BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

Mporium BMW

01-19-2016, 08:12 AM   #1
radiofrequency
Field Marshall
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 ZCP, 2021 M2 Comp

Where to watch MotoGP if You are a CableCutter?

I cut cable TV out of my life in 2009 and don't miss it one bit due to Apple TV, Netflix etc. I was an F1 fan, but the races were putting me to sleep. I have always loved the close racing in MotoGP, and would like to watch the 2016 season, and don't really want to go through the cable mess/setup again. I found this website for live streaming: https://secure.motogp.com/en/subscribe The price is reasonable for one year: +/- $150 and it is part of the MotoGP organization. However, it is app based (Android or Apple), so I am thinking that I could view on the big screen through Airplay. My question/s are, has anyone done this here and does picture quality suffer using this method over Airplay? Also, is the commentary voice or text? TIA!
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2016, 08:31 AM   #2
gtron
powerhouse
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Porsche 981 CS

Garage List
i don't know the answer to your questions but i feel like i saw it for free on the redbull tv app. i could be wrong.

again not the answer but somewhat related; last time i used google cast it was at 720p.
      01-19-2016, 09:26 AM   #3
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: E91 318d

I have been using it for years and it works great.
No major issues what so ever until Valencia last year and pretty good 720p quality video. It buffered a bit on the last race last year but that was the first time with real issues. It sometimes goes down to a lower resolution for a couple of seconds but no big issue.

The commentators are the best you can find and they have direct access to people in the pits during races etc so it is the best way to watch it for sure.

I asked them a week ago about an Apple TV app but it wasn't in the pipeline as of now.
Appreciate 1
      01-19-2016, 12:29 PM   #4
FMLYSDN
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Frozen Grey E90 M3

Garage List
I have been using the motogp website for years and streaming on my computer and ipad. In the past I also streamed on Apple TV when I had a TV. Quality has been good and I mostly watch the races after they have run (not live) with little to no issues. I have found in the past that the live stream is good but there has been a couple of issues to note with the live stream due to technicalities that caused an uproar amongst fans. Most notably was this past year at Valencia and 2006 when the championship was coming to a close.

On a side note, I am not a fan of Nick Harris. He is starting to show his age and his commentary isn't my preference. Although I would take him over the old Speed TV announcers! Man. Those are the same guys who were calling NASCAR. Not my cup of tea.
Appreciate 1
      01-20-2016, 06:30 AM   #5
radiofrequency
Field Marshall
Rep

Thanks for all of the input here. I am going to go with VideoPass and use Airplay to watch on the big screen. I have the new Apple TV (app based) and I like it a lot when comparing to the old Apple TV. My understanding is that the new Apple TV, known to Apple as TV iOS (operating system) is constantly acquiring new apps, so my hopeful expectation is that Videopass will develop an app for TV iOS in the very near future. If they do, it will be riot to watch their stellar content in 1080p. I am so glad to have found a solution to NOT returning to cable!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2016, 06:37 AM   #6
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiofrequency View Post
Thanks for all of the input here. I am going to go with VideoPass and use Airplay to watch on the big screen. I have the new Apple TV (app based) and I like it a lot when comparing to the old Apple TV. My understanding is that the new Apple TV, known to Apple as TV iOS (operating system) is constantly acquiring new apps, so my hopeful expectation is that Videopass will develop an app for TV iOS in the very near future. If they do, it will be riot to watch their stellar content in 1080p. I am so glad to have found a solution to NOT returning to cable!
That was my hope too, but as I said above I asked them and they had no plan to implement that.

My hope is that was just a standard answer and they will take it under consideration anyway. Airplay works fine in the meantime but a app would be awesome.
Appreciate 1
      03-21-2016, 09:34 AM   #7
radiofrequency
Field Marshall
Rep

How to watch MotoGP if you are a Cable Cutter - UPDATE

As promised, I wanted to report back to everyone regarding my experience with the VideoPass for MotoGP, after the first race of the season, yesterday. The subscription cost is $153 for the entire 2016 season. There are less expensive options provided by VideoPass, however the full season pass suited my needs perfectly. My greatest concern was using Apple AirPlay to stream the race to my TV. I was worried that the feed may be jumpy, as I have had this experience in the past with AirPlay, albeit intermittently. So yesterday afternoon, with 20+ people in my home theater waiting to see the race, I teed it up from an iPad Air and the feed was flawless on the big screen, the picture appeared to be Hi Def, the close up shots were incredible and there was no distortion whatsoever, so a great time was had by all. Bear in mind that we weren't watching the Live Feed as the race had occurred sometime during the night USA time in Qatar. Personally, I am not too worried about watching the Live Feed, my preference is to watch the races when I want to and at my convenience. If you are a MotoGP aficionado, then VideoPass is definitely for you, as you can go back to every race from every season starting at 1992. FYI: Using AirPlay does not provide you with the sound options you would enjoy when watching a BluRay on your Home Theater system, my sense was that the majority of the sound was coming from my Center Channel, which was good, then again my Center Channel is the largest Center Channel Speaker from Paradigm (I need this as I am hard of hearing!). Everyone attending felt that the sound was excellent. Hope this helps you with your choices!
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 09:47 AM   #8
metrickid
Dinosaur supervisor
Netherlands
Rep

The latest update of Videopass has "AppleTV support" according to the AppStore but it isn't activated on my app.
Appreciate 0