BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

European Auto Source (EAS)

08-15-2022, 03:59 PM   #1
jmeenach
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Mystery "whirring" at 40mph

For the last month or so, I have noticed a higher-pitched whirring noise coming from my car that I can't seem to diagnose. The noise is faint and can only be heard from 40 to 45mph and it only occurs when I am on the throttle. If I let off the throttle, the noise goes away. I have produced the same sound in 4th, 5th, and 6th gear (6MT), so I have ruled out a transmission-related issue. Once I accelerate beyond 45mph, the sound goes away.

Has anyone else had a similar issue? I have searched the forum multiple times and haven't been able to find a potential fix... Any help is greatly appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2022, 06:25 PM   #2
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Is it coming from the front or rear? Or a particular wheel?

If rear might be differential whine.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2022, 08:07 PM   #3
jmeenach
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
Is it coming from the front or rear? Or a particular wheel?

If rear might be differential whine.
Honestly it's hard to tell. the sound seems to move around the cabin. I'll try to listen again on my way home and see if I can determine.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2022, 08:46 AM   #4
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep

Speed specific regardless of gears or rpm points to either wheel bearings or rear differential. Wheel bearing hum tends to get louder as speed increases, so I'm guessing rear diff.
Appreciate 1
chenium31.00
      08-17-2022, 02:15 PM   #5
jmeenach
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I took the car out last night after traffic cleared up and have confirmed it's coming from the rear. I also confirmed hub temps are the same left to right, so I'm assuming it is diff related. I will go through my service records from the previous owner, but I don't recall seeing a diff flush. I just hit 62k, so it's probably long overdue (though I recall reading in the manual that the diff doesn't need service?).
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2022, 06:29 PM   #6
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep

Bearings can wear out even at 62k. Or it might just be low on fluid or need some friction modifier. A good workshop will be able to tell you what needs doing.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2022, 02:36 PM   #7
jmeenach
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

OK, so I had my shop complete the diff flush, and it was apparent the diff has never been serviced. I am glad to have that done; however, the sound still remains.

My mechanic inspected the rear bearings while it was on the lift and didn't find any additional slop that indicates a bearing failure. That said, we took the car for a spin and he seems to think the left wheel bearing could be going bad, due to the location of the whirring within the cabin.

I am going to replace both rear wheel bearings for peace of mind and hope that does the trick (if not, I still have new bearings that won't need replacing soon). I am on FCC Euro's website and it appears many use the F.A.G. OE bearings P/N #33416775842.

From what I can tell, they are the same bearing as the BMW OEM unit but at a lower price. Does anyone have experience with these?
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2022, 05:01 PM   #8
jmeenach
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

NVM, I was able to go through a stickied post about OE parts and have confirmed that P/N is the same as the BMW-labeled part. Will be ordering today and will check back with an update once installed!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2023, 06:21 PM   #9
parkjake50
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 m3 zcp 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmeenach View Post
NVM, I was able to go through a stickied post about OE parts and have confirmed that P/N is the same as the BMW-labeled part. Will be ordering today and will check back with an update once installed!
update?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2023, 01:15 PM   #10
jmeenach
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkjake50 View Post
update?
Nothing to share yet. I've replaced both front hubs (one of which was bad), serviced my diff, and ordered rear wheel bearings that will go in next week.

The car decided to eat a chunk of pavement that was shot up by the car in front of me, which ripped out my skid plate, oil pan, one of my primary cats, and some other goodies underneath.... so the car is currently undergoing some major repairs that have slowed me trying to chase this issue. That said, it may be a good time for me to disassemble the rear diff and see if there is a bearing going bad there as well. ATM I'm just thankful there was no damage to the motor internals!!

As it relates to the P/N for the front hubs, the additional brake dust on the front right is now gone and I've had no issues. Would recommend if you are in the market for new front hub.
Appreciate 0