BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

European Auto Source (EAS)

01-22-2023, 05:21 AM   #23
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
Yes that is also one of the options I considered. But I'm a bit OCD and don't like to see a persistent code. I ordered a low mileage used one off ebay for cheap so let's see how that works out.

I've also been thinking about bypassing the coolant hoses when I replace the pump. Since we know heat causes these pumps to fail, if I bypass it and do a heatshield around the pump itself, maybe I can get the replacement unit to last forever. Any thoughts on that idea?
Water getting into the engine due to the axle sealing giving up seems to be the typical root cause for the pump failure (there's a few good vids on YT). Not sure if its the heat or simply time that does it?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2023, 06:11 PM   #24
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Hmm lemme check for signs of water ingress around the aux pump area, but I'm pretty sure no water is getting in.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2023, 08:41 PM   #25
spammysammich
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3 Dakar Yellow II

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
Water getting into the engine due to the axle sealing giving up seems to be the typical root cause for the pump failure (there's a few good vids on YT). Not sure if its the heat or simply time that does it?
Can you please link some videos?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2023, 01:52 AM   #26
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by spammysammich View Post
Can you please link some videos?
The one I found after quick search: https://youtu.be/w3OjsRUW2Cw

Like to remember there are another couple of repair vids, give it a search mate.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2023, 03:32 PM   #27
tol4o
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 6-speed

The problem with the pump are the brushes, you can replace them with carbon brushes and forget about any future problems with motor.
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/10050...8daKjjrnJ&mp=1
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2023, 07:01 AM   #28
Redd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW E92 M3 Dakar Edition

Today I replaced my aux water pump with a used unit from ebay. Everything works, no more permanent A6D1.

My car is a 2010 so it doesn't have REST. The car has spent majority of its life in hot climate (except for the first 2-3 years in UK before it got exported to Malaysia) where the heater is NEVER used. So theoretically the aux water pump should never really activate right? Well, not quite.

I took apart the old faulty pump and true enough, the carbon brushes were all worn down and there was carbon powder everywhere. My mech says that the aux water pump is also used to control HVAC temperature. If the pump was bypassed, ac temps would be max cold all the time.

So I guess whether your car has the REST function or not, this is still a wear and tear item.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2023, 08:20 AM   #29
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
Today I replaced my aux water pump with a used unit from ebay. Everything works, no more permanent A6D1.

My car is a 2010 so it doesn't have REST. The car has spent majority of its life in hot climate (except for the first 2-3 years in UK before it got exported to Malaysia) where the heater is NEVER used. So theoretically the aux water pump should never really activate right? Well, not quite.

I took apart the old faulty pump and true enough, the carbon brushes were all worn down and there was carbon powder everywhere. My mech says that the aux water pump is also used to control HVAC temperature. If the pump was bypassed, ac temps would be max cold all the time.

So I guess whether your car has the REST function or not, this is still a wear and tear item.
Good job Redd. So clearly the pump is working.

Funny, "my" dealer strongly stated that my car (based on VIN) didn't have the pump installed. Fortunately I was still able to find and replaced it, to get rid of that annoying A6D1 code...

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2023, 08:26 PM   #30
Zero Signal
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

You both seem to have dct? I wonder if 2010+ manuals have them or not.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2023, 08:07 AM   #31
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero Signal View Post
You both seem to have dct? I wonder if 2010+ manuals have them or not.
Yes DCT here. Believe also the MT have them due to by Redd' mentioned reasons.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2024, 12:12 AM   #32
drwankel
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 ZCP, 2021 M340i

Add me to the list. Every time I've cleared this code it's come back for the last 5-6 years.

Don't really notice anything wrong. DCT behaves perfectly. The only cooling issue this car has is getting hot in bad traffic on a hot summer day.

I never did anything about it. The car is a 2012 and doesn't have a rest function. Wasn't entirely sure what it did. However, based on those pictures Redd posted, it seems like I should do something. The way the pump fails is by being used, so clearly it was doing something.

Kind of funny to see a thread revived pretty close to when I was looking for it.

Last edited by drwankel; 02-10-2024 at 12:30 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2024, 05:55 AM   #33
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwankel View Post
Add me to the list. Every time I've cleared this code it's come back for the last 5-6 years.

Don't really notice anything wrong. DCT behaves perfectly. The only cooling issue this car has is getting hot in bad traffic on a hot summer day.

I never did anything about it. The car is a 2012 and doesn't have a rest function. Wasn't entirely sure what it did. However, based on those pictures Redd posted, it seems like I should do something. The way the pump fails is by being used, so clearly it was doing something.

Kind of funny to see a thread revived pretty close to when I was looking for it.
Might as well replace it. As mentioned earlier in the thread it is very straight forward assuming you have a smooth way to cut the coolant, such a couple of cheap hose pliers. The pump isn't even bolted, simply slides in with rubber washer.
Appreciate 0