BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

BPM

06-07-2019, 10:27 AM   #9505
slicer
Major General
Rep
Drives: 'E46 M3 Race Car, '23 X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jid2 View Post
Where is the best place to tap into the CAN signal, I still need to do it on my AIM.
M-world makes a plug and play harness to do it without splicing factory wires. I made my own.
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11490.00
      06-07-2019, 10:44 AM   #9506
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

About Left Foot Braking,
I started left foot braking in October last year on my daily car. And soon enough, any car. Rentals, etc.

The beginning was awful. So clumsy. So abrupt.
I am a lefty, I play soccer and my left foot is my dominant foot. I could not believe how out of control my left foot was behaving.

But, I am stubborn, persistence, and I don't mind experimenting and learning. So by the end of the winter, I found myself left foot braking in situation I did no have time to think about.

That told me I am ready for the track, and the first track day this year I was left foot braking and have been so far please with the technique.

My challenge is to let go of the brake smoothly and I am working on it with moderate success.

I do find myself with both feet active on the paddles and in the correct direction. As I ease off the brakes, I add gas at the same time.

In Aim, I study three variables in relation to timing. Steering Angle, Brake Pressure and Throttle %.

This is why I am never bored at a track day. I pretend to be Lewis Hamilton (just slower) and I find things to work on no matter what the weather like, wrong tires diameter, mix and match tires types, lousy brake choices, you name it, I am doing it wrong. But I have so much fun.
Appreciate 1
      06-07-2019, 11:41 AM   #9507
dogbone
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M3 - IB

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
Thanks. Is the software performing smoothing? Can you turn that off or reduce the smoothing factor?

I've never used the AIM software. I am more familiar with Cosworth's Pi Toolbox but I assume it's similar.
I called AIM to ask them your question about smoothing. They say they don't smooth ECU data. They asked for the session so they could take a look. I sent it to them. We'll see what they say.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 12:57 PM   #9508
Ximian
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
2021 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer View Post
M-world makes a plug and play harness to do it without splicing factory wires. I made my own.
Do you have a diy you referenced? It's not something the shop I'm using offers so I'll have to do the work myself. With the plug and play harness from m-world, the whole thing is $800 which might be the easiest option.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 01:21 PM   #9509
dparm
Stop the hate, get a V8
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Corvette GS, AMG C63 S

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbone View Post
I called AIM to ask them your question about smoothing. They say they don't smooth ECU data. They asked for the session so they could take a look. I sent it to them. We'll see what they say.
Thanks. Keep me posted. Pi Toolbox doesn't smooth either, but you can actually do it by changing the resolution downwards on the math channel or using an operator to "round" the values off.

10Hz should be fast enough to not have weird overlap like that.
      06-07-2019, 01:28 PM   #9510
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dparm View Post
Thanks. Keep me posted. Pi Toolbox doesn't smooth either, but you can actually do it by changing the resolution downwards on the math channel or using an operator to "round" the values off.

10Hz should be fast enough to not have weird overlap like that.
It is possible that the brake pedal just takes its sweet old time to return fully to the neutral position. It IS a 10 year-old car.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 03:46 PM   #9511
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ximian View Post
Thanks for the information. The Solo 2 DL package comes with a OBDII connector and it should support throttle and brake pedal position sensors. Does it on our cars without splicing into the CAN? I don't need speed and RPM, only throttle and brake position for now.
Don't get the OBD connection. Do it right. You want CAN. The CAN harness can also be wired to provide power to the device while driving. There is NO reason to tie your hands with OBD. A shop can wire it for you very quickly if you're not comfortable doing the wiring.

+1. Direct wire to CAN is by far more useful as data is severely limited with OBD2 approach. Here's some inspiration for you. I hard wired mine to the center speaker location on my non-nav car that doesn't have a center speaker. It is held in place via a RAM mount that is attached to the unused speaker bracket. I remove the AIM and install a clean, unmodified center cover when not in use. Pardon the background mess in the garage - haha

[img]https://live.staticflickr.com/7823/4...6ff8159c_b.jpg[/img]Solo2 DL by slicerM, on Flickr

[img]https://live.staticflickr.com/7860/4...97b8b06c_b.jpg[/img]Solo2 DL by slicerM, on Flickr
Lol how do you reach that when you're harnessed in?
Why would I need to reach it? I put the screen in lap timer mode while on track. It's visible in my line of site, has shift lights, all good.
I would forget to turn it on after strapped in. Sometimes I forget to close the door lmao
      06-07-2019, 03:50 PM   #9512
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Get a used solo DL not the 2. I think the 2 has fancier things but measure the same data.

