BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

Mporium BMW

05-31-2019, 02:44 PM   #133
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ximian View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyary View Post
with coupon I can get 4 x 275/30/19 for $850

The Kumo ECSTA PS91 are $192 at TR and i don't see a difference between the two

laptime they are all the same to me. All of these style tires including the PS4S put me at the 1:38-1:40 range dry. and all last about 2 days.

My days are 7 x 20 minutes session on 18 turns NYST.

so roughly all tires last 240 minutes. I some times skip the first 9am session

The Proxes RR are relatively cheap $230 but the size is odd - 235/35/19. The RR put me at 1:37. And my goal this year is 1:36

The rear last a long time
Why not switch wheels (and brakes) so you can have access to all of the track focused 18 inch tire options?
Why not buy a Porsche? I surely hit 1:36. No?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2019, 07:30 PM   #134
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
I don't think the comment was meant to be disparaging.

At a certain point, you are throwing good money at bad. Your current tire/wheel sizes limit you and aren't providing the performance you seem to want. Maybe 18" wheels aren't something you do now, but consider it for next season. The economics will work in your favor if you plan to do a lot of HPDEs and/or keep the car for a while.

I went through something very similar last year. After cracking each wheel on separate occasions (fatigue/stress from the track), and replacing the tires to the tune of $2k multiple times in one season, I decided that I had had enough and just went out to get a track setup. Now I can run a cheaper, stickier, and more durable tire AND I'm not constantly nervous about a wheel giving out mid-corner.
      06-01-2019, 07:27 AM   #135
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
Quote:

At a certain point, you are throwing good money at bad. Your current tire/wheel sizes limit you and aren't providing the performance you seem to want. Maybe 18" wheels aren't something you do now, but consider it for next season. The economics will work in your favor if you plan to do a lot of HPDEs and/or keep the car for a while.

I went through something very similar last year. After cracking each wheel on separate occasions (fatigue/stress from the track), and replacing the tires to the tune of $2k multiple times in one season, I decided that I had had enough and just went out to get a track setup. Now I can run a cheaper, stickier, and more durable tire AND I'm not constantly nervous about a wheel giving out mid-corner.
I think no matter what equipment I chose, it will have limitation. The point if HPDE, IMHO, is to maximize and manage the traction at a given day, at given track and given equipment.

I don't see why I continually been advised to change my equipment. Why not strip the car like Dogbone did? why not get a Corvette like, I think, you did? why not run E46 M3? etc etc.

I am on 19" wheels and I am always looking for the abandon knowledge of this board as it relates to the equipment I chose.

Once we starts with economic discussion, that has many many tangents I don't think is usable on an Internet community. Believe me, I can afford this activity because I am frugal and watch my expenses very carefully.

Having said that, I get so much info here on my E92 M3 that I sincerely appreciates all the feedback.

Anyway, today looks like a dry track day and being on my 3rd day on the front R888R 265/30/19 I can monitor wear to see if the alignment helped with the inside wear. Will upload a picture when I am do.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2019, 11:05 AM   #136
Bartledoo
Driver
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
I think no matter what equipment I chose, it will have limitation. The point if HPDE, IMHO, is to maximize and manage the traction at a given day, at given track and given equipment.

I don't see why I continually been advised to change my equipment. Why not strip the car like Dogbone did? why not get a Corvette like, I think, you did? why not run E46 M3? etc etc.

I am on 19" wheels and I am always looking for the abandon knowledge of this board as it relates to the equipment I chose.

Once we starts with economic discussion, that has many many tangents I don't think is usable on an Internet community. Believe me, I can afford this activity because I am frugal and watch my expenses very carefully...
You are the one who brought economics into the discussion if you read your own posts. You wanted to buy cheap street tires for the track, which you were informed will not actually be cheap in the long run and will perform worse (i.e. minimizing grip on track rather than maximizing it as you seek to do).
Appreciate 2
kyippee1073.00
bigjae19761569.50
      06-01-2019, 11:28 AM   #137
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartledoo View Post
You are the one who brought economics into the discussion if you read your own posts. You wanted to buy cheap street tires for the track, which you were informed will not actually be cheap in the long run and will perform worse (i.e. minimizing grip on track rather than maximizing it as you seek to do).
17s are the most economical choice for a tire that is wider than a 255 and around 25" in total diameter. The hard part is finding 17x10 wheels. Apex sells a 17x10 that's light but they're not always in stock.

