BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

European Auto Source (EAS)

07-26-2018, 09:55 PM   #45
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejnc View Post
Err.... I'm in the market for a set and I totally missed out.
Chances are Labor day will have the same sale.
Track Chat Discord: https://discord.gg/VsKbTyqBVj
SF Bay Area: DM For coding services
Appreciate 1
vincE92M3564.00
      08-08-2018, 04:08 PM   #46
L4ces
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 Alpine White

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikejnc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincE92M3 View Post
Did anyone order the Ohlins from IND during their 4th of July promotion?
Err.... I'm in the market for a set and I totally missed out.
For what it's worth, I upgraded my suspension and in 1 month after warranty the rear struck was found broken. There are no available replacements from Bilstein in over a year. My old oem would have served better than a new and broken setup even though the oems were worn out.

My thoughts are:
1.) Shops probably won't know nor warn you if an allocation issue is on the horizon. It's real. Bilstein.

2.) Dinan setup works with OEM components and IS an improvement over the stock setup. If something goes bad, you will likely order the oem piece and be in good hands. Does it compare to BrandX? Maybe not but it may be enough for causal track duty until you can outdrive your oem setup! LOL. I've tracked, have you?
3.) If you go brand x and something breaks, it will be costly if you have to switch to another brand! OEM + Dinan, prolly not. Also, even Dinan as a company has changed.
4.) Go back to 1 and really think about it.

5.) Ask the shop to help shield you from this crap.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 04:12 PM   #47
L4ces
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
BTW, I didn't take into account who my audience is so I apologize if know your stuff about suspensions, etc and can afford to recover from these issues. I can't wield $2500.00 here and there for my car as others can.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2018, 04:32 PM   #48
BayE30
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4ces View Post
For what it's worth, I upgraded my suspension and in 1 month after warranty the rear struck was found broken. There are no available replacements from Bilstein in over a year. My old oem would have served better than a new and broken setup even though the oems were worn out.

My thoughts are:
1.) Shops probably won't know nor warn you if an allocation issue is on the horizon. It's real. Bilstein.

2.) Dinan setup works with OEM components and IS an improvement over the stock setup. If something goes bad, you will likely order the oem piece and be in good hands. Does it compare to BrandX? Maybe not but it may be enough for causal track duty until you can outdrive your oem setup! LOL. I've tracked, have you?
3.) If you go brand x and something breaks, it will be costly if you have to switch to another brand! OEM + Dinan, prolly not. Also, even Dinan as a company has changed.

i dont understand what you are saying. are you saying people shouldnt use aftermarket parts because they can break? if so, that is a hilarious standpoint.
      08-09-2018, 08:41 AM   #49
L4ces
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCM3 View Post
Quote:

My thoughts are:

i dont understand what you are saying. are you saying people shouldnt use aftermarket parts because they can break? if so, that is a hilarious standpoint.
No, I am not generalizing it.

I am saying that had I had a broken oem shock, it would already be fixed. But it is a broken Bilstein part and unavailable for almost 1.5 years and its only a rear edc shock!!!! Who can afford to not have a working shock on their daily driver? Or do I spend a few K again to replace everything?

With the Dinan, you still use OEM shocks and struts.

Somewhere there is wisdom above and you have to find it and see if it is applicable.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 09:16 AM   #50
turbo_joe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 Coupe

Quote:

I am saying that had I had a broken oem shock, it would already be fixed. But it is a broken Bilstein part and unavailable for almost 1.5 years and its only a rear edc shock!!!! Who can afford to not have a working shock on their daily driver? Or do I spend a few K again to replace everything?

Somewhere there is wisdom above and you have to find it and see if it is applicable.
Sounds like a personal issue with Bilstein
If you want oem shocks for peace of mind you can run the KW HAS or Ground Control kit
      08-09-2018, 11:57 AM   #51
L4ces
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo_joe View Post
Quote:

Sounds like a personal issue with Bilstein
If you want oem shocks for peace of mind you can run the KW HAS or Ground Control kit
Ok fair enough.
I like the OEM and KW idea... at the time I had to replace my edc dampers too.
I'll reconsider OEM and KW coil overs as it allows me a contingency plan if the anything goes bad.
I am going to shut up now.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 12:23 PM   #52
deansbimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: 2011 E93 M3

Garage List
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
2011 X5M  [0.00]
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Bilstein shortages are real. Every Bilstein part for BMW that I've tried to source from my wholesalers in the past 6 months to a year has been unavailable or backordered in Germany. I can't even get them from other shops or vendors at street price to help out my customers. I don't even mention them to customers anymore. If they're in the market for suspension parts I give them every option other than Bilstein.

The Ohlins R&T setup is a fantastic setup for daily drivers or weekend track cars.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 12:36 PM   #53
L4ces
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by deansbimmer View Post
Bilstein shortages are real. Every Bilstein part for BMW that I've tried to source from my wholesalers in the past 6 months to a year has been unavailable or backordered in Germany. I can't even get them from other shops or vendors at street price to help out my customers. I don't even mention them to customers anymore. If they're in the market for suspension parts I give them every option other than Bilstein.

