BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 Marketplace > Private Sellers - For Sale / Trade / Wanted > Electronics: Audio / Video / Phone / Alarm / Navigation / Radar

EXXEL Distributions

03-10-2020, 01:43 AM   #1
x Spades x
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW E46 M3

Upgrade HiFi to EPS: Need help

BIMMERPOST / Classifieds
Asking Price:
None

Item Interest
Hey Guys,

So I just bought an 2011 E92 M3 about 2 weeks ago, and I see that I have the base HiFi system in it. I would like to do a simple upgrade to the EPS system, as I don't feel like doing a huge audio overhaul. Is everything plug and play?

I'm under the impression that i need the following, please let me know if I have something wrong or missing anything...

- EPS front door tweeters (2x)
- EPS font door mid range (2x)
- EPS rear door mid range (2x)
- EPS rear door tweeters (2x)
- EPS rear deck mid range (2x)
- EPS rear deck tweeters (2x)
- EPS subwoofers (2x)
- EPS amplifier (2x)

Also, is the center speaker the same and the EPS?

Thanks in advance!

Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 09:47 AM   #2
Asianoak
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 & "11 X3

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
I can't remember for sure regarding details on the amp or coding to recognize it and add the EQ settings to the system... but.... I did a full speaker swap over on my X3 from HiFi to esp and after adding a sub and amp I honestly don't see the need to worry about using an esp amp. (I seem to remember there are significant wiring differences between the two amps but I might be wrong)

The sound in the X3 is extremely clear now with the esp speakers as well as accurate, and the bass is better as well. I retained the hifi subs and use them more as mid ranges and let the sub do the heavy lifting. I think the esp in my M3 might be clearer at very loud volumes but I really don't ever turn it up loud enough to notice.

Not sure how much of a help this is since it's not an M3 that I swapped speakers on but my advise would be to upgrade the speakers then take it from there. Start with front sound stage then move to the rear. I honestly wouldn't waste time or money on the rears if I had it to do again, they're just fill and not really noticeable anyway.
      03-10-2020, 10:44 AM   #3
x Spades x
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asianoak View Post
I can't remember for sure regarding details on the amp or coding to recognize it and add the EQ settings to the system... but.... I did a full speaker swap over on my X3 from HiFi to esp and after adding a sub and amp I honestly don't see the need to worry about using an esp amp. (I seem to remember there are significant wiring differences between the two amps but I might be wrong)

The sound in the X3 is extremely clear now with the esp speakers as well as accurate, and the bass is better as well. I retained the hifi subs and use them more as mid ranges and let the sub do the heavy lifting. I think the esp in my M3 might be clearer at very loud volumes but I really don't ever turn it up loud enough to notice.

Not sure how much of a help this is since it's not an M3 that I swapped speakers on but my advise would be to upgrade the speakers then take it from there. Start with front sound stage then move to the rear. I honestly wouldn't waste time or money on the rears if I had it to do again, they're just fill and not really noticeable anyway.
Thanks for chiming in and giving your feedback! I'm seeing "crossovers", but not sure what that means.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2020, 11:09 PM   #4
Asianoak
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 & "11 X3

Garage List
2011 M3  [0.00]
you need crossovers for the tweeters. I forgot about that, sorry.
      03-12-2020, 08:22 AM   #5
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Rep
Drives: '16 M3, '23 718 Spyder

Far from PnP, the entire wiring setup is different HiFi vs EPS, it's a tonne of work.

The only viable option would be to use EPS speakers with an aftermarket amp. Honestly it might even sound better than stock EPS.

Past: E92 M3, F87 M2, E39 M5, etc
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2020, 08:32 AM   #6
thompsac25
Stance to make her dance
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3

As others have said, much easier aftermarket options. I recently did an entire install series on BavSound products. Completely plug and play. I had the Standard HiFi in my car and upgraded.

Check out my thread below:
https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1701861
      03-14-2020, 12:36 AM   #7
x Spades x
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thompsac25 View Post
As others have said, much easier aftermarket options. I recently did an entire install series on BavSound products. Completely plug and play. I had the Standard HiFi in my car and upgraded.

Check out my thread below:
https://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1701861
Much appreciated it, thank you to everyone that commented. Youve saved me a bunch of time and money
Appreciate 1
      03-14-2020, 11:27 AM   #8
rhyary
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3

I am interested to hear from someone who upgraded from the Premium sound (Option Code S752A) to Bavsound. There is a claim for superior sound from same stock amplifiers. I understand the logic (not a cost limited option, better efficiency) but I do want to hear from someone that actually done the upgrade and if the "improvement" is noticeable on daily basis.
Appreciate 0