BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

12-20-2011, 11:12 PM   #1
blackbeast535
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 6MT Jerez Black

Has anyone removed aftermarket X-Pipe & gone back to stock?

Intake and exhaust are installed and I am deciding on my next mod. It's either going to be a Tune or X-Pipe.

The tune will either be Dinan, ESS or Evolve.

I love the sound of the Dinan rear mufflers. Sometimes I wish that it had a bit more sound and I'm now looking at an X-Pipe. I'm looking at the Challenge Street or Fabspeed pipe with secondary cat delete. Since I need to cut the stock mid-pipe I want to make sure this is the route that I want to go.

I would love to delete my primary cats but don't want to deal with emissions.

Has anyone ever installed one and later on removed it for the following
reasons:

1. Too loud for daily driving- wife or kids hate it.
2. Fitment issues/rattles
3. Too much attention with police
4. Drone became too much/pissed off neighbors.
5. Takes away from the class of an M3

I've pm'ed a few people but would like to get more responses on this one.

Since the stock midpipe needs to be cut, I could also just go to a muffler shop and have them remove the secondary cats and weld straight pipe in it's place to save some cash. I know I'm not going to gain a ton a power, I'm primarily look for a tad more sound/rasp.

Dwayne

E90 M3 Jerez Black/Bamboo Beige 6MT - BMW CCA
Dinan Rear Exhaust, Secondary Cat Delete, Dinan High Flow Carbon Fiber Intake, IND Painted Reflectors, BMW Edition Grills
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2011, 11:53 PM   #2
M3PO
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 IB E92

I added the Meisterschaft LX pipes (deletes secondary cats and resonators, retains primary cats) and I removed it for reasons 1,3, and 4. I'm not old and I don't have kids or a wife either lol. I went to an OEM x-pipe with secondary cat delete. It's only a little bit louder without the secondary cats.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 12:49 AM   #3
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Just bring the stock X-pipe to a good exhaust shop and they can cut the secondary cats out for around $200 at most shops. They can always weld them back in if you want.

The Fabspeed is suppose to avoid the Check engine light most of the time and if you add a tune, you can turn off the O2 sensors. Main advantage is you don't have to cut the stock X-pipe.

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 02:52 AM   #4
BimmerRob08
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3, Space Gray

If you stay with the X-pipe and High Flow Cats and software to illiminate the check light, you'll pass emissions in most states. Mine passes in NM. But you can swop back to stock if you need to for the reasons you posted. But without software, you'll eventualy end up with a check engine light or CEL for increased emissions. Good luck,
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 03:14 AM   #5
Taz@Evolve. P
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Quick enough

Thanks for considering us for your tune

Keep in mind that in most cases to remove the check engine light tuners such as ourselves will disable the 02 sensors, which in itself can impact emissions testing.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 06:53 AM   #6
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Many states just do obd2 plug in and even a high flow cat car may fail since the high flow cats are beyond the rear 02. It seems to me that a harness to extend the rear sensors to past the high flow cat (with relocated bungs) might help.

My question is would 100 cell metallic core race cats with rear 02 located after pass obd2 readiness?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 07:13 AM   #7
blackbeast535
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

In Maryland they perform the OBD-II test. I know that it will fail with a primary cat delete. Testing is done every two years. It's just a pain to go to the muffler shop and pay a hundred bucks to put the stock pipes back on for a five minute test. I'd rather just get rid of the secondaries and be done with it. I just need to know if there is an advantage to Challenge or Fabspeed - vs just gutting or deleting the secondary cats on the stock mid pipe.

Dinan Rear Exhaust, Secondary Cat Delete, Dinan High Flow Carbon Fiber Intake, IND Painted Reflectors, BMW Edition Grills
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 08:10 AM   #8
Shuke
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3 coupe

Once youve experienced the power and smoother acceleration from a primary cat delete, I dont know how you can go back.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 09:06 AM   #9
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT4

Dwayne if you get a X-pipe you'll need a tune to kill the CEL. If you get a tune and then decide later to get a X-pipe you'll need a new tune to kill the light. My suggestion would be to decide on the X-Pipe or some variant and then get a tune..............Phil
2016 GT4.....Sapphire Blue Metallic, Platinum stitch Leather/Alcantara interior, Carbon Fiber Trim, PCM w/Nav, Guards Red Belts, 2 Zone Climate, Sport Chrono, LWB, Smokers Pack, Big Gas Tank, Light Design Pack, Bi-Xenon w/PDL, Auto Dim Mirror, Clear Side Markers, GTS Clear Taillights
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 09:13 AM   #10
THE TECH
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Most on here will say that a tune isn't worth the money unless you're gonna get rid of the cats.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 09:14 AM   #11
J08M3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 COUPE

I went back to stock. I was much happier with slightly quieter sound, and no worries about state inspection or dealership issues.
      12-21-2011, 09:14 AM   #12
blackbeast535
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Phil,

If I get an X-Pipe with secondary cat delete it will not throw a CEL because the primaries are still in place. I'm really trying to figure out if I'll get tired of it as a few members have stated that it's gets annoying for a DD.

