BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

09-20-2020, 12:37 PM   #1
GTBrandon
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' M3 Competition

Rotors for Occasional Track Use

I'm looking to upgrade/replace my rotors, and will be doing 3-4 DE events a year on the car. I have PFC08 pads and motul fluid already, but seeing now that the rotors might be the biggest limiting factor.

Question is: Do you go with FCP OE rotors for unlimited replacement, PFC DD V3, Girodisc, the new Tuner rotors, or something else.

Was thinking about a BBK but I don't think it's worth the money just yet, and think doing some sort of rotor replacement is the best option, let me know if I'm wrong though.

Past: 13' Audi S6 | 13' E70 X5M | 13' E92 M3 Comp | 14' BMW 335xi GT | 95' E36 M3 | 84' BMW 733i | 06' Porsche Boxster S | 15' Jeep Grand Cherokee | 06' Acura TL |
85' Honda Shadow VT700 | 05’ Yamaha R6 | 12’ Triumph Tiger
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2020, 01:03 PM   #2
Bartledoo
Driver
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
For 3-4 events a year, I'd go fcp oe rotors and run pfc 11 after killing the 08's, for higher temp range vs the 08.
      09-21-2020, 12:17 AM   #3
911r
Captain
Rep
Drives: slowly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartledoo View Post
For 3-4 events a year, I'd go fcp oe rotors and run pfc 11 after killing the 08's, for higher temp range vs the 08.
+1, this plus FCP's "unlimited rotor" thing means you don't have to worry about wearing out the rotors. Hard to beat imo for 3-4 events per yr. without spending a lot more money.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 08:29 AM   #4
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

A set of PFC V3 will last almost forever. This is likely the same overall effect as an entry level bbk. I've seen cars run in the faster PCA groups with PFC DD rotors without any issues.

The cheapest option for sure is the FCP OEM rotor, however, the OEM rotor does not cool very well and once you aren't a beginner it will not dissipate enough heat. The PFC DD one cools way better so it will allow more pace. At 3-4 days a year it will last longer than the car.
Appreciate 1
911r889.00
      09-21-2020, 08:32 AM   #5
GTBrandon
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
A set of PFC V3 will last almost forever. This is likely the same overall effect as an entry level bbk. I've seen cars run in the faster PCA groups with PFC DD rotors without any issues.

The cheapest option for sure is the FCP OEM rotor, however, the OEM rotor does not cool very well and once you aren't a beginner it will not dissipate enough heat. The PFC DD one cools way better so it will allow more pace. At 3-4 days a year it will last longer than the car.
For this option what do you run in the rear, just OEM rotors? Having trouble finding anything 2-piece besides the ECS ones.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 08:43 AM   #6
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTBrandon View Post
For this option what do you run in the rear, just OEM rotors? Having trouble finding anything 2-piece besides the ECS ones.
Yes, OEM

The rear sees very little heat compared to the front.

I used to track an E46M3. At first the front rotors were hot enough to singe the hair off my leg by standing near them, meanwhile the rears seemed almost cool in comparison. Then I got front PFC DD rotors for the front and immediately the front became cooler than the rears.
On the E9X I used a front bbk from the beginning in one of the cars and kept the oem rear, it worked perfectly fine.

To make an example, if you are trying to drop 2:08 at VIR you probably need a front BBK. If you aren't there yet, the PFC DD will work great and be more cost effective.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 09:10 AM   #7
GTBrandon
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, OEM

I used to track an E46M3. At first the front rotors were hot enough to singe the hair off my leg by standing near them, meanwhile the rears seemed almost cool in comparison. Then I got front PFC DD rotors for the front and immediately the front became cooler than the rears.
On the E9X I used a front bbk from the beginning in one of the cars and kept the oem rear, it worked perfectly fine.

To make an example, if you are trying to drop 2:08 at VIR you probably need a front BBK. If you aren't there yet, the PFC DD will work great and be more cost effective.
Gotcha, I'd guess I'll be closer to 2:20ish next weekend at VIR but we'll see.

Thanks!

Past: 13' Audi S6 | 13' E70 X5M | 13' E92 M3 Comp | 14' BMW 335xi GT | 95' E36 M3 | 84' BMW 733i | 06' Porsche Boxster S | 15' Jeep Grand Cherokee | 06' Acura TL |
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11468.50
      09-21-2020, 09:53 AM   #8
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Gotcha, I'd guess I'll be closer to 2:20ish next weekend at VIR but we'll see.

