BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

EXXEL Distributions

01-03-2018, 10:26 AM   #45
e93 jonesy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 M3, E86 Z4M, W219 CLS63s

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOF-M3 View Post
We have two M3's that are driven daily. We have another BMW that sits unless needed and a truck. We both opted for using the M's as DD because we enjoy being in them so much. We can afford the gas money so we don't even think about the monthly costs associated with DDing them. Wise decision? Probably not but I'm enjoying being in mine right this moment.
Hell Yeah!!!

See, I get this all the time too... Why do I drive a car that's expensive to maintain, and terrible on gas... damn... The M3 is a brilliant car, multipurpose and all of that good stuff... If you can afford the gas and maintenance driving it daily should not be a problem. I bought the thing to drive everyday not to park away... hahahah...

Previous daily drivers... Best list:

1. 91 VW GTI (Hot Rod swapped euro 2.9 VR6) - Fast as hell and super reliable
2. 11 M3 (current)
3. 99 E430 Sport

Worst Daily driver of all time
Jaguar XJR... don't ask... heheheh

jonesy...
Appreciate 1
BOOF-M34451.50
      01-03-2018, 10:29 AM   #46
JAYBLS
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 coupe

Quote:
We have two M3's that are driven daily. We have another BMW that sits unless needed and a truck. We both opted for using the M's as DD because we enjoy being in them so much. We can afford the gas money so we don't even think about the monthly costs associated with DDing them. Wise decision? Probably not but I'm enjoying being in mine right this moment.
This is living the dream, in my opinion.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 10:51 AM   #47
Ab28
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3/E39 M5/128i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYBLS View Post
Oh, he just "started an online business at a young age." That totally explains everything. When one wants to make money, one just starts an online business and one recieves money. I guess all those people working minimum wage jobs are just idiots! If they were smart, they'd just work really hard and "start an online business." I wish I would've thought of starting an online business when I was young. It would have saved me the trouble of everything else I've had to do in the last 20 or so years to "earn" what I have now. I can totally see how starting an online business when you're young would afford you the opportunity to pay for your own tuition and buy a $30k car with cash. Let's see: step one - underpants! step two - ... step three - profit!
Starting the RIGHT online business absolutely can afford you all the things the OP has stated.

Don't confuse someone who works a minimum wage job with someone that utilizes technology as a resource/at scale. It's a totally different mindset.

Not every online business is successful. You are making huge generalizations.

You also have no idea what his tuition costs.
Appreciate 2
BOOF-M34451.50
      01-03-2018, 10:55 AM   #48
JAYBLS
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lat77 View Post
Starting the RIGHT online business absolutely can afford you all the things the OP has stated.

Don't confuse someone who works a minimum wage job with someone that utilizes technology at scale. It's a totally different mindset.

Not every online business is successful. You are making huge generalizations.

You also have no idea what his tuition costs.
OOOH it's about starting the RIGHT online business! *writes down "utilizes technology at scale"* Man, I'm learning so much about business from you guys! And you're right, there's no way I could possibly know average tuition costs...that information is very difficult to come by. Good thing I came in here. My business knowledge was severely lacking before these comments.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 11:01 AM   #49
Ngilbe36
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3, 2019 F150

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
OOOH it's about starting the RIGHT online business! *writes down "utilizes technology at scale"* Man, I'm learning so much about business from you guys! And you're right, there's no way I could possibly know average tuition costs...that information is very difficult to come by. Good thing I came in here. My business knowledge was severely lacking before these comments.
Counterpoint:
I DD a truck in the winter and my car most days in the summer.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 11:03 AM   #50
Prefontaine
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 M3

I’d love to hear more about his online business. As in, the specifics.

This is not a knock on the OP. Just because I couldn’t afford it (having to support myself in college as well as my sick mother) doesn’t mean others shouldn’t be able to work hard and have things like a last year of production, ZCP E92 M3 (read: one of the most expensive models on the used market available). I’m just incredulous because EVERY “rich kid” that you read about online or hear about through YouTube has actually had a significant amount of his life subsidized by his parents.

