BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Mporium BMW

11-28-2017, 07:27 PM   #331
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeemy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOF-M3 View Post
Can you tell us what their response was and how did they correspond with you. Phone call, text, email, smoke signals etc... I really am curious at what level this type of communication goes to. I have called BMW USA before and spoken to an operator but never any higher. Was it an operator who called you back or actual management? Did you ask to speak directly to upper management? Sorry about all the questions.
So what I did was i went on twitter and looked up the handle (@BMWUSA) and noticed they were telling all of their upset customers to email bmwusacares@bmwusa.com.

So I sent a detailed email to that email and then tweeted @bmwusa about how i reached out to them and what were the next steps were. You will be able to see my tweets to them if you go to the 'tweets & replies' sections of their account on twitter.

I sent the tweet out on Sunday. About my 9am Monday morning i got a call from a supervisor stating she got the email and she forwarded it to Regional management. She was the one who spoke to the dealership on my behalf and regional management. I guess when regional management said no, they emailed her and she communicated it to me. I asked to speak to them, and she said that was not possible (which I call BS on, I'm sure if I had raised enough hell I would've gotten through).

Honestly, I feel I got stuck with a crappy supervisor. Like when it came down to it she was just like 'okay have a nice day' and hung up on me. There was no sense of remorse no apology or anything in regards to what I was having to deal with. No apologies or anything. I actually had to call her today to see what was going on and I left her a voicemail. When she called me back she was just like 'yeah, i already told you yesterday that I most likely nothing was going to happen and that's what regional management emailed me today'. There was no "Hi MR. XXXXXX, how are you etc etc"

Idk.. i might wait a few days and call directly to the 1800-831-1117 (BMW USA customer relations number) and ask to speak to a supervisor off the bat and just maybe try again.

The service manager, did drop the diagnosis fees to $180 and i found out there was metal in the oil filter. Throttle actuators have failed, an oil leak and my Right Rear differential is making noise. They quoted me a total of $35k. Not including labor.

Soooooooo not sure what I am going to do.
This is something. Tell them to move forward with the $35,000 repair. Then afterwards ask them to do an appraisal on the car. If your car is only worth $30,000 then tell them they can keep it. Or do what Duke said above.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2017, 07:34 PM   #332
Duk996
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 m3

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Can you tell us what their response was and how did they correspond with you. Phone call, text, email, smoke signals etc... I really am curious at what level this type of communication goes to. I have called BMW USA before and spoken to an operator but never any higher. Was it an operator who called you back or actual management? Did you ask to speak directly to upper management? Sorry about all the questions.
So what I did was i went on twitter and looked up the handle (@BMWUSA) and noticed they were telling all of their upset customers to email bmwusacares@bmwusa.com.

So I sent a detailed email to that email and then tweeted @bmwusa about how i reached out to them and what were the next steps were. You will be able to see my tweets to them if you go to the 'tweets & replies' sections of their account on twitter.

I sent the tweet out on Sunday. About my 9am Monday morning i got a call from a supervisor stating she got the email and she forwarded it to Regional management. She was the one who spoke to the dealership on my behalf and regional management. I guess when regional management said no, they emailed her and she communicated it to me. I asked to speak to them, and she said that was not possible (which I call BS on, I'm sure if I had raised enough hell I would've gotten through).

Honestly, I feel I got stuck with a crappy supervisor. Like when it came down to it she was just like 'okay have a nice day' and hung up on me. There was no sense of remorse no apology or anything in regards to what I was having to deal with. No apologies or anything. I actually had to call her today to see what was going on and I left her a voicemail. When she called me back she was just like 'yeah, i already told you yesterday that I most likely nothing was going to happen and that's what regional management emailed me today'. There was no "Hi MR. XXXXXX, how are you etc etc"

Idk.. i might wait a few days and call directly to the 1800-831-1117 (BMW USA customer relations number) and ask to speak to a supervisor off the bat and just maybe try again.

The service manager, did drop the diagnosis fees to $180 and i found out there was metal in the oil filter. Throttle actuators have failed, an oil leak and my Right Rear differential is making noise. They quoted me a total of $35k. Not including labor.

This is something. Tell them to move forward with the $35,000 repair. Then afterwards ask them to do an appraisal on the car. If your car is only worth $30,000 then tell them they can keep it. Or do what Duke said above.
Nooo, the carcass is worth at least 5 to 8k. If your going to gift them it at least do it via a showroom ghost-ride.

