BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

Mporium BMW

09-24-2017, 01:47 AM   #1
Megabrode
He's experimenting with something...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

Alternative to Dr. Colorchip?

I'm wondering what you detailing experts think about this alternative to Dr. Colorchip.

I swore I'd never get another black car because of the cosmetic upkeep. Yet I did, don’t regret it, and still get irritated by lots of pinhole chips on my Jerez Black beauty.

I've used Dr. Colorchip for years with other cars. You smudge a chip with thick paint and wipe with secret sauce to remove the excess. It works OK, and it's tedious for scores of minuscule chips. Then, during one long evening of colorchipping, I wondered, "Why not use this technique with something easier, quicker, and if possible cheaper?" So I tried the following:
  1. Dampen a microfiber towel with rubbing alcohol and clean a large damaged area, removing surface debris to reveal the actual chips.
  2. Use a fine-point Sharpie to apply ever so little permanent black ink to each tiny chip. This steps takes way less time than dabbing and smudging paint.
  3. Let dry 3-5 minutes.
  4. Dampen a clean microfiber towel with rubbing alcohol and smooth it over the whole area to remove the excess ink. This step takes moments, as opposed to the endless rubbing of dried paint.
  5. Finish with a quick detailer.
Result: Pinhole chips disappear completely, even under a powerful handheld lamp. The ink isn't an exact match, of course, but that doesn't seem to matter. I can’t find the repairs except with my fingertips. Pinhole chips that I covered in this way months ago remain invisible after much washing and waxing.

Seems like this method would work for virtually any basic color. Compared to Dr. Colorchip, it’s equally invisible, costs less, takes less time, and lasts indefinitely.

I'm still trying to come up with a downside to this method. Maybe you can.
Analog 2011 e92 M3 | Jerez Black | Black Novillo | 6MT | CF roof | No iDrive, Nav, M button, ZCP, EDC, or center hump | ZHP shift knob | OMP 1010 pedals | K&N filter | Dinan engine tune | OEM exhaust mod (bypass) | EAS exhaust tips | shaved front bumper | 19" Apex EC-7 | 12 mm rear spacers
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2017, 11:49 AM   #2
brplatz
Rep
Drives: C5 Z06

Garage List
2010 BMW M3 E92  [0.00]
I like this idea, especially for non-black cars.

Rock Chip Touch-Up Tool
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2017, 09:36 PM   #3
Megabrode
He's experimenting with something...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by brplatz View Post
I like this idea, especially for non-black cars.

Rock Chip Touch-Up Tool
This looks promising, although in the video it's hard to tell how undetectable the repairs are. I realize the only real solution is respraying the damaged areas. I will do that eventually. For now, my poor man's (and lazy man's) Dr. Colorchip delays the inevitable. At least I've got a guy who'll respray the bumper for a buck and a half.
Analog 2011 e92 M3 | Jerez Black | Black Novillo | 6MT | CF roof | No iDrive, Nav, M button, ZCP, EDC, or center hump | ZHP shift knob | OMP 1010 pedals | K&N filter | Dinan engine tune | OEM exhaust mod (bypass) | EAS exhaust tips | shaved front bumper | 19" Apex EC-7 | 12 mm rear spacers
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2017, 03:24 AM   #4
jradon
Private
Rep
Drives: 2series

How about automotivetouchup? I heard good things about it.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2017, 03:53 PM   #5
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

At the risk of sounding like an idiot, what is wrong with using BMW's touch-up paint and properly prepping the surface? What are these aftermarket kits like Dr. Colorchip offering that I can't just do myself?

10-14-2017, 10:37 AM   #6
shimmy23
F15 daddymobile
Rep
Drives: GS X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
At the risk of sounding like an idiot, what is wrong with using BMW's touch-up paint and properly prepping the surface? What are these aftermarket kits like Dr. Colorchip offering that I can't just do myself?

Dr color chip is much faster and easier to apply with simple tools that come supplied with the kit.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2017, 01:03 PM   #7
timothy2001
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 6MT ZCP

Garage List
2011 M3 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megabrode View Post
I'm wondering what you detailing experts think about this alternative to Dr. Colorchip.

I swore I'd never get another black car because of the cosmetic upkeep. Yet I did, don’t regret it, and still get irritated by lots of pinhole chips on my Jerez Black beauty.

I've used Dr. Colorchip for years with other cars. You smudge a chip with thick paint and wipe with secret sauce to remove the excess. It works OK, and it's tedious for scores of minuscule chips. Then, during one long evening of colorchipping, I wondered, "Why not use this technique with something easier, quicker, and if possible cheaper?" So I tried the following:
  1. Dampen a microfiber towel with rubbing alcohol and clean a large damaged area, removing surface debris to reveal the actual chips.
  2. Use a fine-point Sharpie to apply ever so little permanent black ink to each tiny chip. This steps takes way less time than dabbing and smudging paint.
  3. Let dry 3-5 minutes.
  4. Dampen a clean microfiber towel with rubbing alcohol and smooth it over the whole area to remove the excess ink. This step takes moments, as opposed to the endless rubbing of dried paint.
  5. Finish with a quick detailer.
Result: Pinhole chips disappear completely, even under a powerful handheld lamp. The ink isn't an exact match, of course, but that doesn't seem to matter. I can’t find the repairs except with my fingertips. Pinhole chips that I covered in this way months ago remain invisible after much washing and waxing.

Seems like this method would work for virtually any basic color. Compared to Dr. Colorchip, it’s equally invisible, costs less, takes less time, and lasts indefinitely.

I'm still trying to come up with a downside to this method. Maybe you can.

Brilliantly simple. I am getting my Jerez Black paint corrected and ceramic coating done Friday and will do this prior to.

Thanks for this.
Appreciate 0