Thanks!
That sounds perfect for the PFC DD

Another advantage of the PFC DD is the pads will last longer than using OEM rotors. They don't have the 'cheese grater' effect and won't reach as high temp as the OEM either.

BBKs look cool, but if we were all buying things purely from a utility point of view most people would have the PFC DD rotor and call it a day.
Appreciate 2
94jedi829.00
      09-21-2020, 11:06 AM   #9
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

Quote:
Yes, OEM

I have the Racing Brake rear rotors. They save significant weight on my car, 7lb total, vs. OEM rotors. That's why I bothered with it, for the weight savings. It's definitely overkill and my car will probably swallowed up by the sun along with the rest of the earth before I need to replace them. They've got 15,000+ miles on them (can't recall, but it's a good amount) and a track day and have absolutely no perceptible wear at all. The machining checks are just now starting to wear off.

I'd be tempted by that Turner rear setup, but it looks like the same exact hat in the rear as the ECS rotor, just with a slotted ring, which didn't save any weight at all on my car even when cross-drilled. The extra vanes are nice I suppose.

I will say, it is absolutely possible to reach the limits of what the rear calipers can handle with good pads and fluid, but you're going to have to be on somethign like a hoosier and you're going to have to be going pretty fast for pretty long. For the casual track dayer, the rear kits are just one of those nice-to-haves to keep the ca rhappy and make pad swaps simple, definiteyl not a must have.

The turner fronts seem like a different rotor/hat entirely to the ECS setup, at least look a lot like the AMG Brembo full-floaters. That seems worth trying out, especially for the cost. It's also right in line with what the Brembo replacement front AMG rotors cost. I wonder if somebody has started knocking those off in some faraway land, and has ported it over to other applications that go through a lot of rotors/upgrades.

Last edited by Richbot; 09-21-2020 at 11:46 AM..
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11468.50
      09-21-2020, 11:09 AM   #10
GTBrandon
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
I have the Racing Brake rear rotors. They save significant weight on my car, 7lb total, vs. OEM rotors.

That said, it's definitely overkill and my car will probably swallowed up by the sun along with the rest of the earth before I need to replace them. They've got 15,000+ miles on them (can't recall, but it's a good amount) and a track day and have absolutely no perceptible wear at all. The machining checks are just now starting to wear off.

I'd be tempted by that Turner rear setup, but it looks like the same exact hat in the rear as the ECS rotor, just with a slotted ring, which didn't save any weight at all on my car even when cross-drilled. The extra vanes are nice I suppose.

The fronts seem like a different rotor/hat entirely to the ECS setup, at least look a lot like the AMG Brembo full-floaters.
I actually just got off the phone with Turner, they do not sell replacement rings for those so you're buying a brand new set every single time, with arguably less cooling than a PFC or Giro. They also won't be available until April of 2021 due to machining issues, so out of the question for me at least as I need these ASAP.

I just wish I could grab a pair of slotted rears to match the fronts. I'm about to pull the trigger on some Girodisc fronts from Bimmerworld, and most likely just OEM rears from FCP unless there's another option.

Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 06:27 PM   #11
former 240 s14
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 Comp E92 & 2008 E90 S65

Quote:
I actually just got off the phone with Turner, they do not sell replacement rings for those so you're buying a brand new set every single time, with arguably less cooling than a PFC or Giro. They also won't be available until April of 2021 due to machining issues, so out of the question for me at least as I need these ASAP.

I just wish I could grab a pair of slotted rears to match the fronts. I'm about to pull the trigger on some Girodisc fronts from Bimmerworld, and most likely just OEM rears from FCP unless there's another option.
Just spoke to Henry at Bimmerworld today, the Girodisc are on intergalactic back order, trying to find the PFC DD myself within the next couple weeks.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2020, 06:34 PM   #12
GTBrandon
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by former 240 s14 View Post
Just spoke to Henry at Bimmerworld today, the Girodisc are on intergalactic back order, trying to find the PFC DD myself within the next couple weeks.
Uh oh..I just ordered my Girosisc’s from BW this morning lol. I really hope that doesn’t include my order, will have to check tomorrow.

Let me know if you find the DD’s as if the above is correct then I’ll need a set as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 11:46 AM   #13
former 240 s14
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Uh oh..I just ordered my Girosisc’s from BW this morning lol. I really hope that doesn’t include my order, will have to check tomorrow.