Always go full retard.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2017, 04:34 AM   #333
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
Uber///M You received a PM...
Happy New Year Phil! Hey I'd be intetested in you pm info as well, don't think I ever seen it.
Thanks
Nik
Appreciate 1
      12-26-2017, 11:21 AM   #334
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
Happy New Year Phil! Hey I'd be intetested in you pm info as well, don't think I ever seen it.
Thanks
Nik
Nik , Merry C. and happy New Year to you and your family !

Cheers !

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2017, 03:05 PM   #335
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
Nik , Merry C. and happy New Year to you and your family !

Cheers !
Merry Christmas Phil!
Appreciate 1
      12-26-2017, 03:43 PM   #336
Scharbag
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
It is getting to the point where you can buy a replacement M3 rather than fix a blown engine at a dealership. Yuk.

When my engine blows up, I will cry. Then I will call Deansbimmer and figure out something.

Appreciate 2
BOOF-M34451.50
      01-31-2018, 01:00 AM   #337
TX
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 ///M3 E92 APW 6MT

Quote:

Man I feel for you. I just replaced both throttle body actuators $1153 just in parts and 2 days of work. The rear diff has been replaced once under the extended warranty, it's already grinding again but made it just past the 2 years they covered the new diff so I'm SOL (they can't make it last more than 2 years?) I have the tick tick tick, but not the tick knock tick yet. My blackstone reports have been high on lead 24-27ppm on the last report if I remember correctly. I'm doing 5K oil changes, switched to shell ultra helix 10w60 on last change. Love my 09 57K miles...but too many problems... The AC Evaporator also sprung a leak - 4K in repairs, seems to be another common problem.

Would anyone be able to recommend a shop in south east FL to change the rod bearings? It looks like too much of a job for me. I don't have a lift, which is the main reason I haven't dug into that project. I think at one point there was a suggestion of a shop out of Miami, but if anyone knows of one please let me know. reply here and PM if anyone knows someone willing to do the job. thanks!
      01-31-2018, 01:01 PM   #338
Dr. Dre
the doctor
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Alpine White

BMW NA doesn't give a shit. We're not their core market. The majority of us purchased or M3 used. This does nothing for BMW NA. Most of us won't even take our cars back to a BMW dealership for service. Why should they give a shit if you bought a used car and now the engine fails.

They know most of us will probably not be able to purchase a new M3. We create no value to BMW or BMW NA
Appreciate 1
Kash63.00
      01-31-2018, 01:44 PM   #339
New2Roundel
Captain
Rep
Drives: Some fun stuff

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Dre View Post
BMW NA doesn't give a shit. We're not their core market. The majority of us purchased or M3 used. This does nothing for BMW NA. Most of us won't even take our cars back to a BMW dealership for service. Why should they give a shit if you bought a used car and now the engine fails.
That's short sighted thinking. And while there might be some of that logic in BMWs decision, it likely involves a much larger set of factors. The reality is this: we're not talking about a 1989 325is with a blown engine. Our cars are still fairly new (technically only a generation old at this point) and regardless of where we bought the car, most of us still spent a decent amount on them. Why does this matter? Because it's certainly possible that any one of us could be in a position to buy another BMW, particularly a new one, in the future for ourselves or a significant other.

Like any other business, BMW can't cover everything at maximum cost to them--it's not fiscally responsible. So I'm sure a lot of it not only has to do with the nature of the problem, but also their budget to cover repair costs. Of course, they are obligated to repair cars on their dime if the car is still under warranty. Once you get to out of warranty or for more gray areas, their obligation to the owner gets smaller and smaller. I'm sure BMW would likely look positively upon people who have a history with buying new BMW cars (even if their M3, for example, was purchased used). All of this is to say, that I don't think the decision is as simple as BMW saying that the M3 in question was purchased used by the current owner, so deny that person any sort of help.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 05:03 PM   #340
grantwoodOK
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

BMW gave me the run around on repairing my engine last year. I’d bought it from the same dealer that looked at the car after the row bearing went. It had been serviced there too and all the offered on the repair was good will of 2500 and parts at cost. Even with this cost was going to be $13000. I talked to the attorney handling the CALD and that was May 2017 when they had won the right to proceed with discovery. I think any remedy through this process of years away. So I decided fuckem and had a stroker motor built by one of the best builders out there.
Could not be happier!
Appreciate 1
CSBM52722.50
      01-31-2018, 06:51 PM   #341
Dr. Dre
the doctor
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Roundel View Post
That's short sighted thinking. And while there might be some of that logic in BMWs decision, it likely involves a much larger set of factors. The reality is this: we're not talking about a 1989 325is with a blown engine. Our cars are still fairly new (technically only a generation old at this point) and regardless of where we bought the car, most of us still spent a decent amount on them. Why does this matter? Because it's certainly possible that any one of us could be in a position to buy another BMW, particularly a new one, in the future for ourselves or a significant other.

