BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

09-15-2017, 09:01 PM   #1
beats
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 911 GTS

Nurburgring - what a track...

Hey guys, just thought I'd do a quick write up on my recent trip to Germany. My lovely and understanding wife let me plan a trip (my 40th b-day) around a trackday, and although I can say the entire trip was amazing, the day at the Ring was the highlight.

I have heard too many stories about tourist days, so I ended up booking a trackday with trackdays.de. Contrary to the days I have run in North America, this group didn't really have any prequalification or different run groups. Nor did they really have any passing rules (ie pass anywhere, with or without point-bys). Fortunately, the group seemed pretty experienced, and I felt it went better than a lot of days with regimented groups here (ie BMW).

I managed to get on the track the night before for a taxi lap with Dale Lomas in a Jaguar F Type SVR. It was a monster, we chased a GT3 around, but the weight of the Jag was too much to keep up... Being on the track in real life was nothing like any of the iRacing or youtube videos I had seen. It is surreal, or at least I felt. The elevation changes and constant turns are mind numbing, especially as a driver which I found out the next day.

I looked at various rentals, but ended up renting from Rent 4 Ring (great guys to rent from). I had planned on renting something I felt was fun and safe, a Suzuki Swift track car, but ended up switching to a Stage 2 BMW 125i track car the night before. It was a blast, about 1,200kg and 210hp with Sport Cup 2 tires, and clubsport suspension. I booked instruction for the first hour, which I would definitely do again. It helped with giving guidelines for tricky corners in the event of rain, and giving courage to keep the throttle on through the 60 or so blind corners... The track itself was in a lot better shape than I expected. Lots of grip, and smoother than it looks online. Flugplatz, Fuchsrohre and Kleiner Sprunghugel were my favorite sections, the latter is crazy as you have to wait for the car to land/suspension to load up before you can brake to turn - what a blast.

My wife did a lap with me (her first track lap ever), and hated every minute of it. She's glad she did it, but would never ride passenger on that track again.

As with most track days, everyone was very friendly, and most spoke English. Only 2 wrecks, both of which happened at the end of the day, and ended up shutting the track down for the last 1.5 hours while they fixed the Armco.

We also went to the Black Forest for a day, and rented one of the new Porsche GTS's (the 3L turbo) in a cabrio. The new GTS is a monster, the torque was awesome for the mountains, instant power, and in spite of the turbos still sounds pretty good. A lot better than the BMW turbos. Handling was notably better than my E92 M3 (even with my MCS setup). As others have said too, our DCT doesn't even come close to PDK, the shifts are so smooth and quick. I wouldn't ever buy a cabrio for a daily, but in the Black Forest and Autobahn it was a great. We had the Porsche for 24hrs, and 500km and we took total advantage of it. We spent a lot of time driving from town to town in the Black Forest and ended up driving back at night. As fun as those twisty roads are during the day, at night, when there is NOBODY on them, they are even better.

Germany was a great country overall, people were very helpful and friendly, the food was great, and the driving even better. It's amazing how well highways can work when people are considerate of each other...
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
roastbeef11584.50
redpriest2145.50
FMLYSDN1181.50
chamba002238.50
      09-16-2017, 07:09 AM   #2
VictorH
Major
Rep
Drives: '09 M3

Sounds like you had a great trip. I was just in Germany last week too. Did the BMW Norschleife experience with the Performance Center. I was with the Mike Renner group and Donnie Isley had the other American group. It was truly an international gathering. They had groups from China, Argentina, UK, I think there was a group from New Zealand and then two to three German groups and the two US groups.

Overall the experience was outstanding. We did some sightseeing on Tuesday along the Rhine, it's big wine country where they grow Riesling and then on Wednesday we went to Spa. Another amazing track. Car rentals were available through RSR motorsports, Ron Simons is the proprietor and runs a really good program. Like the OP noted the track days are interesting. Windows are UP, much nicer, no point-bye needed just make sure you can make a safe pass ANYWHERE. It was honestly very orderly and safe. Evidently if you are a maniac and causing trouble for yourself or others those people still get a talking to and if they don't change they are asked to leave.

Nordschleife is really an experience. The track is incredible. So many really fast turns. Yes, there are plenty of blind corners and the elevation change you don't get a sense of in any of the videos but it's impressive. There's one short hill that has a 31% grade, massively steep. The other thing you note is that this track really was designed by someone who knew what they were doing (it was constructed in the late 1920s) as it really has such a nice rhythm and flow. The only other thing that was striking is that the track is really pretty narrow. Mostly it's about 2 to 2 1/2 lanes wide. Despite all that the track is not really as intimidating as I thought it might be. It's really super fun and the scenery is incredible. It's like driving on a race track inside a really big park.

