BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

10-24-2019, 01:38 PM   #859
//steve\\
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Only one way to find out!

Worst case it comes off and I hate it and have to re-install. I've driven these stock before and I'm happy with what I've experienced. I'd rather have the money anyways to do other things that make it more of a drivers car. Might be an expensive mistake but it could also be re-purchased in the future.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 03:01 PM   #860
M.Hagen
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by //steve\\ View Post
Only one way to find out!

Worst case it comes off and I hate it and have to re-install. I've driven these stock before and I'm happy with what I've experienced. I'd rather have the money anyways to do other things that make it more of a drivers car. Might be an expensive mistake but it could also be re-purchased in the future.
I spent 12 years with a 1997 Integra-R as my weekend toy, so I understand your background.

The Harrop really makes this chassis/engine combo shine. I liked the N/A V8, but especially at high-elevation where I am at, the lack of torque started to frustrate me.

My best advice, given I installed a second-hand kit on my car, is to reference the installation manual and build a complete 'kit list', and bounce that off of the images out there (good search) of the entire kit contents. The handful of things that could easily be missed:
  • Check Valve
    Intercooler Install Grommet
    Misc. tube clamps
    Misc. fasteners

With that said, hopefully you have the OE items (injectors, manifold hose adapters, etc) that go back on the car.

Good luck.
      10-24-2019, 03:38 PM   #861
M.Hagen
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakerboy View Post
Could it be the throttle bypass valve?
Maybe. I don't know what audible noises the bypass valve makes when it opens/closes.

I tried a hard launch today and replicated the noise, it only lasted for about 1-2 minutes this time.

I'll do it again and record the audio.
      10-24-2019, 04:04 PM   #862
DukeofAlexandria
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E85 Z4 / 2013 E93 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW M3 E93  [0.00]
2007 BMW Z4 E85  [6.00]
I'm with everyone else here; I would reconsider if I were you.

I completely understand your thought process, but the linear curve that a harrop produces is so much smoother than others can offer and I think you'd have a lot of fun with it.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2019, 09:47 PM   #863
Nick//M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 alpine white/fox red

Garage List
2013 Bmw m3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by //steve\\ View Post
If anyone has been sitting on the fence about one of these setups I just purchased a car that has it and I don't intend on keeping it. I'll be pulling it at some point most likely on the other side of Thanksgiving and getting a full inventory list of what's included.

I'm sure very few have gone the removal route but anything I'll need to purchase to re-sell it as a complete kit that's hard to reuse?
If you do decide to sell the kit I know someone that would be interested.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2019, 11:20 AM   #864
zgerman
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 e93 M3

Finally harrop boosted!

After a couple days of tire roasting I can say this thing is awesome! I've had a vf650 kit on my e93 for a year or so along with about every other after market part you can think of and decided I wanted a track ready supercharged e92 and street tire smoking e93. Put the vf650 on the e92 with all the other aftermarket goodies(brakes, suspension, diff, wheels, straight pipes) and got a harrop for my e93 b/c of the added weight of the vert I figured the low end torque would help it out.
Exactly as I expected! Harrop is a masterpiece of engineering and looks/feels like factory as opposed to the centuri feeling like an add on. With the top down there is a firetruck siren under the hood! The low end is outright nasty on the harrop and really shines on the street, sooooo much more fun. You can feel the HP difference on the top end but when stage 2 hits for the harrop its game over the for centuri not even close. The fit and finish on this unit and install is second to none. Bra-fucking-vo!!! No doubt a harrop is going on my e92 very soon!
Appreciate 3
DrFerry6722.50
///Mobbin1474.50
L4ces337.00
      11-02-2019, 01:34 PM   #865
Nick//M3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 alpine white/fox red

Garage List
2013 Bmw m3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zgerman View Post
After a couple days of tire roasting I can say this thing is awesome! I've had a vf650 kit on my e93 for a year or so along with about every other after market part you can think of and decided I wanted a track ready supercharged e92 and street tire smoking e93. Put the vf650 on the e92 with all the other aftermarket goodies(brakes, suspension, diff, wheels, straight pipes) and got a harrop for my e93 b/c of the added weight of the vert I figured the low end torque would help it out.
Exactly as I expected! Harrop is a masterpiece of engineering and looks/feels like factory as opposed to the centuri feeling like an add on. With the top down there is a firetruck siren under the hood! The low end is outright nasty on the harrop and really shines on the street, sooooo much more fun. You can feel the HP difference on the top end but when stage 2 hits for the harrop its game over the for centuri not even close. The fit and finish on this unit and install is second to none. Bra-fucking-vo!!! No doubt a harrop is going on my e92 very soon!
👏👏👏👏 welcome to the club , love every minute driving. Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 10:53 AM   #866
///Mobbin
Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

