BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

08-05-2018, 12:22 AM   #45
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

[QUOTE=Rainer M;23542179]
Quote:
Originally Posted by derbo View Post
Are you sure the updates are "lifetime" ?
I am certain that someone needs a subscription to the data service for this to work.
So you pay for it in one way or another
Easier to update the whole map by yourself.

The ota update also only updates your region.
In our case not even the neighbor state Oregon. But they include Hawaii. Lol, like we all ship our cars back and fourth between island and mainland.
I am sure I would drive to Oregon before I need my car in Hawaii. What a brain fart from BMW to create the region like this.
As lifetime as BMW calls their fluids!

My guess is that the lifetime of the 4G service would be the true lifetime. I would imagine it would be similar to how BMW Assist for the E9X generation is phased out with the 2G/3G service.
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2018, 12:26 AM   #46
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2023 G81 M3 Touring

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOF-M3 View Post
So, laptop, download and then what? How do you hook up from computer to vehicle?
Basically you transfer the contents of each DVD to a USB stick (has to be in the root directory, so only one DVD on the USB at a time). Run the update process, and when it asked for disc 2/3/4, either replace the contents of the USB stick with the next disc worth of data, of load up separate sticks so you can just swap and keep going.

I got my FSC using this method.

https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1461515
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2018, 11:38 AM   #47
pjk380
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

I finished the upgrade to North America 2018 maps using the link from above. The Nav on these cars is a little outdated and I don’t use it much but I decided to upgrade the map anyways. Mine had 2009 map. The build of my M3 is 1/28/2010 and I recall seeing somewhere the CIC firmware needed to be updated if vehicle build was before 3/2010 or 4/2010. The install worked fine without upgrading firmware.

I download the zip files – the FSC generator, MAPS & 1b file from previous posts link – https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1461515

I followed the instructions to pull 1b file from USB port in the glove box, then used key generator for FSC code. Generating the FSC code was a little odd as I had to go back and forth in the Generator software fields several times before it created the code. Once I had the code and extracted the North America 2018 map part 1 onto a USB stick, I began the install. It took a couple minutes for the CIC to recognize the USB stick but once it recognized it, it prompted me for the FSC code. I plugged in the code, which it accepted and it began to copy the contents of the USB stick. You definitely want two USB drives as it takes quite a while to copy the files over. It took over 1 hour and I had the car hooked up to my trickle charger. I didn’t want the car running the whole time as I was not completely convinced the upgrade would work. I expected the install to take a lot longer but it went pretty smoothly.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2018, 07:29 PM   #48
MJBO
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2023 G81 M3 Touring

Garage List
The update to 2018 maps transformed my nav. It came with the original 2011 maps that were woefully out of date, now it’s genuinely useful!!

I still miss RTTI and connectedDrive for sending destinations from my phone though
Appreciate 0