If I was truly on my own at age ~22 and had $35-40k lying around for a car, I’d probably still keep it in savings and start maxing out my IRA immediately. Because even if you have the money, your financial future as a college grad is still far too uncertain. Which leads me to believe that best case, he still has mommy and daddy to fall back on if things go south.

And for those who think this argument is dumb — this is refreshing compared to RBs, DCT v 6MT, etc.
Appreciate 2
Ab28592.50
      01-03-2018, 11:15 AM   #51
Ab28
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 M3/E39 M5/128i

Quote:
So glad I could help

FWIW, I'm also looking for details regarding his online business.

Maybe I'm just an optimist and believe that somebody can achieve their goals by using what's available to them.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 11:25 AM   #52
JAYBLS
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prefontaine View Post

This is not a knock on the OP. Just because I couldn’t afford it (having to support myself in college as well as my sick mother) doesn’t mean others shouldn’t be able to work hard and have things like a last year of production, ZCP E92 M3 (read: one of the most expensive models on the used market available). If I was truly on my own at age ~22 and had $35-40k lying around for a car, I’d probably still keep it in savings and start maxing out my IRA immediately. Because even if you have the money, your financial future as a college grad is still far too uncertain. Which leads me to believe that best case, he still has mommy and daddy to fall back on if things go south.
It does seem that someone with such a mind for business would be driving something a bit less cost intensive during college, doesn't it? That money could be put any number of places more conducive to "business." But who are we to question such an obviously successful entrepreneur? Personally, I'm totally ignorant of this business stuff.

Quote:
I’m just incredulous because EVERY “rich kid” that you read about online or hear about through YouTube has actually had a significant amount of his life subsidized by his parents.
And they all have some story. Like a lemonade stand or some such nonsense about how they started work earlier than everyone else did, all by themselves, and just learned business stuff as they grew their business until they could buy M3s with stacks of cash from their super successful business. Because BUSINESS! HARD WORK!

Quote:
And for those who think this argument is dumb — this is refreshing compared to RBs, DCT v 6MT, etc.
People don't like to have this conversation because it runs the risk of shattering the fantasy that wealth comes from hard work, dedication, and other things that are equally accessible to everyone and therefor wealth and financial success is itself proof of hard work and dedication and nothing else ESPECIALLY having a gigantic advantage over everyone else like a rich family.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 11:28 AM   #53
Ngilbe36
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
So glad I could help

Maybe I'm just an optimist and believe that somebody can achieve their goals by using what's available to them.
In a world where people who only make vlogs on YouTube can afford to buy Lambos, I have learned to not question what seems preposterous anymore. Someone lied to me when I was young and told me engineering was the way to go.
Appreciate 3
      01-03-2018, 11:28 AM   #54
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

It doesn't sound like a discussion. Sounds like a lecture.
Appreciate 2
      01-03-2018, 11:30 AM   #55
Ngilbe36
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Were you called on?
Appreciate 1
BOOF-M34451.50
      01-03-2018, 11:31 AM   #56
BOOF-M3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ngilbe36 View Post
Quote:
Were you called on?
Sorry sir.
Appreciate 1
Ngilbe361618.50
      01-03-2018, 11:34 AM   #57
JAYBLS
Private
Rep

Quote:
So glad I could help

If you ever get a successful person to honestly tell you all the details of their success, which is rare (and usually involves a lot of alcohol), I can all but guarantee your disappointment. There's no secret sauce or magical work ethic recipe for success.Everyone wants there to be so it's an easy lie to sell. Hard work can improve one's position slightly, but it'll never result in jumping rungs on the socioeconomic ladder.

Regardless of optimism or pessimism EVERYBODY achieves whatever they do using what's available to them; some have a great deal more available to them than most everyone else. There's nothing wrong with that. There are ways to make more things available to oneself, but without help it takes a life time. So when you see someone with resources that typically take a lifetime to achieve, it is without very much doubt at all you can conclude that person has received a significant amount of assistance, regardless of whether they realize it themselves or care to admit it.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 11:40 AM   #58
burtonsbs5114
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 F87 M2c. LBB, 6mt

Garage List
Dang, this thread took a turn.