Like any other business, BMW can't cover everything at maximum cost to them--it's not fiscally responsible. So I'm sure a lot of it not only has to do with the nature of the problem, but also their budget to cover repair costs. Of course, they are obligated to repair cars on their dime if the car is still under warranty. Once you get to out of warranty or for more gray areas, their obligation to the owner gets smaller and smaller. I'm sure BMW would likely look positively upon people who have a history with buying new BMW cars (even if their M3, for example, was purchased used). All of this is to say, that I don't think the decision is as simple as BMW saying that the M3 in question was purchased used by the current owner, so deny that person any sort of help.

I've been a District Manager for 3 different automakers for 20 years. First, once the warranty is over the manufacture has no obligation. It could be 1 mile over or 1 day over once the warranty is out you're on your own.

How many of us have the ability to go out and by a new m3. We provide no benefit to BMW or BMW NA.

I've purchased 3 used M3, I don't mean shit to BMW NA. BMW makes money selling NEW cars and selling PARTS.

BMW is a privately held company.
Appreciate 1
Kash63.00
      01-31-2018, 08:30 PM   #342
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

I think some car makers have an interest in durability, reliability, and reputation. Some of those who buy used may buy new one day when they have more money. I agree BMW has no legal liability for cars out of warranty unless it is discovered there was a defect and it was known to BMW, but if BMW is interested in its relationship with owners of its cars, whether original or 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th, only to the extent of its legal obligations, that may not be the smartest route in the long term since it may lose existing and potential repeat customers or used car owners who might buy new cars faster than it can find new buyers who are ignorant as to how it has treated past owners when cars have had problems.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 08:50 PM   #343
Dr. Dre
the doctor
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
I think some car makers have an interest in durability, reliability, and reputation. Some of those who buy used may buy new one day when they have more money. I agree BMW has no legal liability for cars out of warranty unless it is discovered there was a defect and it was known to BMW, but if BMW is interested in its relationship with owners of its cars, whether original or 2nd, 3rd, 4th or 5th, only to the extent of its legal obligations, that may not be the smartest route in the long term since it may lose existing and potential repeat customers or used car owners who might buy new cars faster than it can find new buyers who are ignorant as to how it has treated past owners when cars have had problems.
Last I checked BMW or BMW NA doesn't seem to have any difficulty selling M3 or M4. Do a poll. How many people who buy used M3/M4 goes out and buy a new BMW. I bet it's not that many.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 09:31 PM   #344
admranger
Retired Curmudgeon
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘19 X3M40i, ‘18 m550i

Quote:
Last I checked BMW or BMW NA doesn't seem to have any difficulty selling M3 or M4. Do a poll. How many people who buy used M3/M4 goes out and buy a new BMW. I bet it's not that many.
I've bought 7 new BMWs, 3 were M3's. Technically, the X5 is a lease, but the rest were purchased new (3 euro delivery).

You have to get people hooked on your product one way or another. Having your product eat its engine is not terrific marketing, unless they are catering to masochists.

I do agree that once it is out of warranty it's not their problem. It may not even hurt their business to lose potential future customers as they seem to sell quite a few cars (though sales were down significantly in 2017).

Regardless, they made a design error. I wish they'd own up to it.

'19 X3 M40 Carbon Black/Oyster, '23 Jeep Grand Cherokee L Summit, Past BMWs: '18 M550i, '18 330 GT, '16 X5 40e, '11 E90M3, '06 X5 4.4, '03 330i ZHP, '02 M3, '97 Z3 2.8, '95 M3 (2x), '94 530i (manual), '92 525i (manual), '88 M3, '87 325iS
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2018, 10:04 PM   #345
Bartledoo
Driver
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
I've been a District Manager for 3 different automakers for 20 years. First, once the warranty is over the manufacture has no obligation. It could be 1 mile over or 1 day over once the warranty is out you're on your own.

How many of us have the ability to go out and by a new m3. We provide no benefit to BMW or BMW NA.