But a hardwired canbus harness from mworld after that.

Plenty of solo DL used for sale.
I'm keeping an eye out for those, but I've been finding them for $500 or so which means it makes more sense to get the new Solo 2 DL.
Should be some for less. My brother has the 2 and I was fed up with how much time I had to spend to get it to work without having to learn new things.

I also charged it a week ahead of time only to learn that even though it was never turned on, it had lost it's full charge! Wtf
      06-07-2019, 03:51 PM   #9513
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Do you have a diy you referenced? It's not something the shop I'm using offers so I'll have to do the work myself. With the plug and play harness from m-world, the whole thing is $800 which might be the easiest option.
Mworld has instructions. It's easy I just followed it.
      06-07-2019, 04:05 PM   #9514
slicer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I would forget to turn it on after strapped in. Sometimes I forget to close the door lmao
Quote:
Should be some for less. My brother has the 2 and I was fed up with how much time I had to spend to get it to work without having to learn new things.

I also charged it a week ahead of time only to learn that even though it was never turned on, it had lost it's full charge! Wtf

Do you use a Solo DL or the regular Solo (non-DL)? The DL is hooked up to Can Bus and turns on automatically any time the car's ECU is active. Lap timing begins automatically when the car is in motion. There's nothing to 'turn on'. Is the Solo DL not the same?

I would recommend anyone hard-wire the power to avoid any issues with the battery. However you definitely want to unplug the unit when not in use or be sure to wire to switched power that will only be active when the car is on. Otherwise It will drain your car's battery since it automatically turns on whenever the ECU does anything.... which to me is the most annoying aspect of the AIM. I wish it could be turned off completely while still plugged in.
'04 M3 - Fall Line Motorsports Built Race Car - S65 swap, Dry Sump, Bosch Stand-Alone ECU, Drenth Sequential Trans, MCS 3-Way, Flossmann Wide Body, Brembo Motorsports Brakes, Drexler LSD, BBS E88 Etc.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M

Last edited by slicer; 06-07-2019 at 06:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 04:09 PM   #9515
slicer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
DIY here:
https://www.m3post.com/forums/showth...ht=aim+solo+dl

I made my own PnP harness with BMW parts. No DIY for that. Just need to know your stuff
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 04:10 PM   #9516
ThunderMoose
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: PY E46 M3 and SG E46 M3

Quote:
Do you use a Solo DL or the regular Solo (non-DL)? The DL is hooked up to Can Bus and turns on automatically any time the car's ECU is active. There's nothing to turn on. Lap timing begins automatically when the car is in motion. I would recommend anyone hard-wire the power to avoid any issues with the battery. However you definitely want to unplug the unit when not in use. It will drain your car's battery since it automatically turns on whenever the ECU does anything.... which to me is the most annoying aspect of the AIM. You should be able to turn it completely off.
The E46 is nice in this respect. I am able to leave it connected all the time without it draining the battery. I do however usually disconnect it anyways at end of track weekend otherwise it occasionally will start the camera when I load up car on the trailer. I have several hours of in car video of my car being pulled down highway.

It's amazing to me how many folks don't hardwire these to power. Almost everyone of my buddies that used the M World harness and instructions only wired the can and then complained about forgetting to charge it before the weekend.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 04:13 PM   #9517
slicer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderMoose View Post
The E46 is nice in this respect. I am able to leave it connected all the time without it draining the battery. I do however usually disconnect it anyways at end of track weekend otherwise it occasionally will start the camera when I load up car on the trailer. I have several hours of in car video of my car being pulled down highway.

It's amazing to me how many folks don't hardwire these to power. Almost everyone of my buddies that used the M World harness and instructions only wired the can and then complained about forgetting to charge it before the weekend.
Exactly. Hard wiring to power is far easier than wiring to CAN. Not sure why people stop there...
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 06:26 PM   #9518
dogbone
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
2009 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
I would recommend anyone hard-wire the power to avoid any issues with the battery. However you definitely want to unplug the unit when not in use. It will drain your car's battery since it automatically turns on whenever the ECU does anything.... which to me is the most annoying aspect of the AIM. I wish it could be turned off completely while still plugged in.
As far as the car battery, I think it depends on where you wire the AIM for power. Mine does not charge unless the ignition is fully on or the engine is running. In my car, if the AIM sniffs CAN data and turns on, the AIM will die. Nothing will happen to the car battery.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 06:31 PM   #9519
trm0053
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: ///M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jid2 View Post
Where is the best place to tap into the CAN signal, I still need to do it on my AIM.
I've got m-world wiring harness for sale here -> https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?p=24884678
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2019, 06:56 PM   #9520
slicer
Major General
Rep

