BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

01-03-2018, 12:46 PM   #67
JAYBLS
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgoldie187 View Post
I'm just going to address this final comment. I have tried to get all of my friends to work with me and start their own online businesses. None of them want to do it. Some tried and gave up after a few weeks. It's not easy. A combination of hard work, luck and good timing resulted in my business doing well.
And these "connections" you made. Just glaze over that part. It was really all your hard work and good timing as a result of your incredible intellect. It barely had anything to do with any support or random luck that fell in your lap. Nope, it was all your hard work.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 12:50 PM   #68
JAYBLS
Private
Rep

Quote:
I started working at a marketing firm when I was 13, became a "partner" at 14 (there were only two of us, so not that big of a deal). Age made no difference as it was all over the internet. I started selling websites on a forum and through some connections I made, met the people who would be the guys who showed me the ropes and ended up hiring me.

I set aside my college funds, have a retirement fund, and have various investments. I paid cash for my M3 because you live once and I never want to drive a boring car.

Since I started working I saved every single penny I made. Drove a 20 year old truck. Decided it was time to spoil myself with a nice car as I would watch YouTube videos of M3's for motivation everyday.
How does one get a job at a marketing firm at 13? Age definitely makes a legal difference, Internet or otherwise.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 12:51 PM   #69
JAYBLS
Private
Rep

How did you get that 20-year-old truck? From your job at the marketing firm? Were you homeschooled? How did you work a job and go to middle school? Were you raised by wolves too?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 12:58 PM   #70
cgoldie187
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYBLS View Post
And these "connections" you made. Just glaze over that part. It was really all your hard work and good timing as a result of your incredible intellect. It barely had anything to do with any support or random luck that fell in your lap. Nope, it was all your hard work.
Yep, they were guys that bought websites from me. We became friends, and they introduced me to my future boss. Pretty sure that's how things work.

Anyway guy I appreciate the time and effort you're putting into analyzing my life, I got a dentist appt to go to.

"WELL WAIT! WHO'S PAYING FOR THAT APPOINTMENT??? YOUR PARENTS!!!???"

Let me live!

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 01:04 PM   #71
JAYBLS
Private
Rep

Quote:
Yep, they were guys that bought websites from me. We became friends, and they introduced me to my future boss. Pretty sure that's how things work.

Anyway guy I appreciate the time and effort you're putting into analyzing my life, I got a dentist appt to go to.

"WELL WAIT! WHO'S PAYING FOR THAT APPOINTMENT??? YOUR PARENTS!!!???"

Let me live!

That is how things happen. But it typically takes a lifetime of working in a given career field that starts well after 13 years old. You were handed access to resources others have to put up with a lot of bullshit for a very long time to get. Lucky you! But don't try and say it was a result of your efforts when it was really a result of time and chance.

I want you to live whatever life you want to live. That won't stop me from calling out bullshit when I see it. Hard work is not responsible for your financial success. Timing might be, but it wasn't your 13-year-old insight that picked that timing. You got lucky and had a system that supported you. Most people do not have that. It's not just a question of picking one's socioeconomic status or there would be no socioeconomic status. Be grateful for how fortunate you've been and accept the fact that you had a ton of help. Stop giving people false hope that they can buy sports cars with cash at 20 years old if they just "work really hard."
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 01:12 PM   #72
cgoldie187
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: n/a

Quote:
I want you to live whatever life you want to live. That won't stop me from calling out bullshit when I see it. Hard work is not responsible for your financial success. Timing might be, but it wasn't your 13-year-old insight that picked that timing. You got lucky and had a system that supported you. Most people do not have that. It's not just a question of picking one's socioeconomic status or there would be no socioeconomic status. Be grateful for how fortunate you've been and accept the fact that you had a ton of help. Stop giving people false hope that they can buy sports cars with cash at 20 years old if they just "work really hard."
Yes, obviously I am fortunate to be in the situation I'm in, born in Southern California to parents who worked very hard to have a relatively comfortable life. That's undeniable!

We could theorize all day as to what would have happened if certain parts of my situation were different. I understand I am very lucky.

I'm just a happy kid who loves to drive his M3, loves attending his university, and has great friends.

No complaints over here. Thanks for your time and advice.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 01:14 PM   #73
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
That is how things happen. But it typically takes a lifetime of working in a given career field that starts well after 13 years old. You were handed access to resources others have to put up with a lot of bullshit for a very long time to get. Lucky you! But don't try and say it was a result of your efforts when it was really a result of time and chance.

Whatever problem you have going you can't load your shit onto the net. Comes out bloody rude. Just stop.
Appreciate 4
Ab28592.50
Ngilbe361618.50
Scharbag2620.50
      01-03-2018, 01:15 PM   #74
JAYBLS
Private
Rep

Quote:
Yes, obviously I am fortunate to be in the situation I'm in, born in Southern California to parents who worked very hard to have a relatively comfortable life. That's undeniable!