I've purchased 3 used M3, I don't mean shit to BMW NA. BMW makes money selling NEW cars and selling PARTS.

Honestly, I believe a lot of us can easily buy a new M3/4. Personally, not a single BMW after the E9XM/E6XM appeals to me and I doubt one ever will again. Many of us paid for these non-warrantied E9Xs in all or mostly cash (as one should be able to for a vehicle with potential very costly issues and maintenance).
Appreciate 1
Kash63.00
      01-31-2018, 10:40 PM   #346
Dr. Dre
the doctor
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by admranger View Post
I've bought 7 new BMWs, 3 were M3's. Technically, the X5 is a lease, but the rest were purchased new (3 euro delivery).

You have to get people hooked on your product one way or another. Having your product eat its engine is not terrific marketing, unless they are catering to masochists.

I do agree that once it is out of warranty it's not their problem. It may not even hurt their business to lose potential future customers as they seem to sell quite a few cars (though sales were down significantly in 2017).

Regardless, they made a design error. I wish they'd own up to it.

You're the exception. Just being on this forum it seems that most of us on here bought their M3 used. It's more likely that if your engine failed BMW would probably provide some assistance or even replace your engine under goodwill. You've provided BMW with significant profits for each vehicle you've purchased.

Someone like me has provided no real profits to BMW NA. Why should they help me if my engine fails. Why should they open their pockets and spend thousands for someone that has not spent any money with BMW.
Appreciate 1
admranger2984.50
      02-01-2018, 06:38 AM   #347
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

This forum is a small percentage of M3 owners and most members don’t post much. Obviously all were new cars once. Probably half were leased if I am correctly assuming that is about the average lease rate for BMW. Most of the leased cars were sold used after the lease. And the original owner retention rate drops in the age range of these cars — 5 to 10 years old.

Still, if BMW wants me to buy more BMW whether new or used, it better make products I like and be a car company I trust. And those who say BMW does not care what happens to their used cars, I don’t think that is true. If any car maker becomes known for having junk cars once they are 5 years old, it’s reputation will go down fast. While many change hands, there is that percentage who keep their cars for a long time. It would be really short sighted for BMW to not care, though unfortunately sometimes companies and governments don’t appear to be thinking very far ahead.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2018, 07:06 AM   #348
CSBM5
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Comp, 2011 M3, etc

Only a shrinking minority of new M3/M4s are actually purchased -- the large majority of them are leased (greater than 80% in some markets). The marketplace customer is vastly different today than the "old" model of someone researching a purchase and then actually buying a car. BMWNA caters their most resources to the lessees of today; overall, BMWNA leases ~62% of all "sales" (only Nissan beat them by a point to be the lease leader), but as MSRP rises, that lease rate goes up quickly.

That "modern BMW 'buyer'" doesn't care about long-term reliability, service costs, out of warranty longevity...none of that. They care about one thing only -- monthly payment. During their lease, all the costs of maintenance and repair will be taken care of, so only the inconvenience of a unwanted repair visit is lingering out there for BMWNA to worry about.

As the board BMW insider has pointed out on more than one occasion, BMWNA is strongly focusing on "status" and marketing plans are all geared around that central core. Market "status", divide up the market via "monthly payment lease brackets", wash, rinse, repeat. BMWNA circa 2013+...living by the lease, dying (?) by the lease.
2007 E91 328i Silver, slushbox, Eibach fr/E93 M3 rear sway bars, ARC-8
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2018, 07:48 AM   #349
Teufel_Hunden
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 6MT LMB ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSBM5 View Post
Only a shrinking minority of new M3/M4s are actually purchased -- the large majority of them are leased (greater than 80% in some markets). The marketplace customer is vastly different today than the "old" model of someone researching a purchase and then actually buying a car. BMWNA caters their most resources to the lessees of today; overall, BMWNA leases ~62% of all "sales" (only Nissan beat them by a point to be the lease leader), but as MSRP rises, that lease rate goes up quickly.

That "modern BMW 'buyer'" doesn't care about long-term reliability, service costs, out of warranty longevity...none of that. They care about one thing only -- monthly payment. During their lease, all the costs of maintenance and repair will be taken care of, so only the inconvenience of a unwanted repair visit is lingering out there for BMWNA to worry about.

