BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications

EXXEL Distributions

02-11-2016, 10:49 AM   #1
cruhz2k3
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 ZCP

Installed LUX H8 160

Like many others, I hated the OEM angel eye bulbs. I wanted something that matched the color of the headlights. So I ordered the LUX H8 160 bulbs.

Unboxing the bulbs

Remove headlamp cover by gently prying tabs with a flathead screwdriver

Locate OEM bulb, rotate right/clockwise (relative to this shot) to 'unlock' and remove.

Disconnect the plug. Careful with the clips, they are fragile.

The bulb has three uniquely sized 'teeth' that will need to match the corresponding slot in the headlamp in order for the bulb to go in. I was not able to determine the placement, I just put them in and kept turning until eventually it went into the housing. Then you have to turn it left/counter-clockwise to lock it back into place. Pain the rear...

The bulb installed. Like every other installation, impossible to take pictures of the bulb installation.

Comparison shots:

As you can see the color is much better!

Both bulbs replaced:

Install tips:

Be careful with the plug clips, they are very fragile!

Getting the bulb into place is very difficult. I watched videos and read other posts to try and figure it out. What worked for me was I took needle nose pliers and opened them all the way up and then clamped down on the LUX H8 between the rubber grommet and the 3 teeth. You could probably grab onto the base housing itself, but my needle nose pliers weren't big enough to do that. Then I angled the bulb 45 degrees relative to the housing and facing towards the front of the car. I swung the back of the bulb housing down and back towards the big void in the headlamp housing. Once I had the bulb down in the housing, I moved it forward so the stem of the LED was inside of the socket. Then with my other hand I grabbed the back of the LUX H8 housing and removed the pliers. Then with small movements I rotated the LUX H8 until the teeth lined up (you'll know because only then will the rubber grommet sit flush with the socket/housing). Then I turned it counter-clockwise (opposite of removal) to lock the bulb into place. The extra wiring can just be slid down into the headlamp housing, there is plenty of room.

I noticed that if you plug the bulb in and then turn on your lights, the bulb will flash but not stay illuminated. Maybe this is a safety feature? It only illuminated when I put bulb into the housing.

Now to my concerns...

Overall, the bulbs look fantastic. However, I think they are entirely too bright. Looking at them up close or even from 50 yards away, they are too bright. I tried to show it in pictures, but with my iPhone camera nothing looks like it does in person. Even at 50 yards away, I couldn't make out the angel eye ring because it was just this intense blinding light. With my headlights off, the road signs 100 feet away were lit up by these new bulbs. My main concern is blinding oncoming traffic or people in front of me. I kinda feel like one of those ricer civics that installs HID headlights in their halogen non-projector housings. Super bright and done incorrectly. Does anyone else experience this? Maybe LUX can weigh in?

I noticed on the website that the 'LUX H8 V5 COLOR ADJUSTABLE ANGEL EYES' are 2400 lumen and 'LUX H8 160' are 3200 lumen. If I wanted something dimmer - should I have gotten the adjustable?

Again, overall I'm happy with these and I think they are a good product.

Last edited by cruhz2k3; 02-11-2016 at 10:50 AM.. Reason: Removed shipping information...
Appreciate 1
      02-11-2016, 12:16 PM   #2
LuxAngelEyes
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Hey thanks for posting a very detailed review and your tips on the install too. The thing i find easiest for installing them is to lower the light into the housing ( with the LED end up) while holding the wire for balance. Once its in the headlight the Top of the light goes into the angel eye socket and use the wire to help guide it in place

For the brightness, have you taken a look at these in the daytime as well to see how the look?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2016, 05:27 PM   #3
cruhz2k3
Rep

Yes, they do look good in the daylight. I'm only concerned with the brightness at night. I guess I'm just wondering if everyone else that has them noticed they were too bright or if there's something wrong with mine - perhaps my install?
      02-14-2016, 11:43 AM   #4
JRob23
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Interesting. Is your car coded for higher output? I have the opposite of your problem. Mine aren't very bright. Ive been slacking on reaching out about this.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2016, 10:12 PM   #5
cruhz2k3
Rep

No coding that I'm aware of. Now I feel bad... I'd rather they be too bright than too dim lol.
      02-15-2016, 08:24 AM   #6
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruhz2k3 View Post
No coding that I'm aware of. Now I feel bad... I'd rather they be too bright than too dim lol.
They should be (very!) bright during night bro. Can't get enought of it in day light regardless.
Believe I checked and the coding (i.e. different supply voltage) doesn't affect the LED (was playing around with different settings before I went Lux160).

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2016, 09:31 AM   #7
LuxAngelEyes
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Coding will have no impact on these lights since they are already designed to overcome the dimming the car normally does
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2016, 11:29 AM   #8
rjd598
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
when i installed mine a fried didn't comment on how much brighter my headlight setup looked at night. he didn't say anything about it being blinding and he has led headlights. stop worrying about others on the road. these aren't hids
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2016, 10:57 PM   #9
cgyguy
Registered
Rep
Drives: N/A

Great write up, thank you for sharing! This is my concern precisely. I don't want to be a source of a safety hazard either and it's not about "stop worrying about others on the road. these aren't hids". They are still very blinding for oncoming traffic or being the unfortunate driving in front of someone with these.

Anyway, the V5 is what I have purchased and waiting to come in, it adjusts automatically to 70% for night time driving and still visible during the day with different adjustable levels of whites.

I think the V5 is the right balance for daytime and night time function. We'll see.... maybe I'll even post my results here as a comparable.
Appreciate 0