Once I figure out how to resize my photos I'll post a few. Hope OP doesn't mind.
Appreciate 1
FMLYSDN1181.50
      09-16-2017, 07:23 AM   #3
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

looks like a great trip. congrats!
      09-16-2017, 07:39 AM   #4
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

On my bucket list but wasn't sure how to start planning.

At least this post gives me some direction how to start. Perhaps even we can use this OP to start a list of "how you plan a Germany vacation if you have e92 M3 and take it to US track days"

I would LOVE not reinventing the wheel and learn from whom ever did this already.

For example, i don't know if i would think about taking the Taxi the day before. But it sounds like a good idea.

List of things to avoid would be very helpful to maximize the track experience.

Lastly marrying the right wife, being 40 again and securing good weather comes to mind as well.

Last edited by rhyary; 09-18-2017 at 05:54 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2017, 09:25 AM   #5
VictorH
Major
Rep
Drives: '09 M3

My list based on what I learned
1) Respect the ring. Cars crash all the time there and the highest at risk are those who are justing starting to "know the ring."
2) The rain line on the Nordscheife is way different than the dry line (I've run both).
3) Avoid tourist days on the weekends. Evidently they are crazy with a huge mix of all different vehicles plus motorcycles. Weekdays and evenings are much better.
4) Go to the Spa too, it's less than 100 miles away from the N-Ring.
5) Tour the area, the Rhine river and Mosul river areas are very scenic
6) No regular rental cars on the ring. If you have an incident the liability factor can be huge. Evidently they try to screen out rental cars if they determine you're in a rental.
7) Plan for all sorts of weather rain and dry alternate all the time.
8) The Lindner Motorsports hotel at the Ring is pretty nice and rates are not bad. Very nice breakfasts.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2017, 10:22 PM   #6
beats
Lieutenant
Rep

I looked at lots of other (faster) cars to rent, but when you start factoring in the deductible (I think RSR had a $35,000 euro deductible on a quasi stock E92 M3) costs can potentially get out of hand quickly. Nobody ever thinks they will go off, but you should plan for worst case. The deductible on the car I took was $10k euro which I felt was manageable (you have to factor in track damage too). I hadn't planned on the taxi lap the day before, but made it into the area in enough time to set it up. I'm glad I did as it gave me perspective on the track, and made it apparent how much better the track days are vs the tourist days. There are good drivers on the tourist days, its just that much more to manage with so many cars (of varying skill levels) with you.

As for weather, we were in Germany for 12 days, and only 2 were rain, but it poured those two, and they were right after my track day so I was very thankful. But as VictorH said, the rain line can be quite different, so having an instructor booked is a good idea if you are new to the track IMO.

There are quite a few hotels close to the track, we stayed at Hotel zur Burg Nurburgring, it was literally across the road from Rent 4 Ring and 200m from RSR Nurburgring. It was clean, cheap, and most importantly close to the track. We ate at Restaurant zur Nurburg for 2 nights. It seems like the local hangout and had lots of race themed decorations. The food was great German food. Plus it was very close to the track, and although you couldn't see cars, you could hear them which was pretty cool during dinner (see pic).

It was weird driving windows up, especially since signal lights are the opposite of what I was used to (signal the side you are staying on) but you get used to it quickly. Plus, it's pretty nice driving with AC on

There is a lot to do in the area if you bring a wife or significant other. We did a Rhine river cruise, and stayed a few nights in the Schonburg castle in Oberwessel. That in itself was an amazing experience. The castle dated back almost 1,000 years. Crazy... We also did BMW and Porsche museums, although Porsche was a lot better IMO. At least for Motorsport enthusiasts.

It really is an experience unlike any other track one I have experienced. If you like driving, you should try and make it there at least once in your life...
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
FMLYSDN1181.50
      09-17-2017, 10:17 AM   #7
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Sounds great Scott.....
We're currently blasting through mountain passes in Italy.
Will be up to Spa and the 'ring later in the month.
I like your idea about getting a ring ride before heading out on track.
...will look into it when we get there.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2017, 06:30 PM   #8
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Thanks OP and VictorH.
How much does all this cost?
Track time, rental car, instructor for an hour?

Some day I'll do Euro delivery... when BMW builds a car I want to buy again.

PS: Did they really put BBS FI's on a track renal?? One bad off could be $$$$.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2017, 09:37 PM   #9
beats
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by inTgr8r View Post
Sounds great Scott.....
We're currently blasting through mountain passes in Italy.
Will be up to Spa and the 'ring later in the month.
I like your idea about getting a ring ride before heading out on track.
...will look into it when we get there.
Have fun! Kind of wish I had made the trip over to Spa... Next time The taxi thing just happened to work out, but was good. I emailed about 5 companies the night before and 2 responded.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2017, 09:41 PM   #10
beats
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Thanks OP and VictorH.
How much does all this cost?
Track time, rental car, instructor for an hour?

Some day I'll do Euro delivery... when BMW builds a car I want to buy again.