Just can't use 380mm BBKs.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2019, 11:29 AM   #138
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Once we starts with economic discussion, that has many many tangents I don't think is usable on an Internet community. Believe me, I can afford this activity because I am frugal and watch my expenses very carefully...
I followed that advise
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2019, 11:30 AM   #139
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Tire wear at the track

Quote:
Quote:

I followed that advise
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2019, 07:56 PM   #140
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Very happy with the results of my alignment:
I am going to stick to it as a base line and see what it does to my RR slicks.

Aligment specs:
-3.0 front
-2.0 rear
0 Tow.

Tire wear:
Front, R888R - a bit more on the inside but this includes two days in the rain and one day dry

Rear, RR - about 5 track days. The cord is on the inside, but the outside is about spent as well
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-01-2019, 08:06 PM   #141
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Inside:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-01-2019, 08:07 PM   #142
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Outside:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-02-2019, 03:52 PM   #143
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep

I'd flip them to get more even wear. Tread direction won't make much difference in the dry.
      06-02-2019, 03:57 PM   #144
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'd flip them to get more even wear. Tread direction won't make much difference in the dry.
Meh, I had these two R888R from last year and i just wanted to get rid of them. I am done with experimenting with 265/30/19.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 01:02 PM   #145
Ximian
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:

Pretty much this and not at all meant to be disparaging. I don't recall all the details from previous threads, but it seems your brakes are limiting you to certain tire sizes where you don't have many options. What you're left with is using street tires under scenarios where you're the first person to experience them.

Are you going to find someone that runs Kumo PS91s on a car with a similar setup to yours? I doubt it. Are you going to find someone that runs 18" NT01s or Pirelli slicks in a similar car (or what your car will turn into in the next year or two)? Yes and there are plenty of people around here you can ask. Put the stock brakes back on your car, get similar tires to what everyone else is using, and you're going to have much more useful feedback from the community if you have questions.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2019, 01:05 PM   #146
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ximian View Post
Quote:

Pretty much this and not at all meant to be disparaging. I don't recall all the details from previous threads, but it seems your brakes are limiting you to certain tire sizes where you don't have many options. What you're left with is using street tires under scenarios where you're the first person to experience them.

Are you going to find someone that runs Kumo PS91s on a car with a similar setup to yours? I doubt it. Are you going to find someone that runs 18" NT01s or Pirelli slicks in a similar car (or what your car will turn into in the next year or two)? Yes and there are plenty of people around here you can ask. Put the stock brakes back on your car, get similar tires to what everyone else is using, and you're going to have much more useful feedback from the community if you have questions.
Thank you
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2019, 09:48 AM   #147
rymerc
winner of many hpde trophies
Rep
Drives: 08 e90

Quote:
The PS91 is a much newer tire. It's not a high-end performance tire and hence is cheaper -- I think it's a PSS knock-off, honestly. I'm sure some others can chime in with how it holds up at the track.
The ps91 is a fine alternative to the MPSS if you want to save some money. I've done a few hpdes on my set, and they held up fine for a 20 minute session but if overdriven during a 25-30 minute session I could get them greasy and they will chunk a bit. I'm at 5k street miles and 3 track days and I'll get another HPDE maybe some autox and some street miles before they're dead. They have lost a noticeable bit of performance being 3 years old, at least 2 seconds at mid-ohio compared to when they were fresh.

