BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

European Auto Source (EAS)

04-18-2012, 12:22 AM   #1
DJDeez
Got my license back!
Canada
Rep
Drives: TransLink

Question My BMW Remote

Will we see an Android release?
aFe cold air intake system (stage 2) ▫ Agency Power cat delete/section 2 midpipes ▫ Agency Power exhaust system ▫ Beltronics STiR Plus ▫ BMW M style (ZHP) weighted short shift knob ▫ CIC iDrive ▫ Clutch pedal spring removal ▫ Coding ▫ Evolve-R tune ▫ Laser Interceptor ▫ LUX H8 V3 Angel Eyes ▫ pickyeater334 clutch stop ▫ Rear fog lights (2011 light control switch assembly) ▫ T3 Alpha laser gun protection ▫ Turner Motorsport power pulley kit
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 08:14 AM   #2
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
It was talked about both online and in one of the other threads about it.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 09:52 AM   #3
dadealus
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13'E92 M3

BMW is for people who use apple

Audi is for people who use android
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 02:40 PM   #4
DJDeez
Got my license back!
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
It was talked about both online and in one of the other threads about it.
It was talked about on-line? Insightful. I did numerous searches and was unable to find any updates since last year. I do appreciate the insight and will be sure to give it the due consideration it deserves
aFe cold air intake system (stage 2) ▫ Agency Power cat delete/section 2 midpipes ▫ Agency Power exhaust system ▫ Beltronics STiR Plus ▫ BMW M style (ZHP) weighted short shift knob ▫ CIC iDrive ▫ Clutch pedal spring removal ▫ Coding ▫ Evolve-R tune ▫ Laser Interceptor ▫ LUX H8 V3 Angel Eyes ▫ pickyeater334 clutch stop ▫ Rear fog lights (2011 light control switch assembly) ▫ T3 Alpha laser gun protection ▫ Turner Motorsport power pulley kit
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 03:11 PM   #5
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJDeez View Post
It was talked about on-line? Insightful. I did numerous searches and was unable to find any updates since last year. I do appreciate the insight and will be sure to give it the due consideration it deserves
Don't be lazy, it's as simple as that. If you really did search, you would have found the threads on it. I know cause I made one. There are also some on E90.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 03:47 PM   #6
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Ice Cream Truck

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Don't be lazy, it's as simple as that. If you really did search, you would have found the threads on it. I know cause I made one. There are also some on E90.
Yes you did sir.
      04-18-2012, 03:53 PM   #7
DJDeez
Got my license back!
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Sigh. Re-read my first post and this time a little more slowly so you can fully comprehend all six words. Now, what was that about being lazy?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 03:56 PM   #8
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJDeez View Post
Sigh. Re-read my first post and this time a little more slowly so you can fully comprehend all six words. Now, what was that about being lazy?
Be as sarcastic as you want but if you would have looked instead of making a thread, you would already have had an answer and not wasted bandwidth.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 08:06 PM   #9
crabman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5M

I didn't pull up a single thread regarding My bmw remote most likely because when I use search I get an error with bmw as a search term. I tried using android and remote and got a return but no threads discussing this that had any kind of timeline or even a yes/no answer. None made by The Tech.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 08:13 PM   #10
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabman
I didn't pull up a single thread regarding My bmw remote most likely because when I use search I get an error with bmw as a search term. I tried using android and remote and got a return but no threads discussing this that had any kind of timeline or even a yes/no answer. None made by The Tech.
Dude, click on techs name, then click see all his thread posts, then read his thread about the dam remote! His thread has to be the longest one in history about the remote app.

And no, you droid peeps will probably not get an app! As already mentioned, BMW is an apple deal. You want droid stuff, buy and Audi.

Kthxbye
      04-18-2012, 08:14 PM   #11
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Double post
      04-18-2012, 08:55 PM   #12
crabman
Captain
Rep

Dude! Tried that, I DID search. The man has over 5k posts and the first 5 pages only took me back 2 days. I also did a forum search. For christs sake it isn't that hard to answer a question and I don't give a flying fuck what an audi can or cant do. But thank you for finally at least coming somewhat close to attempting an answer.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 09:22 PM   #13
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabman
Dude! Tried that, I DID search. The man has over 5k posts and the first 5 pages only took me back 2 days. I also did a forum search. For christs sake it isn't that hard to answer a question and I don't give a flying fuck what an audi can or cant do. But thank you for finally at least coming somewhat close to attempting an answer.
You must have looked at his POSTS, not THREADS. Oh boy.

Regardless of that, no BMW remote for you! BMW doesn't give a flying fuck about droid! How about them apples.
      04-18-2012, 11:22 PM   #14
crabman
Captain
Rep

Oh boy back at ya. I already said I searched. That includes searching The Techs THREADS in the advanced search which is why I already said I did not find such a THREAD started by him. Again, he has no thread started discussing when or if android will or wont get My BMW Remote that shows up when I search his name. Need a repeat or did you get it that time? I also read his recent posts because he made it sound as if he had been recently discussing this, not the case or at least not recent enough to be found in a reasonable time. I don't need or want My BMW remote. I have never once lost my car or been locked out of it in my fifty years on the planet and I'm not expecting to start now. I just like to learn and you have made me exactly zero smarter. But thanks just the same.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 12:04 AM   #15
BIGW0RM
You got my money?
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by crabman View Post
Oh boy back at ya. I already said I searched. That includes searching The Techs THREADS in the advanced search which is why I already said I did not find such a THREAD started by him. Again, he has no thread started discussing when or if android will or wont get My BMW Remote that shows up when I search his name. Need a repeat or did you get it that time? I also read his recent posts because he made it sound as if he had been recently discussing this, not the case or at least not recent enough to be found in a reasonable time. I don't need or want My BMW remote. I have never once lost my car or been locked out of it in my fifty years on the planet and I'm not expecting to start now. I just like to learn and you have made me exactly zero smarter. But thanks just the same.