Planning to add a Harrop to my car at some point in the future and curious who all is running a different differential with the Harrop? Any considerations with that in mind? Aiming for something with good street manners but also useful at the track, will likely grab a custom diff from driftflo. Car is DCT, also planning on full do88 cooling before the Harrop goes on.
      11-15-2019, 03:12 PM   #867
ceez
Mpowerceez
United_States
Rep
Drives: e93 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8500RPM View Post
I'm sure there are a few beta testers out there in the US. BPM's instagram has several videos of their shop car E90 with a Stage 2 Harrop racing airstip, driving through traffic, pictures of it in the canyons. Probably at final stages of testing and QC.
What’s bpm’s Instagram page called cant find it ?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2019, 04:19 PM   #868
Bakerboy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Harrop E92 ZCP M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceez View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8500RPM View Post
I'm sure there are a few beta testers out there in the US. BPM's instagram has several videos of their shop car E90 with a Stage 2 Harrop racing airstip, driving through traffic, pictures of it in the canyons. Probably at final stages of testing and QC.
What’s bpm’s Instagram page called cant find it ?
BPMsport
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2019, 02:09 PM   #869
//steve\\
Major
United_States
Rep

For those wondering......the car is fast with the Harrop. Maybe a bit more punch than I was expecting in the midrange.

I finally gave it all the beans
Appreciate 1
DrFerry6722.50
      11-20-2019, 11:23 PM   #870
Ashley_rj
Private
Rep
Drives: e90 M3 2009 harrop s/c

Hi guys,
I was wondering if anyone had thoughts about running a catch can with their harrop s/c motor? I would expect it is worthwhile but I haven’t found much information about it. I guess it would be good preventative maintenance?
Thoughts?

Also Steve! Glad you are enjoying it! Are you going to keep the s/c after all?
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2019, 07:08 AM   #871
//steve\\
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley_rj View Post
Hi guys,
I was wondering if anyone had thoughts about running a catch can with their harrop s/c motor? I would expect it is worthwhile but I haven’t found much information about it. I guess it would be good preventative maintenance?
Thoughts?

Also Steve! Glad you are enjoying it! Are you going to keep the s/c after all?

I don't think so. For how I like to use the car and the things I'd like my money invested in it's just not anywhere close to the top of my list. And if I didn't already have it I can just about guarantee you that I'd never buy it.

The kit is wonderfully put together and you could easily pop the hood and it take a minute for people to realize that what they are looking at isn't OE.

I'll certainly drive the car around once it's off and figure out whether I'm making a huge mistake selling it before I actually let it go.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 11:15 PM   #872
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
For those interested. We will be offering 10% off for Black Friday, free shipping, free navigation map update, and free DCT software for DCT vehicles. Thanks!

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 5
      12-27-2019, 03:05 PM   #873
BPMSport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop M3 / F10 M5 / F82 M4

Garage List
2000 BMW M5  [0.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [7.50]
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2015 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Post View Post
Thought not.
I have one family member in the ER, and one 25 year old family member that recently died.

You can expect that Stage II will never be available for you.

I will no longer be posting on this thread as I am tired of certain people and their negativity. There are existing customers out there that have Stage II, and those that are interested may give me a call should they be interested in upgrading. Merry Christmas and happy holidays everyone. Hoping 2020 is a much better year for all.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 4
      12-28-2019, 10:30 AM   #874
DukeofAlexandria
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E85 Z4 / 2013 E93 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW M3 E93  [0.00]
2007 BMW Z4 E85  [6.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BPMSport View Post
I have one family member in the ER, and one 25 year old family member that recently died.

You can expect that Stage II will never be available for you.

