BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > Australia

06-03-2014, 01:40 AM   #23
DaveDee
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5M Comp

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent_Orange View Post
I had never heard of AUSTFA, so if a product is made in the USA it doesn't attract GST regardless of cost?

Dave I didn't think everything was subject to import duty, only certain products? I once ordered a suit and shirts, both had different imports. 15 on the suit and 5% on the shirts due to different categories.

Can we just clarify that if you order an item worth $999 AUD, freight wont be calculated to form part of the total price and you won't pay GST on any of it. If it's over $1,000 the item will be subject to possibly import duty as well as GST which will be calculated on the total including freight.... do I have that right?
AUSFTA = Australia-United States Free Trade Agreement
AQIS = Australian Quarantine inspection service (they are supposed to check for soil on goods etc)

We have a reciprocal agreement with USA, anything that is manufactured here (entirely) or manufactured in USA (entirely) is free from import duty (5%) but everything is subject to GST once the estimated value hits 1K

Where if falls down, if you buy a set if wheels from USA and the rims were made in USA it is covered under AUSFTA but if you mount Michelin tyres that are made in France there is import duty on the tyres.

There is no GST on freight BUT... the estimated value of the freight is added to the price shown on the commercial invoice attached to the goods and the combined value is deemed to be the value of the goods. Say something worth $600 , if the freight is estimated to be $400 they add the 2 together and the goods are deemed to be worth $1000. And another twist, its the estimated value of the freight too, not what you pay for it.

Example a retail cost of Fedex freight might be $400, the supplier gets a 60% discount so the real cost of freight is $160 but the freight is still estimated at full retail. Large packages are hard to get through the system because of the estimated freight component. A bit long winded Chris but hope that clarifies

I know every item I've every brought in has been the subject of a dispute and the paperwork is a nightmare even with a pre printed Fedex weighbill
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 01:52 AM   #24
DaveDee
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I had never heard of AUSTFA, so if a product is made in the USA it doesn't attract GST regardless of cost?

Dave I didn't think everything was subject to import duty, only certain products? I once ordered a suit and shirts, both had different imports. 15 on the suit and 5% on the shirts due to different categories.

Can we just clarify that if you order an item worth $999 AUD, freight wont be calculated to form part of the total price and you won't pay GST on any of it. If it's over $1,000 the item will be subject to possibly import duty as well as GST which will be calculated on the total including freight.... do I have that right?
AUSFTA = Australia-United States Free Trade Agreement
AQIS = Australian Quarantine inspection service (they are supposed to check for soil on goods etc)

We have a reciprocal agreement with USA, anything that is manufactured here (entirely) or manufactured in USA (entirely) is free from import duty (5%) but everything is subject to GST once the estimated value hits 1K

Where if falls down, if you buy a set if wheels from USA and the rims were made in USA it is covered under AUSFTA but if you mount Michelin tyres that are made in France there is import duty on the tyres.

There is no GST on freight BUT... the estimated value of the freight is added to the price shown on the commercial invoice attached to the goods and the combined value is deemed to be the value of the goods. Say something worth $600 , if the freight is estimated to be $400 they add the 2 together and the goods are deemed to be worth $1000. And another twist, its the estimated value of the freight too, not what you pay for it.

Example a retail cost of Fedex freight might be $400, the supplier gets a 60% discount so the real cost of freight is $160 but the freight is still estimated at full retail. Large packages are hard to get through the system because of the estimated freight component. A bit long winded Chris but hope that clarifies

I know every item I've every brought in has been the subject of a dispute and the paperwork is a nightmare even with a pre printed Fedex weighbill
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 04:38 AM   #25
Morally Gray
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: AMG C63s Coupe

I'm like 90% sure the freight costs don't go towards the total cost of the item.

It's only if the cost of the item is over 1000 AUD that the freight is then added to the item and the whole lot is charged GST. link anyone?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 04:42 AM   #26
DaveDee
Major
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I'm like 90% sure the freight costs don't go towards the total cost of the item.

It's only if the cost of the item is over 1000 AUD that the freight is then added to the item and the whole lot is charged GST. link anyone?
Maybe Chris, this into is from Fedex though. All the stuff I bring in is always over 1K so this might be true but Fedex have never disclosed this
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 04:51 AM   #27
Morally Gray
Lieutenant
Rep

It seems they refer to something called 'VoTI' when the 'goods' are valued at more than 1000.

VoTI as they call it includes T&I but all references to goods valued under 1000 only refer to the item as 'goods'. Doesn't seem to include T&I + Cval as referenced for items (Goods) above 1000.

http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page5549.asp
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 04:54 AM   #28
Morally Gray
Lieutenant
Rep

It's sometimes worth asking if the shipper can increase the value of the T&I for a discount on the goods.. if you catch my drift.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2014, 05:55 AM   #29
DAL344
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C Pure

I've had 3 shipment sent from US recently.

1. No hassles & declared value must have been a typo

2. Only got tracking details today & when I got home Fed-EX letter saying they have no contact details & it needs customs clearance so if I don't contact them they may return to sender. Hopefully resolved now BUT I doubt they included the made in US declaration

3. Again shipment allegedly had no docs lodged & they need the invoice.... Waiting to hear back to fwd to Fed-EX.

Not sure if Fed-EX cocked up or the shippers... Saving $'s has it's downfalls I guess...
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 07:29 PM   #30
dolsonlelan
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW

Tyres from tirerack

Australian consumers will have to pay a 10% goods and services tax on all online goods bought from overseas. It means imports of goods worth less than $1,000, which are now GST-free, will no longer be exempt from the tax. There is an import limit for Australia and you won't have to pay anything until that amount. I suggest you check ACC customs clearance in Fremantle to help you with your papers.

Last edited by dolsonlelan; 07-26-2020 at 09:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 04:59 AM   #31
JJH
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: IB E92 M3 DCT; SG E90 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolsonlelan View Post
I don't know where to ask this but my wheels cost about AUD$1050(with my friend) do I really need to pay more just because it went over AUD$1000?
As you might have read elsewhere, you could be lucky and get away with being just over (as in your case) - sometimes you get picked up, sometimes maybe not - you being very borderline on the $1K limit.

Worst case, you get hit with a 5% import tax, then 10% GST on your $1050 (or whatever the exchange rate might be on the day the goods land).
      06-25-2020, 05:41 AM   #32
cplagz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3 AlpineWeiss 3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
1986 BMW 325  [0.00]
Yup luck of the draw, I've had stuff make it through no worries in excess of $2k declared and other stuff just over $1100 be picked up. A lot of the time it depends on who's shipping it, I find FedEx/DHL seem to get away with it a lot more.
Appreciate 0