loud as what ACM offers.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 02:28 PM   #40
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I am also located in Nova, what part of NOVA are you in? I would love to hear your exhaust mod.

My concern is really on RASP more than drone. I know both don't have much drone but what I heard is ACM is a little bit raspy (someone correct me if I am wrong). It will be my DD and yes I will have my baby sitting the back. So I am not really sure which MOD to go with. I read on this forum a lot of reviews so I guess it is all subjective. Majority claim that perforated exhaust mod is less raspy but in sametime not as loud as what ACM offers.
If you do ACM mod alone, there's no rasp. It's actually a very deep, throaty V8 sound. It's not until you mess with cats that it will get raspy.

And Mv8aw said it perfectly. If you've never had an aftermarket exhaust before, ACM will be on the loud side and have resonance. If I had a baby back there riding all the time, I'd prob go 2 pipe method.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 02:53 PM   #41
Mv8aw
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

Im in falls church/alexandria area. I can demo for you if youre in the area. No rasp. Atleast not from inside, or when my friend rev'd for me while parked. Ive heard if u have the perforated method and add TP it will have crazy rasp, but ACM is supposed to be more of a deeper growl than the other method from all that i remember reading.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 02:53 PM   #42
Mv8aw
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
If you do ACM mod alone, there's no rasp. It's actually a very deep, throaty V8 sound. It's not until you mess with cats that it will get raspy.

And Mv8aw said it perfectly. If you've never had an aftermarket exhaust before, ACM will be on the loud side and have resonance. If I had a baby back there riding all the time, I'd prob go 2 pipe method.
Exactly what he said...
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 05:44 AM   #43
Golddots
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 m3

I'm in the alexandria/Springfield area if anyone would like to hear a Megan. I'll return the favor that another forum member did for me before I bought.

Mv8aw,

Could I hear your ACM? I'm tempted to hack at my OEM exhaust just to try something else.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 09:36 AM   #44
Mv8aw
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 414hpbabyshuttle View Post
I'm in the alexandria/Springfield area if anyone would like to hear a Megan. I'll return the favor that another forum member did for me before I bought.

Mv8aw,

Could I hear your ACM? I'm tempted to hack at my OEM exhaust just to try something else.
Yeah sure. Im willing to meet somewhere in springfield near the target or kingstowne area, that'll work for me since im there often and have to make a short trip out there to pick something up today or tomorrow.
Appreciate 0