PS: Did they really put BBS FI's on a track renal?? One bad off could be $$$$.
All prices in euros; track $850, car $450 incl 100km, each km after $4/km, instructor $150/hr from what I recall. It was a lot more than a track day here, but it was pretty sweet not having to do anything but show up, and no clean-up / maintenance at the end of the day! Only other costs were fuel, and the 2l is a lot easier on gas than my S65 pig. Having said that, it would have been awesome having my own car there...

One bad off and the wheels are the least of my worry
Appreciate 1
aus889.50
      09-17-2017, 10:35 PM   #11
Saandiaago
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3 ZCP DCT

Thanks for the write up. Looks amazing. This might need to go on my bucket list.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2017, 08:09 PM   #12
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

i've though about this before and decided when i go (future date to be determined), i will be tracking a cheap car. might be a little less thrilling, but just as fun and exciting.
      09-18-2017, 08:23 PM   #13
PsychCA
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 6MT - M3 F80 ZCP 6MT

I have tracked the Green Hell so many laps and had become a real addict to that wonderful cars fanatics world.
Too bad I am so far away from it now...

The essential behavior on the Nordschleife is to remain humble and never overestimate our racing ability.

Enjoy driving on that track should be the leitmotiv for any driver.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2017, 08:54 PM   #14
beats
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
i've though about this before and decided when i go (future date to be determined), i will be tracking a cheap car. might be a little less thrilling, but just as fun and exciting.
That was my thought with the Swift, but then I got there, and saw how fast these guys were driving and figured a little bit more power would lessen the rate of point-by's I had to give. Sometimes being in the middle of the pack (in terms of speed) is the safest place. It's like driving on the highway, if you are the fastest or slowest, there is a lot more to worry about in terms of traffic management... IMO anyway.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 06:32 AM   #15
Jangobipbip
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3 Schirmer GT

Greatest track in the world and the most impressive by far. Glad you enjoyed it !
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2017, 08:49 AM   #16
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

Ah yes. You're bringing back happy memories

My Rent4Ring experience was great, those guys are the real deal, and the Opel (similar setup, R888's, some cooling mods and a tune, half-cage race seats and harnesses and suspension with a partial gut) was magnificent and hard to crash, and I tried (they replaced these with the 1ers a while back). Big proponent of the easy-to-not-crash car if you're going to rent. Because people are dumb and there are sometimes motorcycles scattered across blind corners. even with about 200bhp the only time I had to point somebody by was when I got balked by a train of slows; got him back after karussel, way easier to be committed when you know the car isn't going to bite mid-corner or on corner-exit. It was a drying-line day, there had been rain overnight and the trees were dripping on the track most of the day so it was not a place I would want to have been in my car without a cage and race safety gear, too easy to get to 130+mph in these pigs

Must go back

My wife rode shotgun all 15 of my laps and drove one herself at her comfort level. That was before we had kids though, brave

Last edited by Richbot; 09-19-2017 at 09:01 AM..
Appreciate 1
beats225.00
      09-19-2017, 08:59 AM   #17
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
I had some acquaintances who purchased a cheap car, leave it in germany and all share it for laps at Ring/Spa when one of them happens to be in country, I don't know what they have now but the scheme started out with a 1.8 miata
      09-20-2017, 09:05 PM   #18
admranger
Retired Curmudgeon
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 X3M40i, ‘18 m550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychCA View Post
The essential behavior on the Nordschleife is to remain humble and never overestimate our racing ability.
I did the old BMW Club Europa 3 day 'ring school two years in a row (02 M3 and 03 ZHP). Your statement is absolutely correct. There's no where on that track where a mistake doesn't equal body work.

Tourist days are a CF in comparison to the school. We'd go over a section of track, running lead/follow for a period of time, then move on to the next section. It was all orchestrated brilliantly. Running the tourist days before/after the school made one appreciate the school. School ended when the track was sold, unfortunately. Serious bit of work to put it on and BMW AG, ADAC, etc. were all involved. Open laps during the lunch period were the best!

'19 X3 M40 Carbon Black/Oyster, '23 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit, Past BMWs: '18 M550i, '18 330 GT, '16 X5 40e, '11 E90M3, '06 X5 4.4, '03 330i ZHP, '02 M3, '97 Z3 2.8, '95 M3 (2x), '94 530i (manual), '92 525i (manual), '88 M3, '87 325iS
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2017, 04:27 PM   #19
MPower7
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11' e92 M3

I did the Ring in July for my Third track day in a e46 m3 think we were doing high 8's. Was very glad I had the track memorized. I learned on I-Racing using Porsche Cup car with no ABS and it def helped immensely although not nearly as tough as preached.

I strongly recommend doing a track day vs the tourestfahren. It was the most lay back track day I've done out of any in the states, they handed us a envelope and said have fun! Just make sure to MEMORIZE EVERY TURN BEFORE GOING!
Appreciate 0