For the price, I think the indy500 is a faster more durable tire. I got my ps91s on sale with a rebate and they were around $700ish shipped.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2019, 10:54 AM   #148
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rymerc View Post
Quote:
The PS91 is a much newer tire. It's not a high-end performance tire and hence is cheaper -- I think it's a PSS knock-off, honestly. I'm sure some others can chime in with how it holds up at the track.
The ps91 is a fine alternative to the MPSS if you want to save some money. I've done a few hpdes on my set, and they held up fine for a 20 minute session but if overdriven during a 25-30 minute session I could get them greasy and they will chunk a bit. I'm at 5k street miles and 3 track days and I'll get another HPDE maybe some autox and some street miles before they're dead. They have lost a noticeable bit of performance being 3 years old, at least 2 seconds at mid-ohio compared to when they were fresh.

For the price, I think the indy500 is a faster more durable tire. I got my ps91s on sale with a rebate and they were around $700ish shipped.
I can't find any better price/performance for a 275/30/19 than this for 20 min sessions.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 05:52 AM   #149
bigjae1976
Major General
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.25]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
There's your problem...those tires are not designed to take extended periods of high loads which generate a lot of heat.

It sucks but you need a 140 or a cheater 200 treadwear tire if you want to get longer life.

I would argue your expectations are high if you're buying tires produced in 2015.
2000 E36/7 Z3 Steel Blue
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 06:11 AM   #150
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
There's your problem...those tires are not designed to take extended periods of high loads which generate a lot of heat.

It sucks but you need a 140 or a cheater 200 treadwear tire if you want to get longer life.

I would argue your expectations are high if you're buying tires produced in 2015.
First, this is only one of my problems. I have many.

My expectations from the PS91 is to be my rain tires. In the wet and rain I don't see generating enough heat to worry about it. I am also not concerns with best lap times but manage traction in slippery condition. This can be done with $143 tires just as good as $300 tire. I don't care about road miles.

In the dry I am settled on the RR slick which is a small tire for me. I am planning on using Hoosier 265/35/19 but that requires carefully calculating clearance and I am not ready to tackle that project yet.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 08:03 AM   #151
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Tire wear report.
Assuming that my alignment has not changed.
So -3.0 front, 2.0 rear and 0 Toe
The front 235/35/19 wear is even.
About half way I rotated the fronts. But not the rears.
Triangles on both sides still visible
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-12-2019, 07:25 PM   #152
dbyrd
DSC Off!
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 6MT ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpewpew View Post
Yea, this is weird, but I don't know what Toyo RR like for pressure. I run NT01 at 25 cold, 35 hot and I get very even wear. End up cording the rear tires first, on the inside.
Does anyone have more feedback on hot pressures for Toyo RR?

I'm running them for the first time on Monday. 3750 pounds with old man in the left seat. With no further info, I'll aim for 33-34 hot.
MCS 1WNR with 600/900 spring rates / Vorshlag camber plates / Apex ARC-8s with MSI studs / Stoptech Trophy ST-60/ST-40 / Cantrell Motorsports Brake Duct Kit / Cobalt Friction XR1, XR2s or PFC-11 pads / UUC Corsa axle-back with Fabspeed HFC and x-pipe / Schroth Quick Fit Pros / HANS Sport II / AA green filter / Coolshirt with large bag / Aim SoloDL with SmartyCam / CSF Radiator
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2019, 09:55 AM   #153
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Tire wear report.
Assuming that my alignment has not changed.
So -3.0 front, 2.0 rear and 0 Toe
The front 235/35/19 wear is even.
About half way I rotated the fronts. But not the rears.
Triangles on both sides still visible

Are you using a tire pyrometer when you come off the track?
      06-14-2019, 02:28 PM   #154
redpriest
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3/Porsche 992 GT3RS

Garage List
Kumho PS91 are fine as an emergency track tire, and I've used them many times when my track tires corded unexpectedly - but ... they will wear out fast when used for this purpose. I would say you can probably get 5-6 sessions before they start to give out. They are not economical for long track runs.

18" tires are going to give you far more options and frankly, are far more economical than moving platforms are gonna be.
instagram.com/titomanlio
Appreciate 0