We could theorize all day as to what would have happened if certain parts of my situation were different. I understand I am very lucky.

I'm just a happy kid who loves to drive his M3, loves attending his university, and has great friends.

No complaints over here. Thanks for your time and advice.
okie dokie
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 01:19 PM   #75
JAYBLS
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
Whatever problem you have going you can't load your shit onto the net. Comes out bloody rude. Just stop.
I'm sorry for trying to call out bullshit. It seems being surrounded by so much of it, we've decided the ones pushing it on us are, at worst, neutral and those pointing it out are considered "bloody rude."

I think 6mt is better than auto!

These cars are too luxurious for me because I'm a TRUE enthusiast! I wish they were more harsh and shittier!

Should I buy this car for $26k and 146k miles?

There, is that better?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 01:28 PM   #76
Scharbag
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
This idea that one is in control of a car with a manual transmission more so than one with a dual clutch is absolutely ridiculous. You 'save the manuals' clowns should get along quite well with vegans; you all seem to have been bestowed with magical powers bereft of us mere mortals. Where's the zeal for manual steering? If this was about being in control of a car, it would seem the steering would be of far greater importance than shifting gears with a stick and pedal. People may bitch here and there about electric steering, but nobody brags about or makes t shirts idolizing manual steering. An E9x M3, regardless of what transmission may be installed, has a host of dynamic stability controls and hydraulic boosters which do the EXACT OPPOSITE of give the driver absolute control of the vehicle. If you're a real manual enthusiast, you need a bicycle - You can even manually change gears on those.
I am not sure if ice racers would agree with your opening thesis. Rev matching is actually not wanted in a FWD car when you flick it into a corner. You actually use the dumping of the clutch on downshift to help pitch it in there all aggressive like. I guess you could use the E-brake but I would rather dump the clutch with both hands on the wheel.

False logic there on the steering though. The hydraulic power assist steering (in the E9x M3) vs non-assisted (manual) steering is not even close to DCT vs 6MT. It is actually quite easy to simply plug the rack and remove the power steering as it is really not needed (but is sure is nice when parallel parking). Once your car is rolling, power assisted steering is really not needed. I have raced a number of sedans (BMW, Honda, Nissan) that have had the power assist deleted and it is just fine (except in the pits, after a race, when you are hot and tired...).

As for the 6MT VS DCT - to each their own. DCT is, objectively, the faster E9x transmission. BMW, other than a few leaking gaskets, nailed the DCT for the E9x. My personal preference is for a 6MT. Just like my personal preference is to eat rib-eye over strip-loin, coupes over sedans and bourbon over scotch.

To the OP, good on ya for living life. Tomorrow is promised to no one and you cannot take your money with you.

Cheers,

2011 E92 M3 - 6MT, ZCP, ZF LSD, ESS G1, Some other goodies...
Appreciate 1
Ngilbe361618.50
      01-03-2018, 01:38 PM   #77
Ab28
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3/E39 M5/128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
Couldn't agree more.

Just because the kid has done something with himself the guy calls BS.

How he thinks hard work cannot bring one up the socioeconomic ladder is beyond me.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 01:40 PM   #78
JAYBLS
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scharbag View Post
I am not sure if ice racers would agree with your opening thesis. Rev matching is actually not wanted in a FWD car when you flick it into a corner. You actually use the dumping of the clutch on downshift to help pitch it in there all aggressive like. I guess you could use the E-brake but I would rather dump the clutch with both hands on the wheel.

False logic there on the steering though. The hydraulic power assist steering (in the E9x M3) vs non-assisted (manual) steering is not even close to DCT vs 6MT. It is actually quite easy to simply plug the rack and remove the power steering as it is really not needed (but is sure is nice when parallel parking). Once your car is rolling, power assisted steering is really not needed. I have raced a number of sedans (BMW, Honda, Nissan) that have had the power assist deleted and it is just fine (except in the pits, after a race, when you are hot and tired...).

As for the 6MT VS DCT - to each their own. DCT is, objectively, the faster E9x transmission. BMW, other than a few leaking gaskets, nailed the DCT for the E9x. My personal preference is for a 6MT. Just like my personal preference is to eat rib-eye over strip-loin, coupes over sedans and bourbon over scotch.

To the OP, good on ya for living life. Tomorrow is promised to no one and you cannot take your money with you.

Cheers,
You're drinking the wrong scotch.

But seriously, I'm on board with manual being a personal preference having nothing to do with having better control or feel. As far as the power assisted steering, I was pointing out one of the many things counter to the "driver involvement" argument; if that really is the point of the preference then why have a car with power steering, let alone something as big and heavy and laden with safety electronics? Hydraulic steering necessarily dampens steering feel, even if you block/loop it because it still has hydraulic fluid in the system. So, if one were intent on having a completely driver involved experience with ultimate feedback and control, one would need to either significantly modify the E9x M or get a different car altogether.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 01:42 PM   #79
JAYBLS
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lat77 View Post
Couldn't agree more.