If I go ESS or Evolve they can always reprogram my tune for a catless setup.

Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 09:15 AM   #13
Shuke
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
Most on here will say that a tune isn't worth the money unless you're gonna get rid of the cats.
True. A tune without primary cat delete will yield neglible power results.

Just an primary cat delete will yeild 20-30 RWHP w/o a tune.

You can always just get a delete-r to kill the CEL. Thats what I did.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 09:26 AM   #14
///M Ryder
Grown Azz Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbeast535 View Post
Phil,

If I get an X-Pipe with secondary cat delete it will not throw a CEL because the primaries are still in place. I'm really trying to figure out if I'll get tired of it as a few members have stated that it's gets annoying for a DD.

If I go ESS or Evolve they can always reprogram my tune for a catless setup.
My car is my daily and trust me when I say, I never get tired of the rumble . Even the smell of no cats gets your juices going. With the Dinan set up there's no drone and the exhaust is fairly tame until it's time to go. You don't get the first start of the day noise all day...............Phil
2016 GT4.....Sapphire Blue Metallic, Platinum stitch Leather/Alcantara interior, Carbon Fiber Trim, PCM w/Nav, Guards Red Belts, 2 Zone Climate, Sport Chrono, LWB, Smokers Pack, Big Gas Tank, Light Design Pack, Bi-Xenon w/PDL, Auto Dim Mirror, Clear Side Markers, GTS Clear Taillights
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 09:39 AM   #15
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [10.00]
Just an FYI, the people stating that you can still fail inspections with a tune are correct.

The tunes turn the O2 sensors to a "not ready" state so they won't throw the CEL. Most state inspection places test the readiness of these sensors, so when they show up as "not ready," you'll still fail.

I know the OP isn't interested in a primary cat delete, but just to set the record straight. Good luck with your choice. I was looking at x-pipes for a while, but I'm not sure if I can be bothered with the inspection nonsense... and in all honesty, keeping the primary cats means there's really not much to gain power wise, so at the end of the day I'm not sure how much it really is worth to go through the trouble.
      12-21-2011, 09:45 AM   #16
LarThaL
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuke View Post
Once youve experienced the power and smoother acceleration from a primary cat delete, I dont know how you can go back.
That's fine, but how are all the people who do this passing emissions testing? In MA, it is an OBD plug-in and you have to pass both readiness and CEL functions.
      12-21-2011, 09:45 AM   #17
Nautik
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW M3 DCT

Just use the factory Xpipe and gut the secondary cat. 200 bucks at an exhaust shop is what most people seem to report for that.
      12-21-2011, 09:48 AM   #18
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by VVG View Post
That's fine, but how are all the people who do this passing emissions testing? In MA, it is an OBD plug-in and you have to pass both readiness and CEL functions.
Depending on the state, they may or may not be. In CA, you would have to put them back on to pass the tests.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 09:48 AM   #19
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nautik View Post
Just use the factory Xpipe and gut the secondary cat. 200 bucks at an exhaust shop is what most people seem to report for that.
That's won't necessarily pass the smog test.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 10:01 AM   #20
Shuke
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VVG View Post
$$

Many shops will give you a sticker for $50-75.

Worst case you throw a stock x pipe back on and get your car inspected and then switch back.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2011, 05:22 AM   #21
armyav8tor
n1smo
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
I had to remove the Akra mid pipe to pass emissions here in N.C. I finally got around to reinstalling it after 2 months. I have decided it is worth it to do this every time I have to pass emissions. Yeah, it takes a few hours but it allows me to check under the car while I'm at it.

Race Ramps and rear end on jack stands = easy job:
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2011, 11:51 AM   #22
Ateam
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

I would be shocked if you had a wife that did not mind it. It also will draw much more attention and be much MUCH louder if you delete primaries. I am always tempted to but at the end of the day for me the benefit simply does not outweigh the costs. I personally would be too paranoid to drive and get stuck in front of a cop and smell like a factory of pollution and somehow the one cop I stop in front of knows something about cars and checks my exhaust. No need to get a record for 20 hp. Obviously a low chance but not worth it for me
Appreciate 0