BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

01-28-2024, 12:11 AM   #1
2022m3x
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw M3 comp xdrive

Test pipes vs quad resonated xpipe

Need some help on exhaust setup!

Backstory: Went from oem to cat less double xpipe with two resonators and it was LOUD. Actually didn’t mind the loudnesss of it since I also installed a valved exhaust and could deal with the smell but the rasp was intolerable after 3.5k rpm.
Since then, I’ve switched to test pipes with oem xpipe and valved exhaust. Now the rasp, tone, and smell is drastically better but it’s much much quieter. If the previous catless setup was a 9, test pipes is a 5.

So the question is: has anyone went from test pipes to quad resonated (or essentially created their own quad resonated setup by replacing secondary cats with resonators)? If so, what difference in tone, rasp, drone, loudness did it make? No changes at all?

Really after the 7-8/10 on the loudness scale lol.
Any help would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2024, 12:34 AM   #2
2022m3x
Private
Rep

Catless: https://youtube.com/shorts/hgAlP5LNG...kSDrNUxT7phThS
Test pipes: https://youtube.com/shorts/EgKxVsrDa...CWEy71ntvtLnoM
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2024, 09:43 PM   #3
321eurotuner
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

I have had both set ups with the exception that my muffler is an OEM 4 pipe mod. I bought my car with VRSF test pipes connected to the factory x pipe: secondary cats, resonators and OEM mod muffler. I replaced my secondary cats with vibrant resonators. I noticed that it was a little louder, maybe more volume if that makes sense. But, I wasn’t happy with the shop I took it to, the welds were horrible and started to leak. I ended up getting a quad resonated x pipe and it’s loud with my muffler. Most likely because these resonators are much smaller than the vibrant and OE ones. I’m happy with it but it’s loud, certainly has some rasp but I like it. I’m sure if I had an AA muffler, the car would be pretty tame. Looking back at it, I should have just left the original set up and saved my money. Do I love the way my car sounds? Absolutely.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2024, 10:02 PM   #4
2022m3x
Private
Rep

Exactly the response I was looking for 🙏. Glad to hear there is more volume from test pipes to quad setup.
Do you know what kind of resonators are on the quad resonated xpipe or can you let me know which brand xpipe you got?
Any sound clips?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2024, 10:21 PM   #5
321eurotuner
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

It’s a VE quad resonated X pipe. It’s decnt quality, fit fine. The supplied clamps are cheap but that’s what you get for essentially an ebay pipe. The best is Dinan or Borla, sadly both discontinued. I don’t have any clips, I’ve been meaning to get some.
Appreciate 0