Honestly, who cares how the OP got his money for his car. At the end of the day, if he bought it, his parents bought it, who cares. If OP did come from rich parents, how is that his 'fault'. Why get upset at him because of that? Inn my opinion, OP has not made a single douche comment or anything of the like, so why all the hostility?
      01-03-2018, 11:41 AM   #59
JAYBLS
Private
Rep

Quote:
My bad. I have a tendency to make it seem that way. All I can do is apologize because after a long time trying to change it, I'm still doing it. I'm not trying to lecture, just hoping to build a conversation around a topic everyone seems to avoid like the plague.
Appreciate 1
BOOF-M34451.50
      01-03-2018, 11:44 AM   #60
DSilk
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW M3 Coupe

Garage List
2015 Jaguar XJ  [0.00]
2015 Jaguar XF  [0.00]
2014 VW GTI  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2007 VW Passat 2.0T  [0.00]
Quote:
This idea that one is in control of a car with a manual transmission more so than one with a dual clutch is absolutely ridiculous. You 'save the manuals' clowns should get along quite well with vegans; you all seem to have been bestowed with magical powers bereft of us mere mortals. Where's the zeal for manual steering? If this was about being in control of a car, it would seem the steering would be of far greater importance than shifting gears with a stick and pedal. People may bitch here and there about electric steering, but nobody brags about or makes t shirts idolizing manual steering. An E9x M3, regardless of what transmission may be installed, has a host of dynamic stability controls and hydraulic boosters which do the EXACT OPPOSITE of give the driver absolute control of the vehicle. If you're a real manual enthusiast, you need a bicycle - You can even manually change gears on those.
The issue with manual transmissions has more to do with driver involvement than driver control, although a true manual gearbox will never shift for you, unlike the majority of automated manuals (that can disregard or overrule driver selection or inaction). There is also a bit of the smug condescention that comes from the knowledge that it takes more driver skill to properly drive a 3 pedal manual than a paddle shift. With respect to power assisted steering, the near death of manual steering (it still exists on the Lotus Elise and Caterham 7) has far more to do with the increased girth of modern cars than it does for any lack of desire to maintain full and unassisted control. While steering boxes could be designed with sufficient gearing reductions to make manual steering possible in a 3,600 lb car, the trade-off would be a large steering whell with ratios that give you 4 turns lock to lock; Hardly a recipe for spirited driving.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 11:53 AM   #61
JAYBLS
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSilk View Post
The issue with manual transmissions has more to do with driver involvement than driver control, although a true manual gearbox will never shift for you, unlike the majority of automated manuals (that can disregard or overrule driver selection or inaction). There is also a bit of the smug condescention that comes from the knowledge that it takes more driver skill to properly drive a 3 pedal manual than a paddle shift. With respect to power assisted steering, the near death of manual steering (it still exists on the Lotus Elise and Caterham 7) has far more to do with the increased girth of modern cars than it does for any lack of desire to maintain full and unassisted control. While steering boxes could be designed with sufficient gearing reductions to make manual steering possible in a 3,600 lb car, the trade-off would be a large steering whell with ratios that give you 4 turns lock to lock; Hardly a recipe for spirited driving.
I agree with all you've said. It serves to solidify the point I was making: if this whole manual thing is really about connection and/or control, why drive a 3600 pound car with all its computers and safety net driver aides? I can appreciate a good manual, but these "manual or nothing" folks are out of control. The manual in the F8x is fantastic. The manual in the E9x M is pretty awful, in my opinion. It's super sloppy and feels dated (I'm pretty sure it's out of the E39 M5). Just having a manual to prove one's enthusiasm is missing the whole point of auto enthusiasm, in my opinion. It's about the enjoyment of the experience of driving, not branding oneself as a "car guy," like it's a clothing accessory, by driving a luxury-sports car with a manual transmission.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 12:32 PM   #62
cgoldie187
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: n/a

