BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 Marketplace > SPONSORS Classifieds/Groupbuys/Specials Area > Engine | Drivetrain | Exhaust

09-03-2009, 12:41 PM   #45
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Sounds good. You guys should also check around the forum later for some new reviews. We have a few absolutely thrilled customers that were just tuned in New Jersey. All I heard was "I love it, i love it, i love it, oh my god its so much smoother than before".

1. TXM32B
2. TLud
3. King Tut
4. Nucking Futs!
5. Ajax-Prime

Anyone else?

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 12:47 PM   #46
frankzlin79
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

I'm a bit confused now, and it's probably a matter of nomenclature. What is a standard tune v. Custom tune v. dyno tune?

To me, standard tune sounds like you program the car with a standard tune without consideration of our mods.

To me custom tune sounds like we tell you what mods we hve and you program the car without a dyno.

A dyno tune sounds like the custom tune plus the use of a dyno.

So Mike, are we looking at $800 for a custom tune and $990 + dyno time for a dyno tune?
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 12:58 PM   #47
BPMSport
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankzlin79 View Post
I'm a bit confused now, and it's probably a matter of nomenclature. What is a standard tune v. Custom tune v. dyno tune?

To me, standard tune sounds like you program the car with a standard tune without consideration of our mods.

To me custom tune sounds like we tell you what mods we hve and you program the car without a dyno.

So Mike, are we looking at $800 for a custom tune and $990 + dyno time for a dyno tune?
You got that one right!

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 01:49 PM   #48
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '12 Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankzlin79 View Post

Frank, let me try to clear up your confusion here. Mike, feel free to correct me if I mistate anything.

Powerchip offers what is known as a standard or generic tune, which is made for the E9X M3 generally. I'm sure they also have a number of variations of this standard tune which account for various modifications, like air filters, aftermarket mufflers and mid-pipes, etc. Essentially, a standard tune is a one-size-fits-all type solution and will get your car pretty close to maximum performance. It is a very quick and easy process with a quick pre-loaded software flash through the OBDII port.

These standard tunes are initially created by putting a template or demo car on a dyno and playing with the fuel map, timing, and other settings to optimize engine performance over the entire load range. This is what you are referring to as a custom or dyno tune. That tune, while customized to that particular car, can be used as a standard or generic tune on other similarly modified cars of the same model.

While standard tunes will get your software pretty close to optimal because our cars are essentially the same, no two cars are exactly like (your car isn't exactly the same as the car the standard tune was original prepared on, even if both are stock or modified the same), so additional performance benefits can be found by custom tweaking the settings on your car specifically. Obviously, this has to be done on a dyno and requires going into your various engine management maps and modifying specific settings based on repeated dyno runs. The biggest benefit to a custom tune isn't so much the increased power (the standard tune will get you most of the way there), but rather improved feel. A custom tune will allow you to smooth out the torque and power curves.

As far as pricing, if I understand Mike correctly, Powerchip is offering the standard tune (basic flash with a standard map -- no dyno required) for $800. If we get enough people signed up, Powerchip would send someone out here personally and the custom tune would be $990 plus the cost of the necessary dyno time wherever the work is done. If we have fewer than 8 people interested in a custom tune, Powerchip would do the tune remotely (we'd put our cars on the dyno here and Powerchip would modify the settings remotely from California) and it would cost a bit more (unclear how much though).
      09-03-2009, 01:52 PM   #49
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax-Prime View Post
Ok, I'm in, but we need to keep this on the dl or my fiancee is gonna flip.

It will be followed by
If we do this, we have to go in together. That way neither of us has blackmail material on the other.
      09-03-2009, 01:54 PM   #50
BPMSport
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLud View Post
Frank, let me try to clear up your confusion here. Mike, feel free to correct me if I mistate anything.

Powerchip offers what is known as a standard or generic tune, which is made for the E9X M3 generally. I'm sure they also have a number of variations of this standard tune which account for various modifications, like air filters, aftermarket mufflers and mid-pipes, etc. Essentially, a standard tune is a one-size-fits-all type solution and will get your car pretty close to maximum performance. It is a very quick and easy process with a quick pre-loaded software flash through the OBDII port.

These standard tunes are initially created by putting a template or demo car on a dyno and playing with the fuel map, timing, and other settings to optimize engine performance over the entire load range. This is what you are referring to as a custom or dyno tune. That tune, while customized to that particular car, can be used as a standard or generic tune on other similarly modified cars of the same model.

While standard tunes will get your software pretty close to optimal because our cars are essentially the same, no two cars are exactly like (your car isn't exactly the same as the car the standard tune was original prepared on), so additional performance benefits can be found by custom tweaking the settings on your car specifically. Obviously, this has to be done on a dyno and requires going into your various engine management maps and modifying specific settings based on repeated dyno runs. The biggest benefit to a custom tune isn't so much the increased power (the standard tune will get you most of the way there), but rather improved feel. A custom tune will allow you to smooth out the torque and power curves.