I will no longer be posting on this thread as I am tired of certain people and their negativity. There are existing customers out there that have Stage II, and those that are interested may give me a call should they be interested in upgrading. Merry Christmas and happy holidays everyone. Hoping 2020 is a much better year for all.
Hey Mike, sorry to hear that and apologies for some members who have been on the hate train as of lately. I know you've posted about your family/issues in the past few months and my condolences and I hope it gets better for you. If you never come back to the thread, totally understand and thanks for all the support you've provided to me and others over the last couple years. When I'm ready to buy a Harrop kit next year, I'll give you all a call and talk shop, thanks!

Guys, let's be honest with ourselves...it's almost a 7 year old platform, was never meant to be a 'super fast' car (more a fast and amazingly well rounded car as most BMW M cars are), and has always had issues making a huge amount of power unlike other BMW's with turbo setups (lookin at you 335i).

I think everyone needs to take a step back, look at what is out their right now, and just buy something that makes them happy. It's hard from a cost benefit analysis to continue to produce S65 performance parts when a ton of other models exist and are way easier to tune/upgrade (ANY new BMW).

And that's OK, all of you just need to come to terms with that and enjoy the shit out of your kit, whether that be a Harrop, Gintani, ESS, VF, Active, etc. If you want something to brag about, go purchase a used M5 or any used/new M3/M4, spend ~$2K and instantly have a ~525+ HP monster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Post View Post
Thought not.
M3Post, we've had some good conversations before and you've been pretty nice and grounded in the past, wtf is this about!?!? Come on man, not only has Mike posted about his issues in this thread specifically in the past, he's also posted about Stage II and how he is helping out customers who want to step up - simply giving him a call or a chat and he's responded.

It's the holidays, take a step back and just breathe man, if you want a Stage II just give Mike a call and I'm sure he can help set it up for you.
Appreciate 3
DRLane3968.00
BPMSport3380.50
      12-28-2019, 11:11 AM   #875
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.17]
Thanks Mike, sorry to hear about the additional family trauma. Hope the community respects your privacy and focus on what really matters!

To everyone else, I'm preparing to install my Harrop kit, probably start sometime next week. Thinking 2 days should cover it. Any DIY install tips are appreciated but the instructions are very thorough.

As part of the install, I ordered a Turner oil catch can. Anyone have any experience getting one to fit? My car gets 10+ track days a year so I'd like to find a worthwhile solution.
      12-28-2019, 11:51 AM   #876
Yoko22R
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRLane View Post
Thanks Mike, sorry to hear about the additional family trauma. Hope the community respects your privacy and focus on what really matters!

To everyone else, I'm preparing to install my Harrop kit, probably start sometime next week. Thinking 2 days should cover it. Any DIY install tips are appreciated but the instructions are very thorough.

As part of the install, I ordered a Turner oil catch can. Anyone have any experience getting one to fit? My car gets 10+ track days a year so I'd like to find a worthwhile solution.
I diy installed my Harrop a few years back. Hit me up if you have any questions.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2019, 01:16 PM   #877
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.17]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoko22R View Post
Quote:

I diy installed my Harrop a few years back. Hit me up if you have any questions.
Thanks! I will
      12-30-2019, 05:41 PM   #878
Ashley_rj
Private
Rep
Drives: e90 M3 2009 harrop s/c

DRLane let me know if you have any luck with the catch can. I have bought one but haven’t installed it yet. When I checked my breather tube seemed very clean on the inside after 12k km supercharged and 4 track days. I will probably still install it, but might see what you do first. Also I have bought a HARD Motorsport disk ventilation system that I need to try and fit...
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 09:32 PM   #879
DRLane
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 m3  [6.17]
Started the install this evening - Only made it through the injectors, and changed the spark plugs.

Noticed the injector boxes were all opened, safe to assume that was to record the ID numbers for tune? Anyone know if I need to save the boxes and respective ID numbers?

Probably put a few hours each day and take my time. Was going to document, but honestly the instructions are incredibly thorough albeit backwards because Australia...
Attached Images

///Mobbin1474.50
DrFerry6722.50
      01-03-2020, 10:13 PM   #880
wyatth
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 ZCP

Quote:
Was going to document, but honestly the instructions are incredibly thorough albeit backwards because Australia...
LOL. *Installs blower on bottom end*
Appreciate 0