Quote:
Oh, he just "started an online business at a young age." That totally explains everything. When one wants to make money, one just starts an online business and one recieves money. I guess all those people working minimum wage jobs are just idiots! If they were smart, they'd just work really hard and "start an online business." I wish I would've thought of starting an online business when I was young. It would have saved me the trouble of everything else I've had to do in the last 20 or so years to "earn" what I have now. I can totally see how starting an online business when you're young would afford you the opportunity to pay for your own tuition and buy a $30k car with cash. Let's see: step one - underpants! step two - ... step three - profit!
Listen guy. My mom is a hairdresser and my dad is a fireman. Their grandparents were immigrants. You're making a fool of yourself. I started with a computer that my dad bought for me and then he said good luck.

Your jealousy and hostility towards strangers is pretty appalling.

I'm signing off of this forum, I thought this was a place for car enthusiasts to appreciate cars, not get harassed by random old men who know nothing of my situation and try to wrongfully degrade my accomplishments.

F off man.
Appreciate 4
      01-03-2018, 12:39 PM   #63
cgoldie187
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

This is not a knock on the OP. Just because I couldn’t afford it (having to support myself in college as well as my sick mother) doesn’t mean others shouldn’t be able to work hard and have things like a last year of production, ZCP E92 M3 (read: one of the most expensive models on the used market available). I’m just incredulous because EVERY “rich kid” that you read about online or hear about through YouTube has actually had a significant amount of his life subsidized by his parents.

If I was truly on my own at age ~22 and had $35-40k lying around for a car, I’d probably still keep it in savings and start maxing out my IRA immediately. Because even if you have the money, your financial future as a college grad is still far too uncertain. Which leads me to believe that best case, he still has mommy and daddy to fall back on if things go south.

I started working at a marketing firm when I was 13, became a "partner" at 14 (there were only two of us, so not that big of a deal). Age made no difference as it was all over the internet. I started selling websites on a forum and through some connections I made, met the people who would be the guys who showed me the ropes and ended up hiring me.

I set aside my college funds, have a retirement fund, and have various investments. I paid cash for my M3 because you live once and I never want to drive a boring car.

Since I started working I saved every single penny I made. Drove a 20 year old truck. Decided it was time to spoil myself with a nice car as I would watch YouTube videos of M3's for motivation everyday.
Appreciate 3
      01-03-2018, 12:42 PM   #64
cgoldie187
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
I'm just going to address this final comment. I have tried to get all of my friends to work with me and start their own online businesses. None of them want to do it. Some tried and gave up after a few weeks. It's not easy. A combination of hard work, luck and good timing resulted in my business doing well.
Appreciate 1
BOOF-M34451.50
      01-03-2018, 12:44 PM   #65
JAYBLS
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgoldie187 View Post
Listen guy. My mom is a hairdresser and my dad is a fireman. Their grandparents were immigrants. You're making a fool of yourself. I started with a computer that my dad bought for me and then he said good luck.

I'm signing off of this forum, I thought this was a place for car enthusiasts to appreciate cars, not get harassed by random old men who know nothing of my situation and try to wrongfully degrade my accomplishments.

F off man.
I know what you claim your situation to be and can see obvious holes in the progression. Firemen can make a very good living, so can hair dressers. Any situation can be made to sound however it needs to suit any given narrative. Everyone has immigrant grandparents, this is America. My grandparents were immigrants. I don't know where you're getting jealousy from. I'm certainly not jealous of you. Hostile? I guess I'm hostile to all bullshit. I'm not degrading your accomplishments, I'm questioning your story as to how you achieved them.

I don't know why you'd leave the forum if I'm making a fool of myself and you really have gotten everything you have from a gifted computer and no guidance or financial support (which is impossible, but whatever people believe ends up being regarded as the "truth"). Trust me, this forum will have your back if you stick around.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2018, 12:44 PM   #66
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgoldie187 View Post

F off man.
Goldie, hang in there man. You thought right this is a great forum for car folks. Don't let the occasional weird comments change that mate. There are tons of good info and fun discussions that compensate well.
Appreciate 0