Ok, I'll do the work for you. Lets google it first. Im going to use "BMW MY REMOTE APP FOR ANDROID"

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sclient...w=1920&bih=955

Half way down the results you see the following link...

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?p=11785088

If you want a droid app that does something, you can try this.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...roid.sendtocar

The bottom line is, they said they would have the app for driod and its been a year or more in waiting. From the sounds of it, they have given up! Who knows. Its a dead topic these days.

While being able to lock and unlock my doors is nice, I find more use out of this app, by being able to send directions to my NAVI thru the app. For example, passenger uses the app to find a location while Im driving. Once found, they send it to the navi. That way no one has to play with idrive and try to type stuff in. The phone is faster. Or you send directions to you car before you get in it. Its quick and easy via the iphone. Not sure if that app for droid works the same, but its all you guys got right now.

Hows that for a peace offering?
      04-19-2012, 01:04 AM   #16
crabman
Captain
Rep

Outstanding. I already have the app but not sure I'll ever use it. Easier just to say the name in the phone and done, google nav does excellent voice guidance. I wouldn't have got the nav in the car at all if it hadn't been bundled but in hindsight I think that might have been a mistake were it a possibility because the idrive integration makes it quite a bit easier to fiddle all the settings for the assorted crap.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 08:11 AM   #17
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Funny stuff!!

It's funny that when you actually search, it really does work! All I had to do was search my user name and put the word remote in the search box and I get all the threads I was talking about. Took literally 7 secs.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 08:44 AM   #18
crabman
Captain
Rep

Its funnier when you have done that, explained so, and not one thread was produced with that information the OP asked as I already said. The thread you started which you said has the answer that the OP seeks does not even contain the words android or droid and nowhere in it does it speak to this question.

ILSMKU at least ventured a try. I already had seen the general information that they were working on it and had the app he linked but that doesn't matter, what matters is he tried to contribute. I know how to search and I think if you read my posts you will have no doubt whatsoever that I do exactly that. A forum like this has many people with many different sources of information that a person might not think to try or even have access to, this is one of the greatest strength of a forum.

The sum total of your contribution here is zero. You have added nothing and you're knowledge however great it may be is wasted to the forum at large. Is this what you're about?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 08:56 AM   #19
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Its funnier when you have done that, explained so, and not one thread was produced with that information the OP asked as I already said. The thread you started which you said has the answer that the OP seeks does not even contain the words android or droid and nowhere in it does it speak to this question.

ILSMKU at least ventured a try. I already had seen the general information that they were working on it and had the app he linked but that doesn't matter, what matters is he tried to contribute. I know how to search and I think if you read my posts you will have no doubt whatsoever that I do exactly that. A forum like this has many people with many different sources of information that a person might not think to try or even have access to, this is one of the greatest strength of a forum.

The sum total of your contribution here is zero. You have added nothing and you're knowledge however great it may be is wasted to the forum at large. Is this what you're about?
I'm not worried about adding knowledge to this thread in particular. It's the sad fact that even though there are already several useful threads on the subject of the remote app that someone feels they need to start new ones rather than add something to a thread that already exists. Do I really wanna read 10 threads on the remote app just to find out what car it works for, what device it uses and when it will be available if these random thread starters would have just added to an original thread on a subject?

This forum seems to continue down the same path as other forums I have been on. People want the instant gratitude. Why search when they can add to the clutter by initiating yet another thread on an already conversed topic? Yes, maybe the Android topic is specific has not yet been discussed in full. But why the need for yet another thread about it?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 09:27 AM   #20
crabman
Captain
Rep

The question at hand was asked in exactly 2 directed threads and this is one of them. The other thread has exactly 2 responses neither of which say anything in particular. All the other threads are on the iphone and mostly speak to the issues of getting the app working on that platform and do not answer the question at hand either. A person with an iphone would find much useful information and a thread like this would be rehashing an already discussed topic. For android there are not "many" useful discussions on the android aspect to reference. There are not few useful discussions to reference. There are none.

Sometimes its easy to say search for the exact reasons you mention as well as others. And sometimes it seems on the face of it the information must be there so you do exactly that, tell someone to search, and yet it is not.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 09:33 AM   #21
THE TECH
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
The question at hand was asked in exactly 2 directed threads and this is one of them. The other thread has exactly 2 responses neither of which say anything in particular. All the other threads are on the iphone and mostly speak to the issues of getting the app working on that platform and do not answer the question at hand either. A person with an iphone would find much useful information and a thread like this would be rehashing an already discussed topic. For android there are not "many" useful discussions on the android aspect to reference. There are not few useful discussions to reference. There are none.

Sometimes its easy to say search for the exact reasons you mention as well as others. And sometimes it seems on the face of it the information must be there so you do exactly that, tell someone to search, and yet it is not.
While yes, the specific answer may have not been there, there were already threads on the subject. My philosophy is less is more. I don't wanna have to navigate a sea of threads to find info when one thread could have it all.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 01:27 PM   #22
DJDeez
Got my license back!
Canada
Rep

Quote:
My philosophy is less is more.
Total Posts: 5,340
Posts Per Day: 17.73

As crabman touched on earlier, thank you for contributing absolutely nothing other than a few more posts to your count
Appreciate 0