Let me know if you find the DD’s as if the above is correct then I’ll need a set as well.
So after a solid day of looking the only upgraded stock rotor replacements that met what I was looking for was the ECS 2 piece setup. You can swap out rings if they ever get too low and are reasonably priced.

Hope this helps!

Rubin
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 01:14 PM   #14
tdott
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
So after a solid day of looking the only upgraded stock rotor replacements that met what I was looking for was the ECS 2 piece setup. You can swap out rings if they ever get too low and are reasonably priced.

Hope this helps!

Rubin
how much are the replacement rings and where can you buy them?
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 02:11 PM   #15
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post
Unless something changed, ECS is not doing replacement rings. You can buy a new set (hat and ring assembly) for a $50 discount or something, last I checked.

I'm not sure I have a big issue with this - replaceability isn't such a big concern for me, but cost is, and this doesn't save much cost vs. rotors that DO offer replaceability.
      09-22-2020, 05:14 PM   #16
911r
Captain
Rep
Drives: slowly

Quote:

How long is "almost forever" when it comes to daily driving & 3-4 track days per year? 100k miles? Any major difference between PFC & Girodisc from what you've seen--they seem fairly similar in deisgn & price.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2020, 06:49 PM   #17
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911r View Post
How long is "almost forever" when it comes to daily driving & 3-4 track days per year? 100k miles? Any major difference between PFC & Girodisc from what you've seen--they seem fairly similar in deisgn & price.
PFC is the best stuff I've used, and I've used mostly everything out there.

The PFC DD would last forever if you only use it for the track. If you use it for the street as well eventually you'll wear it down the way OEM rotors get worn on the street. It's at the track where you really see the durability difference due to the superior metallurgy of the PFC rotor -machined with no oils whatsoever- and the superior cooling of PFC vs OEM.

Girodisc is also good. If I had the choice I'd still buy PFC, the rotor is simply better full stop, but PFC is pulling back from the aftermarket and may not be available. If it is not, Girodisc is the way to go.
That BW now offers Girodisc vs PFC tells me that point has already arrived, unfortunately.

Unfortunately PFC built the best stuff but if you can't buy it then it's time to move to the next best thing. So sad.
Appreciate 1
911r889.00
      09-23-2020, 08:40 AM   #18
GTBrandon
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just as an update, my Girodiscs are shipping out and will be here in a week. So not sure if I got the last pair or if maybe you got the wrong information. Hopefully this doesn’t jinx it, but I’ll update when I actually have the rotors on my doorstep.

Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 08:42 AM   #19
GTBrandon
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
PFC is the best stuff I've used, and I've used mostly everything out there.

The PFC DD would last forever if you only use it for the track. If you use it for the street as well eventually you'll wear it down the way OEM rotors get worn on the street. It's at the track where you really see the durability difference due to the superior metallurgy of the PFC rotor -machined with no oils whatsoever- and the superior cooling of PFC vs OEM.

Girodisc is also good. If I had the choice I'd still buy PFC, the rotor is simply better full stop, but PFC is pulling back from the aftermarket and may not be available. If it is not, Girodisc is the way to go.
That BW now offers Girodisc vs PFC tells me that point has already arrived, unfortunately.

Unfortunately PFC built the best stuff but if you can't buy it then it's time to move to the next best thing. So sad.
Yeah I was told that the DD’s are no longer available. I believe if you get an order of 10 sets they will make them, but unless you get a GB going every time you want replacement friction discs, it’s unlikely any shop will drop 10k for your one set.

Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 09:04 AM   #20
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I was told that the DD’s are no longer available. I believe if you get an order of 10 sets they will make them, but unless you get a GB going every time you want replacement friction discs, it’s unlikely any shop will drop 10k for your one set.
It's sad to hear they're NLA

Anyway, Girodisc is still good quality, you will be good to go!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 11:55 AM   #21
former 240 s14
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdott View Post

You have to contact ECS directly, not 100% sure what the cost is.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2020, 11:57 AM   #22
former 240 s14
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
Unless something changed, ECS is not doing replacement rings. You can buy a new set (hat and ring assembly) for a $50 discount or something, last I checked.

I'm not sure I have a big issue with this - replaceability isn't such a big concern for me, but cost is, and this doesn't save much cost vs. rotors that DO offer replaceability.
This is what I saw when I ordered:

"Ready for a re-ring? ECS offers discounts on pairs of replacement rotors to the original customer or customers showing proof of ownership. Please contact the Sales Department for additional information."
Appreciate 0