The Ohlins R&T setup is a fantastic setup for daily drivers or weekend track cars.
I will look into Ohlins. Thanks for chiming in.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2018, 12:38 PM   #54
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
With Ohlins R/T if it starts to soften over time - which is normal of all shocks - you can reduce clicks to stiffen them up again.

I only plan to rebuild when I run out of clicks. I've had mine 17k kms and haven't had to stiffen them up yet. I run 12/12 for daily driving.
The problem with the "softening" is that the dampening is softened and not as responsive, not the spring rates. So you end up with a harsher ride than before. The spring rate is the same and the dampening is not keeping up. It gets more bouncy and hard over bumps. It's not a matter of stiffening it up.

That is why Ohlins says about 20-30k miles for a rebuild.
      08-21-2018, 08:37 AM   #55
SpacegrayMe90
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 e90M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
The problem with the "softening" is that the dampening is softened and not as responsive, not the spring rates. So you end up with a harsher ride than before. The spring rate is the same and the dampening is not keeping up. It gets more bouncy and hard over bumps. It's not a matter of stiffening it up.

Thanks for this informative feedback. I drive about 7K a year, so I will have sometime before I would need to worry about the downtime and small cost associated with the rebuild.

What should I expect to pay a shop for installation? My car is equipped with EDC.

Also, should I wait for the upcoming holiday to order, maybe some vendors will probably have a promotion going?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2018, 12:03 PM   #56
Z K
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpacegrayMe90 View Post
Thanks for this informative feedback. I drive about 7K a year, so I will have sometime before I would need to worry about the downtime and small cost associated with the rebuild.

What should I expect to pay a shop for installation? My car is equipped with EDC.

Also, should I wait for the upcoming holiday to order, maybe some vendors will probably have a promotion going?
I don't know what your local shops charge for suspension installation. It varies a lot from shop to shop and area to area.

If you are doing Ohlins, the coilovers do not have EDC. You will need to either code out the EDC or else use a module to trick it into thinking it's still there.

I don't know what the differential is between normal pricing and sale pricing. I think most times sale pricing doesn't change that much.
      08-28-2018, 01:58 AM   #57
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Is there any way to get these coils with stiffer springs from Ohlin?
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2018, 01:49 PM   #58
JsL
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW M3 ZCP

Sale is back at IND. Code is Labor18. I didn't check what the discount is, but passing this info along. I'm very happy with my set. At full soft, it rides more comfortable than stock, of course, at the expense of body roll. But stiffening it up, you're ready for the canyons.
Appreciate 1
derbo3605.50
      08-30-2018, 10:36 PM   #59
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JsL View Post
Sale is back at IND. Code is Labor18. I didn't check what the discount is, but passing this info along. I'm very happy with my set. At full soft, it rides more comfortable than stock, of course, at the expense of body roll. But stiffening it up, you're ready for the canyons.
Good price! It's about $2300 shipped to San Francisco area. Pretty good!
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2018, 02:12 AM   #60
JsL
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by derbo View Post
Good price! It's about $2300 shipped to San Francisco area. Pretty good!
Another bay area M3 guy. Cool. If you're ever in Fremont/Newark and want to check out the Ohlins, PM me.
Appreciate 1
derbo3605.50
      09-02-2018, 12:04 PM   #61
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Individual Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post

I'm fairly certain that at the NEC Autosport show back in 2015, Ohlins told me it was at least 50k miles of road driving before a damper rebuild for the R&T.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2018, 12:08 PM   #62
Ant Man
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Individual Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Is there any way to get these coils with stiffer springs from Ohlin?
When I was discussing with their HQ back in 2015, I could order the R&T kit with different spring rates. For the road I can't see why you'd want to run stiffer springs. If you're planning to track your car a lot then their TTX kit is probably the best there is but it's expensive.
Appreciate 1
aus889.50
      09-02-2018, 08:08 PM   #63
derbo
Derbo Tuning
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JsL View Post
Another bay area M3 guy. Cool. If you're ever in Fremont/Newark and want to check out the Ohlins, PM me.
I ended up getting a different suspension setup but we should meet up and compare!
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2018, 12:18 AM   #64
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Anyone have the standard springs rates for this kit?
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2018, 01:58 AM   #65
JsL
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Anyone have the standard springs rates for this kit?
Front: 342 lbs/in
Rear: 685 lbs/in
Appreciate 1
aus889.50
      09-04-2018, 11:56 AM   #66
Z K
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant Man View Post
I'm fairly certain that at the NEC Autosport show back in 2015, Ohlins told me it was at least 50k miles of road driving before a damper rebuild for the R&T.
Really depends on your driving conditions. I had Ohlins DFV for 30k miles of street and some track driving on a previous car and it was about ready for a servicing. You notice the dampening getting worse and the ride getting more bouncy over time.

The manual for the suspension says 30,000 KM for rebuild. You can probably last longer if your roads are smoother but if you follow the manual (instructions are in Japanese), that's what it says.

Quote:
Recommended Service Intervals
Racing: Every 10 hours of operation.
Maximum 20 hours of operation
without service and oil change.
Regular street use: Every 30 000 km

Last edited by Z K; 09-04-2018 at 12:03 PM..
Appreciate 0