As far as pricing, if I understand Mike correctly, Powerchip is offering the standard tune (basic flash with a standard map -- no dyno required) for $800. If we get enough people signed up, Powerchip would send someone out here personally and the custom tune would be $990 plus the cost of the necessary dyno time wherever the work is done. If we have fewer than 8 people interested in a custom tune, Powerchip would do the tune remotely (we'd put our cars on the dyno here and Powerchip would modify the settings remotely from California) and it would cost a bit more (unclear how much though).
Thank you for the post. You are correct on every account.

The remote tune will be slightly more expensive, but let's see how many people we get and hopefully we'll see you in Texas.

I do want to point out, however, that the $800 tune is a custom tune fitted to your mods for cars that do not have changes to the emissions system (cats/headers). For cars with changes here, it will be slightly more. But I'm working with you guys to keep costs down and get you the best bang for your buck. That's why it's best for us to come out your way if there is enough interest.

The retail Stage II price is $1490, and Stage I is $990. For those of you that qualify for stage II, I'll be able to knock $300 off which brings us to 1190 and 800 respectively.

remember that dyno tuning is usually $500 more per car, but if we have enough interested, I'll waive that totally.

Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 02:23 PM   #51
Ajax-Prime
Hydrocarbon Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: Still waiting on Stuttgart...

Is the Stage II flash just for those with 'amended' exhaust systems? And if say down the road I decide to add an intake/filter, is that materially going to alter things enough to throw off this tune? I really wouldn't think so, but, as long as we're askin questions....

FWIW, all I've done is an Eisenmann Race, which I may be switching out to a Sport.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 02:31 PM   #52
JC919
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: CSL

Just to confirm, my car is currently stock besides pulleys and will have the filter and scoops within a week. What hp numbers will I be looking at? I read your PM from earlier, but I just want to see if it is worth doing this prior to getting my exhaust installed.
2002 M5, SSII/Blk and bone stock. In storage back home in TX
2008 M3, AW/Blk 6MT, lots of track stuff SOLD
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 02:32 PM   #53
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Is the Stage II flash just for those with 'amended' exhaust systems? And if say down the road I decide to add an intake/filter, is that materially going to alter things enough to throw off this tune? I really wouldn't think so, but, as long as we're askin questions....

FWIW, all I've done is an Eisenmann Race, which I may be switching out to a Sport.
Stage II flash would be for those people who've swapped out their entire exhaust for aftermarket and lost their cats/sensors. You're exhaust is an axle-back system only, so you'd only need teh Stage I. I seriously doubt there would be a very significant difference between the Sport and Race models for purposes of the tune. As far as the intake/filter, most (if not all) of your gains will be from the aftermarket filter, which you can get for $100 and takes less than half an hour to slap on. I'd do that anyways before the tune.
      09-03-2009, 02:48 PM   #54
MMMorish
Just call me J.J. McClure
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & C4 Corvette

Quote:
Ok, I'm in, but we need to keep this on the dl or my fiancee is gonna flip.

It will be followed by
Dude, everything I do to this car has to be kept on the dl because my fiance is no different then yours
MODS: Meisterschaft GT Racing Exhaust / BMC Air Filter / UUC SSK & DSSR (Modded)/ RPI Scoops / Passport SRX Hardwired / Custom Wrap 3M Clearbra / 20% Tint / 50% Windshield Tint / Key Hole Delete / Matted Out Accessories / VRS Type II Diffuser / Smoked Reflectors / Euphoria 6K LED Interior Lights / Rear Fog Light Mod / 6000K HID's / 6500K LUX H8 Angel Eyes / RDash License Plate LED Kit / LED Xenon Reverse Lights
"M3 drivers have no friends"
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 02:52 PM   #55
BPMSport
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Stage II flash would be for those people who've swapped out their entire exhaust for aftermarket and lost their cats/sensors. You're exhaust is an axle-back system only, so you'd only need teh Stage I. I seriously doubt there would be a very significant difference between the Sport and Race models for purposes of the tune. As far as the intake/filter, most (if not all) of your gains will be from the aftermarket filter, which you can get for $100 and takes less than half an hour to slap on. I'd do that anyways before the tune.
Exactly.

Remember that a car that has HFC's but does not throw a check engine light still qualifies for Stage I.

As far as the air filter/scoops and things like that, they are within the ECU's adaptation tolerances and the car will automatically adjust to the added airflow and compensate with additional fuel if necessary.

The microprocessors in these DMEs are not only extremely complex, but they are very smart and know exactly what's happening every millisecond. There is no fooling it. And this is especially true on the E9x M3's and the E6x M V10 motors running on the MSS60 and MSS65 control units.

Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 03:06 PM   #56
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@Powerchip View Post
Sounds good. You guys should also check around the forum later for some new reviews. We have a few absolutely thrilled customers that were just tuned in New Jersey. All I heard was "I love it, i love it, i love it, oh my god its so much smoother than before".