Quote:
As far as the car battery, I think it depends on where you wire the AIM for power. Mine does not charge unless the ignition is fully on or the engine is running. In my car, if the AIM sniffs CAN data and turns on, the AIM will die. Nothing will happen to the car battery.
Shoot, good point. I also wired mine to switched power therefore it's true that it won't drain the car battery. It will drain the AIM battery only.
INSTAGRAM - @Slicer_M
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2019, 06:44 AM   #9521
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Do you use a Solo DL or the regular Solo (non-DL)? The DL is hooked up to Can Bus and turns on automatically any time the car's ECU is active. Lap timing begins automatically when the car is in motion. There's nothing to 'turn on'. Is the Solo DL not the same?

I would recommend anyone hard-wire the power to avoid any issues with the battery. However you definitely want to unplug the unit when not in use or be sure to wire to switched power that will only be active when the car is on. Otherwise It will drain your car's battery since it automatically turns on whenever the ECU does anything.... which to me is the most annoying aspect of the AIM. I wish it could be turned off completely while still plugged in.
Yes, Yes, and Yes.
Sound advice from the BBS man.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2019, 06:50 AM   #9522
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Mounting to the cap holder works very well for me.
It is removable
There is a bolt with two plates sandwiching the cap holder and the AiM is mounted to the plate.

I can reach the button to flip the screens.

I have three screens I flip:
1. Lap information
2. Potentiometers display one for each corner
3. Car vitals. (temps etc)

Having unreachable buttons would drive me crazy just on principle. :-)
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      06-08-2019, 07:22 AM   #9523
ThunderMoose
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: PY E46 M3 and SG E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhyary View Post
It is removable
There is a bolt with two plates sandwiching the cap holder and the AiM is mounted to the plate.

1. Lap information

Lol you love to misspell cup! It's cup not cap.

All kidding aside. Very nice setup!
Appreciate 1
      06-08-2019, 08:02 AM   #9524
VicS5
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

Quote:
Quote:
It is removable

1. Lap information

Using speech recognition software?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2019, 08:40 AM   #9525
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicS5 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
It is removable

1. Lap information

Using speech recognition software?
Yes. RaceVoice.
working with the developer and giving him my usual "Here is where it needs to be better" so it can be useful.

It is very impressive as it connects to the Aim system on CAN 2. But because NYST has 18 turns and they are close, it talks too much :-)

So I shrank each turn closer to the appex and made choices on the entry, min speed and exit.

For example, if you turn on exit on a turn, and entry speed on the next turn the announcement comes too close. If you add minimum speed, it calculate that after the exit. etc.

Work in progress but excellent technology.

Lastly, I adjusted the brake alarm as well. I started at 1200 psi but this is full press on. Not much to learn there. I them moved of down to 1000 psi, but I found that 800 psi is the most interesting since that is a soft hard brskes where the car is still leveled and does not stand on its nose.

The system is track aware. So I am loading NYST and or comes with all the turnns, which I the modified and saved as NYST-dry. I also have NYST-wet.

The ability to save a track was not there and is something that within 2 days of getting it to work I was already on the developer to make that a priority. Another option was to let me transmit the saved settings. The way I got it it was first loading the settings from the device, overwriting my settings, then transmitting the settings to the device. Meh. I did not line that behavior.

I integrated the RaceVoice into the SmartyCam microphone and my stereo system via the Aux In. So on the track, I set the stereo to Aux In and hear the RaceVoice in the speakers. At the same time, it is also being recorded on the SmartyCam.

Anyway, the RaceVoice is a realtime application, so the key thing is select the specific segment you want to work on. Otherwise it becomes a chatty couch you turns off stop listing to.

It is a very promising technology, but I am paying attention on how it can help, not just being cool.

More on this later as I get more experienced with the technology. The developer is focused on racing. I am focused on HPDE. So we are coming to the product from two different angles. Racing you are focusing on winning. HPDE you are focused on maximizing the learning while engaging in expensive hobby
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2019, 08:53 AM   #9526
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I want to publicly thank roastbeef for finding Future Classics solution to the M12 front hub weakness. I thought about Rogue Engineering solution but did not like it. Too much drilling.

My brakes hubs are already M14 ready so NO drilling.

I think Future Classic came up with the perfect and elegant solution.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
roastbeef11586.00