Just because the kid has done something with himself the guy calls BS.

How he thinks hard work cannot bring one up the socioeconomic ladder is beyond me.
Life experience, observation, and the refusal to believe something is true just because I want it to be: pretty much all the things anyone who believes hard work results in the advancement of socioeconomic status lacks.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 01:47 PM   #80
Prefontaine
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

What was intended to be a critique of rich kids buying flashy cars came off as a personal attack against the OP. I apologize for that.

OP — best of luck with both your business and automotive endeavors. Regardless of the former, you’ve got good taste in the latter.

Glad to see we could at least bring a DCT vs 6MT debate out of this thread .
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 02:08 PM   #81
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scharbag View Post
Quote:
This idea that one is in control of a car with a manual transmission more so than one with a dual clutch is absolutely ridiculous. You 'save the manuals' clowns should get along quite well with vegans; you all seem to have been bestowed with magical powers bereft of us mere mortals. Where's the zeal for manual steering? If this was about being in control of a car, it would seem the steering would be of far greater importance than shifting gears with a stick and pedal. People may bitch here and there about electric steering, but nobody brags about or makes t shirts idolizing manual steering. An E9x M3, regardless of what transmission may be installed, has a host of dynamic stability controls and hydraulic boosters which do the EXACT OPPOSITE of give the driver absolute control of the vehicle. If you're a real manual enthusiast, you need a bicycle - You can even manually change gears on those.

Cheers,
Rib eye over sirloin, check! Bourbon over Scotch, check. Have you tried Basil Hayden? It's a Kentucky straight Bourbon Whiskey. Very smooth with no kick. Definitely my favorite and a bottle that I gift to others when called for.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 02:11 PM   #82
JAYBLS
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOF-M3 View Post
Rib eye over sirloin, check! Bourbon over Scotch, check. Have you tried Basil Hayden? It's a Kentucky straight Bourbon Whiskey. Very smooth with no kick. Definitely my favorite and a bottle that I gift to others when called for.
Are there people that prefer sirloin to rib eye? Probably people that like it cooked well done.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 02:20 PM   #83
zipper228
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 M3

Quote:
I support your choice of BH. Great value for the price in IMO. Kinda like these cars..
Appreciate 1
BOOF-M34451.50
      01-03-2018, 04:01 PM   #84
Scharbag
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Are there people that prefer sirloin to rib eye? Probably people that like it cooked well done.
Strip-loin (like NY Strip), not sirloin :P

And what is this well done you speak of?

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 04:03 PM   #85
burtonsbs5114
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 F87 M2c. LBB, 6mt

Garage List
Quote:
I agree with all of these statements. Basil Hayden happens to be one of my favorite bourbons as well! My local liquor store currently has it on special for $30/bottle. Definitely scooped a few.
      01-03-2018, 04:55 PM   #86
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Dang I hop back on here after my 18 hour day of selling magic beans as a 7 year old that wrote a check for my E90 and find a thread that has brought out the most passion I've seen out of you folks.....

....over how someone started saving cash 10 years ago??

Kudos to you, OP! It's nice to work hard and have some luck on your side to let you enjoy life ain't it?

Drive the balls off the thing. I've had about as many cars as I've had years on this rock and this one is something special. I churn through about 20k miles a year on mine just on my work commute. You better believe we take it to dinner, too, so chuck a few more miles to that annual number. Fantastic machines!
Appreciate 1
      01-03-2018, 06:09 PM   #87
Scharbag
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:

Given the average purchase price of an M3 is close to the average US FAMILY INCOME ($59K) is in a year, I would question the validity of your statement above. No one who owns an M3 should judge how others spend their money. Judge not lest ye be judged and all that.

OP: good on ya for liking cars. Never ever feel bad about where you come from. That was not your choice. Make the most of life, be a good person, give back to those who deserve when you can. And, most importantly, burn off as many sets of tires as possible on your journey through life!!

As for the haters? Ignore them, cause haters will hate. Such is life.

Snoochy boochy!!

Appreciate 3
      01-03-2018, 06:17 PM   #88
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post
Dang I hop back on here after my 18 hour day of selling magic beans as a 7 year old that wrote a check for my E90 and find a thread that has brought out the most passion I've seen out of you folks.....

....over how someone started saving cash 10 years ago??

Kudos to you, OP! It's nice to work hard and have some luck on your side to let you enjoy life ain't it?

Drive the balls off the thing. I've had about as many cars as I've had years on this rock and this one is something special. I churn through about 20k miles a year on mine just on my work commute. You better believe we take it to dinner, too, so chuck a few more miles to that annual number. Fantastic machines!
You will be receiving a bottle of Basil Hayden in the mail shortly buddy. Of course it will be half empty. Or in your case, half full.
Appreciate 1