1. TXM32B
2. TLud
3. King Tut
4. Nucking Futs!
5. Ajax-Prime

Anyone else?
I'm adding myself to get dyno tuned by you guys Mike!

1. TXM32B
2. TLud
3. King Tut
4. Nucking Futs!
5. Ajax-Prime
6. Nawaaz
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 03:29 PM   #57
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawaaz View Post
I'm adding myself to get dyno tuned by you guys Mike!

1. TXM32B
2. TLud
3. King Tut
4. Nucking Futs!
5. Ajax-Prime
6. Nawaaz
Well played, sir. A custom tune is a wise decision with all the modifications you're making.
      09-03-2009, 04:07 PM   #58
Ajax-Prime
Hydrocarbon Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: Still waiting on Stuttgart...

Quote:
By 'amended' I was referring to headers, hfc's or none at all. Anyways, filter is ordered. Do we have an ETA for all this?

Tom, we're riding Zube sat 7am 45 miles if you're interested.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 04:10 PM   #59
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well played, sir. A custom tune is a wise decision with all the modifications you're making.
Thanks Tom. It took me a lot of research to exactly understand all the different types of tunes and how a custom dyno tune would be best for my M3 and its mods.

See you in Houston my friend.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 04:24 PM   #60
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
By 'amended' I was referring to headers, hfc's or none at all. Anyways, filter is ordered. Do we have an ETA for all this?

Tom, we're riding Zube sat 7am 45 miles if you're interested.
Hopefully, soon, but I guess it all depends on getting enough interest and then coordinating a range of days that works well for everyone.

I'm doing that triathlon Monday morning, so I probably should not be riding Saturday, but my training has gone to heck anyway, so count me in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawaaz View Post
Thanks Tom. It took me a lot of research to exactly understand all the different types of tunes and how a custom dyno tune would be best for my M3 and its mods.

See you in Houston my friend.
I tried to save people some time with my post above, but I understanding needing to do the research yourself. I tuned my previous vehicle myself and it took me a long time of basically trial-and-error. This is definitely something that requires a lot of experience to be good at. Look forward to seeing you.
      09-03-2009, 05:17 PM   #61
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Alright guys!

Let's get at least 2 more guys (if not more), so Powerchip can send someone to personally tune all of our M3's!
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 05:26 PM   #62
DevJ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 V10+/YMB M4

Houston is so far away...ahh..
http://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=133578&d=1204654487[/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 05:47 PM   #63
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevJ View Post
Houston is so far away...ahh..
Caravan down with your buddy, Nawaaz.

For those of you who might be coming in from out of town, I can offer up my guest bedroom and a futon in my home office for a night.

Mike, in addition to optimizing engine performance, what else will the tune accomplish? For example, will the tune include:
  • Raising the rpm limiter
  • Delimiting top speed
  • Introducing for 6MT cars an rpm ceiling in neutral similar to launch control
  • Anything else I'm not thinking of here
      09-03-2009, 08:45 PM   #64
TLud
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Frank, as I explained to you on the phone, here's what the pricing would look like (assuming enough participation):

Standard Stage I Tune
Accounts for mods except to headers, cats, 02 sensors
No dyno used -- simple flash via OBDII port
MSRP: $990
Special pricing: $800 ($190 discount)

Standard Stage II Tune
Accounts for mods including to headers, cats, 02 sensors
No dyno used -- simple flash via OBDII port
MSRP: $1,490
Special pricing: $1,190 ($300)

Custom Stage I Tune
Tune specifically to your car and mods using dyno
Does not address CEL issues caused by deleting cats/ O2sensors
MSRP: $990 (basic flash) + $500 + fee for use of dyno
Special pricing: $990 + fee for use of dyno ($500 discount)

Custom Stage II Tune
Tune specifically to your car and mods using dyno
Addresses CEL issues caused by deleting cats/ O2sensors
MSRP: $1,490 (basic flash) + $500 + fee for use of dyno
Special pricing: $1,190 + fee for use of dyno ($800 discount)

Mike, did I get this right or is there only one custom tune option regardless of full exhaust modifications?

Last edited by TLud; 09-03-2009 at 09:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 09:12 PM   #65
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

^ I spoke with Mike on the phone earlier this afternoon, and he told me it would be $1190 for my custom dyno tune + the charge from the shop for using its dyno machine (probably another $100).

And I was quoted that $1190 price with the following mods I mentioned on my M3: Full catless exhaust system, pulley, rpi scoops, and air filter.

Correct me if I've mistaken Mike.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 09:30 PM   #66
frankzlin79
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Thanks for the explanation, Tlud. We'll need Mike to see if your summary is accurate. It sounds to be accurate based on this entire thread, but then there is Nawaaz who should technically fall under the custom stage II tune for $1490 according to your summary, yet he's quoted only $1190.
Appreciate 0