BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

11-18-2010, 10:39 PM   #1
atalladega
Private
Rep
Drives: m3

High beams sometimes work sometimes not. HELP!

Ok, I've had my m now for about 7 months it's a 2009 coupe. Im new to the board and have tried searches for this problem but i cant seem to find anything.

My high beams will work sometimes, wether I pull for the "flash" or push it forward to stay on. Doesn't matter what setting the switch is on. If the low beams are on sometimes if you pull the lever or push it forward for the high beams it will be like a flicker for a second then back to low beam. Sometimes it will just go full high beam! then if it is working and I try to switch low hi low hi several times, it will work for a while then flicker then no response. the blue light comes on on the dash. Just no change from low to high. Anyone have any ideas? Anyone have a similar problem? Anyone ever solved this problem. I do not have the auto dimming. Btw, the auto leveling works, the panning left right also works. Just the high beams, no go.

Please someone have an answer,

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2010, 12:03 AM   #2
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Something wrong with the switching mechanism, since low and high beams are one and the same. Since they're not noisy when switching, I assume they're driven by a servo motor, rather than an electric one (clack, clack, like Acadias, etc). I understand they all are part of a sealed unit, so most likely the whole thing has to be replaced. Take it in if you can duplicate the problem at will. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2010, 06:55 PM   #3
atalladega
Private
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Something wrong with the switching mechanism, since low and high beams are one and the same. Since they're not noisy when switching, I assume they're driven by a servo motor, rather than an electric one (clack, clack, like Acadias, etc). I understand they all are part of a sealed unit, so most likely the whole thing has to be replaced. Take it in if you can duplicate the problem at will. Good luck.
Oh jeez, I'd hate to have to replace these things! I'm sure that's not cheap! I hope it's just a loose connection.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 02:06 PM   #4
dinkoh
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 e90 lemon/black

Bring back an old thread since I have this problem now. What happened?
Appreciate 0