As the board BMW insider has pointed out on more than one occasion, BMWNA is strongly focusing on "status" and marketing plans are all geared around that central core. Market "status", divide up the market via "monthly payment lease brackets", wash, rinse, repeat. BMWNA circa 2013+...living by the lease, dying (?) by the lease.
This is proven even more so with the newly announced subscription service where the cost of the car, insurance and maintenance is all wrapped up in one payment to BMW. And IIRC, you can even "subscribe" to a new vehicle every 12 months.
Appreciate 1
CSBM52722.50
      02-01-2018, 12:26 PM   #350
Dr. Dre
the doctor
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
This forum is a small percentage of M3 owners and most members don’t post much. Obviously all were new cars once. Probably half were leased if I am correctly assuming that is about the average lease rate for BMW. Most of the leased cars were sold used after the lease. And the original owner retention rate drops in the age range of these cars — 5 to 10 years old.

Still, if BMW wants me to buy more BMW whether new or used, it better make products I like and be a car company I trust. And those who say BMW does not care what happens to their used cars, I don’t think that is true. If any car maker becomes known for having junk cars once they are 5 years old, it’s reputation will go down fast. While many change hands, there is that percentage who keep their cars for a long time. It would be really short sighted for BMW to not care, though unfortunately sometimes companies and governments don’t appear to be thinking very far ahead.

Do you realize that BMW consistently ranks as one of the worst when it comes to overall quality. Their poor quality doesn't seem to impact their sales.They still sell a lot of cars. Their core market doesn't keep the car long enough to care about quality.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2018, 12:27 PM   #351
New2Roundel
Captain
Rep
Drives: Some fun stuff

Garage List
Quote:
While that's the "letter of the law", that's not always how it works. If you're a good customer who uses the dealer extensively, deals get made. A company may not cover the full bill, but if they see you've put money in their pocket, many companies will try to work with you. I've read stories just like that on this website---sometimes it takes some effort, but it definitely happens.

Quote:
Even if true, that has no bearing on the conversation. BMW sells plenty of cars below the price of the M3. Overall price has no bearing on what BMW makes off of you--it's all about the margins. You buy a highly optioned 320/328, BMW is making a pretty penny off you vs a base model version of the same car.

Quote:
So you don't buy BMW parts? Savvy brands realize that it is in their interest to make fans of the brand. It's definitely not unheard of for companies to offer good will to customers who have an out-of-warranty car (which necessitates the whole concept of good will anyway).

Quote:
Tell me about the stock price for the BMW group: https://www.bmwgroup.com/en/investor...%20shares.html Looks publicly traded to me...
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2018, 05:56 PM   #352
Dr. Dre
the doctor
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Roundel View Post
While that's the "letter of the law", that's not always how it works. If you're a good customer who uses the dealer extensively, deals get made. A company may not cover the full bill, but if they see you've put money in their pocket, many companies will try to work with you. I've read stories just like that on this website---sometimes it takes some effort, but it definitely happens.

Even if true, that has no bearing on the conversation. BMW sells plenty of cars below the price of the M3. Overall price has no bearing on what BMW makes off of you--it's all about the margins. You buy a highly optioned 320/328, BMW is making a pretty penny off you vs a base model version of the same car.

So you don't buy BMW parts? Savvy brands realize that it is in their interest to make fans of the brand. It's definitely not unheard of for companies to offer good will to customers who have an out-of-warranty car (which necessitates the whole concept of good will anyway).

Tell me about the stock price for the BMW group: https://www.bmwgroup.com/en/investor...%20shares.html Looks publicly traded to me...

Has BMW offered GOODWILL to any customer with an S65 that was out of warranty (second or third owner).

BMW doesn't sell you a car. BMW NA sell cars to it franchise dealerships. The franchise dealership sell the car to the end customer. If a dealership wants to discount cars the manufacturer doesn't care. The manufacturer already got paid for that car.

BMW NA or any manufacturer cannot sell the franchise dealerships the same cars for different prices. A dealership selling you a car below invoice or at some big discount has no impact on BMW NA as the dealership has already paid BMW set price for that car. Let Me say it again. Manufacturer's cannot discount the price of a car to a dealership. If they did they they would get sued by other franchise dealerships.

None of your arguments will change the fact that with regards to the rod bearing issue BMW is not going to do anything. Keep up the wishful thinking.

If I were a District Manager for BMW and you were the second owner of an M3 with a rod bearing issue I wouldn't approve any assistance or offer any goodwill. Why? Why should BMW spend thousands to fix your engine when you effectively haven't spent a dime with them. You bought a used car out of warranty.

Last edited by Dr. Dre; 02-01-2018 at 06:05 PM..
Appreciate 0